What Gear oil to use in the trans 2000 jetta

Mbmaring

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL Black on Black
What Gear oil to use in the trans 2000 jetta tdi? Thinking I should change at 200,000

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Rumor has it that the new G70 from VAG is top notch stuff!

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Manual or automatic? It hasn't been specified.

Automatic -> use nothing but the VW specified fluid! Do NOT use Dexron/Mercon fluids.

Manual -> Use any GL-4 gear oil. Remember, GL-4, not GL-5. It's okay if both specifications are given, but GL-4 must appear (if GL-5 is the only specification given, it may have additives that are not compatible with certain materials inside your transmission). Nothing wrong with the OEM VW gear oil. I've used Redline MTL and (in previous vehicle) Amsoil ... no noticeable difference.

Remember ... GL-4, not GL-5.

Mbmaring

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL Black on Black
I should have searched first

I see most everyone agrees do not use mobil one in a 5 speed transaxle

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
Mbmaring said:
I see most everyone agrees do not use mobil one in a 5 speed transaxle
What was their reasoning, was it GL-5?

eric_x

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 TDI Passat Wagon
Powder Hound said:
I vote for Redline MTL in a gear box. If an auto-slush box, I will pray for you.
MTL has been great with fixing frozen gears in the morning. Previously had what I think was the original gear oil, which took about 5 minutes in the morning to warm up. I haven't tried anything else in the TDI yet.

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta and 99.5 Golf, 2015 Passat TDI,BMW 2
Just get the vw tranny oil, I believe I paid $9.00 a litre from 1stVW about 2 months ago, I used to put the amsoil mt-90, the price was around $10.00, so for $9.00 you can not go wrong with the original oil.

TDI
2004 golf
Bob_Fout said:
What was their reasoning, was it GL-5?
Yes mobil 1 75w90 is GL-5. It also has some spec "MT-1" for manual transmissions but I really dont think its meant for a GL-4 replacement, and I would not suggest it. Works great in RWD rear ends though!

Odd... there are a TON of cars on the road that spec GL-4 trans lube, but its nearly impossible to get over the counter at auto parts stores. And most employees look at you like you have 10 heads if you start mentioning GL-4 or GL-5.

Best I have ever used --- Synthetic G52 part number G051-171-A2. 30 bucks a liter.... but wow... what smooth effortless shifting! Had to drain it out for other reasons...

Dimitri16V

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Golf, 04 Golf
Motul Gear 300
Redline MTL or MT90
Synchromesh ( dino but thin enough to prevent stifness in cold mornings )

TDI
2004 golf
I would NOT recommend redline MT-90 for colder climates. Performed very poorly in the chicago cold from ~40degrees and below. (until warmed up of course) MTL works just fine.

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
dieseldorf said:
Rumor has it that the new G70 from VAG is top notch stuff!
I heard the same from Growler on another forum. How is it in cold climates?

Need to get stocked-up for my upcoming 01M-ectomy. :cool:

eats1963

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium
I have to agree about the MT-90. I changed mine for the first time last fall, and during this extremely cold winter, it was VERY difficult to shift until everything warmed up. I will definitely be changing my fluid again before next winter.

JasonMc

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Jetta GL
I changed mine recently and used the Amsoil Severe Gear 75w90. I live in SoCal so it doesn't get very cold here. But even at 50 degrees it shifts a little rough until it get warm.

It says on the Amsoil website that it is suitable for GL-4 but it almost looks like a side note. Looks more like it was made for GL-5 applications.

Next time I will go with the Amsoil 75w90 Manual Transmission oil. It is specific for GL-4 applications.

TDI
2004 golf
eats1963 said:
I have to agree about the MT-90. I changed mine for the first time last fall, and during this extremely cold winter, it was VERY difficult to shift until everything warmed up. I will definitely be changing my fluid again before next winter.
Some claim a mix should be used ot MTL and MT90 but I disagree, MTL has worked great for me in the cold and extreme hot. I will be changing it within a year and sending it to the lab for analysis.

G70.. is there only 1 version? Is it synthetic?

rez311

Veteran Member
TDI
A3 TDI White
eric_x said:
MTL has been great with fixing frozen gears in the morning. Previously had what I think was the original gear oil, which took about 5 minutes in the morning to warm up. I haven't tried anything else in the TDI yet.
+1 on the Redline MTL. Fixed my 2nd gear grinding and brought the trans to like new... Stock fluid made it worse after the change...

http://www.redlineoil.com/products_gearlubricants.asp?categoryID=7

Last edited:

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
Revolutionary_mind said:
Some claim a mix should be used ot MTL and MT90 but I disagree, MTL has worked great for me in the cold and extreme hot. I will be changing it within a year and sending it to the lab for analysis.
G70.. is there only 1 version? Is it synthetic?
__. Last summer, I had my 5th gear set switched out for a .658 ratio gear. The installer drained the VW lube and refilled with Redline. Within 4 months, it started "popping out of 5th" but it's clear (looking at the damage) that the lube had nothing to do with the failure.

Last edited:

rez311

Veteran Member
TDI
A3 TDI White
I've put close to well over 80K with the redline transaxle fluid... Bad synchros or a damaged gear set would cause it to pop out, or the shifter linkage is worn out.

You might have better luck digging up a low milage transaxle and swap out the parts you want to reuse after inspecting them.

TooSlick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Audi 100S
The Amaoil GL-4 rated, 75w-90 is formulated significantly thinner that their severe gear. The GL-4 product is also non-corrosive to "yellow metals" at elevated temps & is the product to use. The 75w-90 Amsoil Severe Gear is a HD synthetic gear lube for differential use. It's excellent for heavily loaded diesel pickup axles that see heavy towing loads. But I would not use it for a manual transmission unless a GL-5 is required - something like a Subaru for example...

Last edited:

rez311

Veteran Member
TDI
A3 TDI White
TooSlick said:
The Amaoil GL-4 rated, 75w-90 is formulated significantly thinner that their severe gear. The GL-4 product is also non-corrosive to "yellow metals" at elevated temps & is the product to use. The 75w-90 Amsoil Severe Gear is a HD synthetic gear lube for differential use. It's excellent for heavily loaded diesel pickup axles that see heavy towing loads. But I would not use it for a manual transmission unless a GL-5 is required - something like a Subaru for example...

I've been using Amsoil since 1978 and have a fair amount of experience with their various fluids....
The only problem with this is GL5 works great with new transmissions. It's complete crap transmission fluid when the transmission has too many miles on it. I was about to junk my transmission until I switched over to the Redline stuff and have gotten another 50k+ out of my transmission. The thicker fluid compensates for the worn parts, not to mention that Redline has awesome products.

TooSlick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Audi 100S
GL-5 fluids are not required in manual tranaxles that are mounted in line with the driveshafts. This design does not incorporate hypoid gears - all the gears rotate along the same axis, so the gear tooth contact loads are much less.

Basically any manual transmission coupled to a transversely
mounted engine will not require a GL-5 level of AW protection.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Not to mention that the usual GL-5 anti-wear additives are corrosive to copper based alloys. This would include synchronizers, possibly some bearings and/or shims.