What exactly does the Dieselgate Warranty cover?

Zawurah

Veteran Member
TDI
Did you find out why the check engine light was on? Did you refill the adblue when the check engine light was on?

Whatever caused the ecu to freakout, it might happen again. Get a VCDS cable (or at a minimum a cheap $20 OBD scan tool), and if the check engine returns you can immediately check yourself to see what it's complaining about.

billbillw

TDI
2015 Touareg
I filled the AdBlue on a Friday with the low warning at something like 200 or 300 miles until no-start. It took 5 gallons and wasn't completely full. The low warning went away. On Sunday evening, I got a check engine light. Monday afternoon, the AdBlue Error came on. The codes retrieved by the dealer were for Reductant Quality and Reductant Consumption Low. The dealer tested the reductanct and it passed quality. I assume the check engine was for one of those codes.

The service advisor told me this happens often with these when the tank runs low. It seems to me that if that is an issue, it should give a warning much sooner than 600 miles. I'd really like to have a warning at something like 1500 miles. When I often drive 500 miles in a week, that doesn't leave much time to get the tank filled once the low warning comes on. If it happens again, I'm getting a tune and delete. I'm not sure how much having a Ross cable would help since I don't have a clue how to "re-adapt" the system.

Yes, I realize that $130 is not a lot of $. With the rental it is actually $172. It was more about the principle of things. The warranty should have covered it. Saying it was due to lack of maintenance was just a weasel move by the dealer.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I think the warning is supposed to come on when 1500 miles to empty is reached, or something like that. Usually when there is just a 200 or so miles to empty only warning there is something wrong with the system. If you put 5 gallons in and it wasn't full yet then it was pretty much empty. I try and fill mine when it will take a 2.5 gallon jug and be near full. Capacity of the tank is supposed to be 4.5 gallons if I remember correctly. This is where a VCDS tool comes in handy to scan before you go in to know what the codes are and research them yourself first. I usually have the scan printed out and with me when I visit the dealer for an issue. How can you discuss with them when you have to get all info from them first?

Last edited:

billbillw

TDI
2015 Touareg
My low warning came on with 600 miles until no start. Due to a busy schedule that week, it was down to 200 by the time I could fill it. I believe that was the same interval that came up shortly after I bought the vehicle. I would definitely prefer a 1500 mile warning. I think the specs say the AdBlue tank is 5.25 gallons.

LeeAtkins

TDI
2014 Q5
I have had great success with the warranty ! Heater core issue has turned into a motor replacement! Getting it installed this week at dealer
Loaner car provided , they charge vw
So the warranty covers pretty much anything other than transmission…. I’ve had fuel system replaced , timing , heater core , radiator, egr , and engine now ….. so it’s solid
Does the warranty cover abBlue if the warning comes up on the dash? My 2014 Q5 says that I have 500 miles until the car will not start.

LeeAtkins

TDI
2014 Q5
I filled the AdBlue on a Friday with the low warning at something like 200 or 300 miles until no-start. It took 5 gallons and wasn't completely full. The low warning went away. On Sunday evening, I got a check engine light. Monday afternoon, the AdBlue Error came on. The codes retrieved by the dealer were for Reductant Quality and Reductant Consumption Low. The dealer tested the reductanct and it passed quality. I assume the check engine was for one of those codes.

The service advisor told me this happens often with these when the tank runs low. It seems to me that if that is an issue, it should give a warning much sooner than 600 miles. I'd really like to have a warning at something like 1500 miles. When I often drive 500 miles in a week, that doesn't leave much time to get the tank filled once the low warning comes on. If it happens again, I'm getting a tune and delete. I'm not sure how much having a Ross cable would help since I don't have a clue how to "re-adapt" the system.

Yes, I realize that $130 is not a lot of $. With the rental it is actually $172. It was more about the principle of things. The warranty should have covered it. Saying it was due to lack of maintenance was just a weasel move by the dealer.

Does the warranty cover adBlue? A warning came up on the dash that says my 2014 Audi Q5 will not start in 500 miles unless the AdBlue is added.

Zawurah

Veteran Member
TDI
Does the warranty cover abBlue if the warning comes up on the dash? My 2014 Q5 says that I have 500 miles until the car will not start.
The dieselgate settlement gives free adblue refills outside the normal factory advertised service intervals.

So as long as your vehicle is not having a routine minor or major service job at the same time, then the dealer will refill adblue for free.

I'm not sure if you have to schedule an appointment for the fill up, or if you can just show up unannounced.

LeeAtkins

TDI
2014 Q5
Thank you for your response. I have had the Q5 serviced every 10,000 miles at the same dealer since I purchased it in 2015. They did the diesel "modification" in April 2018. The last service was at 110,000, miles and I have around 116,000 now. So hopefully this one will be free, we'll find out. I have made an appointment at the dealership for next Tuesday the 24th.

LeeAtkins

TDI
2014 Q5

xpert

TDI
2015 Passat Comfortline 6-speed Manual
Codes: cam sensor, glow plug 2 covered by Emissions Warranty?

Hi, my vehicle has difficulty starting sometimes. It cranks a lot until starting. I noticed this especially in hot days or after a night or several days of not starting. It has always started though, but yesterday I had the oil changed by my local service and they scanned and found two codes: cam sensor and glow plug 2. My mechanic told me that any of these codes could give engine starting problems, but that I should contact the dealer as they are both covered under emission warranty. It is a 2015 tdi with over 225k km. I called the dealer and they said that they would charge me the diagnostic and then they will see if it is covered. Anybody knows if the cam sensor or glow plugs are covered by Emissions warranty?

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Glow plugs are since I had one injector/glow plug replaced under the AEM warranty. Not sure about the cam sensor. Do you have any lights on? Always easy to get the dealer to do anything if the mil is on. Yes, they all tell you that you may have to pay the diag fee before they can do the next step.

xpert

TDI
2015 Passat Comfortline 6-speed Manual
Glow plugs are since I had one injector/glow plug replaced under the AEM warranty. Not sure about the cam sensor. Do you have any lights on? Always easy to get the dealer to do anything if the mil is on. Yes, they all tell you that you may have to pay the diag fee before they can do the next step.
No light is on except the windwasher fluid right now. :). But I had trouble starting the car sometimes and the OBD gives this error. My mechanic did not erase the codes.

LeeAtkins

TDI
2014 Q5
I've only owned the vehicle for about 15 months and 12,000 miles. It hasn't needed much other than 1 oil change which I did myself with VW approved oil and a Mann filter. What service is there for the DEF system other than keeping it full? I could see them blaming me if I let it run out completely and it was in a no-start condition, but I filled it with a few hundred miles to spare. It worked for several days with no issues and then it gave the error. They are just not taking ownership for a failure in the system.
I have always had my 2014 Audi Q5 TDI serviced every 10,000 miles (including oil change) with the dealer. I knew this was the only way to make sure any of the diesel warranty issues were taken care of for free. A couple of times the check engine light came on within a couple of days after the vehicle was serviced by the dealer. They acted like I might be charged, but it was reset for free every time because it was always related to the diesel emission system. They had to replace some sort of filter once after the check engine light came on, but it was also at their expense. I had the same issue with the Adblue alert last year, but had it taken care of by the dealer for free (including a rental car), since they could see that I had had the Q5 serviced at the dealership less than 10,000 miles prior. My Q5 has over 120,000 miles on it now, but I still might take it to the dealer every 10,000 miles, just to make sure that there are no other recalls that have to do with the diesel engine.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
No light is on except the windwasher fluid right now. :). But I had trouble starting the car sometimes and the OBD gives this error. My mechanic did not erase the codes.
A slow start can also be indicative of a low battery, especially in VW diesels. When my battery has been running low, the car starts like it's -15F instead of 75F. There have been reports of weird error messages when the battery gets too low. Have you checked the battery?

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
It is supposed to cover anything that sets a check engine light, except for the transmission. If you have codes set and not erased it should be covered as long as it isn't trans related.

werdna

Veteran Member
An obscure corner of northeastern Massachusetts
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon, 2013 Touareg Sport, 2015 GSW
In reading the actual text of the extended warranty, I saw the following:
You will receive a notice when Phase 2 of the emissions modification is available for your vehicle. You should expect to receive this notice
before June 30, 2019. If your vehicle has accumulated fewer than 40,000 miles (for automatic transmissions) or 70,000 miles (for
manual transmissions) at the time of your Phase 2 update, your car will need to have the Diesel Oxidation Catalyst replaced a second time,
before it reaches 150,000 miles. We will notify you when it is time to bring your car in for the second catalyst replacement.
My manual transmission 2015 GSW was modified in Feb 2019 with 50k on it. Am I reading this right that I should be getting a new DPF courtesy of VW at some point, or is there a catch I'm missing? (I'm at 135k now.)

ETA: I fail at effectively using search--after I posted this I found the more definitive thread on this question: https://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php?threads/phase-2-fix.515756/

(The short form is that yes they should do the phase 2B fix with parts replacement, and while early on a lot of dealers were confused idiots about it there were some updates from VW that have clarified the issue, VWC-22-13 has all the dirt.)

Last edited:

Noden

TDI
2015 VW Passat TDI SEL
Yes, it should be ten years or 120k miles from date of purchase. That should still give you at least 18 months of warranty coverage. That's making the assumption that the car was placed into service early in the 2011 cycle (Sept 2010). Even if you bought a ten year/120k warranty yourself, you would still use that up in about 5 years.
Would his apply to a 2015year as well?