What exactly breaks in ABS control unit?

prblue

TDI
Golf V 2005 4motion 2.0 TDI BKD 103kW
I read about a fairly common fault that happened to ABS control units with golf mk5 and similar cars. It was so widespread VW even offered some sort of "repair kit" until 2015.

These days those kits are gone, but there are some places that advertise "rebuilding /repair services" for those units and the pumps too.

Does anyone know what is it that breaks there? One of my hobbies is electronics so I have a well equipped electronics lab. I can easily replace smd components etc. But without knowledge of what breaks in those units it is like walking in the dark. Someone online said to "reflow solder joints". Can it be something so simple?

Anyway, if anyone knows, please tell (unless repairing them is your business in which case I can understand not wanting to say).

Jbwoo

TDI
15 GSW 06 Jetta BRM
I’ve had one fail and give the error codes. R&R

I sent it to a company that repaired it, cost about 600. I think it was open it up and reflow the solder joints. But I can’t do that type of work.

prblue

TDI
Golf V 2005 4motion 2.0 TDI BKD 103kW
Well, I finally managed to get access to vcds. It turns out what I thought was an issue with the ABS unit wasn't really it... But I discovered a new issue with the abs unit.

Specifically the code it throws is:
DTC memory check - intermittent

It is not causing any serious trouble so I'm going to spray some contact cleaner into the electrical connectors and just leave it be as I have another problem to solve. Unfortunately what I thought was the issue with the ABS pump turned out to be "AWD, Haldex Clutch Pump - defective" code. I'm going to start a new thread about it as this one was really just for the abs. Thanks for replies.