What Else Should I Do When Changing Rotors?

VelvetFoot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, Yellow
I am about to attempt to change front and rear rotors and pads (the rotors have 185k miles). Anything else I should do? Thanks

meganuke

TDIClub Contributor, Vendor
TDI
2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid
Check the boots on the sliding pins for cracks or tears. Lubricate those pins. Look for corrosion or dirt around the piston. Clean any debris out with a toothbrush. Inspect the brake lines for cracks or dry rot.

golfstream

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf, 2000, Black
meganuke said:
Check the boots on the sliding pins for cracks or tears. Lubricate those pins. Look for corrosion or dirt around the piston. Clean any debris out with a toothbrush. Inspect the brake lines for cracks or dry rot.
All good advice. I just replaced the rotors (all four) on my 2000 Golf after 130k miles. Everything was in good order but those guide pins were dry!

You do have a good quality impact driver and bit, right? That little countersunk retainer screw can be stubborn.

Mel

VelvetFoot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, Yellow
Thanks guys. The first one came off pretty easily, including the retaining screw. I pickled it in PBR for an hour; maybe that helped. I absentmindedly put some anti-seize on the wheel bolts. Should I try to remove it before putting the wheels back on? Thanks again.

Herm TDI

Vendor
Richmond, Maine...The far side of Witsend
TDI
2002 Golf GLS Malone Stage 3, P+520 nozzles, 11MM Inj pump, Sachs VR6 clutch, Stelth Race Pipe, Immo Deleat, EGR Deleat
One of the most over-looked issues is hub-face corrosion.
Once the rotor is removed check the hub face for corrosion. Replacing the rotors and not cleaning the rub face of corrosion can (and will) cause brake pedel "pulsing". I use a non-metalic wheel on an air drill to clean the hub face. Once I get a clean surface I install the new rotor.

Aero-TDI

TDI
GL, 2003, Blue
i would change the bearings. My car has 123k and they need to be changed really bad. I think that might be also because of taking turns a little to fast.