What does VW really give you with a warranty

TTDI

Just a letter to fellow TDI owners that VW's "warranty" may not be worth the paper it is written on.
I have a 2000 A4 TDI Jetta and it has been maintained meticulously with regular washing and waxing and to my amazement the right front fender is all rotted out just above the tire. Now I know you are saying this should go in the A4 forum but this story applies to all VW owners.
I brought the car to Gallery VW in Norwood and the service manager pronounced the rust " your fault " as he claimed a door ding had created the damage. I told him to look at the car and see every little nick had been carefully painted immediately and the car had no such door ding or damage. The rust was coming from the inside of the fender. Needless to say the service manager proudly stated that VW would not honor its 12 year unlimited mileage perforation warranty as he deemed it the owner's responsibility.
For the record, there was never a door ding or chip here, I washed the car and a large piece of paint came right off in my hand.
I paid a visit to Quirk VW in Braintree. Before the service manager even looked at the car he told me that VW would not cover the rust as in his words " I have been with with VW for 16 years and I only know of 2 cars they have ever repaired for rust" . Feeling confident he would make mine the 3rd car I walked him over to see the damage. Without even looking under at the rust he claimed the damage was from a stone chip inside the fender well area and that is not covered by warranty.
Now I just heard the door ding description from Gallery VW and now the mysterious stone chip theory from Quirk.
Both dealers stories contradicted each other. Gallery VW claimed it started from the top down, Quirk VW claimed it started from the bottom and worked up. Needless to say, they both sang the same theme "Volkswagen will not honor it "
I put a call into VW to explain the whole scenario and they were full of apologies. They would follow up with Quirk to see as I requested that the field manager see the car. A call comes back from VW a few hours later and they "regretfully" informed me that the decision from the service manager at Quirk is final despite the field manager not even seeing the car. VW explained that they trust their service managers to work as partners with them..........
Bottom line: A warranty is only as good as the company that backs it up. VW has proven time and time again that they know how to write a warranty, but they don't intend on honoring it. Keep this in mind if you ever venture into a VW dealership with the thought of getting a new one. My family owns 5 VW's in total ( 4 TDI's and 1 Eurovan ) and everyone agrees, they don't think Volkswagen stands behind their vehicles. We have come to the realizaton that VW cars are not worth the cost of ownership. Honda will get the next business.
I would love to post the pictures of the rust so that everyone can see for themselves.
I wish everyone good luck with their cars, I just want you to know what is in store for you if you have to put a warranty claim in with VW.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Hi, TC. Welcome to Fred's. You're not really breaking any new ground here. Many of us have already lived VW scenarios that have taught us these cars don't really have any warranty at all - - brand new or otherwise. Furthermore, if you don't display any self-reliance, these cars are a really bad choice for the general public.

Take a hard look at the new Accord equipped w/MANual gearbox...it's capable of some impressive MPG.

Take care.

FL2AK-tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS Sedan
TTDI said:
We have come to the realizaton that VW cars are not worth the cost of ownership. Honda will get the next business.
Ditto. In fact, my girlfriend and I are going to the Honda dealership later this week, and then to the Toyota dealership after that.

I have bought my first, last, and only VW. It's too bad too, overall I like the car, it's just a POS.

vwcampin

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 GLS TDI Auto

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
FL2AK-tdi said:
Ditto. In fact, my girlfriend and I are going to the Honda dealership later this week, and then to the Toyota dealership after that.
I have bought my first, last, and only VW. It's too bad too, overall I like the car, it's just a POS.
__. The only way to really get your money out of a car is to hold on to it for a while. So, I'll be keeping mine, gritting my teeth as I wait for whatever else is going to break and trying to figure out what it's going to cost me. But the flutter is already in my heart for when the $$ balance falls for getting rid of this POS and making it "the last VW I'll ever own". Unfortunately, it won't be soon but it can't come soon enough.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
TTDI said:
VW explained that they trust their service managers to work as partners with them...
Interesting... Quite a contrast to when a VW dealer messes up a timing belt (or some other mechanical repair) and VW says that they're all independent franchisees and VW will not step in and mediate...

At least some of the other manufacturers out there have the reputation for at least appearing to stand behind their products...

Y.

FL2AK-tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS Sedan
mrGutWrench said:
__. The only way to really get your money out of a car is to hold on to it for a while. So, I'll be keeping mine, gritting my teeth as I wait for whatever else is going to break and trying to figure out what it's going to cost me.
Agreed. We're buying her a car; we're not trading my tdi. My tdi will be paid off this year.

mrGutWrench said:
But the flutter is already in my heart for when the $$ balance falls for getting rid of this POS and making it "the last VW I'll ever own". Unfortunately, it won't be soon but it can't come soon enough.
Amen.

thebigarniedog

Master of the Obvious
TDI
1998 Jetta tdi
To the op, your best bet is to check out the vortex classified parts section and see if you can score a replacement fender in your color. Chances are you can and best part is that it should be less than $100 shipped if your patient and look. Good luck

TTDI

Thank you very much for the TSB. My fender is rusted in the exact spot of the magic foam pad. I am hold now with VW customer "care" .
I will take them to small claims court here in MA if they don't pull through on this. I don't think there is a jury alive that won't see the picture on this one.
I have to say, every time I ever have a question regarding these Jettas, I am overwhelmed by the information you guys have collected. From the glow plug harness ( which my light is always on ) to the check valve in the fuel tank when it blocked up during a cold spell years ago, you guys have pulled through for me. I have to repair all the cars in my family (17 cars total ) and the one I get the most information on is the VW for all the unpublished problems. I can't thank you enough.
Tom

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
TTDI said:
Thank you very much for the TSB. My fender is rusted in the exact spot of the magic foam pad. I am hold now with VW customer "care" .
I will take them to small claims court here in MA if they don't pull through on this. I don't think there is a jury alive that won't see the picture on this one.
I have to say, every time I ever have a question regarding these Jettas, I am overwhelmed by the information you guys have collected. From the glow plug harness ( which my light is always on ) to the check valve in the fuel tank when it blocked up during a cold spell years ago, you guys have pulled through for me. I have to repair all the cars in my family (17 cars total ) and the one I get the most information on is the VW for all the unpublished problems. I can't thank you enough.
Tom
Small claims court in MA uses a jury?

Have you checked with a body shop about fixing just the one spot, to see if the time and energy spent going to court is justified?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
They should fix that. That is not uncommon in salty states. We don't see it much here. VESIS had a TSB on that years ago actually.

Sure am glad I have never needed a warranty for anything though. :D

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Sad to say, but you bought a VW, not a warranty. This is why it's no big deal that they are going to three year "warranties"; they don't have anything to begin with so cutting back from nothing, leaves nothing.

FL2AK-tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS Sedan
whitedog said:
Sad to say, but you bought a VW, not a warranty. This is why it's no big deal that they are going to three year "warranties"; they don't have anything to begin with so cutting back from nothing, leaves nothing.
Dude, isn't that a song?

"somethin' from nothin' leaves nothin'....you gotta have somethin'..."

I heard Jesus singing it during an episode of Jesus and Friends on South Park.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
lkchris said:
Clear up the first misconception: all warranties are purchased, not "given."
True. To get a general idea what they cost, compare two reasonably identical minivans:
Chrysler Town & Country Touring, 3.8-Liter V6 OHV Engine, 6-speed automatic transmission, 3-year/36k-mile warranty, plus lifetime drivetrain warranty; $28,980 including destination.

Volkswagen Routan, 3.8-Liter V6 OHV Engine, 6-speed automatic transmission, 3-year/36k-mile warranty; priced under $25k according to Stefan Jacoby at the Chicago Auto Show.

The T&C may be worth at least a thousand more, because of some special seat features that the VW won't get. I'm assuming the "under $25k" for the Routan will be before destination charges. At any rate, there is a couple thousand dollars difference, and part or most of that difference is the cost of the Chrysler warrantee.

TTDI

I spoke with the VW "Advocate" and they said that with this new information, they would review the case. This is like watching a kangaroo court in action........
In MA they don't use jurys for small claims court. If I end up going there, I think this TSB makes it a no brainer but you never know.

VW has promised to call me back today with an answer.

FL2AK-tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS Sedan
TTDI said:
I spoke with the VW "Advocate" and they said that with this new information, they would review the case. This is like watching a kangaroo court in action........
In MA they don't use jurys for small claims court. If I end up going there, I think this TSB makes it a no brainer but you never know.

VW has promised to call me back today with an answer.
LMAO @ "kangaroo court"

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
lkchris said:
Clear up the first misconception: all warranties are purchased, not "given."
__. I'm not a lawyer (I don't play one on TV, in fact, I don't play anything on TV if you discount those X-rated movies I starred in in the '70's that sometimes show up on the Purple-XXX Channel) but I was under the impression that a warranty given as part of a vehicle sale was either a contract on it's own or formed part of a sales contract.

__. So, let's see, we "purchased" a VW warranty but VW won't meet it's side of the contract. Geeze, I can't decide which POS I'm going to be gladder to be rid of --

1) The POS car, or,

2) The POS car COMPANY.

FL2AK-tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS Sedan
mrGutWrench said:
__. I'm not a lawyer (I don't play one on TV, in fact, I don't play anything on TV if you discount those X-rated movies I starred in in the '70's that sometimes show up on the Purple-XXX Channel) but I was under the impression that a warranty given as part of a vehicle sale was either a contract on it's own or formed part of a sales contract.

__. So, let's see, we "purchased" a VW warranty but VW won't meet it's side of the contract. Geeze, I can't decide which POS I'm going to be gladder to be rid of --

1) The POS car, or,

2) The POS car COMPANY.
LOL hahaha too funny!

Hey, you need to go over to this other thread: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=2133148#post2133148 and post htere as well. I mentioned you by name as one VW owner who in not in love with VW.

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG PKG 1 17" VV Campy White/Beige
i thought I read somewhere that they now have wheel wells for that model - is that the only rust spot on the car. That car may be worth the price of two new fenders with whell wells.

I have made wheel wells from Neoprene - 1/8 thick 48" wide, you buy by the foot. The really hard part is you must drill some holes. First you fit and cut the liners then trim excess. Then remove the liner and zinc paint the drilled holes and dry well. You then apply the color paint or sealer coat and once again tere is drying time. After the paint is dry appy a small amount of permatex to each drilled hole and begin assembly. Fill the threads of every retaining screw with permatex and run it in. Run the screw back out 1/2 and then back in. I have had excellent results with this method. Very few failures, less than 1 in 20. The most important are on the edge of the fender. When ever you can always and I mean always use any hole the MFG already placed on the edge, drill none if possible. Yes its very hard to do but worth it.

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
FL2AK-tdi said:
Originally Posted by mrGutWrench

1) The POS car, or,

2) The POS car COMPANY.

LOL hahaha too funny!

Hey, you need to go over to this other thread: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=2133148#post2133148 and post htere as well. I mentioned you by name as one VW owner who in not in love with VW.
__. It is with many apologies and extreme embarrassment on my part that I note that I forgot to add:

3) The POS car COMPANY'S POS Stealers!

I mentioned you by name as one VW owner who in not in love with VW.
__. And I've nominated you for the Harold McMillan Memorial Great British Stiff Upper Lip and Polite Understatement Annual Award.

FL2AK-tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS Sedan
mrGutWrench said:
__. It is with many apologies and extreme embarrassment on my part that I note that I forgot to add:

3) The POS car COMPANY'S POS Stealers!

__. And I've nominated you for the Harold McMillan Memorial Great British Stiff Upper Lip and Polite Understatement Annual Award.
I'm not sure if that means if you're angry with me or not.

Or are you saying htat I used typical British understatement in saying that you do not love VW.

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
FL2AK-tdi said:
are you saying htat I used typical British understatement in saying that you do not love VW.
__. NO MORE CALLS, PLEASE! We have a WINNER!!!!! ;)

gus54rz

TDI
2002 beetle TDI automatic
Really the only reason i bought a VW was because of the diesel powerplant,,, ,,, to bad they couldnt just let the japanese re-engineer these cars , for now get ready to b nickle and dimed to death [really 100 and 1000 dollared to death is more like it ] soon we should have more choices, Ford, GM , honda, ect

FL2AK-tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS Sedan
gus54rz said:
Really the only reason i bought a VW was because of the diesel powerplant,,, ,,, to bad they couldnt just let the japanese re-engineer these cars , for now get ready to b nickle and dimed to death [really 100 and 1000 dollared to death is more like it ] soon we should have more choices, Ford, GM , honda, ect
Yeah because Ford makes such a great product.

(that was sarcasm by the way)