What does this sensor do?

tbones

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat wagon tdi, 1991 Corrado TDI (sold)1983 Vanagon 7pass.GL 1.6td 1982 Westy;THE PHOENIX 1.6na(NOW JX/5speed) my partner's 2014 Jetta Sportwagon 6spd manual AND MY NEW TOY/PROJECT... Sunny, a bright yellow 87 syncro Westy with 1Z TDI motor
Hey gang,

Trying to keep my mind off of everything else going on out there in the world, I am playing with my Tdi motors again.

This is a picture off my 97 sedan, but I also have it in my 1Z powered Vanagon.

I am in the process of trying to fabricate a better air cleaner than the crappy K&N one that came with the van when I purchased it.
In order to make room for The air cleaner,
I may need to remove the pipe that connects to the turbo. On that pipe is a sensor, it is where the EGR valve on the valve cover sends the oily air intake to be burned.

Can somebody tell me what it does, and what would happen if I delete that sensor?

Thanks everybody
Please stay safe and healthy!

regards
Steve

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Its useless. It's a small heater to keep the frost low from ccv gasses from becoming ice and hitting the turbo fins and causing damage.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Well.... lol it has a use. Just ..... its needed so that VW can sell in all areas including the north pole lol.
Of you have it, leave it plugged in but if you like I have a custom intake to a bigger turbo, dont worry about it. Especially if you have a oil catch can.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The oil catch can mess can freeze solid, too. They are typically even more likely to, since people usually mount them far away from any available engine heat.

But since diesels don't burn as much fuel, they don't make as much water. So even with higher (normal) crankcase pressure potential, the amount of "freezable" content in the breather is probably pretty low. I've never heard of nor seen a TDI have an issue with that at least, and these are pretty popular in colder areas (Canada), so... chances are it'll never really get much use for a lot of people.

I have seen several of the added on nonsense cans on TDIs freeze up, though. But when this happens they seem to just leak (or in one case, simply explode) and make an oil mess all over. Crankcase ventilation seems to be one of those things that a lot of people overthink, and find solutions for problems that don't really exist.

Now some VAG gas engines, on the other hand.... yeah, problems DO exist there. But diesels, not so much.

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
Its useless. It's a small heater to keep the frost low from ccv gasses from becoming ice and hitting the turbo fins and causing damage.
I don't see how it could do much much good once the vapors actually enter the intake stream. They're going to turn to snow in there anyway.

It's a heater to keep the crankcase vent from icing up.

tbones

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat wagon tdi, 1991 Corrado TDI (sold)1983 Vanagon 7pass.GL 1.6td 1982 Westy;THE PHOENIX 1.6na(NOW JX/5speed) my partner's 2014 Jetta Sportwagon 6spd manual AND MY NEW TOY/PROJECT... Sunny, a bright yellow 87 syncro Westy with 1Z TDI motor
Hi all
Thanks for the 411 on this.
the PO installed a LARGE catch can, and it leaked. Does the 1Z really need this? Is it bad to just burn that oil through the stock system where the oil vents into the intake pipe?

would having the motor sit at 50* as it does in the Vanagon cause any extra problems?

Another thought:
The old 1.6 diesels had a plastic oil deflector just under the valve cover to help deflect oil from getting thrown out of the PCV valve, is that a useful item on a 1Z motor? Could I modify a 1,6 deflector to fit?

thanks again!
Steve