What does this nut belong to?

Baker83

TDI
2014 Passat
I recently had service done on my 2014 Passat TDI Sel. Service performed was replacement of camshaft seals, sprockets bolts, camshaft pulley bolts, timing belt, tensioner, rollers, water pump, coolant, and valve cover gasket. This additional service was performed after my 100,000 mile service and found that there was an oil leak which needed attention, so I took care of it. Now that all service is done...I have found a random nut laying on the bottom engine cover (shown in pictures). Does anyone know what this nut belongs with? I did some research and it looks like the one used in the timing belt assembly but unsure. Is this something I need to worry about? Thank you for your help.

Picture of where I found nut

Picture of found nut

Picture of nuts in the timing belt assembly from a service video. You can see these look very similar but think the one I found is much smaller than these

Last edited:

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
You're just talking about the little (looks like 10mm) nut here, right?

In which case...I don't think it's anything to worry about. The 10mm nuts like that typically just hold a plastic something to another something. Mechanic probably dropped it, couldn't see it or get to it easily, so reached into the nut-bin and pulled out a replacement.

arniewallace

TDI
99GT TDi - 02 Bora Sport 130
Its either off the fuel filter mounting points or off the mounts for the metal coolant pipe, running to the EGR cooler.

Baker83

TDI
2014 Passat
You're just talking about the little (looks like 10mm) nut here, right?

In which case...I don't think it's anything to worry about. The 10mm nuts like that typically just hold a plastic something to another something. Mechanic probably dropped it, couldn't see it or get to it easily, so reached into the nut-bin and pulled out a replacement.
Thank you! You would expect better from a certified tech at one of the top VW dealerships here in North Scottsdale AZ.

Scubanero

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon
I am pretty sure those are bolts. The recess in the centre is for XZN bit drivers. It is easy to check: take the engine cover off and undo two spring clips to get the upper cover off the timing belt.

arniewallace

TDI
99GT TDi - 02 Bora Sport 130
Not off anything to do with the timing belt assembly or its fixings as it looks too small, like an m6 (10mm spanner fits it). The timing uses m8 as the smallest, it has 2 nuts and the rest are bolts. The nuts are used on the tensioner and the idler before the tensioner. It looks like an m6 nut to me. Hope this helps.

Baker83

TDI
2014 Passat
Thank you everyone!! This has been resolved. I took it back to the mechanic and they said it was most likely an extra one that fell into the bay and could have been from the fuel injectors. Since I didn’t have fuel spewing everywhere it seemed to be in fact just an extra one that fell. They double checked their work and the fuel injectors and all was good.