What does a bad wheel bearing sound like?

Cailean

TDI
Jetta 1997 Green
My 97 Jetta TDI has developed a low whine or hum that increases with speed (not revs). It sounds like I've got winter tires on - but I don't.

Does this sound like a wheel bearing? Something else?

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI Comfortline 6spd
Front or rear,when you go aorund a turn does it get louder in one direction than the other,?

bikeprof

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 Variant white, 1996 Town & Country 3.8 LXI
Sounds like a deep gurgle/throat sound.
The more you make a turn/harder turning, the more the sounds gets deeper and scratch-ier.

Get the best wheel bearings, they are worth it, otherwise you'll have to change them again in about six months :( !

Cailean

TDI
Jetta 1997 Green
hmmm... no gurgling. I can only hear it in certain speed ranges... 70-110 km/h in particular.

I'm going to do a thorough check of the tires and pressures - and try to not to get frostbitten in the process! ;)

Thanks all for your help.

bikeprof

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 Variant white, 1996 Town & Country 3.8 LXI
You can also pull/push the top part of the tire hard and feel any movement at the axle.
There is no need to lift the car, just grab the top inside and outside of the tire and move it inwards/outwards...
if there is a bad bearing or stub(wheel hub), you'll feel something loose.

Do not wait to replace the wheel bearing 'cause the wheel hub will wear out and then you have to replace that part also AND it costs a lot more than what you think!
Sounds like what the wheel hub that I had to replace on the right side front...

Last edited:

TDI SERF

TDI
1998 Jetta
I just got my front pass. done. sounded like I was running a super swamper tire up front. The noise was so loud I could not even hear the TDI running. The noise got stronger the faster I went but seemed to go away when turning.

Chubber

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
bikeprof said:
Do not wait to replace the wheel bearing 'cause the wheel hub will wear out and then you have to replace that part also AND it costs a lot more than what you think!
I would go ahead and replace the hubs at the same time you do the bearings. They are only around $20 each at AutohausAZ and worth it to make sure that the inner races fit tight to the hub. If the master nut has ever been loose, you will probably need a new hub anyway.

Chubber

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
Almost forgot: You can do the job yourself without too much hassle if you are willing to get an alignment afterwards. I had a writeup here about how to do it and make your own bearing tool for about $20.

1point9turbo

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDi Black
i jsut rebuilt my whole front end last weekend and i can tell you, the wheel bearing was completely SHOT (had to cut it out with an acetylene torch) and that it didnt make the usual noise described as getting louder when you turn the wheel one way.

turning my steering wheel 15 degrees to the left made it completely go away. anything to the right of that made the hum that increased with speed. it was instantaneous like an on/off switch. another good test that seemed to work, my wheel had about a 1/4 inch of play all around. jack up the wheel in question and jiggle it up/down. this didnt work with the wheel on the ground for me. left me perplexed for a while. i was very suprised how worn out everything was and was amazed i only heard noise from the bearings.

i replaced just about every moving part in my front end and it is buttery smooth and silent like a new audi and very nice. hope that helps u along..

danix

Veteran Member
TDI
None now. Former: 2011 335d, 2010 Jetta TDI, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon. 99.5 Jetta TDI, 98 NB TDI, 3 different black 96 Passat TDI wagons.
On the front end, you will notice vibration in your side mirror.