What did you spend your Goodwill money on?

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Where did you see "DOT approved" for the Curt hitch? There is no DOT approval for trailer hitches. DOT has standards for hitches but no approvals. There are also SAE J684 standards and V5 standards. The Westfalia hitch I have on my current VW (and the wifes Mercedes) both exceed the minimum standards.
You are correct. Assumptions can bite back somethimes. I assumed that since the Westfalia hitch wasn't DOT approved the curt was.

SAE J684 is indeed the standard for which hitches are judged.

exbauer

TDI
MK7 Golf
Has anyone tried to order parts on-line from any of the VW parts stores that sell via internet using the VW card? I tried to place an order this morning, but there apparently isn't any provision for the use of this card when ordering on-line (1stVWparts.com).
You probably have to call them and pay for it over the phone with the VW gift card.

soot1

Veteran Member
TDI
Currently none. Formerly: 2010 VW Jetta TDI 6M, 1993 Dodge Ram W250 Cummins 5M 4WD, 1990 VW Jetta Diesel 5M, 1986 VW Jetta Diesel 5M, 1980 VW Uabbit Diesel 4M. Currently driving 2018 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD.
You probably have to call them and pay for it over the phone with the VW gift card.
After a few unsuccessful attempts to reach the parts department of 1stvwparts.com, they eventually answered, and told me I need to select VISA as the issuing authority for the white VW card, despite the fact that there is no such logo on the card. I tried that, and it worked like a champ, but the dealer still asked me to scan and send them a copy of the card and my divers license to prevent any fraud.

NAZ TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI DSG
Activated my cards today and decided to step over to the parts counter and stock up on supplies: oil and filters for two changes, one DSG change-oil and filter, one air filter, two fuel filters, and one cabin filter. Presto! $500 gone! The parts lady was nice enough to round $501.98 down to $500 even!

flyfishsick

TDI
---
I tried to add the card to my paypal account and it did NOT work? was try to buy something on here from an other member. ordered from amazon and the card worked?

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
I tried to add the card to my paypal account and it did NOT work? was try to buy something on here from an other member. ordered from amazon and the card worked?
Adding the VISA card to your PayPal account is essentially a cash transfer, much like an ATM transaction. The documentation that came with the card says that it can only be used for purchases (in other words - directly to a seller). Amazon takes it because you are purchasing an item, even if that item is a gift card. I guess they can put any kind of restrictions on these cards that they want to. Luckily this one is not too onerous.

Have Fun!

Don

UBUGME

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 VW Golf Sportwagen Gray
found something from a member here that i would like to buy and tried to add my card to my Paypal account and it would not work? :mad:
I tried to pay via PayPal using the Visa Card for hard drive on eBay yesterday and it was denied. That really pissed me off. So, I went to Walmart and got a $500.00 Money Order paying the $0.70 fee myself. Best way to liquidate the $500.00 Volkswagen Prepaid Visa Loyalty Card. Now I have control of the money without having to watch the balance on the card of figure out where it gets accepted or not.

Last edited:

exbauer

TDI
MK7 Golf
To get the PIN number to the debit card you have to call the number on the back of the card and ask them. There is already a PIN number assigned to the card. I will be going to Walmart and getting a money order shortly to cash out my gift card.

Last edited:

UBUGME

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 VW Golf Sportwagen Gray
To get the PIN number to the debit card you have to call the number on the back of the card and ask them. There is already a PIN number assigned to the card. I will be going to Walmart and getting a money order shortly to cash out my gift card.
PIN came with the card. It is on section 5 of the usage instruction manual.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
My dealer actually pointed it out and highlighted it for me when they activated my cards.

Have Fun!

Don

P.S. It always amazes me how few people actually read what they get (instructions, manuals, procedures, contracts, etc.).

exbauer

TDI
MK7 Golf
Goes to show I should read the things that came with it. My dealer that activated the cards were less than competent. It took them 2 days to activate them. One day since the system was down and another day since they were lazy.

GIDDY_UP_GO

Veteran Member
TDI
10 Jetta 13 Beetle Convertible 15 GSW
I just cashed in my (2) Goodwill packages this week. (I have 2 of these affected cars)

I spent the $1000 in Visa money on some things at Walmart that I normally wouldn't buy, but since I had the cards, why not splurge a little. The rest of the money I used to pay a hospital bill off and a couple misc. bills that I had.

As for the $1000 I had in dealer cash, I bought a sick set of wheels and tires off my local dealer for $500! (Yeah, I stole them!)

The other $500 in dealer cash I will use for my upcoming timing belt job on my 2010 TDI Jetta. It has 111,000mi on it, and should be due sometime next year.

Here is a pic of my wheel and tire combo I picked up. They are off a EOS Executive and are 18" rims wrapped in Pirelli 4 season 235/40/18's. I think they dress up the 2015 Jetta S model quite well.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
This thread should only be for posting about what you bought with your goodwill money.

Discussion about the goodwill program should be in the main goodwill thread in the General VW Discussion forum. Off topic posts will be deleted.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I bought a set of general altimax arctic snow tires (225/45 r17) with my dealer card. Haven't spent the other $500 yet.

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
Great taste sir! I see your TDI is present in the picture as well!
I agree. It's some good stuff. I was on the way home from my 40k service, which was on the house. Cheers.

Edit: I also spent a chunk this afternoon mailing out Christmas presents.

Last edited:

maybe368

Veteran Member
TDI
Happily none
Well I donated my 500 dollar cash card and I have decided what to do with the other. My boat needs 2 batteries, so, as long as VW has any AGM type with at least 900 ccas, I'm golden...Mark

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
I have two of the affected cars. We spent the Visa cards on some Christmas stuff and a new tool chest:

I'm still moving tools from the old locations. :)

As for the dealer cards, I'm still trying to figure out my best bang for the free-dollar. My Mk3 needs tires and an alignment really badly. That's a no brainer. I'm about four months from needing tires on the Mk6. So I'll check and see what the dealer can get. Something else may turn up later...

Scott

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
paid for the 40K service so far, till thinking about what to do with the balance...
I just did the same. I also got a nice VW coffee mug. I'll used the remaining balance for my 50k that I'll need in about 3-4 months.

On the anywhere card...I'm doing a little bit of everything. So far:

-Booze.
-Shipping Christmas presents.
-Doughnuts and coffee.
-Lunch (Wendy's).
-Sonicare toothbrush.
-Household goods.
-Purchase more Christmas presents.

I've got 1/3 of the balance remaining. I'll make it a game to see how far I can stretch it. I'm going to use it exclusively for my living expenses for...I'm guessing...the next 1-2 weeks.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
I just did the same. I also got a nice VW coffee mug. I'll used the remaining balance for my 50k that I'll need in about 3-4 months.

On the anywhere card...I'm doing a little bit of everything. So far:

-Booze.
-Shipping Christmas presents.
-Doughnuts and coffee.
-Lunch (Wendy's).
-Sonicare toothbrush.
-Household goods.
-Purchase more Christmas presents.

I've got 1/3 of the balance remaining. I'll make it a game to see how far I can stretch it. I'm going to use it exclusively for my living expenses for...I'm guessing...the next 1-2 weeks.
I'm ordering a set of tires for my wife's Hyundai Santa Fe from VW.

I wonder if they could order me a coffee mug with a Hyundai logo on it?

gulfcoastguy

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI sold, Mazda 3 purchased
I spent the cash card on a top of the line Dyson Animal vacuum cleaner so that I can finally get all of the Boxer hairs and treat crumbs out of the VeeDub. The dealer card will go for new tires in January.

I already have a Sonicare toothbrush and enough booze.

jjblbi

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SEL TDI
Visa card paid the first $500 of new Bilstein HD shocks from Tire Rack, my cost $140. Dealer $$ will have to be have to be filters, parts, maybe tires. Kinda sucks I bought an exhaust flap and wife's NB battery in the last 6 months...

TDILeo

Veteran Member
TDI
CW 2011 Golf TDI 6M Repurchased By VW 1/30/17 1985 VW GTI
You know, given that the ultimate disposition of my TDI is unclear at this moment in time, I am disinclined to add any hard accessories to it. Oil change and other basic services, yeah. But no window tinting, etc.

I think we will know sooner than later what will become of our gen1 TDIs.

kevin_in_idaho

Veteran Member
TDI
Returned 2012 Sportwagen DSG Pano White
You know, given that the ultimate disposition of my TDI is unclear at this moment in time, I am disinclined to add any hard accessories to it. Oil change and other basic services, yeah. But no window tinting, etc.

I think we will know sooner than later what will become of our gen1 TDIs.
That's the conclusion I've come to. I'll wait to see if they have to buy them back or do some type of trade-in/trade-up deal and maybe use the $500 towards that. We've got about 10-11 months to see what they come up with. I'm worried about the upgrades I've done on my own (fog lights, etc.) but will take all that off before (and if) I surrender my TDI. I have new tires on my original rims and an extra set of rims and winter tires (which I'll use as the trade in or get a set of worn tires and put them on too).

TDILeo

Veteran Member
TDI
CW 2011 Golf TDI 6M Repurchased By VW 1/30/17 1985 VW GTI
That's the conclusion I've come to. I'll wait to see if they have to buy them back or do some type of trade-in/trade-up deal and maybe use the $500 towards that. We've got about 10-11 months to see what they come up with. I'm worried about the upgrades I've done on my own (fog lights, etc.) but will take all that off before (and if) I surrender my TDI. I have new tires on my original rims and an extra set of rims and winter tires (which I'll use as the trade in or get a set of worn tires and put them on too).
Sounds prudent to me. I am going to keep both of my cards in the bullpen for now (at least until next November) in the event of a buyback/trade-in/trade-up scenario. Frankly, I think we will know by this Spring what will be offered for the gen 1 TDIs.