What did you do to your TDI today, during the coronavirus shelter-at-home?

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
I don't know how many hundreds or thousands of your posts I've seen on this board, Seatman, but I just realized now that you probably go by "Seatman" here because....your car is a Seat.
(Takes me a while, but eventually I get there. :D)

When I joined it was a Seat but then there's been 3 mk4 golfs in between and now back to a Seat, it seemed the next logical choice in my wagon journey lol

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
I swapped the CP3 between my 2010 JSW (before I start getting ready to clean it and then list for sale) and my 2013 JSW. I encountered a P0016 error, even though it did start up (but sounded like crap). Realigned my TB and worked great afterwards, including an 8 mile test drive. Stayed up until 5:30a getting the other car done, so I wouldn't have any open fuel lines, and it also cranks up. Put it on the battery tender while cutting some of my silicon boot on the 2013; I have a Darkside aluminum pipe kit that goes to an Audi S3 intercooler clone, but the hard pipe was rubbing against the oil pan. Cutting some of the silicon boot fixed that!

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Removed perfectly functioning dash vents out of the Mk4 Golf and put in lighted Jetta vents because....well, they were there.

Also wired up a USB-C cable to come out of the centre vents' blank plate to connect to magnetic iPhone charging mount (Pitaka) to give me a line-of-sight phone mount that is continuously charging without needing to plug/unplug a cable every time I get in/out of the car.
(For that time in the future when I hope to be getting in/out of the car more regularly.)

mjez

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta
Replaced driver's side half shaft and abs sensor on the same corner. Still have ABS light on the dash but at least I can drive the car now :). Next weekend it'll get washed and I'll take some pictures so I can post it for sale. I have too many cars.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

copilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
It's too early to have done anything today, but since the pandemic began my MK4 has been back on the road as a commuter. Over the past few weeks:
MAF, N75, Turbo actuator, rims and tires, instrument cluster, new radio w/AA.
New suspension is inbound from idparts and I have to locate and address a fuel leak.
Looking into upgrading the intercooler and turbo and keeping an eye out for other general refresh tasks to make her feel appreciated after spending so much time parked.

Trail Mutant

TDI
2004 Jetta / 280,000
I have an 04 Jetta TDI and replaced four shocks, 4 rotors, two tie rods, passenger side axle, 2 ball joints, two lower control arms. 270,000 miles. And sick of working on it as you can imagine.

mjez

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta
I have an 04 Jetta TDI and replaced four shocks, 4 rotors, two tie rods, passenger side axle, 2 ball joints, two lower control arms. 270,000 miles. And sick of working on it as you can imagine.
You're in Arizona, I would imagine your Jetta has a lot less corrosion than what we get here in the salt-belt haha. Imagine every time working on it the bolts snap because of corrosion. :((

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
I have too many cars.

I feel your pain! I'm trying to get my 2010 JSW ready to list it for sale, as I'm more than happy with just an ALH, BEW and CJAA (best of all three worlds).

On that note - I ordered Neuspeed Softsport springs for the front on my Mk4 Golf, along with Zimmerman 288x25 rotors and Akebono brakes (I'm doing the VR6 brake hub upgrade). In the process, I'll swap out my driver's side CV axle for one that I partially rebuilt, along with Bilstien B8 in the front and B6 in the rear (with my towing springs), and a Neuspeed 28mm rear swaybar. Last but not least, my alternator pulley is on its way out, so I ordered a replacement INA pulling from ecs tuning and the bit set to remove it from metalnerd.

Last edited:

TejGhost

TDI
Mk4 Tdi, Mk5 Tdi
I Powdercoated my intake manifold and Valve Cover @holdndown1bae on insta if you want this done to yours as well ;-)

Sent from my Note9

mjez

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta
Sold it.

I have original busted CV axle if anyone wants to rebuild it. I'm in far north suburbs of Chicago, closer to Wisconsin border, come and get it.

hooville

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GLS, 2016 GTI, 2015 TDI Sportwagen S
The MK4 has been getting all the love in the second act of the Pandemic: I replaced the OEM Cassette player & Phatnoise with a DD Sony with CarPlay, hands free calling and a backup camera. The stock speakers sound so good now that we're going to keep them for a while longer! :rolleyes:

Replaced the tail light bulbs while I was installing the camera and license plate bracket.

Upgraded the glove box to the larger version and FINALLY got around to removing the remaining soft touch paint on the dash and door handles. I still have to clean it off the armrest but now i can touch the dash without getting sticky black residue on my hands and clothes.
Installed lighted Jetta vents but somehow lost one of the wiring harness pigtails in the shuffle so the passenger vent illumination is on hold until the next trip to the pull-a-part.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
The MK4 has been getting all the love in the second act of the Pandemic: I replaced the OEM Cassette player & Phatnoise with a DD Sony with CarPlay, hands free calling and a backup camera. The stock speakers sound so good now that we're going to keep them for a while longer! :rolleyes:

Replaced the tail light bulbs while I was installing the camera and license plate bracket.

Upgraded the glove box to the larger version and FINALLY got around to removing the remaining soft touch paint on the dash and door handles. I still have to clean it off the armrest but now i can touch the dash without getting sticky black residue on my hands and clothes.
Installed lighted Jetta vents but somehow lost one of the wiring harness pigtails in the shuffle so the passenger vent illumination is on hold until the next trip to the pull-a-part.

They have a larger version of the glove box? Hopefully that version also means one where the door latch works!

And isn't that soft touch paint awful? I'm going to venture to guess your car has a black interior?

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
And isn't that soft touch paint awful? I'm going to venture to guess your car has a black interior?
Nitrile gloves, oven cleaner, green ScotchBrite pads - makes short work of that soft-touch crraaaaap.

hooville

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GLS, 2016 GTI, 2015 TDI Sportwagen S
Nitrile gloves, oven cleaner, green ScotchBrite pads - makes short work of that soft-touch crraaaaap.

Black interior indeed! I used TSP and a non-scratch sponge to clean it off: the first door handle I cleaned got scratched up pretty well with ScotchBrite so I switched scrubbers. It looks smoother but it takes longer to remove. I'm going to try oven cleaner when I tackle the armrest!

I upgraded to the larger one because my wife doesn't travel light... :rolleyes:

It's not difficult to do: remove glove box and the metal braces from behind, change the connector for the new light and you're done. The hardest part was removing the lock cylinder to put the old one in so the locks would match. It has the same latch.

I pulled the old glove box out a few years ago to fix the right hinge that had been broken for a good while and cleaned the soft touch off while it was out. MUCH easier to clean than in the car!

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 1999.5 jettaIV,2005 BEW Beetle
I didn't do anything to my own TDIs other than get the insurance taken off of them. All the sheltering has lessened the need for more than one vehicle between the wife and myself. Gas is cheap....what can I say. The Sorento is a better fit for her, too.

On the other hand, I have not run short of TDI work for others. While owners are not working, it is a good time for them to get caught up with needed repair and maintenance.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I finally managed to get an aftermarket Carplay in my VII.

The installation went smoothly and everything works like it should for now.

I've used this tutorial as it has pictures and everything if anyone else needs help *SPAM Link removed*
Can you post the installation instructions they gave you? I'm curious as to exactly what gets installed where and how. The page on their blog makes me ask more questions than it provides answers.
How long did it take for the unit to arrive to you in "United States" (which state)?
What trim is your car?
Will this work in a car with Fender Premium audio?

Last edited by a moderator:

Black00Jetta

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS Black 5spd
Did an oil/filter change (310k), replaced the 2 gaskets to the oil filter cooler (had an oil leak up north when temp dropped to 10 degrees last Oct.) and tightened passenger side drive shaft bolts (changed that about 7 years ago). 3 were finger tight and 3 were out about 2-3 revolutions. Dodged a bullet on that one. One reason why I rotate oil changes from topside to crawling underneath and checking underside!

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Spent a couple hours trying to get new (to me; definitely used) 3B0920847E cluster IMMO-matched to my 2003 Golf.
No luck yet.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Spent a couple hours trying to get new (to me; definitely used) 3B0920847E cluster IMMO-matched to my 2003 Golf.
No luck yet.
Note to self: Remember that you're old, and your memory - which used to be pretty good with numbers...not so good-like anymore.

Discovered that the issue with mating the new (to me) FIS cluster to my 2003 Golf was that I was using what I was *sure* was 8121 was the original PIN.
WRONG! :mad:

Used the proper one, and 10minutes later, everything's good.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
Sorry for the late input but I just dug this thread up thanks to our wonderful ****** like lock down in Ca. Rant over.

These post ar great to finds... acual 0 to 60 mph times. Ive got my 0 to 60mph numbers usinng s Pollar fis unit in my JSW 6m with a Kerma tune. I dont have pre Kerma info. unfortunately. 1st pic time is w/o a/c. The 2nd is with a/c on.

BTW what rpm do the different tunes/6m/DSG's shift at? This tends to want the next gear around 3600 rpm

Took it out and did some 0-60 tests.
7.79 seconds. Tested with an Ultraguage.
Tried to keep wheel spin to a minimum in first gear. The hardest thing with a stage 4 tune is getting traction to start moving.
I thought that was kind of lame, but then I looked up the stock time and it should be around 11.2 seconds. So it’s quite an improvement over stock.)
I wonder if times will change with out the traction control. It uses the brakes after all...

Not bad. not sure what my 0-60 time is with my 4500lb jsw with stage 2 tune and dsg tune. pretty stable at speed.
Anyone know?

I must ask what car you're talking about. 11.2 stock, doesn't sound like any TDI, unless dropped from an airplane...lol
:)
2004 Golf TDI. Everything I can find online suggests the 0-60 time is normally around 10 to 12 seconds. I never tested it myself before modifying it.
I'm impressed! I used PolarFIS to clock my JSW with a Stage 3.5, CP3 and CR170, and I think I got 7.9 seconds.

Last edited:

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
Today I finished doing a 5 speed swap on my 2003 ALH. Still need a few bolts for the shift cable bracket, hose from the master cylinder to slave cylinder, and then bleed the brakes/clutch line, and of course a test drive.

Next up on the same car, I need to finish my suspension refresh.