What did you do to your MkVI-A6 today?

97B4TDi

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 B4 Passat, 2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
What kind of customization, service, trip or unique encounter did you experience with your MkVI-A6 today?

I'll get the ball rolling with - PICKED IT UP!

Just picked up a 2013 JSW - DSG with 58,000

Liggett

TDI
'13 Jetta Sportwagon,'18 Ram Ecodiesel, '97 Passat TDI,'83 Jetta TD,'82 Jetta Diesel, 3-4 Golf and Rabbit diesels
I put a deposit down. LOL

We're picking up a '13 JSW 6 spd. with 110K, emissions done at 105K on Thursday

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
Welcome, youll love em'

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
I turned off the #$$%&*# Hill Hold function on my '14 JSW 6spd. :)
The clutch release doesnt seem real linear. Ive seen others complain of this. I feel I might be crazy wondering if somehow this contributes to the issue as there are NO inclines for miles. My wife and son are both experianced 3 pedal drivers and stall it regularly.

How has no hill hold improved your driving experiance? Did you exeriance stalling? I understand you can change hill hold timing?

New owner thread
forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=496462

Last edited:

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
I don't need hill hold for anything, but also have no issues with it. It doesn't bother me.

97B4TDi

Veteran Member
TDI
Today I applied a pre-fit 3M Paint Protection film kit to my headlights to prevent them from pitting and hazing over time.

Next up - DSG service and Window Tint!

USMCFieldMP

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta TDI
Bleeding the brakes with ATE Type 200 in preparation for my track day on Monday.

I wish I had ordered Goodridge Brake Lines last week, but I'm seeing a lot of conflicting info and part numbers from different vendors on which ones will fit the MK6 TDI. Everything ECS offers has the caveat of being for the cars with larger rear rotors (I have the 253mm rears).

I don't need hill hold for anything, but also have no issues with it. It doesn't bother me.
Yeah, I haven't found Hill Hold to be a hindrance at all. If you're new to diesels and you are wondering why you are stalling, it's not the hill hold, it's that the TDI's don't hold revs like a gas car does. It took me a month to adjust to it, but once I got used to it, there was no problem.

Larrymal2

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI sportswagen
Took it to the car wash, vacuumed and cleaned the windows and wheels. Went home and had lunch. Nothing else needed!

97B4TDi

Veteran Member
TDI
Added 3M PPF Film to both A-Pillars, Mirrors & Door Handle cups

Last edited:

Rockeye

TDI
2012 Golf TDi
Added 3M PPF Film to both A-Pillars, Mirrors & Door Handle cups
Thank you for the idea. Looking into this now. Did you do it yourself or take it to a shop?

The other day I changed my rear brakes and yesterday she got a full detail. Topped the detail off with that Top Coat F11 that I keep seeing. Seems to have worked thus far. The car got rained on about 3 hours after I was done detailing.

97B4TDi

Veteran Member
TDI
Thank you for the idea. Looking into this now. Did you do it yourself or take it to a shop?
I installed it myself. I run an automotive detailing and graphics shop and took a Saturday to template and design some pre-cut pieces.

If you’re a confident diy’er you can do it in a morning.

You want to have two solutions handy, a few micro fiber towels and a soft pliable squeegee. One solution mixture of baby shampoo + water and another at a ratio of 3:1 water + isopropyl alcohol.

Once the area is throughly cleaned (free of any wax, grease, silicone, bugs, etc) you mist the surface of the car with the soapy water solution, then your finger tips so you don’t leave any dna between the film and your car, then proceed to peel the pre-fit piece off of the backing liner and misting the adhesive with the soapy water; this process allows you to float the piece into place before nailing it down. Once you the have the piece positioned you rinse out some of the soapy water solution in one of the corners so you can lock it in place and proceed to stretch and lock the rest of the piece into place (the mirrors).

I would say the mirror pieces were one of the trickiest with how many different directions the surface curves; took a lot of stretching and close attention of where the edges were going to end up once locked down.

The Door cups were the simplest and lay in place; it’s just a little tricky squeegeeing the solution out with the handle there.

A-pillars are pretty straight forward, wrap the corner to the windshield + into the door frame slightly and go from the front fender up to were the roof rack starts.

Finally the headlights; set the front corner near the grille and stretch it towards the fender and it stretches to fit nicely.

You may not get all of the edges down right away due to residual solution being there. Simply leave it for an hour or two and you can go back and squeegee the edges down.

Don’t apply any carnauba based wax to the film; waxes use things like naphtha to get the carnauba into liquid form and the naphtha will slowly degrade the polyurethane. If you want to use anything look for a silicone/synthetic based polish/sealant.

Most of the films on the market are pretty comparable at this point and feature “self-healing” properties (within reason); SunTek, LLumar, VentureShield, Xpel, 3M Scotchgard & 3M Scotchgard Pro.

If the process is a little much for some, a local signage/graphics/detailing or window tinting shop should be able to help out.

97B4TDi

Veteran Member
TDI
To keep things rolling - Had the DSG, Brake fluid and fuel filter changed.

Vpstang

TDI
Jetta Sport wagen
Got me a full tank of Shell diesel with .15c discount with Tmobile Tuesday and shell gold reward program

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

97B4TDi

Veteran Member
TDI
Had 3M Ceramic 30% applied too all of the windows

Smoked the front bumper corner reflectors

Removed the ‘Jetta’ Emblems

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rockeye

TDI
2012 Golf TDi
I attempted to change out my front brakes today. Had the first side all stripped down and was about to put everything back together and realized the rotors were way too big and the caliper bracket wasn't going to fit around the rotors. Thankfully Amazon will be helping me get a refund

97B4TDi

Veteran Member
TDI
Gave it a good bath after its first road trip & applied Aquapel to the windshield.

ricohman

TDI
2013 Golf Wagon
New battery.
Had a weird starting experience. It seemed like it would spin over but not quite catch. Took multiple attempts to get it to start. Original 2012 battery.
Spins like mad with this 730CCA one so time will tell.

Graham Line

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 Golf TDI 6M
Fingers crossed

Loaned it to SO while she gets her Corolla re-fendered, re-wheeled, and re-doored after an encounter with a bridge.

I'm no more nervous than a cat in a water park. Making do with prehistoric Montero.

97B4TDi

Veteran Member
TDI
Gave it a good "spa day". Washed, vacuumed, cleaned windows.

Touched up and wrapped the entire hood with 3M Scotchgard Pro Paint Protection film.

Added PPF to the door rockers as well; I noticed the rubber door seal scuffing the area.

tjg

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 TDI A3, '14 TDI Sportwagen
Earlier this week I installed a rawtek DPF/EGR/Exhaust (took about 4 hours using a lift and I didn't have to lower the subframe).

I had been waiting over two months for a warranty catalytic converter from VW to arrive... still not ETA according to VW America.

The same day I installed the rawtek parts, I loaded up the Malone 0.5 eco tune (i have the stage 2 tune as well but I'm waiting for the trans tuner to arrive).

well let me tell you, I went from having a DPF and CEL, constant regenning, and a crappy 30mpg to over 46mpg combined and no lights on the dash.

When the new catalytic converter does eventually arrive at the dealership, I'll just go exchange my old one for the new one and put it into storage.

viper550

TDI
14 JSW 6M, 15 Q5 TDI S-Line
I turned off the #$$%&*# Hill Hold function on my '14 JSW 6spd. :)
X2 on that. First thing I did when I got VCDS was turn off hill hold, and now no more stalling. Hill hold is useless to me. I can drive a manual without letting it roll backwards. So pretty much every time I would take off from a stop the rear brakes would still be holding. It helped me to enjoy my car so much more when I turned that off.

For reasons like this is why I love VW/AUDI cars. The ability with vcds to customize so many different things on them, and you can get factory service info from VW/AUDI for a reasonable price.

03GolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 JSW DSG and '11 JSW DSG
Went through car wash and did a good interior cleaning as well (not full detail but full window cleaning, wipedown of dash, console, doors and seats).

Got a bug up my butt and decided to go ahead and replace the cabin filter (dealer wants $65 to replace). It was supposedly new when I bought it ~5 months ago but I did not have the utmost faith that the selling dealer actually replaced it so figured what would it hurt. $20 and 10 minutes later have a new cabin filter in, it does appear selling dealer replaced it as it was really not too bad for gunk loading. The made in China Purolator I installed actually appears better construction than the genuine product, looks exact same size, and it has a perimeter foam seal to keep around filter leaks to a minimum while the genuine VW filter does not.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
Earlier this week I installed a rawtek DPF/EGR/Exhaust (took about 4 hours using a lift and I didn't have to lower the subframe).

The same day I installed the rawtek parts, I loaded up the Malone 0.5 eco tune (i have the stage 2 tune as well but I'm waiting for the trans tuner to arrive).

well let me tell you, I went from having a DPF and CEL, constant regenning, and a crappy 30mpg to over 46mpg combined and no lights on the dash.
That's awesome. Man am I jealous! I live in a smog area. It would be great if you could post the 0.5/2.0 differences.

skyking1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 beetle 2002 beetle
I pulled the factory engine cover and installed the ECS tuning road plate. Going out to touch up some low scratches on the bumper. Wife's 2013 DSG Beetle dieselgate car.

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Q5 TDI Technik, 2014 GSW CL 6MT (RIP), 2004 Jetta GLS 5MT (sold), 2010 GSW HL 6MT (buy back)
Got it back from the wife after 2 weeks of driving her 2016 Outback :rolleyes:. Washed it and did a little road trip up the lake to see my old man for his bday!

USMCFieldMP

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta TDI
I had been waiting over two months for a warranty catalytic converter from VW to arrive... still not ETA according to VW America.

When the new catalytic converter does eventually arrive at the dealership, I'll just go exchange my old one for the new one and put it into storage.
What problem did you have with your catalytic converter?

My car smokes on hard acceleration occasionally and I've been getting a CEL for EGT's when regenning lately. I figured it was just a problem with the DPF or EGR, but I'm curious about problems with the Cat.

I, too, would just delete everything, but I already have the Kerma tune, and my impression was that they are not ones to support the deletion of emissions related devices.