What did you do to your MkVI-A6 today?

FJ40Jim

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Golf GLS 5MT, '12 JSW DSG
Received 2 new keys from https://www.tunemyeuro.com/keys/, 1 remote fob, 1 'valet'. Also rented their tablet computer with VAGTacho software & cable to register the new keys in the immobilizer. It took me a little while but eventually got the new keys to start the car. Then used my VCDS cable & their computer to program the remote entry for the new keyfob. That also took a while because I thought it wasn't working, but eventually figured out that the controllers must be closed and VCDS unplugged, key cycled, etc, then try remote buttons. It all works now.

Also mounted a cheapo pair of ebay bars to roof rails to carry the canoe.

FJ40Jim

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Golf GLS 5MT, '12 JSW DSG
New LED trailer taillights & sidemarkers were being ordered from superbrightleds.com, so I also got bright 194 replacement LEDS for the license plate lights on the black mk6 wagon. The black car with relatively small taillights is not bright enough from behind. These LEDs turn the white license plate into a big taillight.

http://pics.tdiclub.com/showfull.php?photo=135853

Last edited:

97B4TDi

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 B4 Passat, 2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
Had the Malone DSG Tune adjusted and swapped.

Malone was very responsive and helpful, cant thank them enough.

Vpstang

TDI
Jetta Sport wagen
Paint correction and some ceramic coating
Hard to tell, but the metal flake has more depth to it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
Paint correction and some ceramic coating
Hard to tell, but the metal flake has more depth to it

h

Niice, VW seems to have always had such a durable finish if cared for.

Iis your tint 35%front/20%rear? Did you do pano?

Vpstang

TDI
Jetta Sport wagen
Yeah the paint in decent shape, I didnt spend a lot of time trying to get thw deeper scratches out, but got the swirls out.
The tint is 25% ceramic, works really well with the hi intensity sun here in texas. I bought some 5% ceramic as well for the pano, but havnt had a chance to apply it

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
Yeah the paint in decent shape, I didnt spend a lot of time trying to get thw deeper scratches out, but got the swirls out.
The tint is 25% ceramic, works really well with the hi intensity sun here in texas. I bought some 5% ceramic as well for the pano, but havnt had a chance to apply it

Yeah money well spent in sunny areas. The first thing I did was 3m ceramic. 35% front/20% rear & pano. Installer did a great job but said the pano was a royal pain. I was surprised how visible quality dark tint is, I was nervious at first but really helps tempature control.

Last edited:

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
Yep I put 5% limo tints all around within 3 days of purchasing my 2014 JSW. Did the same to my old 2011 JSW when she was brand new, tinted her the next day. My trusty tint shop has since closed down so it took me a while to find a good one and got it done in 3 days. Felt so naked driving with bare windows lol I carry abt $20k worth of equipment hence needing the tints ASAP for work purpose.

Vpstang

TDI
Jetta Sport wagen
Yeah money well spent in sunny areas. The first thing I did was 3m ceramic. 35% front/20% rear & pano. Installer did a great job but said the pano was a royal pain. I was surprised how visible quality dark tint is, I was nervious at first but really helps tempature control.

Wagon looking really nice[emoji1360]

InfoSec

Veteran Member
Just purchased the VCDS cable from Ross-Tech. Sold my 335d which was heavily modded, for a CPO '14 Golf TDI w/ only 13,500 miles on it. It'll go under the knife at some point. But glad to have a lower-mileage car so I can pamper it from day-1 of such a low-mileage purchase.

97B4TDi

Veteran Member
TDI
Purchased a Rosstech cable and replaced the large cooling fan.

Next in no particular order is a new pair of front tires, a sub-frame collar kit and a rear sway bar.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
Wow! Cant believe this thread is still alive!

Timing belt has been replaced on my 2014 JSW at 74k miles due to stage 3 Malone tune and CR170 with CP3 and carrying 200 lbs of videophone equipment on a daily basis as she is a former buyback car that sat 2 years.

Also had TB replaced done on my step daughter’s newly purchased 2013 Jetta TDI (buyback car) at 40k miles due to age and she has a heavy foot. (Smh at her)

97B4TDi

Veteran Member
TDI
Wow! Cant believe this thread is still alive!

Timing belt has been replaced on my 2014 JSW at 74k miles due to stage 3 Malone tune and CR170 with CP3 and carrying 200 lbs of videophone equipment on a daily basis as she is a former buyback car that sat 2 years.

Also had TB replaced done on my step daughter’s newly purchased 2013 Jetta TDI (buyback car) at 40k miles due to age and she has a heavy foot. (Smh at her)

How is the daily drive-ability of the CR170 on a daily basis?

tjg

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 TDI A3, '14 TDI Sportwagen

I've got a CR170/CP3 2013 A3 and there's no difference in driveability. Coupled with the stage 3 malone tune, it can really get out of it's own way so you need to be gentle on the pedal if you want to keep your MPGs high.

Compared to my regular stage 2 CR140 sportwagen, it's not a night and day difference, but there's enough that it's worth doing if you get a good deal on the turbo and can do the work yourself.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI

Oh it hauls arse if you stomp on it and chew up your tires with no mercy.... best go gently to accelerate from the full stop until you are past 30-45 then stomp, she will scoot hard.

The MPG is same as stage 2 and 3 but powerwise is huge difference.... I had old 2011 JSW with stage 2 with original turbo and she lasted troublefree until 300k miles then rear ended. Could have been 400-450k by now.

I like stage 3 better myself as ai haul 200 lbs of videophone equipment on an daily basis.

tjg is correct. Its all on your dime on how you want it to be. Malone is the way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk saw

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
I just update my Fuelly fuel-ups. Amazingly, there was a 4-month span from March 5th (3/5/2020) to July 4th (7/4/2020) between fuel-ups! The 4-month span I only averaged ~29 mpg for that one tank of fuel. I've since started moving around a little bit more and even did a short road trip a week ago.

97B4TDi

Veteran Member
TDI
Replaced the small cooling fan and cleared the P1950 code with VCDS

tjg

Veteran Member
TDI
I installed the Darkside EGR race pipe and coolant bypass yesterday (in preparation for installing the CP3 pump)...

Of course I had to get back underneath today because I forgot to tighten down the downpipe-subframe nuts. I also noticed that I hadn't tightened down the manifold block off plate enough so I got to spend a humid morning over a hot engine tightening down those nuts and trying not to burn myself.

Should be good now though!

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
I installed the Darkside EGR race pipe and coolant bypass yesterday (in preparation for installing the CP3 pump)...

Of course I had to get back underneath today because I forgot to tighten down the downpipe-subframe nuts. I also noticed that I hadn't tightened down the manifold block off plate enough so I got to spend a humid morning over a hot engine tightening down those nuts and trying not to burn myself.

Post the disability results.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI

Did you get this? I got it but hasn’t installed. Not sure if this will fit.

https://www.darksidedevelopments.co...2-0-tdi-cr-us-spec-vehicles-cjaa-engines.html

tjg

Veteran Member
TDI
Ha! ...Driveability

... Damn spellcheck
Ah got it.
No difference in driveability. I anticipate that it will heat up a bit more quickly in the winter due to not having to pass through an inactive EGR cooler.

It's also the nail in the coffin for intercooler icing. I'm certain a tune helps to an extent, but completely eliminating the heat that soaks the EGR valve body should prevent most of the condensation that would build up in the system.

Ultimately though, I did it to make routing the fuel pipes for the CP3 swap easier.

tjg

Veteran Member
TDI
Did you get this? I got it but hasn’t installed. Not sure if this will fit.

https://www.darksidedevelopments.co...2-0-tdi-cr-us-spec-vehicles-cjaa-engines.html

Yes, that's the exact one I've used (on both my A3 and Sportwagen).

Also... that rubber cup replaces the hot air intake piping on the back of the airbox. When you do the swap, eliminate that oddly shaped metal tube and flexible hose going to the airbox. The cup sits over the port. They supply a hose clamp to secure it, but it's not necessary.

Getting the ASV/EGR off can be tricky if you don't understand how it's secured... the bolt in the back (can be seen from the left side) passes through a bracket coming off the block, the ASV and the EGR and goes into the intake. The bolt on the right side of the ASV goes through the bracket coming off the block, the ASV and into the EGR. remove those two first, and then the two remaining bolts securing the EGR to the intake. You can then remove the entire assembly from the car (there will still be one bolt holding the EGR and ASV together).

I'll also add that I used a brass 90* fitting for the coolant lines rather than the straight one they provide. (I *think* I did the same thing with my A3). You'll need to trim a little bit of the coolant hose to ensure there's no kinks.

Last edited:

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes, that's the exact one I've used (on both my A3 and Sportwagen).

Also... that rubber cup replaces the hot air intake piping on the back of the airbox. When you do the swap, eliminate that oddly shaped metal tube and flexible hose going to the airbox. The cup sits over the port. They supply a hose clamp to secure it, but it's not necessary.

Getting the ASV/EGR off can be tricky if you don't understand how it's secured... the bolt in the back (can be seen from the left side) passes through a bracket coming off the block, the ASV and the EGR and goes into the intake. The bolt on the right side of the ASV goes through the bracket coming off the block, the ASV and into the EGR. remove those two first, and then the two remaining bolts securing the EGR to the intake. You can then remove the entire assembly from the car (there will still be one bolt holding the EGR and ASV together).

I'll also add that I used a brass 90* fitting for the coolant lines rather than the straight one they provide. (I *think* I did the same thing with my A3). You'll need to trim a little bit of the coolant hose to ensure there's no kinks.

Gotcha! Many thanks!

prsa01

Veteran Member
TDI
14 jsw 6m, 96 B4v, miss my a4 :(
14 jsw - Topside oil change w/pentosin 5w30. My first OC on this car due to covid situation low miles. A little under 10k (~75k total).

Combo of tighter location and previously over-tightened filter cap meant I had to run out for a 1,25" (or 32mm) socket. Otherwise uneventful. I had been able to loosen previous tdis with a crescent or pliers.

Last edited:

tjg

Veteran Member
TDI
For those curious, this is what my EGR valve looked like. It had about 65k miles stock, and another 30k miles with a Rawtek/Malone stage 2 setup.

Last edited:

97B4TDi

Veteran Member
TDI
Already? Cooling fan failed?

Yeah both front fans failed around 70,000 miles.

I hear regens over tax the two fans and it’s fairly common. I recently tuned and deleted so these fans should hold up