What did you do to your MkVI-A6 today?

97B4TDi

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 B4 Passat, 2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
Cool thanks for the input on those. I was looking at the subframe bolt collar set as well.

Anyone on here have the Tyrolsport Hatch Brace? If so what’re your driving impressions with it?

ShelbyRazorback

TDI
2012 Golf TDI 6MT (traded in). None at the moment.
Last night I put pipe insulation in my grille. It looks horrible but being on my knees bending over in the cold and the wind sometimes blowing the insulation that's not yet installed under the car along with crappy light, I'm fine with it. The bottom row of the lower grille and the entire upper grille is just friction fit. I was tired of squished fingers (by getting the zip ties around the foam) and thought that it would be easy to take out those sections on warmer days if need be.

Vpstang

TDI
Jetta Sport wagen
Quick oil change, now waiting game to see what blackstone analysis cones back with

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FJ40Jim

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Golf GLS 5MT, '12 JSW DSG
Towed to FL

A few weeks ago we were getting ready for our annual Florida holiday getaway, towing the Scamp13. The old reliable Mk4 golf tow vehicle had just received tranny rebuild, timing belt, LOF, etc. A week before departure, the turbo crapped out on the ALH.

It was decided that we would throw a hitch the Mk6 wagon and take it to Florida. It had recently received all maintenance and HD rear springs & airshocks. New receiver hitch was ordered & installed, trailer light converter & socket was installed & we took off for Florida.

It wasn't perfect, but we got there & back with no issues or CEL.

Next mods are install a proper euro trailer harness to enable T-ESP, install electric brake controller, and rebuild front suspension.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
Next mods are install a proper euro trailer harness to enable T-ESP, install electric brake controller, and rebuild front suspension.
What is T-ESP? I've installed an eco 2" receiver but havent yet put on a harness yet. What difference qualifies a "proper euro hareness"?

FJ40Jim

Veteran Member
TDI
T-ESP is Trailer Electronic Stability Program. After the real Euro harness is installed and coded, the ESP programming is automatically changed to T-ESP when a trailer is plugged into the trailer connector.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
T-ESP is Trailer Electronic Stability Program. After the real Euro harness is installed and coded, the ESP programming is automatically changed to T-ESP when a trailer is plugged into the trailer connector.
I would think the trailer would have to have 7 wire electric brakes? It would be great to see any info. on your install, euro harness brand etc...

97B4TDi

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 B4 Passat, 2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
A few weeks ago we were getting ready for our annual Florida holiday getaway, towing the Scamp13. The old reliable Mk4 golf tow vehicle had just received tranny rebuild, timing belt, LOF, etc. A week before departure, the turbo crapped out on the ALH.

It was decided that we would throw a hitch the Mk6 wagon and take it to Florida. It had recently received all maintenance and HD rear springs & airshocks. New receiver hitch was ordered & installed, trailer light converter & socket was installed & we took off for Florida.

It wasn't perfect, but we got there & back with no issues or CEL.

Towing with a DSG? :eek:

ToBiN

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Sportwagen TDI/M6; 2006 Dodge 3500 Cummins/M6 Mega Cab; 2011 Jetta TDI/M6 (sold)
Been a while since Ive been on. Lemme see, things Ive completed.

-added a ported RFPunch 12" sub, RF remote gain and RFPunch P6002 amp. Now she Booms! And the stock speakers keep up just great. Very impressed.

-added a sticker, lol... "This vehicle fueled by recycled dinosaurs" just above the fuel door on the glass.

-Currently adding LED Headlights. What a PITA. Finally determined that removing the headlights and working on them in the house is the way to go. forget trying to add them in the car. I pulled the grill, screws from bumper to core support and fenders, and then screws from headlights. After pitching a fit the bumper clips finally let loose and the bumper was able to shift down far enough to get the headlight assemblies out.

Next was finding the correct adapters to put these LEDs in. Ordered what all the YT's and Amazon said I needed for it. WRONG. garbage. didn't work at all. Now trying some other adapters for the 2010 - 2015 Passat. They appear to have the same bucket with the 2 electric connections built into the assembly. They are supposed to be here friday, so in the meantime I have the front end pulled apart awaiting parts. Ill post pix later.

FJ40Jim

Veteran Member
TDI
Filled up and got some new tires.
Me too!
Filled with B20 as usual, hoping to extend the life of HPFP.
Got 4 new Yokohama IceGard tires installed onto the stock alloys.

And the grisly part of the weekend: Attempting to address DW's complaint that the car takes forever to warm up, a new OEM thermostat and a FrostHeater kit were installed.

Wow, what a bunch of crap to remove just to get that thermostat unit off the engine.:eek:

After test driving the car with new tires and topped up fluids, the only issue was a check engine light for EGR valve. Easy fix, had to push the fiddly electrical connector onto the valve all the way, until it really clicked, not just 'I think it's all the way on there'.

The FrostHeater from IDParts works fine.
Unfortunately, the new t-stat works identical to the unit that came off, taking 15 minutes to get noticeable warmth at the heater.:mad:

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
The FrostHeater from IDParts works fine.
Unfortunately, the new t-stat works identical to the unit that came off, taking 15 minutes to get noticeable warmth at the heater.:mad:
I think the TDI is so thermally efficent your thermo is probably working @ 100%(?)
Even here in Ca warmer temps it takes quit awhile around town driving to warm up. It will however get to temp quickly if I hit the freeway. Even @ 50* temps Im thinking about running a radiator block?

prsa01

Veteran Member
TDI
14 jsw 6m, 96 B4v, miss my a4 :(
I think the TDI is so thermally efficent your thermo is probably working @ 100%(?)
Even here in Ca warmer temps it takes quit awhile around town driving to warm up. It will however get to temp quickly if I hit the freeway. Even @ 50* temps Im thinking about running a radiator block?
My 14 jsw warms up substantially faster than my a4/b4/a5 did. Based on what I have read and have observed, for emissions reasons, it fast idles and runs in a manner to speed warmup and get the cat working . The temp needle moves much faster than on my previous models. I'm in a colder environment than either of you and no coolant heater. Don't know if 14 acts any differently than earlier years

Do you/your wife know about triggering the electric supplemental heating?
Recirculate on
Heat at max
Fan on 2 or 3

Hope that helps

FJ40Jim

Veteran Member
TDI
My 14 jsw warms up substantially faster than my a4/b4/a5 did. Based on what I have read and have observed, for emissions reasons, it fast idles and runs in a manner to speed warmup and get the cat working . The temp needle moves much faster than on my previous models. I'm in a colder environment than either of you and no coolant heater. Don't know if 14 acts any differently than earlier years

Recirculate on
Heat at max
Fan on 2 or 3
This one is slower to warm up than an ALH. I do have her turn on electric butt heater, and crank temp knob to the full hot detent, energizing the coolant glow plugs.
Part of the slow warmup is that it is a DSG and I have her put it in 'D', which is a very early shifting, max FE shift map. Max FE also means minimum heat rejection.
Slow warmup may also be attributed to this car being an un-neutered unit that escaped the dieselgate dragnet.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI

Recirculate on
Heat at max
Fan on 2 or 3

Hope that helps
Ive wondered about that. Is that a factory installed cold area thing? Ill try it next time.

USMCFieldMP

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta TDI
I've been trying to diagnose why the traction control button that I installed doesn't seem to be working. It doesn't light up with the dash lights and I'm thinking that it's the button itself that is just bad. VCDS recode was done.

A quick multimeter check shows that it is getting the 12V power and the ground is good. It's only getting 3-4V for the "light up" signal from the headlight switch, but I imagine that should be fine, especially if it's just like an LED light. I'm going to have to reach out to ECS to see if they'll replace it - problem being that I ordered it quite a while ago.

Curious if anyone else has had problems with theirs.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
Recirculate on
Heat at max
Fan on 2 or 3

Hope that helps
This one is slower to warm up than an ALH. I do have her turn on electric butt heater, and crank temp knob to the full hot detent, energizing the coolant glow plugs.
I've wondered about that. Is that a factory installed cold area thing? Ill try it next time.
I should have reread more thoroughly before asking:eek:
So you're saying the glow plugs are can be activated to bring the engine to operating temp. sooner? coolant glow plugs? I did have #1 engine glow plug fail @ 70k. I wonder if that puts unreasonable wear on them (if you are referring to use of engine G.P.'s)?

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
put on my crossdrilled and slotted rotors and ceramic pads. will do the rear when it gets warmer. painting my engine cover. its not finished yet, what are your thoughts on colors?

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Ive wondered about that. Is that a factory installed cold area thing? Ill try it next time.
it seems like they all have the aux coolant heater. there is a low and high setting on it. you can manually acviate it with vcds. the block heater was only standard in canada. wabaso was standard in germany i believe.

JSH1

TDI
2014 JSW TDI DSG
I replace my original 5 year old battery. I am sure sitting in a VW lot waiting for the emissions update didn't help battery life.

iamatt

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta 6 Speed manual
3 years is what I get deep down here in Texas. 100+F they just don't last.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

JSH1

TDI
2014 JSW TDI DSG
3 years is what I get deep down here in Texas. 100+F they just don't last.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

The Optima Yellow Top I put in my 2005 Prius was $150 and lasted 7 years in Alabama. I replaced it when it started acting up (the Prius is sensitive to low voltage) but it still has enough life to run my trolling motor for the past 4 years.

dandywriter

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf Wagon 6M
Added a few pids - boost, dpf temp, soot load (edit - soot load doesn't seem to work) - to Scan Gauge. Tried but failed with regen pid, will retry when my fingers are warmer.

Also installed an Amzparts RCD330g Plus R340G 6.5" MIB Radio Carplay App for VW Tiguan Golf 5 6 Ameo MK5 MK6 replacing the crap base radio. Absolutely a non-event, four screws and two connectors once the trim was off, and my iphone paired immediately. No radio code needed. If it were warmer I'd install the backup camera, but that can wait until it's a bit warmer...

Last edited: