What did you do to your MKIV today?

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
One thing that may happen is that they illuminate as soon as you release the handbrake. This is because when installed in a US Jetta, it treats the Xenon bulb as the daytime running light. I have some wiring info from a MK4 guru in Australia who told me how to fix this. If you don't fix it, not only will the Xenon bulbs be activated all the time, but when running as DRL's, they aren't running at 100% which causes the bulbs to burn out way faster.
So, what should one do about DRLs? I have a Euro switch and DRLs do not come on automatically with hand brake released.

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
One thing that may happen is that they illuminate as soon as you release the handbrake. This is because when installed in a US Jetta, it treats the Xenon bulb as the daytime running light. I have some wiring info from a MK4 guru in Australia who told me how to fix this. If you don't fix it, not only will the Xenon bulbs be activated all the time, but when running as DRL's, they aren't running at 100% which causes the bulbs to burn out way faster.
The ballast consists of a boost converter, and an AC bridge...followed by the ignitor. Applying lower than nominal input voltage just works the boost converter a bit harder. Bulbs do not have any idea what is going on... :)

Douglas

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Did rear brakes on my daughters (gasser) MkIV Golf. Used the HF piston tool to try to retract the piston, but it got all messed up (caliper was siezed). Handle all bent, plate bent, roll pin (which I have replaced) sheared. Guess I got ten years out of it, so I'll just replace it with new.
I think she had the original pads and rotors on the car.
One pad had zero friction material on it. Rest were very thin.
Had to get new calipers, and NAPA was the only place close with both rears in stock. Right side swapped without much fanfare, but the top bracket bolt on the left started stripping, so I just left it alone and reused the original with the new caliper.

Found that her left rear wheel bearing was bad (noisy but no movement/looseness). I would've liked to have replaced it as I was doing the brakes, but it was not in the cards. She ordered a new one from idparts that I'll install when it gets here.

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
Went to do the oil changing. The oil pan threads pulled out on tighten. Replaced the pan. Relatively painless...still have the fuel filter to swap.

Douglas

Redneckeric

TDI
03 Jetta
Finally getting around to cleaning intake and egr. One of the 6mm allens on the egr cooler started to strip but used my small cobra pliers and got it loose enough to continue with the allen. Then one of the egr studs snapped on the exhaust manifold. Im guessing these are threaded and can be replaced? Was hoping to get this all knocked out today.

Gothmolly

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
Finally getting around to cleaning intake and egr. One of the 6mm allens on the egr cooler started to strip but used my small cobra pliers and got it loose enough to continue with the allen. Then one of the egr studs snapped on the exhaust manifold. Im guessing these are threaded and can be replaced? Was hoping to get this all knocked out today.
This is why I've never cleaned my intake.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Delete the cooler and install block off plates…..makes life a lot easier.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
I made my own kit up with local parts.
But I believe that IDPARTS sells the kit and even the studs. If you cannot find it on the website give them a call , they are great people to work with and will help you out.

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
I knew there was another reason to love salt-free southern cars... :)

Douglas

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Once the egr function is removed with programming, why remove it?
Bob for me I kept the EGR valve for the ASV function but got rid of the cooler. It makes access To the back of the engine easier and in my opinion less cluttered. Also why leave something in with a potential fail , IE leaking cooler… just my .02.

norbert77

Veteran Member
TDI
01 beetle
My own TDI manual beetle is in the shop awaiting awaiting rear Stub axles so I drove the girlfriend's 07 2.5 tiptronic tip tronic beetle. Gotta say I love the 2.5 but I'm not sure about the automatic transmission.. Are all automatic transmissions the same in this vintage?

benmarks

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS Sedan Platinum Gray
My own TDI manual beetle is in the shop awaiting awaiting rear Stub axles so I drove the girlfriend's 07 2.5 tiptronic tip tronic beetle. Gotta say I love the 2.5 but I'm not sure about the automatic transmission.. Are all automatic transmissions the same in this vintage?
Did it let you shift through 5 gears or 6 gears? I think by 2007, the New Beetle had switched to the six gear DSG transmission instead of the 09A five gear TipTronic.

Judson

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Well my baby is going into the shop today. Front left wheel bearing shot. Going to have Brandon do both sides since they are probably original. Better safe than sorry. Symptoms are: persistent groan, increases with speed not rpm, steering left or right no change either. Mine is quite loud and happened suddenly. Initially thought I might have a flat but the steering felt fine. When I got out to check, all was well.

norbert77

Veteran Member
TDI
01 beetle
Did it let you shift through 5 gears or 6 gears? I think by 2007, the New Beetle had switched to the six gear DSG transmission instead of the 09A five gear TipTronic.
With the 2.5? Its a 6 speed. Could be why the transmission chirps and rattles at low throttle because i put in it the tiptronic oil.

How to tell them apart?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Tiptronic is not a transmission. It's a marketing name VW uses for transmissions with a manual shift option. If you have a dealer run the car's VIN you can find out what transmission is in the car and what fluid is correct. I doubt the 2.5L NBs had a DSG, however.

benmarks

Veteran Member
TDI
I don't think there was a 6-gear 09A, though, right? That would indicate it's a DSG, I'm pretty sure.

If that's the case, I'd definitely double-check the types of fluids they use.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Looks like it's a six speed torque converter transmission. Not a DSG. Correct PN for the fluid is G 055 025 A2.

benmarks

Veteran Member
TDI

Yeah, it looks like the 09G is the 6-speed "TipTronic" that isn't a dual-clutch automatic/DSG, though the sidebar in that article shows the DSG was an option at some point. Google seems to be giving me inconclusive results. For example, here's a MotorTrend article announcing the DSG as a $1000 option for the New Beetle TDI as of model year 2005:

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Changed oil and filter before the winter.
Spliced in a new OBDII connector with 6” of extra wire and relocated it so it’s easier to connect to.
Was having intermittent power issues with it on one pin….couldn’t fix it so I replaced it……almost didn’t pass inspection last time around because they couldn’t connect to the car.

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon
Limped it home in near darkness with no lights or power steering :mad: