What did you do to your MKIV today?

Studs

TDI
2003 Golf 4D/ GL
I see Jettas pop up at LKQ locally but not one Golf MK 4 in 200 miles of Chicago. Golf's are getting scarce and good used parts more difficult to source.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
This happened a couple of days ago…..but replaced holed a/c line on daughters car. Vacuumed system down for two hours and refilled with Freon…..vents now blow 49 degrees on fan speed 3.😁

On my daily driver replaced snapped turbo shaft with a reman one from idparts. Pulled all GP’s and spun engine with rags at the gp’s hole…….all bone dry , along with gp’s were dry on removal.
Had to up grade to new drain line and new style bracket.
Also replaced oil feed line with new one.
Car runs great now.

Pancake Slap

TDI
2005 5spd Jetta Wagon TDI
Today, I started prepping for a timing belt and cam job this weekend. I decided it's probably best to pull the intake off and give it a clean as well. Noticed my lower egr pipe was broken pretty badly, so ran to the store and got some stuff to fab up a delete.

Fahrvegnugen

Veteran Member
TDI
01 golf 1.9 alh gls silver
I just installed this 6 3/4-inch Hirschmann made in Germany antenna that I bought from here: https://www.antennamastsrus.com/VW/VW Jetta 1999-2005.htm

They're a good resource for antennas, whether it's many different sizes of the mast-style antenna, or some other options. Someone recently stole my 16-inch OEM-style antenna, so I needed a replacement.The vendor claims it gets above average reception for antennas this size or smaller. I previously also had a Sharan antenna, but it was too short. I didn't want to go back to it or the full sized mast antenna, though. This one is a bit rubbery and bends a tiny bit. I haven't driven around yet to test the reception claims, however.

How is it working? Might have to get a bagged Hirschmann unit. I took mine out because guru told me it was going to leak. Original length didn't bother me but now I've been driving without it I don't want to attract any weenie roasters!

norbert77

Veteran Member
TDI
01 beetle
Stopped for beer. Met a lady with a beetle newer than mine. 2013 with 600km on it. Not a diesel. She said she has an 01 turbo with 700km on it. Amazing

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
Stella (05 wagon) got a new right inner CV joint and right front wheel bearing, followed by an alignment.

Patchex

TDI
2002 TDI Jetta
I have done so much to my Mk4 TDI I can't even rattle off all the stuff right now...I am at my wits end.

This Mk4 TDI 02 Jetta is dieing and I am trying so hard to fix everything wrong with it. I need a local guru to help me please... No joke, this diesel sedan was gifted to me in really bad shape.

I am an all American woman who whole heartedly wants to see this gremlin thrive yet am sadly failing horribly. If there is someone in the Boston area willing to help me figure out how to keep my daily driver Alive, please message here in the forums or a pm would be appreciated.

I don't want to sell, and I appreciate the 45 mpg of diesel it could get if running top notch plus with proper tuining better maybe.

I'm not rich, I am mechanically inclined and have put over 1300 already into parts + my own labor un accounted for in price... I need actual help from someone willing to teach me how to keep it alive plus maybe make it better.

I am not afraid of hard work. This car has been more then just hard work. In 2 years I have averaged about one week running out of ever month of owning it and I have always had a great an upkeep record with all of the American cars I have owned in the past. This is a whole nother beast that I don't want to junk because of my lack of foreign engineering and the fact that it was gifted to me.

hans_gruber0

TDI
03' ALH wagon 5 speed
Learned to use VCDS this week

Swapped injectors + nozzles around between pp764 and my calibrated dlc1019's and determined car was pretty leaned out with IQ at 8-9 and starting was occasionally a bit clunky.

I should have just done the hammer mod to play with IQ instead of swapping injectors because now injector #1 has an air leak where the hardline compression fitting screws on.

Got it to around 4-5 with hammer and loosening 3/4 cover bolts and then set it at 6-6 1/2 IQ using software adjustment.

Bled the pump and injectors via applying vacuum to behind the return fitting and put it back on quickly several times. Cracked open and cranked injectors 1 and 4 then 2/3 about half a dozen times with no success in ridding the air leak.

Am I damaging the injector/HPFP by doing short trips with an air leak?

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
I have done so much to my Mk4 TDI I can't even rattle off all the stuff right now...I am at my wits end.

This Mk4 TDI 02 Jetta is dieing and I am trying so hard to fix everything wrong with it. I need a local guru to help me please... No joke, this diesel sedan was gifted to me in really bad shape.

I am an all American woman who whole heartedly wants to see this gremlin thrive yet am sadly failing horribly. If there is someone in the Boston area willing to help me figure out how to keep my daily driver Alive, please message here in the forums or a pm would be appreciated.

I don't want to sell, and I appreciate the 45 mpg of diesel it could get if running top notch plus with proper tuining better maybe.

I'm not rich, I am mechanically inclined and have put over 1300 already into parts + my own labor un accounted for in price... I need actual help from someone willing to teach me how to keep it alive plus maybe make it better.

I am not afraid of hard work. This car has been more then just hard work. In 2 years I have averaged about one week running out of ever month of owning it and I have always had a great an upkeep record with all of the American cars I have owned in the past. This is a whole nother beast that I don't want to junk because of my lack of foreign engineering and the fact that it was gifted to me.
Welcome to the club
I suggest you start your own thread with the worst problem first…..most people on here are willing to help.

norbert77

Veteran Member
TDI
01 beetle
What all should be done before getting to the hammer mod? My car was tuned 3 years ago stage3 malone and I saw the guy doing the hammer mod. Not the best mpg I'm getting

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Today I got mine running right, well almost right... needs tuned for the egr delete and etc the previous owner did.
I swapped a used injector i had in which took care of the misfire.

03TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
01' NB, 5spd
Bled the pump and injectors via applying vacuum to behind the return fitting and put it back on quickly several times. Cracked open and cranked injectors 1 and 4 then 2/3 about half a dozen times with no success in ridding the air leak.

Am I damaging the injector/HPFP by doing short trips with an air leak?
By 'air leak', do you mean that because you cannot seal the hardline correctly, air is getting into the line and preventing that injector from being bled? If so, I don't think that's your problem. The pump is positive displacement. You should be having a fuel leak at that nut also, which I'm not seeing your say you have.

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
What all should be done before getting to the hammer mod? My car was tuned 3 years ago stage3 malone and I saw the guy doing the hammer mod. Not the best mpg I'm getting
Norbert, you should have a seal kit in hand that includes the two seals you are disturbing. That is the First Thing.

The rest is covered in either seal replacement or hammer mod threads... :D

Douglas

hooville

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GLS, 2016 GTI, 2015 TDI Sportwagen S
Just replaced the left cooling fan in the MK4, now I can use the AC again!

Pancake Slap

TDI
2005 5spd Jetta Wagon TDI
Started my timing belt today. Went ahead and pulled my intake manifold and cleaned it out well. Replaced all the seals in my intercooler piping. That thing had some nasty leaks, makes me wonder if I ever had boost lol

Patchex

TDI
2002 TDI Jetta
Welcome to the club
I suggest you start your own thread with the worst problem first…..most people on here are willing to help.
Thank you,

I might seem new to these forums, yet I have been using the threads for about 2 years now to keep this gremlin running... I guess I could try posting a problem thread.

There are lots of issues, yet I have fixed many using this forum.

Right now my biggest issues are my ac not working and I think it might be blend doors or the compressor?
I had it charged last year at the end of the season, and recently had a new alternator put in too.

Also I'm still having a bit of black smoke and white smoke. With a intermittent over boost code.

I have practically rebuilt the whole vaccume system including the lines and turbo actuator. I think it's my actual pump, intercooler, oil cooler or the gasket behind the oil filter? Or a combo of all?

Also my breaks are acting funny, I have new pads rotors and 2 new calipers (planning on the other two calipers soon.) But I think my break booster might be broken, took it to minakee and got charged 59 bucks for no diagnosis... Sad face

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yes start a new thread , it will be easier to help you.

The a/c well it’s either running ….or not , If not are the fans running if a/c switch is on and fan speed set to 1?
Engine doesn’t need to be running but kept to the run position. There is a good A/c thread to go through I posted it at the bottom.

Do you know if there is pressure in the system?

Are you getting voltage to the compressor clutch?

If yes is the coil open or does it have resistance and what is it?

Bad Blend door will give you cool air in the summer and cool air in the winter.

Define funny brakes , occasionally hard then normal , then the hard plastic line from the vacuum pump to the booster is cracked ….probably on the inside radius…..replace it with I believe a 3/8 ID.heater hose works great…two of my 5 cars has this and no issues of collapse for 15 years…..…a couple of bucks from an auto store….the OEM line is like $80.00 bucks or so…..

Here’s the post

Last edited:

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
Installed a new injector #2 from Xman. He had a bad batch go out a while ago. I got 1. He has been awesome with the customer service, new one solved the issues so far!

Edit: Forgot to mention I love having an aftermarket lift pump in the ALH. After I loosened/pretty much removed hard lines 1 and 2 and get everything reinstalled, I just cycled the pump 3 or 4 times. Car fired up, stumbled a second and smoothed out. No cracking injectors was needed.

Last edited:

Patchex

TDI
2002 TDI Jetta
Yes start a new thread , it will be easier to help you.

The a/c well it’s either running ….or not , If not are the fans running if a/c switch is on and fan speed set to 1?
Engine doesn’t need to be running but kept to the run position. There is a good A/c thread to go through I posted it at the bottom.

Do you know if there is pressure in the system?

Are you getting voltage to the compressor clutch?

If yes is the coil open or does it have resistance and what is it?

Bad Blend door will give you cool air in the summer and cool air in the winter.

Define funny brakes , occasionally hard then normal , then the hard plastic line from the vacuum pump to the booster is cracked ….probably on the inside radius…..replace it with I believe a 3/8 ID.heater hose works great…two of my 5 cars has this and no issues of collapse for 15 years…..…a couple of bucks from an auto store….the OEM line is like $80.00 bucks or so…..

Here’s the post

Thanks, I'll work on a thread list of issues this week,

Ac blowing hot air, no cold air even when system is off it blows hot air. I'm thinking it's the compressor. I just replace the fan motor in march, fan on dash side works and so do both front engine fans too.

I looked threw several ac threads, I'll look at the one you posted. I did not install the alternator, I had it put in so I haven't checked voltage to the compressor yet, I can see where the clutch lever pulley is yet I did have that replaced as well when the alternator was put in.

Have not checked the coil, I'll have to do that, I also want to check the temp sensor (I replaced the coolant one already, just need to check the compressor one still)

The break is very stiff, it popped then went to ground, yet now I have to place tons of pressure. Like there is no assisted breaking.

I replaced the vacuum break booster hose and the break booster hose gasket on the booster side about a year ago with parts ordered from IDParts. I did find some oil in the hose after a shop overflowed my oil during an oil change (let's just say I do my own oil changes now) yet the check valve ses operational on the hose and the vacuum seems operational, yet I do still need to invest in a might vac, I only have a break bleeder set which is how I checked vacuum on turbo actuator 2 years ago.

There lots more issues, yet like I said I'll gather them all and make a new thread this week, thanks again for the quick response!

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Wet sanded and tried to polish the rear pax door after rust repair and respray. Not totally successful.

hans_gruber0

TDI
03' ALH wagon 5 speed
By 'air leak', do you mean that because you cannot seal the hardline correctly, air is getting into the line and preventing that injector from being bled? If so, I don't think that's your problem. The pump is positive displacement. You should be having a fuel leak at that nut also, which I'm not seeing your say you have.
It seems like it could be the hard line because it's done it only on #1 on two sets of injectors
Could it be that the fitting is damaged?
I replaced the return lines with brand new hose so there's no possibility of air getting in through ballooned fuel return hose ends.

Air is coming from up top on the fitting but not down below.

This is a pic while idling after driving it for 10 miles
You can see the soot around it on the valve cover
Should not have monkeyed with perfectly calibrated injectors/nozzles d'oh

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon
It seems like it could be the hard line because it's done it only on #1 on two sets of injectors
Could it be that the fitting is damaged?
I replaced the return lines with brand new hose so there's no possibility of air getting in through ballooned fuel return hose ends.

Air is coming from up top on the fitting but not down below.

This is a pic while idling after driving it for 10 miles
You can see the soot around it on the valve cover
Should not have monkeyed with perfectly calibrated injectors/nozzles d'oh
I'd say you have a compression leak from an injector that's not fully seated in the head. That's really the only place soot can be coming from.

You need to pull the injector, make sure the sealing surfaces are spotlessly clean, and install a new sealing washer. The injector needs to be seated by tapping it (preferably with a slide hammer) while tightening the hold down clamp.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
^^ Like above, looks like that soot is originating down low and blowing up the head wall.
I just replaced an injector a couple days ago. Since it's almost impossible to "tap" the injector while torqueing it if working solo, I did like what was mentioned in previous injector threads...torque to the FSM spec (15 ft-lb) then spin a nut on top of the injector (M14x1.5). Make sure the nut is sitting proud of the injector sealing surface. Give one good rap with a brass hammer or similar to the nut (you don't need to try and break the thing) which will basically seat the injector body "into" the washer face. Then re-torque hold down to 15 ft-lb. Haven't had any leaks with this method.