What did you do to your MKIV today?

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Well I did the timing belt for the second time since owning it on my daughters car , replaced the turbo with a reman from IDParts , installed new thermostat. I swear out of the the 5 tdi’s I have that one runs and shifts the best. Car now has just under 300,xxx miles.

03TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
01' NB, 5spd
Well I did the timing belt for the second time since owning it on my daughters car , replaced the turbo with a reman from IDParts , installed new thermostat. I swear out of the the 5 tdi’s I have that one runs and shifts the best. Car now has just under 300,xxx miles.
What symptoms did you have with the old turbo? How was the rebuilt one in appearance and did it solve your problem?

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
Last weekend, I replaced the driver's side front fender on the 99.5 Golf because of a rust hole down near the rocker panel. (Wasn't diligent about cleaning out the debris behind the fender liner every year). This fender was previously replaced under warranty by the dealer almost 12 years ago because of a rust hole at the top caused by that stupid piece of foam installed at the factory. When I removed the fender this time, the foam was still there, reinstalled by the geniuses at the dealer (though to be fair, there was no rust developing near the foam, just down at the bottom where the leaves build up).

Today it passed state inspection. Just under 24 years old and 187k miles.
I never really understood why those geniuses put that foam there in the first place. I know exactly what you're talking about, having pulled front fenders for spare parts at the junkyard. Here, the leaves are still a problem, but the rust, not so much.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I've replaced fenders twice on my Wagon. Neither time has the rust been at the foam: Always down by the rocker. Foam is still in place.

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon
Mine all still have their foam, trimmed as per the TSB. It definitely makes a difference in NVH. Fender rust has not been a problem, even here in the salt belt, except on the wagon which rusted at the rockers because the PO didn't know you need to clean behind the liners twice a year - in the spring to remove salty sand, and in late fall to remove wet leaves.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
The first set of replacement fenders I bought from VW were poor quality. The second set seem better, and the body shop undercoated them carefully to hopefully have them last longer.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
What symptoms did you have with the old turbo? How was the rebuilt one in appearance and did it solve your problem?
The symptoms she was having was it was going into limp mode when she layed onto the throttle . I taught her to recycle the key when the road is straight to get the turbo back.
After looking at the car I found the C clip was missing off the actuator to the vane lever , how , no idea as this turbo was on her car for about 5 years. I did replace the C clip and I was able to red line the car everywhere with no issues except coming up our hill.
Since she’s planning to move closer to work then do the 1.5 hour commute each way from home to work I want to make sure that there were gonna be no more surprises with the turbo I decided to go with a Re manufactured Garrett turbo from IDPARTS. The turbo brand new , good price , and now no more issues with the car. I feel better as it should be no problems for several years with that and the other maintenance I did.
Granted tires , brakes and wheel bearing are always gonna crop there heads up….but for the most part the car is fixed .

03TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
01' NB, 5spd
The turbo brand new , good price , and now no more issues with the car. I feel better as it should be no problems for several years with that and the other maintenance I did.
Granted tires , brakes and wheel bearing are always gonna crop there heads up….but for the most part the car is fixed .
Excellent! I wonder if the vanes were sticky or just that control ring inside was getting wallowed out. I'm tempted to throw a new/rebuilt one on mine to see if it helps with the temporary overboost, and also the overall lack of boost consistency (sometimes it pulls strongly, but most of the time it's meh).

The rebuilt price used to be really good. It's creeped up now to being close to what the non-rebuilt price was. Guessing inflation.

norbert77

Veteran Member
TDI
01 beetle
Mine kept going into limp mode. Last oil change I got on the actuator arm and it barely moved. Then I heading it, it felt like I broke something then it worked a lot better after. I did adjust 2 turns for quicker boost, I'm going to add 2 more turns till I get over boost fails, then back off a bit. I think that's what the turbo needs, more movement of the vanes

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I checked the vanes and they are free , the problem is the actuator is sticking and the bearing at the ens is shot.
I’ll put a new actuator on it and keep it as a spare .
My main concern was for when my daughter moves away that’s not one-of the issues she will have for a while.
Peace of mind for me at least.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
My car has a small leak from the rear main seal that I need to do at some point...
How do you know rear main seal leak? When I was underneath mine putting skid plate on and making sure no rack leaks, I looked up in that hole where those 2 oil pan bolts are and saw it was damp with oil-outside of block/tranny area above that looks dry-is that a sign?

03TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
01' NB, 5spd
My main concern was for when my daughter moves away that’s not one-of the issues she will have for a while.
Peace of mind for me at least.
Totally get it. Mine just graduated from college and is home with us again but I don't know how long before she finds a job and moves away. She's completely clueless on car repairs and would easily get screwed over.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Same with mine…..

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
just got back from a little family road trip from cape cod down to VA and the NC coast. i was tweaking the tune in the wife's BEW golf along the way - 5spd 09a auto transmission. 40.7 and 40.7 mpg for the first couple tanks, not bad given the driving conditions. some heavy metropolitan traffic areas with a good amount of inching along in traffic jams, a decent amount of 80mph driving, good number of pit stops and relatively packed car with wife and 2 kids. 3rd tank netted 48.5mpg (725mi and low fuel light hadn't quite come on yet), and this next one would likely have maybe gotten better - 360mi and right at the 3/4 tank mark. decent amount of stops, keeping speeds a bit lower - under 65-75 for the most part. i have no doubt that if the car had a real transmission, we would have been getting 50-55mpg easy. but it is an encouraging sign, i must be doing something right with the tune :) i don't believe i've ever come this close to 50mpg with this car under similar driving conditions.

of course the AC which has always worked, decided to quit once we got down to VA where it was quite hot. AC clutch not turning on, rad fans do come on. multimeter showed 11-12v at the 2pin ac clutch connector.. just had to live without it for the trip.

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
Holy macaroni burpod, that is some pretty fine FE. I'd love to have you try the same thing on mine( which has an EUH )...LOL

I have noticed I don't do as well as I sometimes think of filling it up. I have gotten consistent 45 mpg when I make the calculation on 3-4 tanks worth. I still keep an eye on each tank as a window on its inner health; if something says it is 30 mpg, I'll know to look carefully for something silly.

Douglas

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
just got back from a little family road trip from cape cod down to VA and the NC coast. i was tweaking the tune in the wife's BEW golf along the way - 5spd 09a auto transmission. 40.7 and 40.7 mpg for the first couple tanks, not bad given the driving conditions. some heavy metropolitan traffic areas with a good amount of inching along in traffic jams, a decent amount of 80mph driving, good number of pit stops and relatively packed car with wife and 2 kids. 3rd tank netted 48.5mpg (725mi and low fuel light hadn't quite come on yet), and this next one would likely have maybe gotten better - 360mi and right at the 3/4 tank mark. decent amount of stops, keeping speeds a bit lower - under 65-75 for the most part. i have no doubt that if the car had a real transmission, we would have been getting 50-55mpg easy. but it is an encouraging sign, i must be doing something right with the tune :) i don't believe i've ever come this close to 50mpg with this car under similar driving conditions.

of course the AC which has always worked, decided to quit once we got down to VA where it was quite hot. AC clutch not turning on, rad fans do come on. multimeter showed 11-12v at the 2pin ac clutch connector.. just had to live without it for the trip.
Guthrie, is this the same MKIV BEW that you had way back in MN? If so are you the original owner? MKIV original owners are getting pretty rare.

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
yes, the same 2006 golf we've had since new, bought in MN. 260k on it now. auto trans still going strong, changed the fluid not too long ago. hopefully it keeps ticking. the rockers and some floor pan areas have some really bad rust going on unfortunately. otherwise, car is sturdy and drives great (as well as an automatic does)

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
i'm curious to see how the golf does for mpg in it's normal driving back around home. wife doesn't commute much anymore so it usually fairly short trips into town so miles don't rack up too quick. i know the tune is far from perfect. low rpm below 2000 needs some tweaking i'm pretty sure. boost still needs to be perfected. there's a number of things i'd like to do that i haven't yet figured out how to do, at least in edc16

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Replaced an inner tie-rod for the first time. Didn't have the dedicated tie-rod tool, but I was able to get an adjustable wrench on the big (~30mm?) nut, to loosen and then tighten it.
By far, the biggest challenge of the operation was getting at the inner boot clamp, both to pry it off and getting the tool on the new one.

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
I used zip ties on the inner boot end when I changed the inner TREs on a B5 Passat. just installing the boot was torture. No way was I going to be able to use the clamps. So I gave up and used the zip ties, and even that wasn’t easy. But the Passat rack is up high rather than down low.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
I used zip ties on the inner boot end when I changed the inner TREs on a B5 Passat. just installing the boot was torture. No way was I going to be able to use the clamps. So I gave up and used the zip ties, and even that wasn’t easy. But the Passat rack is up high rather than down low.
I used hose clamps on my tie rod boots, and then zipped them up with an 8mm socket. Works like a charm and not coming off later. I've had boots come off when I only used zipties, but I can't get them tight enough anyways.

03TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
01' NB, 5spd
I used hose clamps on my tie rod boots, and then zipped them up with an 8mm socket. Works like a charm and not coming off later. I've had boots come off when I only used zipties, but I can't get them tight enough anyways.
Invest in a zip tie 'gun'. I bought one of these from HF eons ago, and of course they don't carry this manual cut version anymore (you squeeze to the desired tension, then twist the gun 90 degrees to cut the tang flush). See the 4th method on this page - this is what my 'gun' looks like.
https://www.wikihow.com/Cut-Zip-Ties-Flush. Note that in their video, they do it wrong when cutting the zip tie.

You can really crank on the tension if you want with this tool, with a single hand.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
And what did I do?
Invest in a zip tie 'gun'. I bought one of these from HF eons ago, and of course they don't carry this manual cut version anymore (you squeeze to the desired tension, then twist the gun 90 degrees to cut the tang flush). See the 4th method on this page - this is what my 'gun' looks like.
https://www.wikihow.com/Cut-Zip-Ties-Flush. Note that in their video, they do it wrong when cutting the zip tie.

You can really crank on the tension if you want with this tool, with a single hand.
Ha, that part sounds painful. I currently have tennis elbow, or I characterize it as transmission elbow, on my right hand. Had it on my left last year and my accident exacerbated it. On top of which, any kind of grasping action with either hand that involves my thumb and index finger (and assuming I'm doing it repetitively), will result in excruciating pain (and the doctors aren't really sure what it is yet).

That gun doesn't look that bad, but I guess it depends on how much other work I've done on the car before I get to that point.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
I have the proper tool for those OE clamps (metal band where you squeeze a protruding portion to cinch it tight), but getting access to it on the inner / larger end of the boot was difficult, so I ended up removing the elbow into (what would typically be) the EGR, and the race pipe (no EGR), which made it at least uncomfortably do-able.

J_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 1.9l “Jedi”
Well I decided I better try to diagnose the *tick* my engine started making recently... screwdriver-to-ear test says it may be #4 injector, though I am not absolutely certain.
Not sure how bad it would be to keep driving it if it is an injector issue, but to be safe I guess I’ll have to fix the rad leak on my 6.5L so I can drive it instead.

I’m not too keen on that idea either with the price of diesel but oh well.

FWIW, the tick sounds a lot like this video I found on YouTube;

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
Well I decided I better try to diagnose the *tick* my engine started making recently... screwdriver-to-ear test says it may be #4 injector, though I am not absolutely certain.
Not sure how bad it would be to keep driving it if it is an injector issue, but to be safe I guess I’ll have to fix the rad leak on my 6.5L so I can drive it instead.

I’m not too keen on that idea either with the price of diesel but oh well.

FWIW, the tick sounds a lot like this video I found on YouTube;
You can check the injector contribution/balance with VCDS as well.