What did you do to your MKIV today?

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon
'03 sedan failed it's spring fan operation check :(

Both fans are working on both speeds when powered directly. Both run on low when I jumper 2-3 on the rad thermo switch, but don't run when I jumper 1-3. Fuses test good.

This points to a bad FCM, but is that test definitive? Is FCM failure common? A new one is $pendy
Fixed it :)

Turned out to be a poorly crimped pin in the FCM power connector. How it lasted 20 years like that is a mystery.

Cheap fix + AC for the wife = happy life :)

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
What did I do? Made it to Scottsdale, AZ Wednesday night and finally met Torque Dorque @nicklockard in person, and had a small meal at he and his wife's restaurant. Made for a fun time talking TDIs and showing off my towing setup!

hey_allen

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Was this on a NB or your Jetta? (I ask as the snow screen on the Jetta is larger)

I'm tempted now to cut mine out. Did you notice any performance difference? I'd think a 40% reduction in intake vacuum would be noticeable.
That was on my Jetta.
I don't know about a performance increase, but I was chasing a MPG issue and it seemed to help a little bit but didn't bring things back up to where I thought they should be.
That said, my car is a bit modified (11mm pump, DLC 520 nozzles, and Malone stage 3 tune) so even going light on the peddle is likely to have an impact on the MPG.

My average before the mods was around 46 MPG, after modification it is usually in the 39-42 range with a 50/50 city highway mix in a metro area.
I just moved to a rural area, so we'll see how it behaves.

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Since my Jetta’s replacement headlights have separate low and high beam bulbs, I did the “Golf” mod to the wiring of the stalk and headlight switch.

Pretty easy. No need to remove the steering wheel. Just pop off the top column cover, unplug the stalk connector (for more room), clip the yellow/green wire (I left a bit in case I need to reverse this at some point) add the repair wire, fish it to the headlight switch hole, plug into #7.

Now my lows stay on when I push the stalk forward.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
IBW got an oil change today, because this happened earlier this morning:

And this month I've owned IBW for 20 years. Look here:

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Sanded a spare set of headlights for my daughter's Golf.

I hope they came out in the correct order. Used 600 > 800 > 1500.

Also sanded the crazed 1k clear off my old headlights.
Needed to go down to 320 to get the crazed clear off.

Going to get 2K clear tomorrow.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
Sanded a spare set of headlights for my daughter's Golf.

I hope they came out in the correct order. Used 600 > 800 > 1500.

Also sanded the crazed 1k clear off my old headlights.
Needed to go down to 320 to get the crazed clear off.

Going to get 2K clear tomorrow.

Don't go all the way up to 1500 if you're going to spray a 2k. 800-1000 is plenty, that 2k will fill it perfectly.

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
haha I used what I had in the shed. I will give them a quick hit with the 800 before spraying the clear. Thanks.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
Zak,
Are you using some kind of backing block? Like a firm foam? That'll keep the cut even across the contours.
Krash is right, it needs a bit of "key"for the paint to lock in to the surface.

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Weather was not with me. Instead of "light" rain, we got a downpour. The splashing is what did me in.

Redid the 800 grit and sprayed the first coat (while also clearing the roof of the Jetta). Came out great. But a little after the second coat, the rain came down heavy, and splashing got on the clear. I will have to hit them again with 800 and do a couple more coats.

Roof was better protected (higher up) but still got some fine water droplets on it. I had a few coats down already, so I should be able to do some wet sanding and buffing. And of course as I was feathering the old clear where it peeled, I guess I sanded the base down to the primer.

Oh well, I knew going in I wasn't goIng to get a professional job. Abs I did not

kennethsime

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon GL TDI 5-Speed Baltic Green
No logic, this is what worked for me when my drivers door micro-switch failed. Locked the key in the car, once. Never did fix that (my first Jetta 99.5 TDI), just lazy. Your results may vary.
I've been doing this for the past week with no trouble at all. Thanks very much!

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
What did I do? Made it to Scottsdale, AZ Wednesday night and finally met Torque Dorque @nicklockard in person, and had a small meal at he and his wife's restaurant. Made for a fun time talking TDIs and showing off my towing setup!

Was a pleasure meeting you in person. Had to stop myself from dog-napping Elsa. What a beautiful and excellent pup!

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
Swapped out the 15" steel rims for some 16" Aluminum's and new tires.

Nice! You have a MUCH better selection of tires when you go to 16 and 17. All my mk4's are on 16's at minimum, so I can use W rated tires.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
Had my guru mount and balance my new set of Generals that I bought in the fall when there was a good rebate on them.
Still had a 1/32" left on the wear bars, but starting to slip in the wet.

Also adjusted the turbo with the length of the arm. An absolute beeetch to get to, but managed to lengthen the arm a
bit to curb the tendency to spike. Now peaks at 17"hg of vacuum, holds ~27psi of boost.

Something's up with the locknut and thumb adjust screw, I'll be damned if I'm going to pull the turbo to get at it though,
car runs great, just have to watch the throttle and boost gauge. Lol, she was running at 30psi boost, woowowowow!, man
does it go, but I'd grenade the turbo fer sure.

As an addendum, I recently bought one of the Bauer (Harbor Freight) brand 3/8"
20v battery powered impact driver. Removing the wheels for the tire replacement was its first real world test.
The sidekick chuckled when I started sayin', "That won't do nuttin'".
Well lo and behold, it handled the lug bolts just fine, and made very quick work of removal. For installation I
used the 1/4" driver version, and went lightly. Finishing off with my 1/2" hand powered torque wrench was a
breeze. I do have 5amp batteries on both these tools, dig around on Ebay and I've picked them up for $40@,
a substantial discount over buying in the store.

I've always been leary of investing in aforesaid impact wrenches, but for light to medium work, I'm sold.
I got both with coupons, and found that levelling the camper's scissors jacks is short work with the 3/8"
version. The 1/4" version on a slow speed removed my glow plugs with no problems, I took the precaution
of dosing them with penetrating oil for a few days before attempting removal/replacement.

Incidentally, both of these have had the same battery for some weeks now, albeit intermittent use, but no sign yet
of either needing any kind of a charge. I can now understand how the pros use impact drivers all the time.

Last edited:

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
With no air hose or electric cord, it sure is handy! Iirc the 3/8" version was ~ $70, I've already got a couple of the other tools,
a small circular saw, grinder, tire inflator, 1/2" drill. Not as rugged as Milwaukee, which is what I see the pro contractors seem
to be using a lot, but a lot cheaper, a "prosumer" grade if you will. I don't use them everyday, but I've been happy with
the Bauer brand. Wait for the occassional 10-15% coupon, and they're a baaaaaargain. :)

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
I like that the big Milwaukee can easily handle the front CV/spindle nuts. Or the rear on something like an Escalade... :) I keep it in the daily.

I intend to build a 2A-h pack with Samsung 20S...no hotter 18650 exists...though a Moli P30B might do for a 3A-h pack... :) Having a cell resistance welder is soooo sweet.
cheers,
Douglas

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
I use the Milwaukee 1/2 impact to take out head bolts on 15 liter engines, that are torqued to 300ftlbs plus 90 over. Tool doesn't kid around.

J_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 1.9l “Jedi”
Exhaust is now well on it's way being fabbed.

Teasers:

All TIG, 300 series stainless,

I requested that we use these v-band clamps/flanges at the connection points as well:

Holy cow dude! That is AWESOME!! Love the v-band stuff too, that’s a really good idea.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
I have several Milwaukee impacts, two half inch 18 volt, one 3/8" 18 volt stubby and one 3/8" 12 volt stubby, as well as one long reach 12v ratchet and one regular 12v ratchet.
My favorite one is the 12v stubby impact. It's the one I grab for all the time. It surprises me a lot by how much power it packs.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
I have several Milwaukee impacts, two half inch 18 volt, one 3/8" 18 volt stubby and one 3/8" 12 volt stubby, as well as one long reach 12v ratchet and one regular 12v ratchet.
My favorite one is the 12v stubby impact. It's the one I grab for all the time. It surprises me a lot by how much power it packs.
I haven't needed anything beyond a crimper for my fuel transfer tank, but I brought my M18 1/2" impact, M18 3/8" impact, sawzall, and some other M12/M18 tools. Ha, the less I have to use, means a successful trip!

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
Bummed I didn't see @KrashDH or @Nero Morg on this trip, but I did get to meet @BleachedBora /Aaron at Cascade German when I bought a bunch of parts. No more dual diaphragm clutches for the 02J, because they're now in my trailer!