What did you do to your MKIV today?

norbert77

Veteran Member
TDI
01 beetle
About 2 months ago I bought a new set of OEM beetle rims to replace my aftermarket ones. So I installed these 20-year-old rims and the one on the passenger side front has loosened off.

I had it up in the air looking under a for a very long time and gave up on it, fixed the turbo actuator maybe. when I went for a test drive by noticed that when I touch the break the noise went away. I had that once, when a mechanic safety my car and forgot to torque the lug nuts, so I came home and checked, sure enough it was a little loose. Not hand loose, but it only took about an eighth turn to snug them right back tight. I never did check these rims before mounting, I probably should have checked the lug nut hole

J_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 1.9l “Jedi”
Got my girl back from Brandon in FC. New compressor and thermostat. A/c is blowing colder than for in a long time and the temp is staying steady at just under 90C. It was wandering between 80 and 95C before.
80-95 on the dash gauge or was that in vcds or scangauge?

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
Twice I have been fooled by a loose wheel.
Always check your lugs, folks.
happened to me for the first time several months ago... was just after i had installed my 6psd and i was panicking i thought i screwed something with the 6pd surgery... i could *NOT* place the sound. took me some time listening to it to finally realize and then remember i forgot to torque the front passenger side wheel bolts fully after setting the car back down on the ground. what made it click was the noise would go away for the most part when car was under load. coming off throttle at low rpms it was a very odd, distinctive sound...

norbert77

Veteran Member
TDI
01 beetle
happened to me for the first time several months ago... was just after i had installed my 6psd and i was panicking i thought i screwed something with the 6pd surgery... i could *NOT* place the sound. took me some time listening to it to finally realize and then remember i forgot to torque the front passenger side wheel bolts fully after setting the car back down on the ground. what made it click was the noise would go away for the most part when car was under load. coming off throttle at low rpms it was a very odd, distinctive sound...
exactly!

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
i was going bananas... i was so worried it was my 6spd surgery i did and was going to have to take the trans out and apart again... major pita... ... and thank god my wheel didn't fly off either! first time making that mistake... yikes.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
Been there and done that before!

Oh yeah, and what did I do in my mk4? Drove to San Antonio Wrench-a-part, witth the latest revision of Podtronics tune.
Was going to pull some 02Js, but someone beat me to it... ALL OF THEM (gasser and diesel). I did get the HVAC assembly for Climatronics, though.

J_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 1.9l “Jedi”
Been there and done that before!

Oh yeah, and what did I do in my mk4? Drove to San Antonio Wrench-a-part, witth the latest revision of Podtronics tune.
Was going to pull some 02Js, but someone beat me to it... ALL OF THEM (gasser and diesel). I did get the HVAC assembly for Climatronics, though.
HA yeah I hear ya, went to the auto wrecker last weekend, they had one TDI, a BEW. Score!! I need a lift pump!! Well, some dirty buzzard took the pump but PUT THE COVER BACK ON, so I got all excited, grabbed my screwdriver and... “Oh come on!”
Lol

AGTDI

TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon
HA yeah I hear ya, went to the auto wrecker last weekend, they had one TDI, a BEW. Score!! I need a lift pump!! Well, some dirty buzzard took the pump but PUT THE COVER BACK ON, so I got all excited, grabbed my screwdriver and... “Oh come on!”
Lol
Oh, that's an ice cold gangster move. LOL

AGTDI

TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon
i was going bananas... i was so worried it was my 6spd surgery i did and was going to have to take the trans out and apart again... major pita... ... and thank god my wheel didn't fly off either! first time making that mistake... yikes.
I was going nuts too.
Worst part was that they were tight enough that I couldn't wiggle the wheel. I had the car up on four jackstands and was spinning wheels, checking bearings, brakes, CVs.... it was humiliating I tells ya.

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
R&R'd the front right wheel speed sensor. No more ABS light (or any other, for that matter). No jinx.

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Also sprayed white lithium grease on the creaky door hinges and topped up the oil. Got about 1500 miles till it’s due to change it. I believe I had to add 1 1/2 quarts total since the last oil change, which seems ok.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
Lol
When I've pulled lift pumps, I make it pretty obvious I've been in there, because I usually take the cover with me, and there's diesel EVERYWHERE in the back of the car (which usually covers up the stench of mold, ashtray, and dollar store cologne/perfume).

I was going to get a dash yesterday, but it fell off my cart, got two nicks on the top, and at $80 after core and tax, it wasn't worth it to keep it. After the steering wheel is gone, pulling the dash is honestly quite easy anyways.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
I'm glad the AC in my 2002 Golf works great, because it got HOT in San Antonio yesterday. That said, this is why I postponed my vacation another few days. In the event I need to take a nap after driving for several hours, I don't think heat soak will work in my favor, especially in the West Texas desert, especially with my German Shepherd with me. It'll be 10-15 degrees cooler starting on Monday.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
I'm glad the AC in my 2002 Golf works great, because it got HOT in San Antonio yesterday. That said, this is why I postponed my vacation another few days. In the event I need to take a nap after driving for several hours, I don't think heat soak will work in my favor, especially in the West Texas desert, especially with my German Shepherd with me. It'll be 10-15 degrees cooler starting on Monday.
You’ve really been getting your hands into it lately!

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
I'm guessing this is a "Clusters by Litke" job on the cluster? What's the final cost on something like that, assuming you provide him with the guts and shell of a working cluster?
This is actually a "Clusters by @gmenounos " deal. And thanks to Russia doing what they did, no more ColorMFA sadly, because I really want another one! But it set me back $475.

Diesel Fumes

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 alh tdi 5 speed
I learned today that the trip odometer resets at 2000km/(miles?). Crazy that after driving mk4s for like 1 million miles or so, I never realized that.

J_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 1.9l “Jedi”
Oh, that's an ice cold gangster move. LOL
Haha yep. I left the cover off and put the screws back in their holes
Dang now I want one! That thing looks so cool

kennethsime

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon GL TDI 5-Speed Baltic Green
New tail light bulbs all the way around, along with a new bulb tray/socket one the driver's side. Still get the door chime as if my lights are on when I leave my foot on the brake and open my door. The metal on the passenger side socket is also peeling up from the plastic tray right around the brake light - maybe I'll get another for that side.

I almost got LED bulbs, but a brief googling showed that a lot of TDI Club members seemed to have trouble with them 10 years ago.

Also replaced my window switch. It had been acting up ever since I bought the car, but had gotten really bad the last few months. So nice to feel a nice, firm response form the switches again! As an added bonus, my rear passenger side door locks more reliably now - it's been having issues doing so, and now I wonder if it was maybe just a poor connection with the window switch.

Finally, got a new VW emblem for my key fob.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
Same here.
Is there a website or anything for more info?
You can google ColorMFA. They're based in Russia, so unless they somehow start producing it elsewhere in Eastern Europe, I wouldn't count on getting one anytime soon. I've looked at the instructions to build it yourself (entirely doable), and it kinda looks like a real clusterf**k if you don't know what you're doing. Wires going everywhere, LOTS of soldering. It's also nice using the built-in boost gauge function, though (which taps off one wire on my 3 bar MAP, onto an unused pin on the ride side instrument cluster plug).

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
I almost got LED bulbs, but a brief googling showed that a lot of TDI Club members seemed to have trouble with them 10 years ago.
@burpod claims that he got all LEDs working. Actually, while I was in CA myself, I kept blowing fuses when I had all LED tail/brake lights, and switching back to incandescents fixed that. I can use an LED for my rear fog, however, though that's not yet hooked up (a future retrofit when I plumb in a 53 relay for that job).

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
ive had LEDs (not headlights) all-round for years in several mk4s, mk1, and mk3 and no problems. i did modify the mk4 hazard switch so it has the constant blink speed (no-error detection). it blinks a little faster than "normal", but think it's acceptable and doesn't bother me. the LEDs i've use were ones from superbrightleds.com as well as some ebay ones (which can be hit or miss as far as the quality you think you're getting)

AGTDI

TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon
You can google ColorMFA. They're based in Russia, so unless they somehow start producing it elsewhere in Eastern Europe, I wouldn't count on getting one anytime soon. I've looked at the instructions to build it yourself (entirely doable), and it kinda looks like a real clusterf**k if you don't know what you're doing. Wires going everywhere, LOTS of soldering. It's also nice using the built-in boost gauge function, though (which taps off one wire on my 3 bar MAP, onto an unused pin on the ride side instrument cluster plug).
Thanks.
I will stick with the ol scan gage II for now!

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon
'03 sedan failed it's spring fan operation check :(

Both fans are working on both speeds when powered directly. Both run on low when I jumper 2-3 on the rad thermo switch, but don't run when I jumper 1-3. Fuses test good.

This points to a bad FCM, but is that test definitive? Is FCM failure common? A new one is $pendy

Last edited: