What did you do to your MKIV today?

C.Powell

TDI
MkIV Jetta Station Wagon
Parking brake cables. Due to the aroma of hot brake pad following a below 0 snap after a warm spell Ken suggested try replacing the cables first. 45 mins to swap the cables and 3.5 hours to dismantle and reassemble the centre console (including taking it in for a good scrubbing). Putting the support for the centre armrest over the adjuster nut for the cable yoke might have been convenient for the factory but does mean taking the trim off to get to it should you need to get to the parking brake cables. But the brake is not dragging anymore.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
I've seen that thing floating around the interwebs... Ugly as can be and doesn't look safe either. Looks thrown together.
For $7.5K, it probably was. I have at least $2500-3000 already into my 2000 Golf, not counting labor, and I still haven't even started on the performance upgrades yet.

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
Had some fun with the '00 today. Akebono GG pads all around, and the rear shocks got replaced. Bilstein TC Sport valved. Nice and solid, and not harsh at all. Not as firm as the HD, but they'll do. Had to giggle, that beastie has the smallest puff of smoke on start.

On the brakes, thoroughly enjoyed the Metalnerd rear caliper tool. I got a spare with a tools buy, and took the key off it so it can be used to push the fronts back in. Ever so nice. Then after the test drive, fixin' to put away all the tools I found a puddle. WTH! Son eyeballing it, wife eyeballing it...slightly oily, and very good at cleaning the dirt from my fingertip...I tasted it. Brake fluid...oozed from the reservoir on caliper retract.
cheers,
Douglas

FluffySmooth

TDI
2003 Alaska Green Jetta ALH TDI sedan 180,000 miles 02J 5spd transmission (aftermarket injectors, unsure of brand)
Found that a differential bearing may be going bad in my 2003 02J lol

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
FYI- ball joint does NOT have to be messed with, neither does loosening bottom strut bolt, to replace driver side cv axle. Only thing I took apart was sway bar bolt so I could swing it down. I'm sure it'd make it easier, but at least I still have good alignment. Oh, and clicking is still present at full lock either way. I'll be trying the right axle next, and if clicking still there, time to get used tranny cleaned up.... then I can feel safe about putting Raxles in...

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
What did I do to my mk4's today... got some hail claims inspected. They might total out the 2000 Golf, which fine. No salvage title required here or in Colorado. The Beetle got the least damage, at $1500, but with what it cost and how much in parts I have into it, it's now a free car. Everything got some kind of damage, except the larger trailers, and my recently acquired traffic trailers converted into utility trailers (more below).

Pictures of the hail, since preserved in my freezer:

/

It looks small, but mom measured one that fell in her yard that was 2". It was a mix between pea sizzed and ping pong ball sized. We had a small tornado blow through. I lost about $120 of plastic foam board insulation, and the crappy local BBQ place lost its roof. Neighbors and others in town had 200+ year old oak trees ripped out of the ground. Those supercell storms are pretty intense!

Also have twin license plates for my twin Golfs, as <3 DSUL just arrived for the 2000 Golf:

Other work - had a bulging/swolen coolant reservoir pipe. Replaced that the other night, but it wasn't secured right (damn Gates aftermarket crap that wouldn't fit properly into the factory clips, so it got ruined by the accessory belt pulley. Replaced it with a smaller gates from the junkyard and OEM power steering. Worked out, because the power steering fluid looked like viscuous urine. Drained most of that out and put in new CHF11S, as well as my own pre-mixed G13. Oh, and yes, I did put back my oil pressure switch. PO wrapped it with electrical tape. Crappy soldering job, the connector was broken, 2 or 3 strands were attached. Got a new switch from my junkyard ALH on a stand, and that's on this car. One of the gifts that keeps on giving. PO also stripped the bolt hole for the rear most dogbone mount, so I'll do some research and find out what size timesert I need to buy. Ugh!

Not totally mk4 related, except that it's the perfect size to tow with a mk4, and has mom's wagon on the background (and the insurance adjuster's hybrid Equinox). I did a quick spray paint job, because it looked better than the old faded orange and covered up some primer (that covered up rust/bare areas done over with a flap disc). This is my new farm trailer, which will be towed with TDIs or the side by side.

Last edited:

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
Had some fun with the '00 today. Akebono GG pads all around, and the rear shocks got replaced. Bilstein TC Sport valved. Nice and solid, and not harsh at all. Not as firm as the HD, but they'll do. Had to giggle, that beastie has the smallest puff of smoke on start.

On the brakes, thoroughly enjoyed the Metalnerd rear caliper tool. I got a spare with a tools buy, and took the key off it so it can be used to push the fronts back in. Ever so nice. Then after the test drive, fixin' to put away all the tools I found a puddle. WTH! Son eyeballing it, wife eyeballing it...slightly oily, and very good at cleaning the dirt from my fingertip...I tasted it. Brake fluid...oozed from the reservoir on caliper retract.
cheers,
Douglas
I don't envy you. Brakes can be a PITA. At least you went with Akebono pads. That's all I'll use.

Hope you enjoy those B4's. I just put B4's on the Golf and I'm regretting it, so I'm going to order some B6's instead, along with some Neuspeed Sport sofsport (because I don't need/want the same drop I have as on my Sportwagen).

TDI
Jetta GLS Mk4 2005 PD
A leaking valve cover was recently repaired using an aftermarket gasket, but after a few weeks it leaked even more oil. The repair shop repaired again, this time using just a liquid gasket. So far it seems to be a good seal. At 300,000 km is this type of repair normal ?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Some PD valve covers will take a replacement gasket, some will not. If yours doesn't and they attempted to put a gasket on it, it's going to leak. I can't say how well the liquid gasket will last. If your valve cover isn't compatible with the replacement gasket the best way to fix it long term is a new valve cover. But that's not inexpensive.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
Some PD valve covers will take a replacement gasket, some will not. If yours doesn't and they attempted to put a gasket on it, it's going to leak. I can't say how well the liquid gasket will last. If your valve cover isn't compatible with the replacement gasket the best way to fix it long term is a new valve cover. But that's not inexpensive.
Even if it's a new gasket for a PD, I always use RTV. They ALL leak, new or not.

J_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 1.9l “Jedi”
Well it was last night actually but I pulled the Jetta and 1.8T badges off my ‘04 parts car trunk lid, and swapped it onto my ALH. I’m liking the clean look as well as that little lip along top the edge, I think it looks really good!
Also discovered that the intercooler from said parts car is not the same as the one on my ALH... kinda unfortunate that I can’t swap them but maybe I have an excuse to get a better SMIC now lol

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
Well it was last night actually but I pulled the Jetta and 1.8T badges off my ‘04 parts car trunk lid, and swapped it onto my ALH. I’m liking the clean look as well as that little lip along top the edge, I think it looks really good!
Also discovered that the intercooler from said parts car is not the same as the one on my ALH... kinda unfortunate that I can’t swap them but maybe I have an excuse to get a better SMIC now lol
You can swap the pancake pipe off the 1.8t and I believe the intercooler will work. I know the 1.8t pancake pipe and a "tacotaco" intercooler (ebay cheap bar aluminum intercooler) was a common swap back in the day.

J_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 1.9l “Jedi”
You can swap the pancake pipe off the 1.8t and I believe the intercooler will work. I know the 1.8t pancake pipe and a "tacotaco" intercooler (ebay cheap bar aluminum intercooler) was a common swap back in the day.
Yes I’m stealing the pancake pipe, finished painting it yesterday.
I was hoping to use the intercooler as well, as mine is pretty trashed, but it turns out my ALH intercooler is an inch thicker than the 1.8t one. Same part number, almost, just the letter at the end is different.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Put the cheapie right axle in to see if that side was the bad axle causing clicking. Good news is that the clicking is now gone! Gonna delay tranny swap for a bit now that the clicking is gone. Saving the Raxles to put in when I do that. The grease in the inner CV and flange was black and almost hardened. I only disconnected sway bar link on this side also, so alignment still intact. Took the heat shield off for some more wiggle room.

kennethsime

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon GL TDI 5-Speed Baltic Green
Filled up the tank (actually on Tuesday, I think), $99.99. Diesel was $6.539/gal.

Checked the oil (to the amazement of other drivers at the station), wiped down the windshield, and managed to drive off with the fuel tank cap on top of the car. I noticed it as soon as it fell off, just in time to see the half-ton Dodge drive over it and obliterate it into many small pieces.

Stopped by O'Reilly's to get a generic cap, and ordered an OEM part from ID Parts this morning, along with an Atlas Skid Plate, engine side skirts, a new driver's side window switch, and some new rear brake pads. I bought my car with no belly pan, and no side skirts - I think the prior owner damaged these in a collision, and just never replaced them. Looking forward to a small MPG bump.

My passenger side view mirror fell off the other day, luckily I caught it before it hit the ground, and squirreled it away.

Asked about it on Reddit, everyone recommended Epoxy to reinstall. I think I'll pick up some JB Weld, unless someone has a better idea?

Also bought a new tail light bulb tray from eBay this morning. My driver's side bulb tray has been funky since I replaced my rear tail light bulb a month or two ago, and has been causing two strange things:
  1. My Glow Plug Light comes one sometimes
  2. Holding down the brake pedal, even with lights off, results in the "lights still on" chime when I open my door.
I think the metal is just peeling away from the plastic plate, making for a poor connection. Hopefully the new tray takes care of that!

Last edited:

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
Filled up the tank (actually on Tuesday, I think), $99.99. Diesel was $6.539/gal.

Checked the oil (to the amazement of other drivers at the station), wiped down the windshield, and managed to drive off with the fuel tank cap on top of the car. I noticed it as soon as it fell off, just in time to see the half-ton Dodge drive over it and obliterate it into many small pieces.

Stopped by O'Reilly's to get a generic cap, and ordered an OEM part from ID Parts this morning, along with an Atlas Skid Plate, engine side skirts, a new driver's side window switch, and some new rear brake pads. I bought my car with no belly pan, and no side skirts - I think the prior owner damaged these in a collision, and just never replaced them. Looking forward to a small MPG bump.

My passenger side view mirror fell off the other day, luckily I caught it before it hit the ground, and squirreled it away.

Asked about it on Reddit, everyone recommended Epoxy to reinstall. I think I'll pick up some JB Weld, unless someone has a better idea?

Also bought a new tail light bulb tray from eBay this morning. My driver's side bulb tray has been funky since I replaced my rear tail light bulb a month or two ago, and has been causing two strange things:
  1. My Glow Plug Light comes one sometimes
  2. Holding down the brake pedal, even with lights off, results in the "lights still on" chime when I open my door.
I think the metal is just peeling away from the plastic plate, making for a poor connection. Hopefully the new tray takes care of that!
Fuel cap power move:

Those notches in your gas cap are so you can rest it on the door.

As far as the mirror is concerned, you can use a 2 part epoxy yes. You could also use some of that 3M double sided tape (black and it's got the red colored plastic on one side that you peel. Just make sure that both surfaces are extremely clean, then I actually heat up the surfaces with a hair dryer or something. That way it kind of "softens" the tape when you first install it and gives it a min to create a good bond before it cools.

The other way to go is just replace that mirror all together. I purchased a set of aspherical mirrors off fleabay and for the $40 I paid, really like them. Better visibility.

Last edited:

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Back when I first got my wagon, I found out about that fuel door trick. I also just had the right quarter repainted due to prior owner damage. Went to go fill up, and here in glorious Oregon, it's frowned upon pumping your own diesel, and the tenant just dropped it and let it bang up against the fresh clear coat.

Oh man I still remember watching it like it was in slow mo

kennethsime

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon GL TDI 5-Speed Baltic Green
Fuel cap power move:

Those notches in your gas cap are so you can rest it on the door.

As far as the mirror is concerned, you can use a 2 part epoxy yes. You could also use some of that 3M double sided tape (black and it's got the red colored plastic on one side that you peel. Just make sure that both surfaces are extremely clean, then I actually heat up the surfaces with a hair dryer or something. That way it kind of "softens" the tape when you first install it and gives it a min to create a good bond before it cools.

The other way to go is just replace that mirror all together. I purchased a set of aspherical mirrors off fleabay and for the $40 I paid, really like them. Better visibility.
Man, that is so clutch! Had no idea. VW really does think of everything.

I thought about using some VHB tape, but I just feel like epoxy is going to get the two surfaces closer together. I do like the idea of the aspherical mirrors. My heating elements are burnt out, probably from the prior owner leaving them on too long, and I wouldn't mind replacing the whole thing if I didn't have to repaint.

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
Man, that is so clutch! Had no idea. VW really does think of everything.

I thought about using some VHB tape, but I just feel like epoxy is going to get the two surfaces closer together. I do like the idea of the aspherical mirrors. My heating elements are burnt out, probably from the prior owner leaving them on too long, and I wouldn't mind replacing the whole thing if I didn't have to repaint.
The mirror glass clips in with the heating element as part of the glass.
https://www.idparts.com/passenger-side-mirror-glass-1j1857522j-56647-p-13854.html

hey_allen

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
I stuck my mirror back on with some Gorilla clear double sided mounting tape (Amazon link here) that I picked up at Lowe's for ~$7.
My only complaint is that it's slightly slower to defog/defrost than the other mirror that still has the factory adhesive.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
W.TF? And here, it keeps going down. I think it's down to like $4.59 in some places. Good thing I'll be heading to CA next week with 120 gallons of fresh Texas diesel on my trailer. :)

Too bad - Cascade German (@BleachedBora ) has OEM caps for like $15 on ebay, or his store. I replaced all of mine on the mk4s, because they the strap, so they won't be lost when I fill up.
pedal, even with lights off, results in the "lights still on" chime when I open my door.