What did you do to your MKIV today?

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Lol sooo true….

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
What did I do to my mk4.... Well... I apparently misunderstood the whole "complimentary minor port/polish" deal on a head, when I purchased a @Franko6 Stage 2 cam, and I didn't have the conscience to back out of work that I didn't know I had commissioned, so I've now entered into the realm of a future engine build/medium power (I'm thinking in the 190-230HP range). Got a ported/polished head, and Stage 2 cam/PD lifters (those go into the 2000, which already has a new-ish AMC head from the PO), but I have been contemplating a new turbo on my 2002 for a while.

Frank is a super nice guy, and very knowledgable. Here he is, inspecting one of the valves from a head I brought in (I passed by him on the way home from a government auction purchase).

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
From TSB 19-17-01

Note:

When mixing G12Evo with G11, G12, G12+, G12++ or G13 the coolant becomes brown, this is normal and does NOT necessitate a coolant system drain and fill.
Looks like the junkyard is already selling G12Evo mixed with other G coolants. ;-P

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Looks like the junkyard is already selling G12Evo mixed with other G coolants. ;-P
Pay a core charge for used coolant? How stupid.

The wreckers here aren't allowed to sell used fluid, it all has to be recycled.
Now if only they'd quit drilling master cylinders, diff covers, trans covers, and fuel tanks....

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
Pay a core charge for used coolant? How stupid.

The wreckers here aren't allowed to sell used fluid, it all has to be recycled.
Now if only they'd quit drilling master cylinders, diff covers, trans covers, and fuel tanks....
Haha, no sh!t. Or destroying the 17mm plugs on 02J transmissions. One yard destroys those plugs, another yard keeps them intact, but destroys battery cables by cutting them... ugh.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
My '99.5 Golf got a paint correction and ceramic coating.

Maybe a little excessive for an old economy car, but it sure looks nice. If you like red.
I'm also growing fond of the stock wheel covers. Might run with those for a while, despite having 3 sets of alloys for this car.

benmarks

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS Sedan Platinum Gray
Looks great. The first of my three TDI Jetta sedans was a brand new 2000 model in Tornado Red.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
'99.5 (and 2000, I think) Golfs were Flash Red, not T-Red. That started in '01. I like Flash Red better, it's a little brighter than Tornado Red.

MukGyver

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD
NOT FOR ME BUT this looked like a very low price for a Stage 4 clutch, probably a piece of junk I imagine.

Last edited:

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
Resonance frequency is going to change with only 10 lbs hanging off the back. Especially since it is the I( J actually... LOL ) value that is going to be significantly reduced here.
cheers,
Douglas

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
NOT FOR ME BUT this looked like an awesome price for a Stage 4 unless they are just a crappy manufacturer.

STAGE 4 SOLID CLUTCH KIT+FLYWHEEL fits 1999-2005 VW JETTA 1.9L TDI by CXP

$230.64
$248.0 (7% off)

For that price, I'm thinking it's just Chinesium junk. I decided myself that I'll just use my clutch on the 2000 Golf until it starts slipping, and put in something better (or maybe swap in my dual diaphragm, and put something beefier in the 2002). The previous owner put in some craptastic $100 XTD clutch. It works, but I also haven't really broken it in or had fun with the car yet.

benmarks

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS Sedan Platinum Gray
Oh interesting re Flash Red. There were some pretty rare one-off MK4 colors those first 18 or so months as well, at least some from using up MK3 paint. This MyTurboDiesel chart has some weirdo MK4 colors:

MukGyver

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD
For that price, I'm thinking it's just Chinesium junk. I decided myself that I'll just use my clutch on the 2000 Golf until it starts slipping, and put in something better (or maybe swap in my dual diaphragm, and put something beefier in the 2002). The previous owner put in some craptastic $100 XTD clutch. It works, but I also haven't really broken it in or had fun with the car yet.
FYI. . . .Good call pkhoury. I did some checking . From what I see out there I would not do business with ClutcheXpert. . . EVER! Quite literally ALL but maybe one or two oddball reviews were bad.

Pancake Slap

TDI
2005 5spd Jetta Wagon TDI
Well, the weather is nice, so I'm finally painting my wheels and calipers! I'll post some pics when it's all done.

On a side note, I've noticed my economy has jumped tremendously since replacing my clutch and flywheel. Like from 38 mpg to 51 mpg. It's most likely due to changing driving styles during the break in period, but still, I'm pretty hyped.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
"Just throw a fliddamper at it then ;)" Nero Morg

No way a Fluidampr would fix a 50% reduction in flywheel weight. If and when I need another SBC, I've toyed with
the idea of having a couple #s shaved off my flywheel, but nothing lighter than 18#s or so. And I already have an FAmpr.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
It was mostly me being funny. I wouldn't go lighter than 18lb, but I went with a 21 for (hopefully) better highway eco.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Yesterday I tore down an ALH. I need to get my mk4 fixed. The head had been replaced on it before I got it, and I got to looking at it, and there's no name, no part number, etc... The cam is straight, no chamfer on the lobes at all, etc... Yeah, that's it, likely a Hans/prothe head. Well, I found a guy who is working on a bew/ALH hybrid using brm pistons. He's wanting to trade a BEW head and injectors for an ALH head.
Now I've got a few more ALH parts I'm getting rid of.
In other things, I'm working on buying a new house, so it gives me incentive to sell off a few of my project cars.

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon
Replaced the supply side power steering hose on the wagon due a pinhole at the rack, working in my driveway in snow and freezing rain :( That banjo bolt at the rack is a real bugger to get started without crossthreading or dropping the seal, especially since the only new hoses available don't have the cooling coil so there's nothing you can grab to hold the hose end square.

Debating thoroughly cleaning the problem area of the old hose, JB welding the pinhole, and keeping it as a spare because it's a 300 dollar part. Think JB would work in this application?

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Given that it's low-pressure line....could you cut it and hose-clamp the ends to a brass hose connector?

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
Replaced the supply side power steering hose on the wagon due a pinhole at the rack, working in my driveway in snow and freezing rain :( That banjo bolt at the rack is a real bugger to get started without crossthreading or dropping the seal, especially since the only new hoses available don't have the cooling coil so there's nothing you can grab to hold the hose end square.

Debating thoroughly cleaning the problem area of the old hose, JB welding the pinhole, and keeping it as a spare because it's a 300 dollar part. Think JB would work in this application?
I put one of these on when I went manual from the OE automagicallytrash box. I don't think the for-a-manual one cost me $300, and YES, that bolt was a high-PITA factor...got to be straight or it is game-the-heck-over.

Nuje, it is indeed the high-pressure one...and NO, I'd not attempt JB weld. I picture fighting the rear banjo bolt back in and having it leak anyway...LOL
cheers,
Douglas

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI

If you wrap he rubber end of the fitting with a soaking wet towel, a quick TIG weld will seal it up and not cause any damage.

I replaced mine last spring - it was too far gone to fix, and yep, $300, but it has the coiled up part on it.

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
On #2 son's MkIV Golf (gasser) fixed his driver's door window switches.

When he bought it, the PO had it a bit apart and a second switch assembly, but told us it didn't work. Since the windows worked with the key in the door, my son figured that he could live with it. We did pull back the rubber boot and reconnect two broken wires there, but that didn't fix the issue.

Scanned it with VCDS; no faults in the CCM. Couldn't communicate with central electrical or central locks. Pulled the door a bit apart, and the plug going to the window switches didn't fit right at all. Did some more disassembly, and found that the PO had plugged the connector for the side mirror (car side) into the window switches, and the correct plug was just dangling in the door.

Funny how things work when they are connected properly.