What did you do to your MKIV today?

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
Always appreciate seeing another person who believes that proper car-fixing attire is shorts & sandals! đź‘Ť
I'm bad. I do have steel toe boots, but I've changed timing belts or suspension using shorts and flip flops!

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
Oh and for today - I replaced the VNT17 adapter and got rid of my last boost leak. My 2002 hauls a$$ now on the Podtronics Econo-tune. Honestly, I think my days of Malone tunes on any EDC15 cars are over.

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
On daughter's 05 Golf--her wipers stopped working Wednesday evening. She said they were stuck mid stroke, so she put them back down by hand when she parked it (should be impossible).

SHe brought it over yesterday after work. I noticed that her motor was still working, but it didn't move the wipers at all. Took out her wiper transmission and motor. The short brass arm that connects the motor to the transmission was spinning on the shaft. Threads in the nut were stripped out, and the threads on the shaft were a litle buggered. Also, the splines on the arm were a bit trashed. Found a nut that fit, added a couple washers and tightened it down so works for now. Her pax wiper arm didn't want to install correctly on its spindle, but I eventually got it to work.

Told her to set aside some $ for new wiper motor/transmission, because if/when they work loose again, there will be no repair.

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Linkage is good actually--moves freely. Brass arm is marginal, as are the threads for the nut on the motor shaft it sits on.

I guess she could get a new motor a brass arm, which I now see you sell separately. Just wish that piece wasn't $32. Half the cost of a complete transmission.

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
At least this is not dealing with the wiring connector diff between a 2000 and 2001-up version...LOL Fortunately the wires are the same qty and colour and a late connector can be grafted on.

Douglas

J_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 1.9l “Jedi”
Just washed the Jetta and noticed the bulb shield in the left headlight rattling around loose in there...
Also decided to watch voltage drop with my Scangauge while starting this morning, before turning the key we had a little over 11 volts and I saw it drop to at least 7 volts while cranking... I knew the battery was bad but I didn’t think it was THAT bad haha. And being that the scangauge is digital and only updates every what, two seconds? or so, voltage may have dropped even further. Anyway i checked with my local parts place and they only have a Magnacharge in 94R, for like $180+ (Canadian) so I think I may make a trip to the “big city” tomorrow.

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Installed the new pivot bushings from IDParts on the tranny. T'was a right b!tch to get the old ones out, but perseverance everything saved the day. Pipe brush I bought was too big, but I found an old bolt that barely fit to clean out the corrosion. Coated the bore with a little red grease to prevent future corrosion and installed the bushings.

First I used the same grease on the pivot pin. Had to tap it the last 1/2” or so to get it in. Shifting was fine, but it still didn’t totally return to center on its own from left or right. Pulled it again, cleaned the red grease out, and sprayed some graphite lube in the bushes and on the shaft. Again had to tap it in the last 1/2”. Same shifter feel.

Shouldn’t the pin slide all the way in by hand?

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
Zak, I think you should get a bore brush to get after the hole the bushings go into. Maybe a bit of scotchbrite tied to a string you can drag back and forth. The hole is too small, and it is compressing the plastic.
cheers,
Douglas

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Zak, I think you should get a bore brush to get after the hole the bushings go into. Maybe a bit of scotchbrite tied to a string you can drag back and forth. The hole is too small, and it is compressing the plastic.
cheers,
Douglas
I believe you are correct. Went back outside to remove the bell crank a third time today, but the rain is starting. Hope it’s dry tomorrow.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Finally got to the point of putting a battery in my 02 AEG--->ALH swap. Turned the key and got starter action. But alas....no fuel.
Time for more fun with 🤬 wiring.

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
cheers,
Douglas
Took advantage of the rain lightening up. Pulled the bell crank and had at the bore with the bolt again. Got some more corrosion out, slipped the bushes in, and the pin slipped in effortlessly.

Now the gear shift positively snaps back to dead center. Driving to pick up my son, I was amazed at how easily it shifts now.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Learned that if you're doing a swap - putting in new ECU and cluster, you do NOT do both at the same time and expect the IMMO matching to work.
So - went back to the original cluster and followed Ross-Tech's ECU Swap instructions. Once that was all happy (no key matching necessary on that step), then did the cluster swap. Then the key pairing with the cluster and....all good. No IMMO errors.
(But alas, with the drizzle all day today here, did not dig into the wiring. Ran a wire and ground for outside air temp, but that's it.)

Oh - also discovered that the coolant line leading from the base of the coolant reservoir under the power steering reservoir and down alongside the radiator, had a cut in it. Not a "drip, drip, drip" leak, but a good-steady-stream gash that drained the coolant ball in less than a minute. 🤦‍♂️

WanderTDI

TDI
2002 ALH Jetta
On daughter's 05 Golf--her wipers stopped working Wednesday evening. She said they were stuck mid stroke, so she put them back down by hand when she parked it (should be impossible).

SHe brought it over yesterday after work. I noticed that her motor was still working, but it didn't move the wipers at all. Took out her wiper transmission and motor. The short brass arm that connects the motor to the transmission was spinning on the shaft. Threads in the nut were stripped out, and the threads on the shaft were a litle buggered. Also, the splines on the arm were a bit trashed. Found a nut that fit, added a couple washers and tightened it down so works for now. Her pax wiper arm didn't want to install correctly on its spindle, but I eventually got it to work.

Told her to set aside some $ for new wiper motor/transmission, because if/when they work loose again, there will be no repair.
I replaced my seized-up wiper linkage. Wasn't nearly as difficult as I though it would be. If your wipers are binding or slowing down, this is the fix. You can pick up a good set from vendors here on the forum (like IDParts), or a cheap set from Amazon. That's what my sister did for hers and I can tell a difference. I'm sure it will do the job, but I try to support the people here. I also repaired the wiper fluid reservoir so no more annoying BEEP! every time I start the car.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
Linkage is good actually--moves freely. Brass arm is marginal, as are the threads for the nut on the motor shaft it sits on.

I guess she could get a new motor a brass arm, which I now see you sell separately. Just wish that piece wasn't $32. Half the cost of a complete transmission.
Just pull one from the junkyard. Can't be that expensive.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
Finally got over 50mpg doing 65-75mph highway driving.... by switching my tune and fixing a boost leak the other day with one of those VNT17 clip adapters. Now I'm leaning towards swapping with an 1856 turbo in the next two weeks...

hooville

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GLS, 2016 GTI, 2015 TDI Sportwagen S
Finally knocked a few items off the MK4 to do list:
Replaced the thermostat and temp sensor, removed the EGR cooler, N18 and related vacuum hoses, cleaned the EGR valve and intake, flushed the cooling system and changed over to G13 since the G12+ that was in there doesn't play well with G13.
I added almost 5 lbs of lightness and will (hopefully) never have to clean the intake again!

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Dropped the wife off at a play today. Heard some rattling coming from the right rear, like when I had bad shock mounts. Pulled over after dropping her at the theater, but the wheel was fine so I drove 25 minutes home.

There I jacked up the right rear, and the bump stop/dust boot had fallen out of the mount, so I tucked it back up and in, thinking that might have been what was rattling. Test drive showed it was still rattling.

Jacked it up again and got underneath. I noticed that the washer for the lower shock bolt had some play (I recently installed a Whiteline RSB). Went to tighten the bolt back up, and I noticed the head of the bolt was not there!

Found a vw bolt (I keep old tty and suspension bolts in a drawer if they look good) that fit, although a little long. Could not find a second that matched it (another bolt looked just too short to go thru the shock and the rsb link), so I still have the white line bolt in the left shock. It's a little weird that they are Allen cap screws rather than normal bolts (the whiteline hardware).

Amazon AI just wanted me to return the whole thing, so I left a message at the whiteline website. I'm asking for a whole new hardware kit.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
And yes, those are Paw Patrol bandaids. Got a deep paper cut opening up my new HF floor jack. Having two floor jacks is a really a beautiful thing.
Yes it is. I just have a large and small HF floor jack. Having trouble finding someone who can come to the ranch and possibly assess/install my hydraulic lifts I bought from @alphaseinor when he closed his shop, so for the time being, it's HF ramps/jacks/jack stands (when they have them in stock).

hooville

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GLS, 2016 GTI, 2015 TDI Sportwagen S
Where have you heard that from? I've heard that the newer stuff is backwards compatible with G12 (?).
Engine Coolant - There is a Difference!! | Ross-Tech Forums

Here's a link, there are numerous iterations of this chart. G12++ is fully compatible but mixing with G12 & G12+ results in a loss of corrosion protection (so not fully compatible). Since I intend to leave the G13 in for the long haul keeping the corrosion at bay is key. I heard the same thing and added G13 when i did the timing belt last summer and decided it wasn't worth the risk since i had the cooling system open again. Hopefully someone who knows more chemistry than me can explain the potential issues...

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I heard the other day that VW is discontinuing production of G13, replacing it with G12. Not clear if it's the same G12 as years go or not. And I don't know if G12 is reverse compatible to G13 (yes, reverse, even though it's a lower number).

Very confusing.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
I heard the other day that VW is discontinuing production of G13, replacing it with G12. Not clear if it's the same G12 as years go or not. And I don't know if G12 is reverse compatible to G13 (yes, reverse, even though it's a lower number).

Very confusing.
From TSB 19-17-01

Technical Background

Coolants G11, G12, G12+ and G12++ and G13 have been replaced by a newly introduced G12Evo coolant.

Note:

The GEN III EA288 TDI
(MY2015 2.0L TDI CVCA and CRUA) MUST still use G13 coolant.

Production Solution

G12Evo coolant has been introduced as the factory fill coolant in current production.
Service
G12Evo coolant is backwards compatible with all engine concepts, EXCEPT for the GEN III EA288 TDI (MY2015 2.0 TDI CVCA and CRUA).

Note:

When mixing G12Evo with G11, G12, G12+, G12++ or G13 the coolant becomes brown, this is normal and does NOT necessitate a coolant system drain and fill.

Yeah, I'm still draining it and starting with "empty" system so as to not mix different variants of VW coolant.

Jason

WanderTDI

TDI
2002 ALH Jetta
Thank you SilverGhost for posting that. It's people like you that help us keep our cars going so long.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
I drove my car back to work for the first time since going on leave... It's been a long 3 months. I don't miss the bs traffic and typical butt heads on the road in Portland.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Lol it’s not just Portland……