What did you do to your MKIV today?

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Anyone know any place that gots T6? I could sure use a gallon. I searched high and low online and I'm due for oil change. What's the next best choice ?
I don't know how your Advance Autos are, but one near me is ONLY place that has the 5w-40 T6 on shelf for about $33/gallon. I bought up cheaper T6 when I saw it late last year, even a 5 gallon pail for $130 that I got a $40 rebate on (y)... TDI related, started driving the Jetta daily, as the '15 will be going to dealer later this week for CEL and P2149 code. Filled the Jetta up with diesel, even though I was still a line above 1/2 full- Less pain...putting off resealing pump for now, just in case it doesn't go well and I don't wanna be down to zero vehicles....

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Seems like a lot of places are running out of oil right now. Just did a trans and engine fluid on my in laws Ford, they had literally just enough to do it, and I had to order 4 quarts of atf from another branch, and it was their last 4 quarts.

Fun times ahead.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
Seems like a lot of places are running out of oil right now. Just did a trans and engine fluid on my in laws Ford, they had literally just enough to do it, and I had to order 4 quarts of atf from another branch, and it was their last 4 quarts.

Fun times ahead.
The oil shortage, at least around here, has been about a year. O'Reilly's had these 6 gallons in stock, no one else I saw within 50 miles had any on hand. Not sure how this one particular store got it, as it wasn't even their main hub. Works for me though

J_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 1.9l “Jedi”
Well, it’s good timing with the warmer weather here now but kinda strange, the Jetta picked this past weekend to suddenly switch from the heater being stuck on hot all the time to being stuck on cold... which like I said isn’t so bad now that the weather is a bit warmer but I definitely need to figure this out. I know the lever on the air box that the hot/cold cable connects to has come off so maybe the flap in there just somehow switched over to cold? I will have to do some reading today.

hey_allen

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
What's the next best choice ?
I ended up going with STP full synthetic European Car oil that I picked up from AutoZone for my last oil change, since I couldn't find anything synthetic from the normal diesel oil product lines.

It wasn't in the "diesel" section of the oil racks and has no API spec for diesels, but the ACEA A3/B4 spec says it's diesel compatible under the European oil rating specs.
OilSpecifications.org:
ACEA A3/B4
Stable, stay-in-grade Engine Oil intended for use in Passenger Car & Light Duty Van Gasoline & DI Diesel Engines, but also suitable for applications described under A3/B3.

greenie101

TDI
2015 Jetta
I've been looking for oil for my 2015 Jetta TDI and the "VW" oil is scarce and/or expensive. I was looking at the STP EURO since AutoZone has that. Were you happy with it or has it not been in the car long enough to know? Thanks.

hey_allen

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
I've had it in my car for around 1500 miles now.
So far as I can tell it is running like any of the diesel specific oils, but I haven't been doing oil analysis so I can't give any hard quantitative answers.
It's starting just like a "normal" diesel oil of the same weight would start in cold weather, but that's not saying much.

greenie101

TDI
2015 Jetta
So far as I can tell it is running like any of the diesel specific oils, but I haven't been doing oil analysis so I can't give any hard quantitative answers.
It's starting just like a "normal" diesel oil of the same weight would start in cold weather, but that's not saying much.
Thanks for the info!

MukGyver

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD
What do you guys think of Rotella T5?Looking at the oil manufacturer info T5 and T6 look fairly similar as one would suspect.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Saturday I picked up an ALH engine and o2j transmission. Drove my Passat 6 hours to get it, and got 26mpg pulling my 5x10 trailer. The guy I got it from also threw in a set of Mk5 wheels for my Passat.
Then today I got in my order of stuff for my mk4, a turbo oil drain, serpentine belt and tensioner, and etc.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Well youngest daughter called early in the AM yesterday saying something wrong with car , alt light on and “ steering wheel” is “locked “ and burning smell, also said clutch didn’t feel right. Told her to call AAA and let me know where she is. Luckily she was only about 15 miles away.
Drove out to meet her and swap cars , as soon as I pulled in saw accessory belt dangling under the car. Figured alt seized or something along that line. Gave her my car and Waited for tow truck.
Got it home and put it up on ramps and to my surprise I found the belt tensioner wheel had seized….never saw that one before. I had a new spare installed with a new belt and at least that’s fixed…..
However when I took car for a spin I checked the clutch…….yep…..she’s slipping …….so now I’m waiting for all my parts to come today and and shortly going out side to go pull a transmission in the driveway 🙄🙄🙄.
If to original….then she got almost 300,xxx miles on it with 80,xxx by her.
Thank god it’s warm out for a couple of days…..

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
Well youngest daughter called early in the AM yesterday saying something wrong with car , alt light on and “ steering wheel” is “locked “ and burning smell, also said clutch didn’t feel right. Told her to call AAA and let me know where she is. Luckily she was only about 15 miles away.
Drove out to meet her and swap cars , as soon as I pulled in saw accessory belt dangling under the car. Figured alt seized or something along that line. Gave her my car and Waited for tow truck.
Got it home and put it up on ramps and to my surprise I found the belt tensioner wheel had seized….never saw that one before. I had a new spare installed with a new belt and at least that’s fixed…..
However when I took car for a spin I checked the clutch…….yep…..she’s slipping …….so now I’m waiting for all my parts to come today and and shortly going out side to go pull a transmission in the driveway 🙄🙄🙄.
If to original….then she got almost 300,xxx miles on it with 80,xxx by her.
Thank god it’s warm out for a couple of days…..
It's warm here, too. Shame I'll be leaving to Louisiana for a turn and burn trip tomorrow, when I could be working on my 2000 Golf. Went from 22 during the night to 85 during the day! Good luck on your transmission - I need to change CV axles and transmission flanges on my 2000 Golf.

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Installed the new rear shock mounts (forgot to order new when I did the suspension last Spring) and Whiteline RSB.

It's lovely not to have all the rattling and knocking that the old mounts allowed. But I am missing the plastic dome cap from one side; new mounts did not come with replacements.

The RSB is great. Install was quick and straightforward, and the clamps to the rear beam are much easier to use than what I remember the Nuespeed clamps were. I set it to medium as a starting point.

On the drive to work this morning, I immediately noticed the difference. Rather than leaning in the corners, the car just seemed to rotate along its arc nicely.

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
The last few days...
Done:
CV joints have new inner inner band clamps installed and extra grease
Transmission drained & refilled
New glow plug harness installed
All 4 glow plugs test good (only 40k-50k miles on them)
New crank sensor installed
New air filter
New cabin air filter
New fuel filter
Rear brakes flushed
Front bleeders rusted solid and I ain't messing with them
Diagnose rear brake light/turn signals
Band-aid driver seat cover
Fix paint chips
Two new tires due to nails in the sidewall
New Bosch Icons in the front and a Micro edge in the rear...

And THEN today the brake light switch failed... so I ordered from IDPARTS:
A new brake light switch
Akebono pads for the front
Zimmermann rotors for the front

Hyde7278

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GL
The last few days...
Done:
CV joints have new inner inner band clamps installed and extra grease
Transmission drained & refilled
New glow plug harness installed
All 4 glow plugs test good (only 40k-50k miles on them)
New crank sensor installed
New air filter
New cabin air filter
New fuel filter
Rear brakes flushed
Front bleeders rusted solid and I ain't messing with them
Diagnose rear brake light/turn signals
Band-aid driver seat cover
Fix paint chips
Two new tires due to nails in the sidewall
New Bosch Icons in the front and a Micro edge in the rear...

And THEN today the brake light switch failed... so I ordered from IDPARTS:
A new brake light switch
Akebono pads for the front
Zimmermann rotors for the front
If you have a torch you can’t get the bleaders red hot (don’t heat the caliper) and then use a water bottle and douse them with water (this will shock them) and they will break free. Then you can just get new bleaders and replace them. I’ve used this method many times and has never failed to get them out without them breaking

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Just finished installing new clutch 17-050 into daughters car…..still on jacks as I have to finish installing rh driveshaft and a repaired down pipe with cat…..hers looks like a broken flex pipe.

JackvasDeferens

TDI
2001 Jetta and 2002 Jetta both 5-speeds - both @burpod tuned
Started the rear trailing arm bushing replacement. I've read it's a nightmare removing them. Does anyone have pointers on getting them out? I'm replacing with Whiteline poly-bushings so it won't be as hard to get them out in another 330,000 mi.

J_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 1.9l “Jedi”
Temporarily installed my ScangaugeII last night! Still need to route the cable properly and calibrate the trip odo.
But that will be tomorrow, had to help move two pianos today, one grand and a small upright.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
Postponed my trip out of state an extra day. Besides doing other non-TDI related errands, I put in a nicer pair of R32 lights into my 2002 Golf, and the 2000 Golf got the old pair (passenger side has a broken tab and rear door with connector has a broken tab).

Before...

and after.

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
Started the rear trailing arm bushing replacement. I've read it's a nightmare removing them. Does anyone have pointers on getting them out? I'm replacing with Whiteline poly-bushings so it won't be as hard to get them out in another 330,000 mi.
Air hammer, and a bushing splitter chisel. Gets the job down to under a minute each with a wee bit o' practice.

Douglas

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Also looking at the same job, same replacement bushes.

I took the old ones out on my 02 GTi years ago, with axle off the car, and I don't remember it being terribly difficult using hand tools.

I want to try just dropping the front of the axle this time, but at the first hint of trouble I'll yank the whole thing.

My bolts are insterted from the inside (nuts on the outside), so I'll have to cut the one on the right since the gas tank will interfere with removal, and I want to preserve my rear alignment (meaning I don't want to remove the bracket).

Watch Michael Blacktree's (a member here) video of this job on YouTube. He also used Whitelines as replacements. I usually go to Exovscds for vids, but his on the rear bushes skips over removal of the bushes.

Wish I had air tools.....

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh

I took the old ones out on my 02 GTi years ago, with axle off the car, and I don't remember it being terribly difficult using hand tools.

I want to try just dropping the front of the axle this time, but at the first hint of trouble I'll yank the whole thing.

My bolts are insterted from the inside (nuts on the outside), so I'll have to cut the one on the right since the gas tank will interfere with removal, and I want to preserve my rear alignment (meaning I don't want to remove the bracket).

Watch Michael Blacktree's (a member here) video of this job on YouTube. He also used Whitelines as replacements. I usually go to Exovscds for vids, but his on the rear bushes skips over removal of the bushes.

I pulled the brackets from the body before and reinstalled them. The holes that are stamped in the bracket leave witness marks on the under body and it’s easy to align them back up

JackvasDeferens

TDI

Thank you for this information. I saw Michael's video and am going use it as my guide. I don't like the idea of cutting the brake line bracket like he does and will probably disconnect the brake line at the axle and bleed afterwards.

JackvasDeferens

TDI
Air hammer, and a bushing splitter chisel. Gets the job down to under a minute each with a wee bit o' practice.

Douglas
Thank you for this information. I've been wanting to get an air hammer... now's the time. Thanks again.

J_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 1.9l “Jedi”
Got my Scangauge all installed!! Cable all tucked up neat and tidy out of sight. And then I fixed the little lever arm for the hot/cold blend door so it can’t fall out ever again, had to do some fancy fabricating and standing on my head under the dash but I ended up with a little metal bracket that screws into the bottom of the heater box using three extra factory screw posts and has a little tab that keeps the blend door lever up in its socket.
Only trouble is I didn’t get time to paint it, and it’s a real pain to get the screws in and out