What did you do to your MKIV today?

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
I referenced my speedometer change with GPS. Going from 24.9" OD tire to 25.3" OD has my speedo ~ 1mph over actual
speed circa 65mph. Now the odometer is off a bit, and my actual FE is probably a bit better than calculated, but I'm not
fussed.

Lol, GMTA norbert! (Great Minds Think Alike) you're answering while I'm typeing. :)

J_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 1.9l “Jedi”
I haven’t owned a vehicle yet with an accurate speedometer, you just check it with the gps and go from there, it’s just a rough guideline anyway right? Haha

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
Odometers are the only thing that has been forced into something resembling accuracy.

Great minds run in like channels, all fools think alike... :) BIIIIIIG difference
TNSTAFL.
cheers,
Douglas

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
Never in my life have I bought proper size tires to just now, you can always use a GPS to figure out how much your speedometer is off and learn to live with it. Nothing like trying to figure out how far speedometer is off on a Chevy tracker with 35 inch tires

Changing your final gearing by increasing tire size is a cheap approach to lowering cruising rpm, but it has a negative effect on your FE.
Lowering the vehicle and doing a 5th swap with OEM size tires would allow you to still have all the grunt in 1-4 gears plus have low cruising rpm for the hwy cruise scenario. This would yield better FE overall and keep your cabin noise down.
By using cheap oversized setup with a larger OD and wider profile, you're adding weight, drag & robbing your vehicle of acceleration potential.

At the end of the day, it's whatever works for you... but for a "hwy mile muncher" you want to be slammed and to be at the lowest rpm where you still have sufficient power at your typical cruising speed in order to optimize FE.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
I used VCDS to play with the gear ratio correction value until I found one that made the speedo very close to GPS speed. Verified against mile markers and stop watch.

When you code the cluster one digit of coding is a correction value based on the transmission. In my case it changed my speed from 8mph slow to 0.5mph fast

Jason

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
I used VCDS to play with the gear ratio correction value until I found one that made the speedo very close to GPS speed. Verified against mile markers and stop watch.

When you code the cluster one digit of coding is a correction value based on the transmission. In my case it changed my speed from 8mph slow to 0.5mph fast

Jason
So where in VCDS was this? This was more like what I was getting at for fine tuning the cluster. As soon as you increase tire size, yeah, everything is going to be off. Speed, MPG, etc. Getting it back on track with VCDS would be nice. It's just numbers you can fake them into being right

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Too dark to see.

norbert77

Veteran Member
TDI
01 beetle
Odometers are the only thing that has been forced into something resembling accuracy.

Great minds run in like channels, all fools think alike... :) BIIIIIIG difference
TNSTAFL.
cheers,
Douglas
The remade mini coopers are off as much as 8%... Terrible. But warranty ends 8% faster so it's better for the company, not he customer... Which is why sometimes they honor warranty a bit over

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
What did I do - put the Ute's rebuilt full FIS cluster into the 2000 Golf, using @gmenounos 's software and the European dashdumpedit to make the transition fairly seamless. Also found that I still had to pair my key on an immo3 cluster on an immo2 car, but didn't have this problem on the other car (originally a 2003 Jetta).

Hammer modded my injection pump on the 2002 Golf to about 1.0-1.2, but for the purpose of getting 1.5V, as I've been testing out a new tune (that's not Malone). Also got my rheostat housing from IDparts, so I now have the levelers working on my R32 headlights I got. Love 'em, though I did have to reinsulate all the wires.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
I haven’t owned a vehicle yet with an accurate speedometer, you just check it with the gps and go from there, it’s just a rough guideline anyway right? Haha
Actually, there is a way to correct it. dashdumpedit and @gmenounos ' excellent kw1281test tool. Download the cluster EEPROM, and you can then get the speedometer pretty spot-on accurate. Mine is actually about 1-2mph-ish low, depending on the speed, but at lower speeds, it's spot-on.

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon
My speedo needle reads a bit high but scanguage and GPS speed are identical, and the odometer is accurate.

I'm not inclined to "correct" the speedometer because then the scanguage and odometer will be wrong.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Used my wagon as a truck again, grabbing more parts for the obs Ford I'm restoring for my in laws. Picked up a few spare clusters and window retulators, along with a step-right camper special rear bumper. Today's project was desoldering the EEPROM chip from one cluster to the other to maintain mileage.

One of these days my wagon won't be used as a truck as much.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
So where in VCDS was this? This was more like what I was getting at for fine tuning the cluster. As soon as you increase tire size, yeah, everything is going to be off. Speed, MPG, etc. Getting it back on track with VCDS would be nice. It's just numbers you can fake them into being right
Found these links to help;

from another thread here on TDI club link

and over at Ross Tech Link

I just changed the last digit of the coding until I found an impulse number correction that worked for me. Not totally random thou, I did look at which way the correction needed to be and change to corresponding impulse number. It's not a totally programmable solution that makes any size/gear change work, but rather choosing from several factory presets for find the one closest to what you need.

Jason

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
'01, '01, '03, ‘06 NB - TDIs all.
Figured out how to get the convenience turn signal mod installed on my 2006 bug. Trying to keep my vehicles consistent as my Subaru, chevy truck and 2001 bug has the convenience turn signal mod.
Have to dismantle the center dash including removal of radio as the hazard switch is mounted above the radio. At least the wiring is the same.

benmarks

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS Sedan Platinum Gray
Figured out how to get the convenience turn signal mod installed on my 2006 bug. Trying to keep my vehicles consistent as my Subaru, chevy truck and 2001 bug has the convenience turn signal mod.
Have to dismantle the center dash including removal of radio as the hazard switch is mounted above the radio. At least the wiring is the same.
Do you mean the Komfortblinker relay etc. where it blinks your turn signals 3 times every time?

hey_allen

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
I was wondering this as well.

I popped the hazard switch/turn signal relay out by pulling one of the blanks beside it and reaching in with one finger.

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
'01, '01, '03, ‘06 NB - TDIs all.
Do you mean the Komfortblinker relay etc. where it blinks your turn signals 3 times every time?
yes
Why did you need to remove the radio?
Because unlike the older beetle where the hazard switch is under the dash, the 2006 and later have the hazard switch mounted in the dash piece just above the a/c vents and this piece needs to be removed to access the wiring to the switch, hence the need to remove the radio to do this.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
Not just for my MK4, but for my truck, YZ250f, and Honda Fury as well.
This has been out of stock easily over the last year. I bought everything on the shelf haha:

benmarks

Veteran Member
TDI
Got the rear floorpan sealed so final assembly can begin soon re 4Motion. For anyone wondering about using Wurth products, I was pretty happy with the results. I will probably use the same stuff to seal the front 2/3 one I do some prep work re a few missing and/or rusted bung areas. The donor floor pan had been sandblasted, so it was already prepared:

J_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 1.9l “Jedi”
Just finished the second attempt at my ALH injection pump head seal, I cut the first o-ring when pulling the head back in. Surprised it didn’t leak any fuel as there was about a 2” cut on the oring... haha
Also discovered both my horns are dead, this car is going to nickel and dime me to an early grave 😂

WanderTDI

TDI
2002 ALH Jetta
Gave Stella a good bath yesterday and pulled her into the shop bay. She's getting a good bit of maintenance...

Rain x windshield ...
I used Rain-X Wiper fluid and it corroded my reservoir sensor. It beeped every time I started the car for a year. I've read several others have had this experience. I still use it to coat the windshield, just not in the reservoir. Not sure if that's what you meant, but I wanted to save you a potential headache.

As for what I did to the car: last winter I came out to find a big blue puddle under the car. I thought the reservoir had burst, but yesterday as I began the install of my new 5.5L reservoir I found the tube that runs underneath it had just come out. :rolleyes:

MukGyver

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD
Not just for my MK4, but for my truck, YZ250f, and Honda Fury as well.
This has been out of stock easily over the last year. I bought everything on the shelf haha:

Anyone know any place that gots T6? I could sure use a gallon. I searched high and low online and I'm due for oil change. What's the next best choice ?

benmarks

Veteran Member
TDI
I finally completed my TDI badge. To recap, I used an OEM "V6" grille insert. The letters peel off very easily. Then, I bought a TDI badge off of eBay. They're all-metal and have two screw standoff on the rear, so I had to grind them flat. I used 3M automotive VHB tape to attach the two parts. I don't have my car right now, so I can't take photos of the badge installed yet:

norbert77

Veteran Member
TDI
01 beetle
Anybody used beige truck bed liner to repaint old interior plastics? After scrapping off the soft touch?

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Fixed a coolant leak on a friend of my wife's car, the passenger side radiator fan rubbed a hole in the line that comes off the hard pipe to the surge tank.
Also found the drivers fan had completely snapped off the shaft, and it's just hanging out in the shroud. How the heck does that even happen..... Project for another day.