What did you do to your MKIV today?

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
they over-salt the roads wayyyy too much, at least around everywhere i've been.... horrible for the environment, horrible for cars..... sucks.
They are in league with car manufacturers……since they use garbage metal…..rusts out faster so must buy newer cars…..viscous cycle…..I’ve had two trucks less than 150,000 miles ……frames completely rotted out……funny thing is……it’s not really driven in the winter……. Used to move kids back and forth to college and HD runs…..

benmarks

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS Sedan Platinum Gray
Re 4Motion project, as of today the front is done and the rear suspension/Haldex assembly is rebuilt. However, there's still the minor task of cutting out my rear floor pan and welding in the donor floor pan ;)

These photos show in no particular order: TT control arms and spindles, R32 334mm brakes, new H&R 25mm sway bar, new H&R coilovers, new R32 steering rack, 034 Motorsports adjustable sway bars links (probably didn't need them but whatever,) new tie rods, donor newly-powder coated and rebuilt 4Motion axles, new R32 front subframe, 02M transmission with new Peloquin LSD new steel shifter forks,"rebuilt" shifter assembly (i.e. I replaced the stalk and bushings and bottom plate, and re-greased everything) and new H&R coilovers.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
Re 4Motion project, as of today the front is done and the rear suspension/Haldex assembly is rebuilt. However, there's still the minor task of cutting out my rear floor pan and welding in the donor floor pan ;)

These photos show in no particular order: TT control arms and spindles, R32 334mm brakes, new H&R 25mm sway bar, new H&R coilovers, new R32 steering rack, 034 Motorsports adjustable sway bars links (probably didn't need them but whatever,) new tie rods, donor newly-powder coated and rebuilt 4Motion axles, new R32 front subframe, 02M transmission with new Peloquin LSD new steel shifter forks,"rebuilt" shifter assembly (i.e. I replaced the stalk and bushings and bottom plate, and re-greased everything) and new H&R coilovers.

Wow awesome build man, that's great.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Man I’m jealous……. Nice work.

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Filled it up, $3.599 a gallon at Citgo. I was at 550 miles, with about an eighth showing on the gauge. I'm still sporting the vent, so she took 12.7 gallons, for 43.3 MPGs.

That's lower than my last tank (47), but it's been cold here with the polar vortex and all, and winterized diesel.

I also added 10 oz of Howe's Diesel Treat. That's about double the normal dose, but with temps getting to 0*F and below I thought it prudent (bottle also directs to double for better anti-gelling).

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Did my first ever timing belt on the BEW wagon, significantly easier than an ALH in my opinion. Now to tell my buddy to save up for a cam.... And detail the crud outta it.

Edit, was cleaning the upper timing belt cover while waiting for it to warm up to set torsion.... Timing belt last changed 96674 miles on 1/6/2012. Current miles 210167 talk about running it risky holy cow!

Last edited:

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
I drove mine to work. Had to file for a lost title a week ago, hopefully it comes in soon, then I'll be trading for a Tacoma.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
Did my first ever timing belt on the BEW wagon, significantly easier than an ALH in my opinion. Now to tell my buddy to save up for a cam.... And detail the crud outta it.

Edit, was cleaning the upper timing belt cover while waiting for it to warm up to set torsion.... Timing belt last changed 96674 miles on 1/6/2012. Current miles 210167 talk about running it risky holy cow!
Customer just brought in their 2006 BRM Jetta, 228,194 miles. Original owners and no record of t-belt or water pump. Owner insists they never did it. From the looks of the parts I would agree. Only mild wear on cam lobes of 1 cylinder. Did the t-belt kit and pump, and customer is saving up to come back for cam shaft and lifters.

Those PD timing belts are tough if taken care of.

Jason

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
What did I do? Bought a 2000 Beetle TDI as a project car. Supposedly has a blown head gasket on it.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
So I set out to p/u dinner, really cold, took two goes to get the Golf going. On the way back I think I lost the serpentine
belt, there was a but of hiccup and suddenly my power steering is no longer working and the battery light came on.
Made it home ok, though it took a fair bit of muscle to turn the wheel, motor sounds fine, and too damn cold as
night is settling in to even take a look. And no point in letting the food get cold, nothing much I can do in the frigid
conditions.

I'll give Dwayne, my guru, a ring Monday morning, should have a spare alternator kicking around in the basement,
if that's the problem. First time in the 6 years I've owned it that something let go on the road, made it home under
its own steam though!

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
That is a Revolti'n Development for sure. It will still be below Freezing, which IMO is borderline for such work... :)
cheers,
Douglas

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
We got about 2 feet of snow yesterday, a lot for coastal Massachusetts. Drove around today on a variety of snow covered roads with the Cross Climates. I was impressed. I have X-Ices on the Golf, so I have a good comparison, and I'd say the Cross Climates are nearly as good as the dedicated snows.

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
We got about 2 feet of snow yesterday, a lot for coastal Massachusetts. Drove around today on a variety of snow covered roads with the Cross Climates. I was impressed. I have X-Ices on the Golf, so I have a good comparison, and I'd say the Cross Climates are nearly as good as the dedicated snows.
I am not surprised. I like mine... :)

Douglas

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Moved the BEW wagon so I could change the oil on my wife's NMS TDI, found out it has zero throttle response at cold starts... Time to invest in cam/crank sensors.

hey_allen

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Just replaced #1 glow plug after getting a check engine light.
I measured 25M ohms on #1, while measuring 0.5-0.6 on the other three.
I was really suspecting that it'd be the bus bar which is has insulation crumbling, but it was the plug itself, this time.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Just fixed a coolant leak on the 2000 NB , leaking right at the clamp from bottom of coolant ball line to the hard line next to dip stick. I cut it back an inch and so far it’s good at temp and after shut down with block heater connected.

hey_allen

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Just fixed a coolant leak on the 2000 NB , leaking right at the clamp from bottom of coolant ball line to the hard line next to dip stick. I cut it back an inch and so far it’s good at temp and after shut down with block heater connected.
Congrats on an easy fix!

I'm actually trying to locate a very slow coolant leak in my Jetta.
I'd found one on the firewall at one of the heater core connections and replaced the o-ring there, as well as finding a nasty seal on the water pump. Now I'm still loosing a bit of coolant, to the tune of around a pint a month.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Check where the coolant comes out of the head , o ring under the flange gets brittle and breaks….. hard to see .
Also the coolant temp sensor is prone to leaking and remotely the o ring on the hard coolant pipe that runs under the IP to the block…..at least that’s where I’ve found them on our cars….

flan

Veteran Member
TDI
04 tdi jetta
Moved the BEW wagon so I could change the oil on my wife's NMS TDI, found out it has zero throttle response at cold starts... Time to invest in cam/crank sensors.
Mines been like that for sometimes up to 10 sec or so since I got it back in 2014. Never got any worse so I let it go.

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
So, all this discussion on Michelin Cross Climate's...Thanks for everyone's feedback/opinions.

I put a set on, they're smooth, however a bit noisy, especially in a curve/turn or on moderate/heavy breaking. Drive well, handle well, they do awesome in the snow/ice. Not quite as good as dedicated studded snow tires, but good enough that I'm not putting mine on this year. They're really good in the snow. Too soon to tell on how well they wear and expected life.

My biggest issue is the MPG hit...care to guess when the Cross Climate's were put on...

Nice!

I got my new Michelin Cross Climates mounted on Avus 1s and on the car. I only took a quick drive in the rain, but they feel nice. Very smooth, they appear to be round, and I think they're quiet. I'll know better when I drive them in the dry. I left the pressures a little on the high side as it's in the low 40s here today and it's supposed to get down to near 0F tomorrow night.

While my car was at Kraftwerke Chris also replaced the hose from the vacuum pump to booster. I was occasionally getting a hard pedal after the car sat for a while. I understand there's a one-way valve in that line that can fail with time. I have no idea how old the hose on my car is. Don't know if it fixed the problem. If it didn't I'll go about replacing all the vacuum lines.
Peter - I'm interested in your feedback on the Cross Climate's after you get some more miles on them. I put a set on this summer.
Not Peter, but I've had Cross Climate tires on my tuned TDI for a year now, and have to say I really like them.
Good grip on wet or dry pavement, and passable on snow as long as it's not packed down to a sheet of ice.

Not noisy, though possibly not as quiet as a purely touring tire might be.
I'm theoretically pushing 140hp and 240tq, and unless I get stupid with it, they've held traction everywhere I've gone, other than the couple weeks of snow and ice earlier this winter.
Another CrossClimate+ and 2 user. Got the + installed about 65k ago and will replace with 2's. Running 205/60-16 and the 2 was not out when I got the +. Put 2's on wife's Mazda3, and + on son's Jetta(195/65-15).
cheers,
Douglas

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I put mine on in early January

We're in full winter here, I've been driving shorter distances, and driving faster. My run to work is often at 85 MPH these days, which, along with the weather, accounts for the couple MPG drop in January. It honestly hasn't been enough of a change for me to notice. My Golf with X-Ices on it is getting similar FE.

But now that you've pointed it out, I'll keep an eye on FE.

ItAintRodKnock

Veteran Member
TDI
01GolfTDi
Well, Sunday I exploded my VNT15, Today after work I took it apart to see what I could see. Got one half removed, I'll leave the manifold/ other turbo half on the car til I dig deeper into all this.

Here is a link to some other persons turbo failure. The pictures are eerily similar to my turbo. Kindof mixed set of answers on how this happened. Can I hear some speculations from you guys? I have an "idea" that ill voice if nothing definitive comes out of you guys.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
What did I do... got my recently acquired 2000 Beetle to start. The dumb@$$ previous owner didn't time the pump, and it almost looks like he put on a used timing belt with original/replaced early in its lifetime tensioners/pulleys. I also found out the hard way how much oil comes out the end of the camshaft, where the vacuum pump goes (I kept it off just to crank, for four seconds).

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
pkhoury, at least your guy did the timing right. my '02 had its pump 180-degrees out. squirting on the spilt overlap. Not that I am complaining; the beast refusing to fire was why it got put for sale... :)
cheers,
Douglas