What did you do to your MKIV today?

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
I bought the car (my first diesel) in May, so no experience with the cold. The auto has drag at the torque converter that presents a load to the motor, so it warms up quicker than the manual. The coolant glow plugs not only add some heat to the coolant, but they also present a load to the alternator. That's why they are there, or so I understand. One user said working coolant gp's make the car warm up 30% quicker than without.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Reason autos didn’t have them was the cooling of the auto trans was done via a trans / coolant heat exchanger.
So the theory is the wasted heat from the trans was used to heat the coolant up faster especially in the cold and to cool the trans.

03TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
01' NB, 5spd
Have you checked to see how the vent actuator actually moves? Is it smooth or rachety as you pull vacuum and release it?
Also do you know at when the actuator starts and stops when you apply vacuum? 3-5 to start open and 18 fully open ( inches of vacuum on mityvac )
I didn't check that Steve but will when I get it up on ramps. I didn't start with the intent on doing all that I did but one thing led to another. When the day comes that I pull the turbo for the head gasket, I'll be cleaning the vanes too.

kennethsime

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon GL TDI 5-Speed Baltic Green
Ordered some wheel spacers from UroTuning to try to address the tire rub issue. If that doesn't work I'm going to just swap back to steelies until I get my suspension replaced.

Ordered the EGR Coolant Bypass kit from IDParts to try to address what I think is the source of my slow coolant leak, and also got some fun extras like rubber floor mats (my carpet mats are worn through), a new antenna mast, and some ID Parts stickers.

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
Ordered some wheel spacers from UroTuning to try to address the tire rub issue. If that doesn't work I'm going to just swap back to steelies until I get my suspension replaced.

Ordered the EGR Coolant Bypass kit from IDParts to try to address what I think is the source of my slow coolant leak, and also got some fun extras like rubber floor mats (my carpet mats are worn through), a new antenna mast, and some ID Parts stickers.
Hi

I'm getting some tire rub on my car too with my bigger tires...

How big were the spacers you ordered?

Anxiously waiting to see if it helps you....

Do you think lifting would help?

I thought about pounding in the areas that are rubbing but since our cars are unibody I'm not sure that's good structurally etc .... but then again I'm only rubbing a little bit so only a little denting needed....

I want to keep my big tires and maybe even go bigger next time around if it weren't for the rub.

Andrew

Last edited:

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Plugged in the borrowed VCDS.

Changed IQ from 3.4ish (forgot to write it down) to 4.3. I know it was in the normal range already, but was thinking the bump up (down) might improve FE a touch?

Also lowered the EGR duty cycle to the minimum. It was at the default setting. Just hoping to slow down any intake build-up.

kennethsime

Veteran Member
TDI
How big were the spacers you ordered?

Do you think lifting would help?
My situation is a little... less than ideal. Picked up some used 17" Long Beaches with tires I thought would fit perfect, but they're 10mm wider than stock (235/45R17). I think they're rubbing at the struts, because it's a consistent, deep groan. I may have some fender rub or wheel well rub when turning all the way.

I was trying to find 10mm spacers to account for this, but ECS was out of stock of pretty much everything. I found a "fender flush" kit from URO tuning that was discounted to $160 a bit compared to buying $200 worth of spacers and adapters. Will get here tomorrow, hopefully I can get them installed same-day and report back.

I want to lift the car significantly and replace these tires with some All-Terrains, so hoping to ride out these tires until I get around to redoing the whole suspension. I worry that the spacers will fix the strut rub but fender rub will get worse. If so, it's just back to steelies until I get the lift installed.

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
Had to install a new OEM front license plate bracket over the weekend - lost the one I had some time during my long run home from work through the remnants of Ida. Had to be then - had it come off under normal driving speeds, I'd have heard it clattering through under the car. That night was the only time I was going slow enough for it to have fallen off and not been heard.

Went to put the thing on this past Saturday, and found out why the old one popped off - the plastic of the bumper cover where the holes were drilled for the mount to snap into had apparently degraded a little, enlarging the holes, so there was no longer anything to snap into. I did go through one or two places where the water was high enough to press against the bumper as I drove through it, one of those must have flexed the thing just enough to deliver "the final insult" and jettison the bracket with my plate still firmly bolted to it.

Solved it with machine screws passed through the center of the "snaps" (with a small washer inside the recess), and a 1" washer and locknut on the inside. It's not coming off now, but I am thinking of cutting a piece of metal to create a "strap" between the two bolts for extra insurance. Having to get my plates "remanufactured" takes time and is a pain (alumni plates for my college), as is having to run different plates in the interim so I'm legal for the roads here in NJ.

So, important tip: if your state requires a front plate and you use the OEM "snap-on" bracket, keep a close eye on it or do what I did and reinforce the mounting to the bumper so you don't lose it, because with only a plastic-to-plastic snap fit, it WILL fail eventually!

Additionally, while I had the bumper cover off, I found the bulb receptacle on my passenger bumper marker light had broken off, and the driver side one had apparently had the wiring connector glued on, likely during some minor front end body work I had done many years back. Ordered a pair of those from ID and will install over the weekend.

TwinTurboKen

TDI
04 Jetta 5-spd TDI
Replaced the intake hose and retainer clip from intercooler to intake manifold. the lower barb on the hose was gone all together and it was barely staying in the manifold. Also replaced the air filter. It was looking pretty nasty. Should hopefully restore a little bit of power and fuel economy.

Diesel Fumes

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 alh tdi 5 speed
Replaced the intake hose and retainer clip from intercooler to intake manifold. the lower barb on the hose was gone all together and it was barely staying in the manifold. Also replaced the air filter. It was looking pretty nasty. Should hopefully restore a little bit of power and fuel economy.
Make sure to do the extra step (takes 2 minutes) and remove the snow screen or whatever they call it. It's basically where all the air comes in and every time I've ever gone in there to clean it, it's been severely restricted

kennethsime

Veteran Member
TDI
Make sure to do the extra step (takes 2 minutes) and remove the snow screen or whatever they call it. It's basically where all the air comes in and every time I've ever gone in there to clean it, it's been severely restricted
I forgot to do this when I changed my air filter last week. Will do this weekend when I have some time.

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
It doesn't hurt to change your gear oil, but I have always just used the cheapest full sythentic 75w90 from my local big box store without issue. I've only changed it twice, and neither time did it "fix" any hard shifting issues. What did fix my hard shifting issues was replacing the worn clutch, flywheel, pressure plate, shift fork, shift fork pivot, and throw out bearing. I have some really good pictures of the wear on all of these components in here: https://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php?threads/the-narfmobile-my-2001-golf-tdi.288316/post-5676865

If you're having trouble shifting into 1st and reverse my first question is, when does the clutch engauge/disengauge? If it is very close to the floor then likely the above components are worn and the clutch is dragging. Other than that I found that shifter bushings and shift cable alignment is really important to "getting" 1st gear and 5th gear.

Last edited:

kennethsime

Veteran Member
TDI
Got the spacers in today, they seem nice enough for being made in China. 12.5mm in the front, 20mm in the back. Had to take the car back to the tire place to have them break torque - I broke a socket adapter trying to break the torque they applied with their air tool.

The tire rub issue improved, but there is still a bit more noise than I'm used to. The tires are directional, and I've never had directional tires before - I think maybe it's just that? The plastic piece which sits between my wheel well and my engine bay was pretty shredded, so I trimmed it back and re-attached it (kind of).

Can't say I'm mad about the look - the wagon definitely has a bit more presence than it did just a week ago.

Installed my new rubber floor mats & antenna mast from IDParts, along with a few stickers - Diesel Fuel Only inside the fuel door, and a small green IDParts sticker on the driver-side cargo window.

The rubber floor mats, unfortunately, use the round clip - my car has the oval security clips. I think I could just cut a hole in the rubber mats, but I wonder if there is a kit to convert - will search the usual sites and report back.

Also did some re-coding with Kw1281...

Last edited:

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
If you find a kit, report back. My car has the round clips, but all my mats are broken, but are genuine vw emblemed mats and want to repair them.
I have the same rims on my car with stock spec size tires, and can confirm, zero rubbing stop to stop.

kennethsime

Veteran Member
TDI
If you find a kit, report back. My car has the round clips, but all my mats are broken, but are genuine vw emblemed mats and want to repair them.
I have the same rims on my car with stock spec size tires, and can confirm, zero rubbing stop to stop.
I ordered this oval set from Amazon, because I couldn't for the life of me find this set on ECS - my car uses oval clips. If your car uses round, I think these guys from ECS would do you right.

The issue is the guy I got my LBs from installed 235s instead of 225s. Not a huge difference, but big enough I think.

red16vdub

Veteran Member
TDI
03 JSW 5spd
Got the spacers in today, they seem nice enough for being made in China. 12.5mm in the front, 20mm in the back. Had to take the car back to the tire place to have them break torque - I broke a socket adapter trying to break the torque they applied with their air tool.

Ask the tire shop if the they have a 90ft/lb torque stick, if not have them tighten the bolts by hand. 89ft/lb is spec.
Imagine if you had a flat on the side of the road, that would’ve suck. It’s also possible that over torquing can lead to warped rotors. Just saying.

kennethsime

Veteran Member
TDI
Ask the tire shop if the they have a 90ft/lb torque stick, if not have them tighten the bolts by hand. 89ft/lb is spec.
Imagine if you had a flat on the side of the road, that would’ve suck. It’s also possible that over torquing can lead to warped rotors. Just saying.
Yea, I was pretty pissed when my socket adapter snapped. I had specifically asked the shop not to slam them with the air tool. I was using a 4' breaker bar because there was no way I was loosening those bolts with just a normal socket wrench. When I went back, the guy at the desk refused to break the torque for me. The shop manager caught me as I was heading back to my car cursing under my breath and offered to do it himself. I watched him break, and then re-torque to 100ft/lb because that's what I remembered.

I bought a nice torque wrench, a "soft touch" deep 17mm socket, and a wheel hanger bolt to make the job easier - first time using a wheel hanger and man what a difference!

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
I spent most of my early career watching techs use torque sticks. After too many issues, we stopped using them. Too many variables. Shop Air pressure, different power of air tools.... Just use a damn torque wrench.

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Exhaust broke right at the end of the cat, so that’s where it terminates for now.

I have a cool sound when I shift now—a “whoooo” in addition to the whistle of the turbo spooling. Kinda wish I could keep it.

kennethsime

Veteran Member
TDI
One of my employees picked up a Prius right at the start of COVID. Prius Cat theft is rampant here (as I'm sure it is everywhere), and the very next week his had been stolen.

He drove around like that for most of the past year and a half undisturbed - you could hear him from 6 blocks away. Last week he bought a new Civic.

kennethsime

Veteran Member
TDI
I forgot to do this when I changed my air filter last week. Will do this weekend when I have some time.
Discovered I in fact have no snow screen on my 2004 wagon. I was a bit surprised, and then found some supporting threads. Whoops!

I also discovered I'm missing one of the two 10mm bolts securing my air box. That one will take some research to replace.

RexNICO

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Tiguan, 2011 Q7

The tire rub issue improved, but there is still a bit more noise than I'm used to. The tires are directional, and I've never had directional tires before - I think maybe it's just that? The plastic piece which sits between my wheel well and my engine bay was pretty shredded, so I trimmed it back and re-attached it (kind of).

Can't say I'm mad about the look - the wagon definitely has a bit more presence than it did just a week ago.

Installed my new rubber floor mats & antenna mast from IDParts, along with a few stickers - Diesel Fuel Only inside the fuel door, and a small green IDParts sticker on the driver-side cargo window.

The rubber floor mats, unfortunately, use the round clip - my car has the oval security clips. I think I could just cut a hole in the rubber mats, but I wonder if there is a kit to convert - will search the usual sites and report back.

Might be a stupid question, but did you also get longer stud bolts? Or are you using the stock bolts with the spacer?

benmarks

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS Sedan Platinum Gray
I haven't bought one of these yet, but I discovered a new Skoda part that fits our cars perfectly. It's a door-mounted waste basket:

Here's a photo I found of it in a Jetta:

Last edited:

benmarks

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS Sedan Platinum Gray
And, here's another Skoda mod I found that should fit our cars. It's a modular system for hanging items off of the headrest:

There's are eBay sellers who offer a whole kit of the waste basket and the hangers.

kennethsime

Veteran Member
TDI
I haven't bought one of these yet, but I discovered a new Skoda part that fits our cars perfectly. It's a door-mounted waste basket:

Ok, I'm adding this to my list. Just the other day I was taking my car in without having eaten breakfast, and ate a banana on the drive. What to do with the banana peel? A trash can with a lid would be perfect!

kennethsime

Veteran Member
TDI
Put my new registration tags on my car. Here's the IDParts sticker from the other day. Need to order a TDIClub sticker too, and then I think I'll leave it at that.