What did you do to your MKIV today?

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
I’ve done the same with my son too…..it’s a good feeling to be able to pass that on. My sons been modding his car to his liking. He swears he’s never gonna get rid of the car. I got it for him when he turned 17….. he’s now 28 and has almost put 200,xxx miles on it since I got it for him.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Helped my dad put in new moog quick struts up front and bilstein shocks in the rear, along with new A arms. Easy peasy. Glad it's not 100°f+ out anymore.

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
Just finished changing out my fuel filter and air filter.

I also installed a filter minder

I tried sucking on the filter minder with my mouth and it takes an awful lot of suction to get the thing to move .... I wished they would have had a more sensitive filter reminder because my thinking is by the time the filter gets that bad it must be seemingly be sealed shut off almost alltogether.

I did go for a drive after changing my fuel filter and the car seems peppier.
(That was actually before changing out my air filter).

I had wondered if it was just psychological or not but I honestly think it does seem to run more powerfully and faster revving...

I had not changed the fuel filter for about 30k miles after starting to use a low percentage of biodiesel mix ...

I think I have read where you're supposed to change filters fairly frequently after switching over to partial biodiesel but I had not until just now .... it seems to run so much Freer with a good fuel filter in it I'm wondering if adding an electric fuel pump would make it feel even better?

Anyways hoping my fuel mileage goes up as a result of the air filter and fuel filter change.

Andrew

Figit090

Veteran Member
TDI
Lifted Unicorn! '03 Jetta GLS TDI Wagon, 5spd, Candy White, Black leather.
I pulled my wallet out today...and got a malone stage 3 with all the goodies like dynamic egr, idle and everything else.
I've been thinking about when I'm get mine I have a stock clutch and I doubt I could keep from flooring it between now and when I get the new one. 😣😆

Soon....

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Dropped my Golf (and picked up my Passat) at my guru's today for some random improvements:
  • Fix an infrequent ABS fault
  • Improve (maybe update) the sloppy shifter
  • New injector nozzles
  • Replace downpipe with a stainless one without a CAT
  • Fix some interior rattles
I also have what is probably one of the last remaining new in box 10mm injection pumps. If my guru thinks the pump in the car isn't delivering full fueling, he'll put that one in.

None of these changes are essential, but they will improve the car.

kennethsime

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon GL TDI 5-Speed Baltic Green
This weekend, I brought all my tires to 90% of max PSI and performed a ventectomy. 20k Service kit and headlight restoration kit are due to arrive Tuesday.

hey_allen

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
I don't know what kit you bought, but the 3M kit I bought was an overachiever.

It has far more sanding paper than I needed, as well as the final polishing compound.

That said, I was using a misting sprayer to keep rinsing the lenses clean between passes, so that may have kept the paper from clogging.

The kit I had didn't include any clear coat to protect from UV afterward, but there was some available on the car care section at a local Walmart. (That surprised me, but I was glad to find headlight clear coat instead of risking using a generic one on plastic.)

kennethsime

Veteran Member
TDI
I don't know what kit you bought, but the 3M kit I bought was an overachiever.

It has far more sanding paper than I needed, as well as the final polishing compound.

That said, I was using a misting sprayer to keep rinsing the lenses clean between passes, so that may have kept the paper from clogging.

The kit I had didn't include any clear coat to protect from UV afterward, but there was some available on the car care section at a local Walmart. (That surprised me, but I was glad to find headlight clear coat instead of risking using a generic one on plastic.)
I got the first 3M kit listed at Amazon. I'll be sure to follow your example and rinse between passes, that sounds like a great idea. Kit is supposed to come with clear coat, we'll see.

hey_allen

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
I got the first 3M kit listed at Amazon. I'll be sure to follow your example and rinse between passes, that sounds like a great idea. Kit is supposed to come with clear coat, we'll see.
Looks like a step up from what I was using.

These links both look like the rinse sprayer I was using, along with some distilled water that I had on hand for something else and figured couldn't hurt.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Just finished installing glass lenses and all front led on my golf that I clocked a deer with,. Need to do a couple of things to do and it’s back on the road.

kennethsime

Veteran Member
TDI
Applied my 3M headlight restoration kit. Wow! Pretty stoked. I didn't do a perfect job, but man are those lenses clear as ****.

Also received my 20k service kit, a can of diesel purge, a replacement lower grill insert (car came missing one), and new Valeo wipers all around.

Popped the grill insert in today, will do wipers tomorrow, and 20k service this weekend.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Applied my 3M headlight restoration kit. Wow! Pretty stoked. I didn't do a perfect job, but man are those lenses clear as ****.

Also received my 20k service kit, a can of diesel purge, a replacement lower grill insert (car came missing one), and new Valeo wipers all around.

Popped the grill insert in today, will do wipers tomorrow, and 20k service this weekend.
Zip tie those grill inserts (from behind), they pop out easily when you contact a parking bar. Coat the clean lenses with sunscreen every month or 2 (sounds crazy, I know).

dmitri15

TDI
2002 golf
Since I gained a little lift with aftermarket springs during suspension refresh (vr6 and wagon I imagine 🤷🏻‍♂️) I mounted up a set of 215/60r16.Pic

Last edited:

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
Zip tie those grill inserts (from behind), they pop out easily when you contact a parking bar. Coat the clean lenses with sunscreen every month or 2 (sounds crazy, I know).
Those restoration kits remove UV protection. They will never be the same unless you coat them properly after using one of the kits (a true UV clear coat from a body shop, etc). If you don't, you'll be re doing them every few months.

kennethsime

Veteran Member
TDI
Those restoration kits remove UV protection. They will never be the same unless you coat them properly after using one of the kits (a true UV clear coat from a body shop, etc). If you don't, you'll be re doing them every few months.
Good idea on the zip tie, and also the extra clear coat. I'll have to look into both!

Today I got a new remote from a shop in Berkeley that was recommended here on the forums. Great guy, he had VCDS and we read the codes as well (helped identify two electronic issues.

Together tried to identify whether or not we could use VCDS to enable remote window control - couldn't figure it out yet.

kennethsime

Veteran Member
TDI
Just finished installing glass lenses and all front led on my golf that I clocked a deer with,. Need to do a couple of things to do and it’s back on the road.
Would you mind sharing more info about your parts? I was looking at the glass Hella lenses at IDParts a year or so ago but looks like they're no longer available.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I got my parts at urotuning.com .
If your looking for your Jetta here is a link.

• Headlight Glass Lens Set | Mk4 Jetta
    (4 Reviews)
    ON SALE $99.99
    $74.99
    Starting at $14/mo with Affirm. Learn more

Part# HVWJ4HL-GD
    Default Title - $74.99
    Direct Ship
    This product will ship direct from our supplier. Availability is subject to suppliers stock.

QTY:

• Share:

kennethsime

Veteran Member
TDI
Did my 140k service today, which is my first major service on the wagon. It's been nearly 10 years since I've done anything this "advanced" to a car, but I'm happy to report I didn't forget too much (and the forums are just as helpful now as they were 10 years ago).
  • Air filter & Cabin Air Filter, vacuumed out the air box & an insane amount of leaves and debris from the cavity where the cabin air filter lives.
  • Ran a can of Diesel Purge.
  • Replaced the fuel filter
  • Drained the oil with my Pela 6000, and refilled with Total Ineo 5w30
  • Replaced the Oil Filter
  • Also vacuumed out the carpets etc.
I was pretty stoked the whole time, until the car wouldn't start - I neglected to prime the fuel pump. Was about to go crack an injector when I thought it was worth a google. Lucky for me, the 2004 has an in-tank fuel pump. A few cycles of the key, a couple of rough attempts to start, and it finally started up one the third try. Phew.

Took the car out for a spin a few miles up the interstate and back - just enough to warm up again and blow it out to 4krpm in each gear (video below). It's amazing what $100 in parts and a little elbow grease can do to make these cars feel like new again.

Here's a not-so-great photo of the DP setup. Note I'm not actually running it out of the DP bottle, that was there merely to support the clear tubing between the fuel tank lines. Glass Yerba Mate bottle is hidden under the shop towels.

Here's the dash cam heading back home on the interstate. Reddit link for audio.

gmenounos

Vendor
TDI
'99.5 Golf GLS, '01 Jetta GLX Wagon (TDI conversion)
After replacing the steering rack on the Golf a few weeks ago, one of the bolts attaching the Panzer Plate wouldn't tighten all the way and I assumed that the rivnut had come loose and was spinning. I ignored it for a while, figuring that 4 out of 5 points of attachment would be ok, but eventually the car started to make creaking noises when driven around town. Took off the plate and discovered that the RivNut threads were stripped. Cut off the outside of the rivnut with a Dremel and chisel and knocked the rest into the subframe. Installed a new RivNut and no more creaking.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Not a problem 😊

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Hey, thanks! That's really cool that it's just a lens set - makes it a lot more affordable than replacing the whole assembly.
Not a problem…..glad to help 😊

Judson

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Folks need your help with Midwest Light Creations headlights - HIDs... they're not working. Replaced all fuses, cleaned the contacts, but no joy. Popped off the cover and checked the connections, but all seems fine.

if it helps, my bet is that something is up with the ballasts.

edit: jeff is emailing me and we are diagnosing the issue. Very cool. Probably something I’m doing wrong, frankly.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

I also took off the panzer plate and checked the boost pipe. The last time it popped loose I put it back together with the permatex grey, and today I pulled and pushed and double-checked to make sure the pipe wouldn't come loose. Seems really solid.

Finally, unbolted and leaned back the driver's seat and sprayed contact cleaner on the connections underneath. Here's to hoping the side airbag intermittent connection error goes away for good.

Jud.

Last edited:

mk116v

TDI
2001 jetta tdi
I went to the "junkyard" and got a very low mileage Mahle vnt15 pencil sharpener today. $35. Now I just need the local parts store to quit being lazy and open up on Tuesday so I can install it. Along with a few other things to rejuvenate the old alh. BRM oil pump, windage tray (it was missing when I got the car), new cam and lifters.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It comes with clips , no roll sealer .
I just used clear good quality outdoor silicone clear sealer.
Put headlight assy into oven at the lowest temp it will go ( mine is 170 degrees ) wait about 10 minutes and the plastic lenses comes right off , while hot scrape out old sealant with a flat head screw driver .
After cleaning run a bead of sealant in the channel , install glass lenses, in stall clips , wipe off excess and let cure...... done!

Judson

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Folks - looks like my headlight issue is a connector issue. By dumb luck swapping in my old headlights I noticed one wouldn't come on. Wiggled the connector and it lit right up. Now, both connectors are having issues.

I've used contact cleaner, plenty of it, to clean out old dielectric grease that I thought might be causing the issue (because dielectric grease is an insulator - it just prevents corrosion).

So, who uses what to help this problem?

Update: I really want my car back on the road, so I just ordered this:

I will carefully brush it on each of the pins inside each of the headlights. I'm betting this will do the trick. Cross yer fingers.

Thanks!

Jud.

Last edited: