What did you do to your MKIV today?

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Usually the only failure on my rear brakes is the parking brake mechanism in the caliper starts binding , I tried a rebuild once…..wasn’t very happy with it.

hey_allen

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
I'm starting to see wear on the caliper slide rails, where the pads hook onto the calipers.
The slide pins move freely, but the pads backing plates have worn the caliper casting over time, so I'll probably be replacing the whole caliper next time I work on the brakes.

That said, I've noticed the rear brakes dragging with the parking brakes, but remedied it by adding the supplemental return springs that VW has listed on the parts illustrations.

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon
Rear open end of the cable is pointing up. Water can enter and work its way down the cable housing, where it rusts it all shut
Exactly, then add the downward loop under the axle beam to ensure the water accumulates in one spot - designed to fail.

I wonder if drilling a drain hole at the bottom of the loop would help...

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
I put multiple OEM park brake cables on my car - finally tried the Heavy Duty ones. Well worth the money. All of my parking brake issues went away with these.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
I'm starting to see wear on the caliper slide rails, where the pads hook onto the calipers.
The slide pins move freely, but the pads backing plates have worn the caliper casting over time, so I'll probably be replacing the whole caliper next time I work on the brakes.

That said, I've noticed the rear brakes dragging with the parking brakes, but remedied it by adding the supplemental return springs that VW has listed on the parts illustrations.
I sand/file this surface flat EVERY brake job(well, actually I have an abrasive pad on air powered die grinder). My thought is the pads will stick on the rough surface and divot causing drag and premature wear.

Never had issue with sticking parking brakes, but a few rusted out. I would pull the boot back and put grease in the boot and end of cable guide. Put the boot back on and "burp" any air out off the boot. Harder for water to get in past grease? May even help keep cable lubed if you can keep dirt/dust out.

Jason

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
I found that on mk4s, after a while whether you use the handbrake or not, the cables seize badly... A lot of times I thought my caliper was seized, but it was just the cable. Not sure why mk4 calipers/cables are so prone to seizing. The 20 year old accord has original cables and they work just fine, always release perfectly
My guru said cables usually seize in time after they start to "accordian" up (bending up like an accordian when parking brake set very hard) and the outer shell cracks letting in moistrue.... causing rust etc.

I hear there is a HD cable that may help prevent making the "accordian" situation but I think it somehow requires extra work to install.

I don't often use my parking brake on the level areas when I normally park but I do exercise the cable here and there to keep stuff freed up .... I don't often set the brake hard tho.

Andrew

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
I put multiple OEM park brake cables on my car - finally tried the Heavy Duty ones. Well worth the money. All of my parking brake issues went away with these.

HI,

I was told the HD cables may require some modding to be done to be used ? What needed to be done when using the HD cables VS the std ones?

Thanks

Andrew

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I think SilverGhost has the right idea. I'd had difficulty with the inside pad on my rear brakes wearing faster than the outside, although they were not dragging. I pulled the pads, wire brushed everything clean, installed new clips with some copper anti-seize on the edges of the pad backing, and they've worked fine since. And I can't recall the last time I replaced cables, it's been years. I think I've only replaced them once or twice since 2002.

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
HI,

I was told the HD cables may require some modding to be done to be used ? What needed to be done when using the HD cables VS the std ones?

Thanks

Andrew
No extra work that I recall - Only very minor issue is that they don't clip in to the little wire clips that hold them up near the rear control arm bushings. A little bending of the wire clip takes care of this (or do nothing, they stay up/out of the way enough on their own), or a zip tie.

Otherwise a direct R&R if I remember correctly

cdi320

Veteran Member
TDI
Cdi
The one time I bought cables from the dealer, they were the heavy duty ones and I just asked them for a set of cables, didn't specify heavy duty so they very well may have upgraded them at some point, maybe in the later gen mk4.5, but anyways. Cables are cables, on my current "beater" I just put some aftermarket ones I got while in Asia for 9 USD after conversion rate (yes, 9 bucks for a pair of cables), they should outlast the life of the car

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
My guru said cables usually seize in time after they start to "accordian" up (bending up like an accordian when parking brake set very hard) and the outer shell cracks letting in moistrue.... causing rust etc.
I'm not feeling this explanation, it's the cable not the shell under pressure when parking brake is set.

Diesel Fumes

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 alh tdi 5 speed
Filled up the Jetta today. Despite having a sticky brake I still calculated 48mpg driving 1 hour highway commutes. That's good enough for me. On par with all my other tdis for this drive. Speedo does read higher than you're actually going so probably more like 47

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
I'm not feeling this explanation, it's the cable not the shell under pressure when parking brake is set.
I had this happen on my golf's cables. The sheath does have pressure, as it's being compressed to pull the cable. If you look at them, you'll see it.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Used my key to roll up the windows with the lock, found out it closes my sunroof too! Didn't know that was a thing!

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I had this happen on my golf's cables. The sheath does have pressure, as it's being compressed to pull the cable. If you look at them, you'll see it.
When you lift the handle you pull on the cable, which moves the lever on the caliper at the other end of the cable. There is no pressure on the sheath, the cable moves freely inside it. If you look at a new cable, you'll see it.

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Went to pick up Mrs. Zak. Just a 12 minute ride. About half-way back, I noticed that the car felt sluggish, and if I let off the gas, the car would slow down a good bit more than normal. Smelled the brakes cooking.

When I got home, i jacked up the car. Left rear felt pretty warm, right rear was hot. I could get a half a revolution of “spin” on the left (has a new wheel bearing), and 1/4 on the right. Moved to the front, wheels were good n hot, and we’re not free to spin.

Did a little searching here, the went back out to the car, and pulled the brake pedal up. Seemed to pop a little? At least it moved a touch. Now the brakes are released.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
I’d install those helper springs on the parking brake cable on the rear calipers…..they seem to help.
Ive put them on all my cars.
Got mine from IDPARTS.

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
When you lift the handle you pull on the cable, which moves the lever on the caliper at the other end of the cable. There is no pressure on the sheath, the cable moves freely inside it. If you look at a new cable, you'll see it.
Try that with the sheath not fixed. So to say just plug the cable into the e-brake arm. All that lifting the handbrake is going to do is move the sheath towards the end of the cable. Sheath is under compression the exact same as the cable is in tension.
cheers,
Douglas

03TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
01' NB, 5spd
Went to pick up Mrs. Zak. Just a 12 minute ride. About half-way back, I noticed that the car felt sluggish, and if I let off the gas, the car would slow down a good bit more than normal. Smelled the brakes cooking.

When I got home, i jacked up the car. Left rear felt pretty warm, right rear was hot. I could get a half a revolution of “spin” on the left (has a new wheel bearing), and 1/4 on the right. Moved to the front, wheels were good n hot, and we’re not free to spin.

Did a little searching here, the went back out to the car, and pulled the brake pedal up. Seemed to pop a little? At least it moved a touch. Now the brakes are released.
that doesnt sound good. the pedal has to come up high enough to uncover the reservoir port so the lines can depressurize. wonder why yours isn't.

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
that doesnt sound good. the pedal has to come up high enough to uncover the reservoir port so the lines can depressurize. wonder why yours isn't.
It normally does. Drove daughter #2 and her husband to the airport this morning, and everything was fine. I read that the brake light switch can interfere with full pedal return. I’ll check it out later.

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
I’d install those helper springs on the parking brake cable on the rear calipers…..they seem to help.
Ive put them on all my cars.
Got mine from IDPARTS.
I will. The right rear parking brake lever (on the caliper of course) doesn’t return all the time, so I have been just keeping it in gear when parked. IIRC the B5 rear brakes came with that spring from the factory.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I’ve also had some luck using a silicone sprat on the out side at the lever to the caliper and working it to help free it up.

03TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
01' NB, 5spd
I washed the bug. Normally not a special thing but right now it is as I did it all with only one hand. Broke my left wrist almost 3 weeks ago during my horse riding lesson. Horse got too happy after a jump and started bucking, didn't feel bad and was sure I wasn't coming off but then did. (in retrospect I should have shut it down instead of thinking about what he was doing). Didn't hit the ground too hard but my left wrist was obviously broken. "impressively smashed' was the quote from the ortho surgeon. Thankfully he wasn't on vacation and got me into surgery the same week. Now comes recovery - and boy is my grip weak. Starting PT on Monday. Been driving the eGolf but going out today to see how I do with a stick shift

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
I’ve also had some luck using a silicone sprat on the out side at the lever to the caliper and working it to help free it up.
Doused the pivot of the lever with PB’Laster today. It was hot in the driveway, and I didn’t have a helper available to work the handbrake as I watched. Thinking I’ll reapply the blaster when I have a second body to see if the mechanism is freed up or not.

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I
Doused the pivot of the lever with PB’Laster today. It was hot in the driveway, and I didn’t have a helper available to work the handbrake as I watched. Thinking I’ll reapply the blaster when I have a second body to see if the mechanism is freed up or not.
It only takes a few minutes to remove the lever and dust cover which gives much better access for lubricating the shaft. There's usually a bunch of white aluminium powder in there, I clean that out with a dental pick.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I washed the bug. Normally not a special thing but right now it is as I did it all with only one hand. Broke my left wrist almost 3 weeks ago during my horse riding lesson. Horse got too happy after a jump and started bucking, didn't feel bad and was sure I wasn't coming off but then did. (in retrospect I should have shut it down instead of thinking about what he was doing). Didn't hit the ground too hard but my left wrist was obviously broken. "impressively smashed' was the quote from the ortho surgeon. Thankfully he wasn't on vacation and got me into surgery the same week. Now comes recovery - and boy is my grip weak. Starting PT on Monday. Been driving the eGolf but going out today to see how I do with a stick shift

OHHH DAMN !!!!!! Yeah PT is gonna be a bear……I had rotator cuff surgery before COVID hit. I was out of work for 6 months.
Wishing you a speedy and full recovery.

Last edited:

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,

Ouch! I've an accident or two on a horse before... They're great fun, unless they decide to buck or kick... As they say, the hardest thing about riding a horse is the ground, though I guess having one come down on top of you is even worse (I had that happen once... I still feel sore from that at times)
Hope you recover well!