What did you do to your MKIV today?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I have family in LA and haven't been out there in nearly two years. Longest time without a trip out there in decades. I'm dying to drive out, it would be fun to drive my MKIV on the freeways that I usually drive in a rental car.

MukGyver

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD
Along my 33 mile commute there is only one straight 3 mile stretch. It has become my favorite part of the commute. Feels so nice at 80mph! I just want to keep going but I have to turn off.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Pulled the engine out of my parts car, as well as the multi function steering wheel, lay flat vents and etc. Then scrapped the shell. It was kinda sad to do so, as it was rust free, but I had no title and many of the parts were gone. Now I'm selling a bunch of the parts

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Did the timing belt today. Only took 12 hours. 3+ was lost to not having the tensioner tool. I had thought snap ring pliers with the 90* bend would work, but no. Went all over looking for something applicable. Wound up using my long 90* bend needle nose pliers and managed to get the tensioner set.

Also changed the shock on the serp belt tensioner. Tensioner pulley made a little squeaking a little after I started it. Seemed to go away, but really I just need a whole new tensioner I guess.

Also, I had a rrrrrrr that sounded like the timing belt was too tight or there was a bad bearing (the reason for the change) and it still seems to be there. I know a new belt can make a little noise before it stretches a little and the tensions settles, so I’ll give it a few miles.

One more thing—the timing belt is pretty far inside on the IP pulley. Is that normal? Never done a diesel TB before (a few 1.8Ts, a 2.0, and a 1.8 on my old 84 GLi). It’s further in than the belt that I removed.

Mozambiquer

TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Did the timing belt today. Only took 12 hours. 3+ was lost to not having the tensioner tool. I had thought snap ring pliers with the 90* bend would work, but no. Went all over looking for something applicable. Wound up using my long 90* bend needle nose pliers and managed to get the tensioner set.

Also changed the shock on the serp belt tensioner. Tensioner pulley made a little squeaking a little after I started it. Seemed to go away, but really I just need a whole new tensioner I guess.

Also, I had a rrrrrrr that sounded like the timing belt was too tight or there was a bad bearing (the reason for the change) and it still seems to be there. I know a new belt can make a little noise before it stretches a little and the tensions settles, so I’ll give it a few miles.

One more thing—the timing belt is pretty far inside on the IP pulley. Is that normal? Never done a diesel TB before (a few 1.8Ts, a 2.0, and a 1.8 on my old 84 GLi). It’s further in than the belt that I removed.
Did you check the alternator clutch pulley while you were in there? That can cause both the squeaking and the rrrrrrr sound.

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
I did not. Sigh. But I did run the car with the serp belt off, and the rrrrrrrr sound persisted.

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Forgot to add that I accidentally buried the wires that run along the boost pipe from intercooler to egr. They are now kinda routed through the mount.

And I couldn’t get the small lower roller off the stud. It spun silent and well (TB job professionally done 40k ago when PO had it)

Last edited:

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
Put 200 miles on the Beetle this morning - went out to Claremont for a ham radio swap meet - first one for over a year. 118 to the 5, to the 210. Everyone was doing 80-85 the whole way, but this was at 6-7AM. On way back it was similar speeds but then I made the mistake of transitioning to the 101-N and things slowed way down - and it was 10am so things were getting crowded.

LOVE these Mk4's on the freeway. Comfortable and capable.
Do they still have the TRW swap meet? I believe it was last Saturday of the month, at IH-105 and IH-405, at the corner of Marine and Aviation. Used to buy a bunch of vintage computer stuff there years ago, but it started out as a HAM/amateur radio swap meet before I was born, anyways.

80-85 sounds right. No clue why CA doesn't raise the speed limit, since everyone speeds and there aren't enough state troopers to enforce it (most of them are doing 120 and up for no reason, anyways). Ha, last time I was there, I was doing 79 towing my trailer along IH-10. That was fun.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
I'm going to assume it's normal, because mine ended up doing the same, and I just changed my belt a week ago.

03TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
01' NB, 5spd
Do they still have the TRW swap meet? I believe it was last Saturday of the month, at IH-105 and IH-405, at the corner of Marine and Aviation. Used to buy a bunch of vintage computer stuff there years ago, but it started out as a HAM/amateur radio swap meet before I was born, anyways.
Not yet - hopefully they'll resume soon. I've been going to a few local club swap meets but they've been disappointing - never realized we had these bigger ones with good stuff for sale. https://w6trw.com/w6trw-amateur-radio-club-swap-meet/

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
Not yet - hopefully they'll resume soon. I've been going to a few local club swap meets but they've been disappointing - never realized we had these bigger ones with good stuff for sale. https://w6trw.com/w6trw-amateur-radio-club-swap-meet/
I was right - they started the swap meet a year before I was born. And snazzy - they have a website now. Another fun one was ACP in Santa Ana, but it ended up being a planning nightmare. A friend of mine is the one who picked up the rights to run the ACP swap meet, and I don't remember if he discontinued it or not.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
not having the tensioner tool. I had thought snap ring pliers with the 90* bend would work, but no. Went all over looking for something applicable. Wound up using my long 90* bend needle nose pliers and managed to get the tensioner set.
Park Tool Co. (bicycle tools) makes a pin spanner tool that I've used to set the tensioner a few times (can't remember if I use the green one or red one; they have different-sized pins on them) - not as solid as the proper tool, but does the job and is available at most bike shops for ~$10.

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Park Tool Co. (bicycle tools) makes a pin spanner tool that I've used to set the tensioner a few times (can't remember if I use the green one or red one; they have different-sized pins on them) - not as solid as the proper tool, but does the job and is available at most bike shops for ~$10.
With hindsight, I would’ve bought or borrowed the proper spanner. That and the long reach cam lock are the two required tools. (Even though I did make do without the spanner.)

I like the long reach cam bar because it saves the work of removing the valve cover. Only case I see that as necessary is if the timing belt had broke or you knew the timing was disturbed some other way.

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
The summer Michigan Antique Radio Club meet is cancelled this year. Have to look up the AARL site again; they list their HamFests/Swap meets there. I have what any sane person would consider plenty of tubes, but some good Iron would be nice. With the TDI, travel is always inexpensive/easy...Dayton also cancelled this year.
cheers,
Douglas

Mozambiquer

TDI

Mozambiquer

TDI

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Mozam……..that bottom picture is for a pd/bew engine , not an alh. Tensioner is different I believe.

03TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
01' NB, 5spd
With the TDI, travel is always inexpensive/easy...Dayton also cancelled this year.
cheers,
Douglas
Exactly why I had to get another TDI. On a whim, I want to be able to go out and get a Craigslist deal, or pick up an online order that would otherwise cost a fortune to ship, even if it's 120 miles away. I can't do that with the eGolf. Bought a bunch of metal from OnlineMetals a couple of months ago. 8' aluminum square tubing and rods. Shipping would have been a few hundred due to the length. 84 miles one way? No problem.

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
Exactly why I had to get another TDI. On a whim, I want to be able to go out and get a Craigslist deal, or pick up an online order that would otherwise cost a fortune to ship, even if it's 120 miles away. I can't do that with the eGolf. Bought a bunch of metal from OnlineMetals a couple of months ago. 8' aluminum square tubing and rods. Shipping would have been a few hundred due to the length. 84 miles one way? No problem.
Glad the topic came up; I checked ARRL and found the Monroe event was on. Scored a sleeve of NOS 6CD6GA for a couple bux. Also a few 866's. The BEW to the rescue!
cheers,
Douglas

Judson

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Got my center vent console back in. Yay! Also replaced the air filter which was way overdue. Cleaned and treated the interior and installed my new expensive Lloyd floormats.

Got a quote to repair the rust at the fender/front door area. Not a lot there in terms of rust but was quoted $4,500!!! Yikes.

turbodieseldyke

Veteran Member
TDI
98 jetta
never realized we had these bigger ones with good stuff for sale.
I hope you're not referring to TRW as "the good one". That place has really gone downhill hard over the years. Last time I went, vendor spaces were at least half empty, and most were "not-ham-radio-guys" who buy pallets of returned usb cables from bestbuy, and just dump the crap on a tarp.

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
If the Sachs are more harsh than your old FSDs the FSDs were really done. I have OE Sachs on my '99.5 Golf which is a lighter car, and they're almost too soft. Softer than the Reds (also new) on my Wagon.
The old FSD Fronts you can move a couple inches each way with practically no resistance (just seal drag), but after a couple cycles they firm up. The rears which I did this weekend still extended on their own and felt like the new ones that I was putting in.

Regarding what I did to my mkiv today...
- Rear shocks
- Rear ABS Tone Ring
- Rear ABS Sensor which was destroyed by previous tone ring growing due to rust
- Drivers front window clip replacement
- Drilled out a twisted off rotor screw and re-tapped then installed new rotor screws
- Balanced tires
- Installed left front fender liner
- Lubricated front brake slider pins

Looked at doing the rear control arm bushings and quickly decided I didn't have enough spare parts for everything that needs to come apart to be able to get it back on the road again so left that for another time.

To put on the rear ABS tone ring, the bearing is essentially broken when removed which seems a bit pointless. It's an original rear bearing with 350k miles on it so it doesn't owe me anything, but will likely need to be replaced in the future as I'm sure the seal isn't sealing like it used to anymore. When I pulled the rear caliper off to do the ABS sensor/tone ring one of the brake pads dropped it's friction material off :(. So frustrated with brake pad manufacturers that can't seem to make a brake pad that will last more than 20k miles before all the friction material falls off. It still had the protrusions where it sits in the steel backing plate so I re-assembled it and it seems to be working fine, but it'll shoot out someday. Grrrr

Found one of the axle boots has a nice thumb sized hole in it that wasn't there a few weeks ago when I had the whole front end apart, so get to do most of that work over again.

Made another list of all the rest of the things that need to be ordered/done to get this thing ready for another 100k+ miles

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Went to swap the valve body on my neighbors 02 tdi, the one that I sold to a friend then she bought. Dropped the pan and decided to just put it back up. Don't look forward to swapping my spare in.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
The summer Michigan Antique Radio Club meet is cancelled this year. Have to look up the AARL site again; they list their HamFests/Swap meets there. I have what any sane person would consider plenty of tubes, but some good Iron would be nice. With the TDI, travel is always inexpensive/easy...Dayton also cancelled this year.
cheers,
Douglas
Thanks for reminding me of a non-TDI affair - I got a small box of vacuum tubes I need to put up on ebay!
I hope you're not referring to TRW as "the good one". That place has really gone downhill hard over the years. Last time I went, vendor spaces were at least half empty, and most were "not-ham-radio-guys" who buy pallets of returned usb cables from bestbuy, and just dump the crap on a tarp.
Yeah, sadly, that's been the case even when I last went hmm, about 7 or 8 years ago. I remember the days when I scored things like memory testers, vintage ThinkPads (that I used to run VDS-Pro before @gmenounos came up with a better solution), and UNIX workstations. But yeah, now it's just junk like returned vacuums, blenders, and Worst Buy/Fry's/Short Circuit crap.

sriracha

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon 5mt, 1982 Rabbit truck (gas)
Yesterday, I replaced the turn signal stalk and fixed the finicky turn signal clicking noise, after a year of random clicks. Can’t wait to not get triggered by the turn signal.

gmenounos

Vendor
TDI
'99.5 Golf GLS, '01 Jetta GLX Wagon (TDI conversion)
Fixed the blend doors on the wagon. Used the 3D-printed plugs instead of tape or foam. Unfortunately that didn't fix the weak AC so the next step will be replacing the RCV in the compressor.
Well, took another look with the manifold gauges, read some more forums posts, and concluded that the readings were more reflective of being low on refrigerant. Added maybe 14oz of R134a and got things up to normal pressure. Sprayed some Big Blu leak detector on various fittings and didn't spot any bubbles. AC worked well yesterday and today so must be a small leak. Going to buy a leak detector to try to find it.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Trouble shot my daughters 2000 NB for several issues… first no a/c, blows hot air , no lh brake light , drivers window slow to go up and reverses, rear hatch won’t stay unlocked when button pulled and finally thumping when stepping on the brakes…..

The no a/c. ended up being a couple of issues ,
first …..no fans with ac switch on, speed on #1 and key to on position, checked for voltage at the compressor with engine running and had 10 volts . Next I checked the ohms on the compressor clutch 3-5 ohms….

Started with Dans trouble shooting guide and found a broken wire at the rad temp switch. Had to pull battery , battery tray , air box and move the power steering reservoir and block heater to the side..
I had to remove the FCM because the connectors wouldn’t come off and I need slack to solder a wire to the 1/2 of wire left at the connector. Dans test proved that the fans now worked in slow an fast position when jumped out .
All fuses and connectors work as advertised. Reassembled everything removed and still no fans….. hooked up my a/c pressure gauges and was only reading 30 psi on both high and low…. as soon as I added some Freon the fans came on ( car not running ).
I started car and continued to add Freon till I had 35 on low side and 180-190 on high side ( didn’t have scale to weight in Freon ) . Duct temp was 35 degrees…..sweet.

Just a note I didn’t think a low Freon charge would not allow the fans not to come on when just testing the fans out….lesson learned.

Blown lh light , replaced all’s good.

Lh brake was at the rivets and disc was missing some sections , found lower sliding pin was seized and the grease was bone dry, cleaned and regressed both pins and replaced disc and installed new brakes.
Rh side looked to be good but replaced everything with new and also repacked the sliding pins with fresh grease.

Installed helper springs on both sides for the e-brake system, the do help.

Also drivers window slow to go up to the point where it reverse and goes back down….lubed with silicone spray and slides nice now.

Adjusted hatch spring out a full turn , now hatch stays unlocked when you activate the button.

I think thats it😳