What did you do to your MKIV today?

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Since there aren't any replacement KP39s available until September as far as I know, (The B-W, not the VNT-17, was OE), I'd go with the VNT-17. It's plug and play, but you'll have to replace the lower EGR cooler pipe to fit the different turbo/manifold. If your car is tuned I'd also suggest a re-tune. More N75 duty cycle helps the 17 respond better at low revs, as it's a larger turbo than stock so a bit slower to spool with stock tuning.
I was looking at your site and trying to figure out exactly what else I'd need besides EGR cooler pipe. Once they tell me the diagnosis, I'll get back to you.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
Nuje,
RexNICO, who kindly sent me the console, he graciously refused payment other than to suggest a donation here to Fred
and tdiclub, has warned me that I may need an angled Ebrake handle. Any tips or links to a "how-to" installation guide
would be appreciated. The plastic is a bit brittle, and will have to be treated with care to get it into place. Once in I'm sure it'll be fine. Essentially it appears to have 2 front side mounting screws, and 2 in the rear. Took me a while to figure out how to access those rear holes.
I'll be keeping the functional in dash holder, but as some have commented, it's not a very robust or secure position for any cup of substantive capacity.

Siracha,
I've done a bit of research on the wire removal tool, looks like a modified hairpin or tweezers will do it. I'll bet my guru has the radio removal blades. If I run out of things to do around the house, (like that'll ever happen!) honey-do list goes on forever, let alone dealing with a house who had the renovation done in 1852, lol, the original back of the house is probably around 1750. Console first but.

Cheers gents!

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
I have that in my car and my Contigo travel coffee mug and ThermoFlask (16oz) water bottle both fit in there perfectly. The rubber/silicone around the bottom of both of those prevent any rattle or vibration. One of the first mods i ever do on a Mk4 i own. (Mine's tan as well - thanks to @mr.loops for sourcing that for me; can't see the cup-holder in the photo below, but you get the gist)
I really like that interior! Very classy!

MukGyver

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD
I cleaned my manifold and the egr valve which i think i broke it. The shaft inside egr doeant move anymore?
The egr shaft should not move by hand so it is most likely just fine. It's held to a servo motor that keeps it in place until the ecu tells it to move. If anything did get messed up it will throw a code at you within a handful of miles. So dont worry unless it gives you one.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
I haven't done this yet so I know it's premature, but I'm excited to get this H&R anti-sway bar put on. Hoping it makes a difference. Currently it does rocks side to side pretty good on my s-turns drive to work daily.

Looks a little thin, but it could just be my depth perception on this photo, since it's not close up. How thick is it?
I have a 28mm Neuspeed on both cars (mk6 JSW and my mk4 Golf). Combined with something similar to Bilstein B6/B8, you'll love how the car feels, though it's nothing compared to the feel on the JSW.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
What did I do today... ditched the 10mm IP for the 11mm that came from my wrecked car. All I can say is holy s#!t it makes a difference, even with IQ dialed back to 5.0. Fuel economy with the AC on full blast was decent, given that I got to really see the car accelerate. Honestly, the 10mm pump wasn't even fun, and maybe it's the placebo affect, but I feel like my injector balance numbers were stranger with the 10mm...

Also timed the IP while I was at it, just between dead on and too advanced. Ha, first time I adjusted it tonight, I got right on the dot dead center. Too bad I wasn't gonna keep it there!

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
Nuje,
RexNICO, who kindly sent me the console, he graciously refused payment other than to suggest a donation here to Fred
and tdiclub, has warned me that I may need an angled Ebrake handle. Any tips or links to a "how-to" installation guide
would be appreciated. The plastic is a bit brittle, and will have to be treated with care to get it into place. Once in I'm sure it'll be fine. Essentially it appears to have 2 front side mounting screws, and 2 in the rear. Took me a while to figure out how to access those rear holes.
I'll be keeping the functional in dash holder, but as some have commented, it's not a very robust or secure position for any cup of substantive capacity.
When you go to put the new one in, bend the old handle to fit. It'll become glaringly obvious once you get into it.

sriracha

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon 5mt, 1982 Rabbit truck (gas)
" bend the old handle to fit "

Thanks JD! Was wondering if something like that was possible.
Also, when installing old plastic, I like to reinforce some of the weak mounting locations with JB Weld.

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Missed my MkIV this morning.

Had to drive the Suburban to work (transporting a lot of field day stuff for the kids in my class). It felt so bloated and bouncy in every way. Didn't realize how quickly (in three weeks) I readjusted to the fahrvergnuegen and manual tranny.

03TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
01' NB, 5spd
What did I do today... ditched the 10mm IP for the 11mm that came from my wrecked car. All I can say is holy s#!t it makes a difference, even with IQ dialed back to 5.0. Fuel economy with the AC on full blast was decent, given that I got to really see the car accelerate.
PKhoury,
What is the MPG hit for going from a 10mm pump to 11mm pump? And does this affect boost pressures? (like will it tend to overboost more?).

I'm tempted to go from 10mm to 11mm for the performance, but I'm spoiled by 50mpg.

Thanks!

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
"I like to reinforce some of the weak mounting locations with JB Weld."

OOOhhh, another good tip, I did recently get some quick set epoxy off ebay. Mix in some Cabosil and wood flour to give it some thixotropy, (thicken the mix to reduce sagging tendencies).

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
PKhoury,
What is the MPG hit for going from a 10mm pump to 11mm pump? And does this affect boost pressures? (like will it tend to overboost more?).

I'm tempted to go from 10mm to 11mm for the performance, but I'm spoiled by 50mpg.

Thanks!
Generally no MPG hit if driven the same. I'm getting low 50's with my conglomeration (11mm, R520's, (both with >200k miles on them) 18:1 compression, Stage II cam, twins, etc.)

If your setup is already "marginally stable" with boost control (have some overshoot), the more fuel from an 11mm (without a tune) can amplify the overshoot. If you're "stable" (no overshoot), the 11mm will have less of an effect on the overshoot.

As with any significant modification - YMMV and a confirmation of all systems operating correctly is assumed before and after the modification.

03TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
01' NB, 5spd
03TDI,
You can't have it both ways in my opinion. Power needs fuel.
Understood, except I read folks that get much bigger nozzles, but with tuning and setting their pop pressures higher (?), they have lots of power, and even better fuel economy. I get that I'll have to keep my foot out of it to get good MPG, but I wonder what the hit would be.

MukGyver

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD
I've had a Shine bar in my Wagon since 2004. When I drive my Golf I'm always struck by how much heavier the steering feels in that car and how well the Wagon with the bar changes direction. Can be a little dicey in the snow, however. I've spun it a couple times. But the internal rear bar adds much more roll stiffness than the external bar.
I got the H&R bar on last night. It made a substantial difference on the roll. not tossing back and forth nearly as it was, but I still need shocks. I can tell they are quite tired. Do I need to replace springs as well, or can I go with the stock springs? I was hoping to keep the ride height about where it is.

MukGyver

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD
Thanks Fix, I forgot it would just be springs for the rears. I'm sure they are pretty tired. What are the options for decent struts and shocks that don't break the bank? I'm familiar with the top recommended brands but I'm more eager to look at something that will do the job for commuting, at a lower price (if there is anything).
Rear springs are super easy to change, no other effects (no alignment needed, etc) and relatively inexpensive. If you're happy with them and they're not broken - no need to change them in my opinion.

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
I just put the Sachs ones in the front from IDParts, will do the rears this weekend. If you don't spring for the wagon rears, they're an economical option. The front's are more harsh than the 180k mile Koni FSD's that I took out. TBD on the rears.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
My take on mods and FE is this, if you drive it like a granny, sure, you'll get good mpg. But then why spend all that money on the mods? Leave it stock with a mild tune and motor on. Like using the power?, cruising at 80?, towing?,
then you'll use more fuel to get there quicker. Depends on your bang vs buck needs, or desires, driving style, etc etc.
As is often stated here, it's your right foot that determines FE more than any other single factor.
Your Mileage WILL Vary

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I just put the Sachs ones in the front from IDParts, will do the rears this weekend. The front's are more harsh than the 180k mile Koni FSD's that I took out.
If the Sachs are more harsh than your old FSDs the FSDs were really done. I have OE Sachs on my '99.5 Golf which is a lighter car, and they're almost too soft. Softer than the Reds (also new) on my Wagon.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
PKhoury,

Thanks!
I can't imagine it would have any affect on boost pressures, at least not directly anyways, since that's more a function of the turbo and the wastegate working properly.

You're also in CA, so you're probably not doing 75-80 on the highway (our posted speed limits where I live are 65-75). That said, if you want a more peppy ride, I'd say go for it, but if you're happy with the power you're at right now, I'd stick with your 10mm pump.

I need to do some more real-world tests to see what the mpg hit is with my 11mm, now that I got everything dialed in the way I like it. I got 39mpg on my last tank, but I've also had the AC on all the time (90-101 degrees, 40-80% humidity).
My take on mods and FE is this, if you drive it like a granny, sure, you'll get good mpg. But then why spend all that money on the mods? Leave it stock with a mild tune and motor on. Like using the power?, cruising at 80?, towing?,
then you'll use more fuel to get there quicker. Depends on your bang vs buck needs, or desires, driving style, etc etc.
As is often stated here, it's your right foot that determines FE more than any other single factor.
Your Mileage WILL Vary
I already know for a fact my right foot is heavy, not so much with just the phrase "a heavy foot", but just in general. Trying to get to 1575 to do that screenshot was a pain in the ass. Anyways, I do like a fun acceleration at times and I do tow, so now I see where I need that 11mm pump (the 10mm works with towing, but I feel like I'm driving a bloated GMC 6.5L).

03TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
01' NB, 5spd
You're also in CA, so you're probably not doing 75-80 on the highway (our posted speed limits where I live are 65-75). That said, if you want a more peppy ride, I'd say go for it, but if you're happy with the power you're at right now, I'd stick with your 10mm pump.
Thanks! Mon-Fri the freeway speeds are generally not that, but weekends and in less gridlocked areas, it's definitely 80. I hate driving my eGolf as it's governed to 85 - hard to stay in the pack.

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
The additional FE mileage comes from bigger injectors getting more fuel in more quickly; shorter and thus effectively earlier injection. Or so it looks to me anyway. To the expensive PD injector re-noozling job: I curse you...LOL
cheers,
Douglas

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
PK et al,
Frankly I like the zip, and as I've said, I do NOT drive for FE. What other vehicle on the road can average, in my case,
~40mpg, and give me a similar level of performance? Any gasser that comes close is running what? 20-25mpg? Our first experience towing the camper, I was complaining in the campground about only getting high 20's pushing 70 in the hills of WV.
The guy looked at me a little funny, and allowed as he was lucky to get 10mpg. I shut up after that.

MukGyver

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD
Looks a little thin, but it could just be my depth perception on this photo, since it's not close up. How thick is it?
I have a 28mm Neuspeed on both cars (mk6 JSW and my mk4 Golf). Combined with something similar to Bilstein B6/B8, you'll love how the car feels, though it's nothing compared to the feel on the JSW.
Pk its 25mm, so you were spot on with your depth perception. The difference is satisfyingly considerable. Nothing like my Eclipse I once had that was lowered with off camber set tires that slammed my kidneys into the door, but at least I'm not feeling like I'm riding on my sidewalls around the slightest off camber corner now. 😌

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
PK et al,
Frankly I like the zip, and as I've said, I do NOT drive for FE. What other vehicle on the road can average, in my case,
~40mpg, and give me a similar level of performance? Any gasser that comes close is running what? 20-25mpg? Our first experience towing the camper, I was complaining in the campground about only getting high 20's pushing 70 in the hills of WV.
The guy looked at me a little funny, and allowed as he was lucky to get 10mpg. I shut up after that.
Good to know I'm not the only one who gets mid-high 20s while towing. I have yet to test it out in this car. I did some towing locally (Home Depot and back) and got about 22-23, but with my potentially iffy 10mm IP (that's no longer in the car) and my old camshaft. Nobody locally really says anything about me towing with my TDI. They've seen my F-450, and I think everyone knows that I know what the hell I'm doing when towing. Cracks me up when someone, using a more capable tow vehicle, can't properly tie down their load or balance their trailer. ;-)

Thanks! Mon-Fri the freeway speeds are generally not that, but weekends and in less gridlocked areas, it's definitely 80. I hate driving my eGolf as it's governed to 85 - hard to stay in the pack.
Given how the flow of traffic on IH-10 is between 80 and 95, I'd hate that. Bet I won't see an e-Golf on SH-130 ever. It's a toll road here in South Central Texas that also boasts the fastest legal speed limit in the US - 85mph. I usually keep cruise control at 93, though I once paced at 120mph for almost 40 miles in a Cadillac XTS rental, along with an Audi R8, Lamborghini Gallardo, Porsche 911, Nissan Juke R, and some other luxury sport car. That was a fun day!

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
PK,
You'll appreciate the 11mm. Pak is right about larger nozzles and efficiency, especially if the springs/pop pressures are dialed up a bit. But overall I wouldn't expect any appreciable FE, just a much more pleasurable power band with extra grunt. I've been tempted by a Franko6 cam, let us know how it feels under load.
Cheers!

03TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
01' NB, 5spd
Given how the flow of traffic on IH-10 is between 80 and 95, I'd hate that. Bet I won't see an e-Golf on SH-130 ever. It's a toll road here in South Central Texas that also boasts the fastest legal speed limit in the US - 85mph. I usually keep cruise control at 93, though I once paced at 120mph for almost 40 miles in a Cadillac XTS rental, along with an Audi R8, Lamborghini Gallardo, Porsche 911, Nissan Juke R, and some other luxury sport car. That was a fun day!
Put 200 miles on the Beetle this morning - went out to Claremont for a ham radio swap meet - first one for over a year. 118 to the 5, to the 210. Everyone was doing 80-85 the whole way, but this was at 6-7AM. On way back it was similar speeds but then I made the mistake of transitioning to the 101-N and things slowed way down - and it was 10am so things were getting crowded.

LOVE these Mk4's on the freeway. Comfortable and capable.