What did you do to your MKIV today?

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
"Followed an Audi SQ8 on the way home and ran up to 95 MPH"

LOL! Only a $100k vehicle, vs an elderly ALH. Who's getting better bang for their buck ehhhhh. :)

turbodieseldyke

Veteran Member
TDI
98 jetta
Lucky you. The closest dealer to me charges more than MSRP.
Nearest VW dealer had a White guy and a hispanic guy at the parts counter. The White guy would quote MSRP. The hispanic would quote +20% or something. In person, over the phone, same result for both guys. Been going to the Audi dealer instead for years.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
I drove my golf to the shop to build a Civic engine with my brother in law. I had to jump start it as I haven't been driving it much lately. Its got a leaking head gasket, and Frank is doing a head for it, but it's gotta get driven once in a while to keep it working well.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Went for a drive up to NH this morning and saw this:

Annual mileage has dropped some in the last 15 months but I'm still averaging about 22.5K/year since new.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
link to mod? My eGolf and Mazda 3 have it and I've caught myself a few times thinking my Beetle has that function.
Part number 000998229A - picked mine up from idparts. Be prepared for some skinned knuckles and fingers from reaching around a bunch of plastic edges. Done in ~45minutes; works great.

03TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
01' NB, 5spd
Part number 000998229A - picked mine up from idparts. Be prepared for some skinned knuckles and fingers from reaching around a bunch of plastic edges. Done in ~45minutes; works great.
I wonder if it's easier on the beetle. The emergency switch/blinker assembly is easy to get to as it's housed in a separate housing tacked on the bottom of the center dashboard. I'll get the kit on order.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Any way to see the instructions before ordering?

03TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
01' NB, 5spd
Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I have this mod on both my MKIVs. And my BMW and GSW came with the same feature. I don't like it when I'm in a car without it. It's one of the better small mods I've done to my cars.

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Only drawback to this mod is if you accidentally hit the turn signal--it keeps going, and you're busted. As is, it would just be one quick flash.

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
No doubt. 'Please fill in the spot I was about to move over into' is about what that works out to in Michigan...LOL

Douglas

hey_allen

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
I chased down an engine noise that I was trying to identify for a while, which turned out to be a leaking injector flame shield/crush washer.
The #3 injector nozzle seal hadn't seated correctly, and was allowing combustion gasses to exit the chamber, as well as unburned fuel.
Once the head was cleaned and the injector crush washers replaced, the noise went away, as well as a slight loss of power at lower RPMs.

The annoying part about this whole thing was that while I could hear the noise faintly from inside the car, I couldn't hear anything over the engine noise when the hood was open, making it difficult to locate what was causing the noise.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
I had a spare grill sitting in my garage from an old wrecked Jetta so I decided to paint it black. Not bad for spray can paint job. Now I can switch back and forth from gray to black.

Stay with the grill of color. :)
I've used ultra flat paint myself.
Stealth operations. o_O

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
Oil change at 430K on IBW. 140K on this engine. I always drain the pan because I like to get under the car and see if anything odd is going on. Nope, and it was bone dry under there.

Went up to IDParts because a local shop owner wanted to pick up some drums of oil we'd ordered for him. Followed an Audi SQ8 on the way home and ran up to 95 MPH for a bit. Still feels rock solid at those speeds.
Ha, your high speed sounds like @Franko6 . Apparently, he's quite the speed demon as well.

And what did I do today? Installed my new @Franko6 stage 2 camshaft. Throttle response seems better, and fuel economy improved, as well as response over 3000 RPM.

Last edited:

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
Lucky you. The closest dealer to me charges more than MSRP.
Sounds like the dealer I go to... unless I just buy stuff under my friend's business, but then I gotta give him his 15% markup. We have three dealers in SA, and ALL THREE charge different prices for parts!

03TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
01' NB, 5spd
Sounds like the dealer I go to... unless I just buy stuff under my friend's business, but then I gotta give him his 15% markup. We have three dealers in SA, and ALL THREE charge different prices for parts!
FWIW, I just bought that Comfort Blinker kit from my dealer. Their online price was 20% off. Another VW dealer much further south in Ontario was 26% off. The dealer in Los Angeles where I bought my eGolf - 0% off.

Picked up the clutch release arm and pivot ball from my local dealer, 40% off MSRP. Just got injector clamp bolts and injector copper washers there too.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
FWIW, I just bought that Comfort Blinker kit from my dealer. Their online price was 20% off. Another VW dealer much further south in Ontario was 26% off. The dealer in Los Angeles where I bought my eGolf - 0% off.

Picked up the clutch release arm and pivot ball from my local dealer, 40% off MSRP. Just got injector clamp bolts and injector copper washers there too.
Now I'm curious which dealers. I've been to the VW dealership in Ontario before. I'm trying to remember the name of that dealership. Was the one in LA called VW of DTLA? I bought my first TDI from them. I also found it ironic that the service manager was gone around the time I was about done with my lemon law suit against VWoA (specifically because of that stealership).

Whenever I'm in So Cal, I prefer Bozzani in Covina. They've always treated me good, though I can't attest to their parts prices.

03TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
01' NB, 5spd
Now I'm curious which dealers. I've been to the VW dealership in Ontario before. I'm trying to remember the name of that dealership. Was the one in LA called VW of DTLA? I bought my first TDI from them. I also found it ironic that the service manager was gone around the time I was about done with my lemon law suit against VWoA (specifically because of that stealership).

Whenever I'm in So Cal, I prefer Bozzani in Covina. They've always treated me good, though I can't attest to their parts prices.
Yes, VW in Ontario is 'Ontario Volkswagen', and yes the DTLA is the other one. That's were I bought my eGolf - they said yes to what I wanted to pay and didn't try and upsell me. Well actually the finance guy tried.

I just go to parts.vw.com and pick other dealers to see what their online prices are. No online discount for Bozzani for the clutch arm or pivot ball.

My dealer is Ventura VW. Darn near everything I need though they have to order. So easy ordering online though.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
"Throttle response seems better, and fuel economy improved, as well as response over 3000 RPM. "

PK,
I know you do some towing, let us know if you find a difference with performance under load.
Cheers!
R*2

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
Yes, VW in Ontario is 'Ontario Volkswagen', and yes the DTLA is the other one. That's were I bought my eGolf - they said yes to what I wanted to pay and didn't try and upsell me. Well actually the finance guy tried.

I just go to parts.vw.com and pick other dealers to see what their online prices are. No online discount for Bozzani for the clutch arm or pivot ball.

My dealer is Ventura VW. Darn near everything I need though they have to order. So easy ordering online though.
I always wondered who's still at VW of DTLA. My uncle was the GM of the Audi portion, so I got special financing on my car, even without an 800 FICO. I did NOT get along with the service manager at all (he was a real prick)., and a high majority of the salespeople and those in service were Lebanese (my uncle is Lebanese, and the dealer and its affiliated dealers are owned by a Lebanese family called Shammas). Just some random trivia there.

Here in Texas, North Park VW is closest, but Alamo Heights VW has the friendliest parts counter (or used to, before this guy with a thick Lousiaiana Cajun accent retired), and Ancira VW is where I go for getting windows tinted. North Park does a s#!t job doing window tinting, and are expensive.

Oh, and not to be a smart ass, but if you ever need things like the clutch pivot ball or arm, IDparts carries all that stuff. That's what I've usually done. Or things like cap bolts my harmonic balancer. The dealer was going to take a few days (needed bolts for my 2003, and dieselgeek only includes bolts for the 2002 and below), so I just went to Lowe's and problem solved, for A LOT cheaper.

"Throttle response seems better, and fuel economy improved, as well as response over 3000 RPM. "

PK,
I know you do some towing, let us know if you find a difference with performance under load.
Cheers!
R*2
I haven't done any towing yet. I'll probably postpone that until my first full tank of driving without a trailer. I can say that the car felt like my BEW before I got Frank's cam while towing - I didn't feel all of my power potential was there. After he rebuilt the head and I got new lifters/valves/etc, it was a night and day difference.