What did you do to your MKIV today?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Speaking of things disappearing and being hard to find ....
Are there any good sources for upgraded pipes ( upper and lower) going to and from the smic ?
I've been having a hard time finding anything along those lines .... I think I saw some old posts where you guys used to carry the upper and lowers?
We still sell the upper pipe: https://www.idparts.com/upgraded-upper-intercooler-pipe-alh-p-1228.html
However, we no longer sell the lower pipe because the turbo exit hose we used to have custom made was for the larger turbo outlet on the 17/22, and those are NLA.
You could look into a 1.8T lower pipe. I believe that's larger.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB

gmenounos

Vendor
TDI
'99.5 Golf GLS, '01 Jetta GLX Wagon (TDI conversion)
I am the slowest mechanic in the world. Finally installed these along with "new" brake calipers (purchased July 2016), Koni struts and Suplex springs (both purchased March 2019). Discovered that the 288mm rotors I bought in July 2016 are actually 280mm so had to buy the correct ones.

Also put new rotors and pads on the rear wheels. Now that my in-laws are fully vaccinated, planning on a road trip to Atlanta next weekend to visit them for the first time since December 2019. Trying to ensure that we make it all the way there and back in our 22-year-old TDI.
Trip to Atlanta was successful and uneventful other than running out of fuel once (engine cut out going up a hill but coasted over the top and it caught on the downside and was able to make it to the exit. Took a lot of cranking to get it to start after refueling). Got pretty disappointing mpg on the trip (41-43) despite 4 brand new calipers/carriers (so no dragging brakes). I do have a roof rack/fairing (but nothing on it for this trip) and 16" wheels, but it's a 5-speed and I was doing right around the speed limit (65-70) almost all of the time. Relatively new injectors installed by Drivbiwire, stage 3 tune by Malone, all new vacuum hoses. It would be great to get 700+ miles/tank on a long road trip like this, but I've never been able to.

Last edited:

Adamant1977

TDI
2002 jetta 1.9l was auto now manual
Oh boy what a day.... Helped @Adamant1977 get his BEW wagon running after finding a matched ecm/cluster, changed the oil in my wagon, and changed the oil and matched an extra key to a friend of my wife's wagon. Long day.
@Nero Morg is a rockstar! Today I pushed my BEW wagon onto a trailer and towed it on a hope and a prayer a couple hours south. I watch and learned as Nero patiently worked through the issues with my ecm and cluster issues, helped me locate replacements, installed and programmed.
I DROVE my wagon off the trailer into the garage!!!

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
1. Ordered a replacement driver's door latch on Friday from IDParts, expecting to find it on the porch when I get home from work later. Got the triple-square bit I need for the job over the weekend, this coming weekend should be door latch and oil change.
2. Ordered (based on a post around here somewhere that says they fit) set of Weathertech liners for an '02 NB, they are arriving today too.
3. Delivery of my DSP Blend Door Plug set should be any day now. Not quite ready to do the work yet, but I like this method better than wrestling with applying tape inside that box...

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
1. Ordered a replacement driver's door latch on Friday from IDParts, expecting to find it on the porch when I get home from work later. Got the triple-square bit I need for the job over the weekend, this coming weekend should be door latch and oil change.
2. Ordered (based on a post around here somewhere that says they fit) set of Weathertech liners for an '02 NB, they are arriving today too.
3. Delivery of my DSP Blend Door Plug set should be any day now. Not quite ready to do the work yet, but I like this method better than wrestling with applying tape inside that box...
Watch the video done by The Humble Mechanic for pulling your dash. He explains it VERY well. Pulling the dash was intimidating but now that I've done one, I wouldn't hesitate to do another. Get the Victor Reinz material DSP recommends too, it worked great.

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
Now I find there is a Way without tape. It was not so bad, and my son's ALH went from nothing to bake ya. He was quite pleased( and dropped some more blood into the altar scuffing his paws up putting in the tape ).

His has a nice body, I can see myself taking it as a hand-me-down if he can avoid bending it...I put the miles on my BEW, and am about to pass him in terms of overall accumulation. Or maybe he will run her into the ground himself and go hunting another...LOL
cheers,
Douglas

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
What did I do today... that extended into another day. Spent damn near 12 hours on my Golf. Put on a replacement subframe, finished up my suspension/steering component replacement (but forgot band clamps on one of my tie rod boots), installed my .240 Wuzetem injectors, installed my new darkside SMIC, installed my downpipe and replaced the shifter with my short shift, took the car for a short spin (realizing I can get up to 60mph on the way to the alignment store, but it wasn't a comfortable ride).

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
Watch the video done by The Humble Mechanic for pulling your dash. He explains it VERY well. Pulling the dash was intimidating but now that I've done one, I wouldn't hesitate to do another. Get the Victor Reinz material DSP recommends too, it worked great.
I had been planning to follow the writeup here, but I'll review that one when the time comes to do the job. Will also see about getting a tube of the VR stuff as well.

Thanks for the tips.

gmenounos

Vendor
TDI
'99.5 Golf GLS, '01 Jetta GLX Wagon (TDI conversion)
Trip to Atlanta was successful and uneventful other than running out of fuel once (engine cut out going up a hill but coasted over the top and it caught on the downside and was able to make it to the exit. Took a lot of cranking to get it to start after refueling). Got pretty disappointing mpg on the trip (41-43) despite 4 brand new calipers/carriers (so no dragging brakes). I do have a roof rack/fairing (but nothing on it for this trip) and 16" wheels, but it's a 5-speed and I was doing right around the speed limit (65-70) almost all of the time. Relatively new injectors installed by Drivbiwire, stage 3 tune by Malone, all new vacuum hoses. It would be great to get 700+ miles/tank on a long road trip like this, but I've never been able to.
Forgot to mention: Didn't see a single Golf/Jetta/Beetle TDI during the entire trip. :(
Did see a TDI Audi SUV, a TDI Touareg and this:
Land Rover Tdi.jpg

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Forgot to mention: Didn't see a single Golf/Jetta/Beetle TDI during the entire trip. :(
Did see a TDI Audi SUV, a TDI Touareg and this:
View attachment 116827
You don't see too many defender pickups over this side of the pond... I wonder where it's from.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
The great thing about tdi's. I had to do absolutely nothing, AGAIN, to mine today.:LOL:
Lucky you. That would be the case for me if my Golf wasn't wrecked several weeks ago. I got everything perfect, and it didn't need anything done to it. Its replacement will get there eventually...

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Not today, but Sunday, I added Optilube summer to a full fuel tank, and here I am today noticing my exhaust is clearing up and I seem to have better throttle response. Dang hope it stays that way.

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
Liners fit perfectly, as expected (though I think they need to "air out" a little - interior smelled a little funny last night when I mounted up to drive home), left the windows/sunroof cracked today when I got to the office to try and facilitate that. I even took pics and contacted Weathertech to let them know they could update their website to that effect, the Customer Service fellow I spoke with was forwarding them to the "design team".

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
Started a replacement of some polyurethane rear LCA bushings. Took about 45 mins to get both arms out. Today TT's went in, and tonight the LCA's go back in. When the arms first went in when the brakes/spindles got upgraded to 288's I set the ball joints all the way out. Should be no issue to set it back up exactly as it originally went together and I'll avoid the alignment( err...toe adjustment ).
cheers,
Douglas

MukGyver

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD
Lucky you. That would be the case for me if my Golf wasn't wrecked several weeks ago. I got everything perfect, and it didn't need anything done to it. Its replacement will get there eventually...
Man so sorry to hear that pkhoury. The shoe can drop at any time I know. It's good to be thankful when all is good with the car. Wish you the best on the replacement.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
Man so sorry to hear that pkhoury. The shoe can drop at any time I know. It's good to be thankful when all is good with the car. Wish you the best on the replacement.
Thanks @MukGyver. Like the wrecked car, I flew out one way to CA to buy this replacement. So far, I only have my clutch, LSD (once @alphaseinor helps me swap the gear train to another 02J case), timing belt, stereo amplifier (as crappy as the Monsoon supposedly is, it worked great on my previous setup), and front headlights with fogs (on order, along with some glass lenses). Oh, and my tow bar. I pulled that and my lighting controller off the wrecked car earlier, so depending on the weather, I might install that this weekend.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
Not today, but Sunday, I added Optilube summer to a full fuel tank, and here I am today noticing my exhaust is clearing up and I seem to have better throttle response. Dang hope it stays that way.
I wish I had a bigger fuel tank here (like 1000 gallons, instead of the 90 gallon aluminum transfer tank I sometimes use). Then, I'd buy in bulk and put in the appropriate amount of Optilube XPD.

MukGyver

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD
I wish I had a bigger fuel tank here (like 1000 gallons, instead of the 90 gallon aluminum transfer tank I sometimes use). Then, I'd buy in bulk and put in the appropriate amount of Optilube XPD.

Nero Morg said
How does diesel kleen compare to Optilube? I've been using dk for several tanks and it definitely runs a little smoother and stronger with it. fairly inexpensive too but cost isn't necessarily the main objective when it comes to this kind of value added.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
You don't see too many defender pickups over this side of the pond... I wonder where it's from.
Looks to be LH drive. Lots of Landrovers in AU, but the word from the outback was if you really got out there, the only vehicles that could really take it were the Toyota landcruiser diesels. Put a grille guard on Judy's new Tacoma TRD, its a real truck.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
I wish I could find the link again... But I read an article about a year ago, someone took a ball bearing and slid it back and forth a bunch on a steel plate with different fuel addatives submerging it. Optilube provided the best antifriction.

MukGyver

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD
Mukgyver,
Strictly anectodal here, but I've just started using the Optilube, running better with more power. I'm a believer.
Thanks for the testimonial. I'm getting down to the end of the diesel kleen and plan to try it. I like these fuel additives. It's one of the few things you can do and actually feel that the engine likes it. 🙂

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
Drove to DE and picked up a set of my beloved Generals, see sig below. With a $70 factory rebate and $40 off from Tirerack for p/u, no state sales tax, ~$70@. 3+ hours and <$10 of fuel, ya' gotta' love it! Still got some miles left on the current set, but they won't make it through the summer.

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
I got a comparable deal on Michelin Cross Climate+ for my son's car, at $87 each delivered. Those puppers work quite well IME. I have about 55k on mine and plan to replace at end of summer for the upcoming MI snow season. Whilst at the LCA bushing replacement, installed a vented RHS fender liner I got from IDParts.

Douglas

Last edited:

MukGyver

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD
Can anyone tell me if I have the correct ACDelco friction modified synchromesh . The part number on the bottle is 10-4014. but the oil looks aweful thin for gear oil.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
Doug,
I don't get anything like that kind of mileage out of my Generals, 35-40k is the max, but they are soft and soooo sticky.
Great in the wet, good enough with the LSD in snow for around here.

MukGyver

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD
Is this the right stuff ? . Looks pretty thin for gear oil. just want to be sure before changing out the oil tomorrow. thanks