What did you do to your MKIV today?

MukGyver

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD
Thanks! They look better in person that in the photo above. I agree, they do look nice, they are rather comfortable and the bolsters are supportive. I like the leather D-shaped headrests, from a Snap Orange Beetle. The original cloth seats are noticeably lighter than the leather Beetle seats. Both are mechanical seats. I'm probably going to just write this up as a loss and stick with the original cloth seats.
Yeah the D headrests are nice with the color accent in it. Wouldn't mind finding some myself. I prefer cloth to leather out here west where it gets hot since i dont have a/c seats like some do.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Replaced my sons forward exhaust system on his 2000 golf , pipe broke clean off just after the cat......while I was at it I fixed the other two forward down pipes I had that were laying around.
Found his boost issue as his top boost pipe, the 90 degree elbow into the ASV is split...... now to try and find one......

sriracha

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon 5mt, 1982 Rabbit truck (gas)
I received the 20k service kit, from idparts the other day. Performed the 20k service today, in my driveway. The air filter and cabin filter were noticeably dirty.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
I got a core head to take to @Franko6 to get ported and checked over. it'll probably need a few valves, as the engine out was from skipped a couple of teeth on the timing belt. I'll have to post some photos of the lifters on that one... Shows why just replacing the timing belt after a timing event isn't a good idea, since it really shattered the lifter tops and jammed the lifter pistons onto the tops of the valves. I now see why it's common to have a valve drop into the cylinder after a timing event, since the little pistons were pushing down on the valve retainers

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Not me, but my son picked up some wood (he makes furniture) with his '02 Golf. The seller laughed at him when he saw the car.

Joke's on him.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
Looks like some Ash, excellent furniture wood. One of my saws is an old pro Mac 650. It doesn’t rev very high but it’s got a lot of torque, feels like a four stroke

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Ash and a little birch. Someone gave him the saw, they couldn't get it started. Works fine now.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
First, needed to replace the bent turbocharger mount with the correct one. Then the real fun was getting the correct parts to do the turbo oil return line. $117 at a discount for a <bleep>ing return line with 2 swaged ends on a very short piece of hose? Really VW? Greedy bleepers. I ended up getting the genuine OEM fitting that goes into the block, but if anyone gives me grief for buying a chinesium return line, you can just go play in the traffic.
Wish you'd posted a WTB looking for a turbo oil return / drain line; I must have at least 3 of 'em sitting in the garage.

Mozambiquer

TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Ash and a little birch. Someone gave him the saw, they couldn't get it started. Works fine now.
I got a pallet of 10 of those saws once for $2 at an auction. Fixed 5 of them up and used them for a while, then realized why they weren't being used anymore... I got a brand new stihl chainsaw and sold those ones for $40 a piece at a flea market, which went like hot cakes.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Yesterday I reset the I.Q. to 6.5 from 4.5 I am running an old Stage 3 tune set up for .205 nozzles and I have .216's and rescaled for a 3bar MAP sensor. She still peaks at 24PSI, but WOT is a little too hazy for my liking. I will post after today's errands are run.
EDIT: There is no haze I can see, and there does not seem to be any power lost. Time to start another FE log.

Last edited:

Mozambiquer

TDI
New timing belt and components on my sister's car. We had understood that it had been done last year, but come to find out, the previous owner was talking about the serpentine belt... This one was the original belt from 2003 with 189k miles on it! Belt still looked great, but the idlers had started making some noise, so we checked into the huge pile of receipts and found that there was in fact no record of a timing belt being done.
That's why I never trust what I'm told, I guess.

gmenounos

Vendor
TDI
'99.5 Golf GLS, '01 Jetta GLX Wagon (TDI conversion)
I'm planning on upgrading to VR6 front brakes on my 99.5 Golf. I got a good deal on some clean west coast VR6 knuckles so I spent a few nights this week replacing the wheel bearings and ball joints.

It was nice for once to work on a car project while the car is still drivable and not be in a race against time to get it fixed.

Next stop: Swap the TDI knuckles for the new ones and install the calipers, carriers, rotors and pads.
I am the slowest mechanic in the world. Finally installed these along with "new" brake calipers (purchased July 2016), Koni struts and Suplex springs (both purchased March 2019). Discovered that the 288mm rotors I bought in July 2016 are actually 280mm so had to buy the correct ones.

Brakes.jpg
Also put new rotors and pads on the rear wheels. Now that my in-laws are fully vaccinated, planning on a road trip to Atlanta next weekend to visit them for the first time since December 2019. Trying to ensure that we make it all the way there and back in our 22-year-old TDI.

hey_allen

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI

I added a manual priming pump to my Jetta, using stock plumbing connectors and tubing, so it could be removed from the system with two quick disconnect fittings if needed.

I might rework the output hose to reroute it, or add more abrasion protection tubing, but I like it so far.

The pump is a Bosch part that I remembered from my Mercedes diesel, but the base with the check valves is intended to fit a Komatsu excavator of some type. I found them on Amazon and eBay, for around $45. The one I bought had a different pump on it, but the Bosch one takes less space to operate, and isn't known for leaking, unlike many of the clones are reported to do, so I spent another ~$20 for a genuine pump.

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI

I added a manual priming pump to my Jetta, using stock plumbing connectors and tubing, so it could be removed from the system with two quick disconnect fittings if needed.

I might rework the output hose to reroute it, or add more abrasion protection tubing, but I like it so far.

The pump is a Bosch part that I remembered from my Mercedes diesel, but the base with the check valves is intended to fit a Komatsu excavator of some type. I found them on Amazon and eBay, for around $45. The one I bought had a different pump on it, but the Bosch one takes less space to operate, and isn't known for leaking, unlike many of the clones are reported to do, so I spent another ~$20 for a genuine pump.
That's really cool!

Any details you can share on the part numbers (aside from what's in the picture :))

hey_allen

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
That's really cool!

Any details you can share on the part numbers (aside from what's in the picture :))
Here is one result for the priming pump assembly, with the bulky pump that I replaced: eBay

Here are the 14mm banjo fittings: Amazon
(This 7mm size barbed fitting was perfect to fit into the salvaged plastic hose, but a bit small for the rubber line. If I were doing it again, I'd probably only buy one with the 7mm hose barb, and one with 9mm or 10mm to fit the rubber fuel hose.)

The Bosch pump part number is 2447010038 and I bought it from Amazon, but you can buy it from many of the supply houses that you buy other parts for our cars.

Other than that, I used a salvaged fuel hose from a random wrecked gas Jetta in a local pick-n-pull wrecking yard, and a pair of M6 nuts and bolts to secure it to the firewall. Heating the outlet banjo fitting with a heat gun a little allowed me to work the nylon fuel line onto it, and the other hose just used a normal hose clamp from that same salvaged hose set on one end, and a no-pinch fuel injection clamp on the other end (because the hose was slightly too large to bite on the banjo fitting hose barbs.)

Last edited:

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
Here is one result for the priming pump assembly, with the bulky pump that I replaced: eBay

Here are the 14mm banjo fittings: Amazon
(This 7mm size barbed fitting was perfect to fit into the salvaged plastic hose, but a bit small for the rubber line. If I were doing it again, I'd probably only buy one with the 7mm hose barb, and one with 9mm or 10mm to fit the rubber fuel hose.)

The Bosch pump part number is 2447010038 and I bought it from Amazon, but you can buy it from many of the supply houses that you buy other parts for our cars.

Other than that, I used a salvaged fuel hose from a random wrecked gas Jetta in a local pick-n-pull wrecking yard, and a pair of M6 nuts and bolts to secure it to the firewall. Heating the outlet banjo fitting with a heat gun a little allowed me to work the nylon fuel line onto it, and the other hose just used a normal hose clamp from that same salvaged hose set on one end, and a no-pinch fuel injection clamp on the other end (because the hose was slightly too large to bite on the banjo fitting hose barbs.)
Pretty slick. I've always wondered about adding a primer to these fuel systems

hey_allen

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Pretty slick. I've always wondered about adding a primer to these fuel systems
I'd been thinking about it a bit, off and on, for years.
Then my sender plugged the check valve and I ended up waiting on tow trucks three times while I figured out what had happened.
If I'd had the priming pump, at least one would have been a self 'rescue', and it'd have made some of the pump purge easier as well.

The check valves in the pump base should function like the one in the sender did, in keeping fuel from returning to the tank, and ensuring a quick start. I'd noticed that I was cranking a little longer in the mornings after drilling out the plugged check valve, so I'll see how it behaves in the morning.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Saturday I "un-hammered" the IP on my '99.5 Golf and dropped the IQ from 3.2 to 2.0. I've always felt the car was under-fueled (stock except for RC3). I could never get it to smoke, and if didn't build boost as promptly as I would like. I wasn't going to drop it that far but when it went to 2.0 I decided to give it a shot. No shudder, which sometimes happens with earlier ECU cars with a tune, and it's more responsive. Still pretty much smoke free, although I did get a small amount when flooring it on a highway onramp. I'm guessing FE might improve a bit (usually around 45 now without any effort) since it's going to run less boost at highway cruise.

Took it for a drive into NH yesterday, found some nice empty winding roads. These cars are still rewarding to drive.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Waiting to get mine back from my son-his truck has been at shop since Super Bowl Sunday chasing hard start when cold issue( same shop that did the head gaskets/injectors/glow plugs last May, still under warranty) . I need to get the summer tires mounted up on some extra rims I have and get them on, then I'll be getting a clutch kit so I can get that used transmission swapped in. I was quoted $550-$600 for the labor,so I think I'll go that route. I'm not sure if I can do it or not....

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
Hey Allen,
Now there's a good idea! I had one on my 240D, so simple, it worked great the rare occassion when it came into play.
All the crap people go through cracking fuel lines, injectors, yada yada yada. I gotta' get me one! Thanks for the links.

snakeye

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta and Wagon, GLS 5sp

Replaced turbo, had a cleaned out intake manifold and egr valve ready to throw on. I ended up swapping the egr cooler as well since I found some sludge on the egr valve, which most likely was caused by a coolant leak.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
Incidentally, just running the part # for the Bosch, about 1/2 the price vs Amazon. They ain't cheap no more,,,,,,
all those prime trucks running around are jacking up prices, coupled with some questionable business practices.
Cracks are appearing, no wonder Bezos has exited.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
Incidentally, just running the part # for the Bosch, about 1/2 the price vs Amazon. They ain't cheap no more,,,,,,
all those prime trucks running around are jacking up prices, coupled with some questionable business practices.
Cracks are appearing, no wonder Bezos has exited.
Kind of funny, but I can tell you that is not why he exited, since I work for one of his other companies.

As well, he didn't completely exit. Still sits on the board and majority of the decisions go through him.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Lift pump does the same thing (and more) than the priming pump. I have a lift pump in both my ALHs, they always start instantly. Some think they also help extend the life of the injection pump.

Having said that my son's ALH has no lift pump, the original IP, and has never had any starting issues, despite living in places with some pretty harsh winters. Keep the fuel system in good shape and you won't have a problem.

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
Lift pump does the same thing (and more) than the priming pump. I have a lift pump in both my ALHs, they always start instantly. Some think they also help extend the life of the injection pump.

Having said that my son's ALH has no lift pump, the original IP, and has never had any starting issues, despite living in places with some pretty harsh winters. Keep the fuel system in good shape and you won't have a problem.
You said what i was kinda thinking ...
But from a cost standpoint i would imagine the manual pump would win hands down.

I am surprised that the factory did not have a manual pump ... i guess it was a cost thing maybe....

I like the manual pump as a "just in case" since i have had to do it the other way ( cranking and cracking injectors).

You know , while I was thinking about it , have you ever thought about selling lift pumps with the bypass mod already done... maybe even bio ready? .... I for one would be interested in that as the ultimate solution ( priming / possible performance / longevity improvements) but reading about how to mod and do a proper bypass has been a hindrance for me and possibly others....
Andrew