What did you do to your MKIV today?

MukGyver

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD
I like the sound of that!
Did you notice any performance gain? I’ve read that there is no gain.
Does this cause any exhaust smoke?
I like the idea of more turbo diesel sound but personally don’t want any smoke.
I don't think the straight pipe added any smoke, no smoke before (have no tune to ramp up fuel yet) and no smoke after the delete so that's good.
Honestly I feel a small amount of power but I'm sure it's very small. I partly did the mod to prepare for a Stage 1 or 2 tune.

Edit: I recommend running it out to at least under the bumper... so not to trap the noise or exhaust under the car.

Last edited:

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
Had to break out the electrical contact cleaner again for my driver's door latch last night...

Noticed on the drive into work yesterday morning that pressing the lock button on the door locked everything BUT the driver's door (if I pushed the button down by hand, it would unlock fine). Tried with the key buttons once I got to work, same thing. Was able to lock door with key in lock cylinder, but noticed it didn't always register on the first time.

Since blasting the latch innards with the cleaner (per Wingut's contribution to the "Stupid Door!! $3 fix" thread) worked for me the last time, figured I've give it a shot this time too, before worrying about ordering a new latch and planning to go spelunking into the door.

Just like the first time I tried this, it worked like a charm, and everything's working properly again.

hipe_up

TDI
Bora PD130 Highline
Upon receiving some butyl seal, I thought about sorting the door seals out on at least one of the four leaking doors, got as far as taking the drivers door card off but had a change of heart. Checked the weather and i've got a few days before rain or snow comes!

This is probably due to me having no gears as every gear feels like neutral and I cant seem to find the culprit!

MukGyver

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD
Upon receiving some butyl seal, I thought about sorting the door seals out on at least one of the four leaking doors, got as far as taking the drivers door card off but had a change of heart. Checked the weather and i've got a few days before rain or snow comes!

This is probably due to me having no gears as every gear feels like neutral and I cant seem to find the culprit!
Wow, probably hard to stay focused on door seals when your car is sitting stubbornly in neutral.
Sorry to hear that. Is it some sort of solenoid switch?

RexNICO

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Tiguan, 2011 Q7
I went to the Pick-n-Pull today. I have problems:

2003 New Beetle Colour Concept seats.

The driver’s side needs re-stitching. They both need cleaning and leather conditioning, but I think they have potential.
I had the same style with red inserts, which encouraged me to find all the other "red trimmed" bits. Sad part is only the passenger seat, non-OEM shifter boot and steering wheel ever got "installed". I sent the drivers seat with the car to my Brother, I think he said they just wiped it down and installed it. I need to find the rest of the parts and list them for sale ... too many parts, not enough time.

Have you ever sat in this style of seat in the car before? They're VERY comfortable if you're not too skinny or too wide.

hipe_up

TDI
Bora PD130 Highline
Wow, probably hard to stay focused on door seals when your car is sitting stubbornly in neutral.
Sorry to hear that. Is it some sort of solenoid switch?
Yeah door seals are the least of my worries but at the same time they need doing :)
I'm thinking its mechanical, it's a manual and it's like I've got the clutch down forever :(

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
Yeah door seals are the least of my worries but at the same time they need doing :)
I'm thinking its mechanical, it's a manual and it's like I've got the clutch down forever :(
So, if it's like the clutch is down, and you engage a gear, then let up on the clutch - what happens?

Does everything feel normal? Clutch pedal force, shifter feels like it's going into a gear, etc?

What you describe is very difficult to have happen (if I'm understanding correctly).

hipe_up

TDI
Bora PD130 Highline
So, if it's like the clutch is down, and you engage a gear, then let up on the clutch - what happens?

Does everything feel normal? Clutch pedal force, shifter feels like it's going into a gear, etc?

What you describe is very difficult to have happen (if I'm understanding correctly).
I've just started a thread which explains it slightly better but it doesn't make sense to me either, can cable snap and stretch but still seem to work fine?

So everything feels normal clutch, shifter, slots into 'gear' nicely with or without engine running (clutch input makes no difference) if I lift the clutch nothing happens, no drive

hipe_up

TDI
Bora PD130 Highline
My thoughts exactly. Sounds like it would have to be linkage failure and just happens to also be in neutral.
I'm praying its a linkage failure but all seems well, I suppose I should remove it for further inspection as that's much easier that the gearbox

sriracha

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon 5mt, 1982 Rabbit truck (gas)
I had the same style with red inserts, which encouraged me to find all the other "red trimmed" bits. Sad part is only the passenger seat, non-OEM shifter boot and steering wheel ever got "installed". I sent the drivers seat with the car to my Brother, I think he said they just wiped it down and installed it. I need to find the rest of the parts and list them for sale ... too many parts, not enough time.

Have you ever sat in this style of seat in the car before? They're VERY comfortable if you're not too skinny or too wide.
I've only sat in this style of square-bolster seat at the Pick-n-Pull. I've seen these square bolsters pass through with yellow, orange and grey panels but they've been in too bad of shape for me to overcome the bright yellow or orange. So, yes, I sat in them at the yard and made a promise to myself that if I ever saw the blue panel seats, that I would buy them. I agree, they are VERY comfortable!

I already have a new-old-stock OEM Colour Concept blue shift boot in my wagon, so I'm pretty excited about the matching seats.

These blue seats have seat heaters in them, so I also grabbed the seat heater switches and connectors. I would need to build a wiring harness for the seat heaters though.

MukGyver

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD
I've only sat in this style of square-bolster seat at the Pick-n-Pull. I've seen these square bolsters pass through with yellow, orange and grey panels but they've been in too bad of shape for me to overcome the bright yellow or orange. So, yes, I sat in them at the yard and made a promise to myself that if I ever saw the blue panel seats, that I would buy them. I agree, they are VERY comfortable!

I already have a new-old-stock OEM Colour Concept blue shift boot in my wagon, so I'm pretty excited about the matching seats.

These blue seats have seat heaters in them, so I also grabbed the seat heater switches and connectors. I would need to build a wiring harness for the seat heaters though.
Sounds like a fun and very rewarding project.

sriracha

Veteran Member
TDI
The new headliner makes the car feel newer. It's nice having full view out of the rear view mirror, instead of seeing headliner fabric flapping in the breeze.

Also, at the Pick-n-Pull, I pulled a black Jetta grill and interior wood trim for the radio surround. I got the two vertical side trim pieces, the lower trim, the ashtray and I also found a rare 3-dial HVAC wood trim piece in a Passat.

RexNICO

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Tiguan, 2011 Q7
If I recall correctly you have to trim 1 little tab to get the Passat HVAC trim to fit the MKIV. Should be obvious once you try to install it.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Modified my OMI to relocate the lower support tab. With just the upper tab it kept slipping off the turbo inlet. Reason for the mod is because I have a BRM intake, and the normal screw hole isn't present.

sriracha

Veteran Member
TDI
Installed the ratty Beetle seats and noticed two issues:
1. Driver’s side seat-back is twisted. See below.
2. Airbag light was triggered, even though I disconnected the battery during the swap.
As a result, I’m swapping back to the original seats. Bummer, because they really are comfortable.
Also, how do I turn the airbag warning light off? Visit the dealer?

sriracha

Veteran Member
TDI
Swapped back to the original seats:

While I had both the Jetta wagon and Beetle Sport seats out of the car, I flipped them over just to compare. It looks to me like the metal frame substructure is the same on both seats. So, theoretically, one could build Beetle sport seats on the Jetta subframes, by swapping over the cushions and seat covers. Although, the back subframes might be different, because theBeetle seats have lumbar adjustment.

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
And your Beetle seats appear to have heaters...now you are going to want to install the controls for 'em… :)
cheers,
Douglas

sriracha

Veteran Member
TDI
And your Beetle seats appear to have heaters...now you are going to want to install the controls for 'em… :)
cheers,
Douglas
I did purchase the seat heater controls and associated pigtails from the Pick-n-Pull. I would need to assemble the wiring to complete the seat heater project.

hey_allen

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
I went prowling the local pick-n-pull this weekend, hoping for a decent hood liner to replace the one in my car that was still soaked in oil from when my turbo failed and dumped oil on the right half-shaft (and then all over the engine bay...)

Only one Jetta still had the hood liner, and it was disintegrating as I walked the aisles, so it didn't come home with me. Instead, I now have a roll of water heater insulation wrap that will be going onto the hood.
I will say, I'm surprised just how noticeable the difference is in the engine sound, with the oil soaked liner removed. I wouldn't have expected much noise, just a slightly higher heating of the hood, but I heard a bit more of the rattly knock of a diesel engine than I'm used to hearing from a VW TDI during my drive home last night and going to work today.

sriracha

Veteran Member
TDI
I attempted to use FlashZilla to clear the airbag fault code but it didn't seem to see any fault codes. I'm thinking that the airbag code is located in the convenience module and that the FlashZilla only communicates with the engine module? Has anybody used FlashZilla to clear fault codes?
Anyways, I'm taking it to an independent shop to clear the airbag code.

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
Rotated tires ... one wheel stuck to the rotor so it was a good opportunity to wire brush everything and slather on some anti seize ... hopefully won't have that issue again.

Andrew

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
I attempted to use FlashZilla to clear the airbag fault code but it didn't seem to see any fault codes. I'm thinking that the airbag code is located in the convenience module and that the FlashZilla only communicates with the engine module? Has anybody used FlashZilla to clear fault codes?
Anyways, I'm taking it to an independent shop to clear the airbag code.
Flashzilla won’t access the air bag module as you suspected, you would need Vcds or its equivalent to remove the code,
as long as what caused the code is fixed.

sriracha

Veteran Member
TDI
Flashzilla won’t access the air bag module as you suspected, you would need Vcds or its equivalent to remove the code,
as long as what caused the code is fixed.
I drove down to German Motorwerks, in Monterey, and had them reset the airbag fault code. The code said, "low voltage, seatbelt". I think I know what the problem is... the driver's side seatbelt anchor was bent 90º under the seat somehow. I had removed the bent seatbelt anchor and straightened it out with a vice, but maybe the delicate wires were damaged? Either way, the seatbelt fault code remained off during the drive home.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Background: post #6529.

So I finished with replacing broken parts from this excursion. I got this completed about 8 days ago.

First, needed to replace the bent turbocharger mount with the correct one. Then the real fun was getting the correct parts to do the turbo oil return line. $117 at a discount for a <bleep>ing return line with 2 swaged ends on a very short piece of hose? Really VW? Greedy bleepers. I ended up getting the genuine OEM fitting that goes into the block, but if anyone gives me grief for buying a chinesium return line, you can just go play in the traffic.

That part took a while, with 2 sessions of new part procurement.

I was hoping the old CV joint could be retained since it was nearly new, with less than 10k miles on it, but no deal. While the balls and races were, I am sure, quite pristine, at least 2 of the outer bolt holes were visibly deformed. So I bought a boot kit for possible use, but will instead hold it for possible future use. I instead bought a complete inner right CV joint kit and used that.

The only real problem that came up in that CV replacement part of the operation was that the new boot had a seriously stubborn attitude when it came to slipping over the end of the half-shaft. It didn't seem like there was that much stretching to do, and I greased the way on boot and shaft, so I can't explain the trouble. There must be a problem with the tiny sharp edge at the end of the grooves. You know the one - the one that provides a stop for the spring washer.

Anyway, it all finally came together, I made a nice mess (I always do...) applying the new grease, got the c-clip in place, and bolted down the new CV joint with the new bolts. Got it all buttoned up properly.

It is nice to have by 4-dr driving well again. Yay!!

Cheers,

PH

sriracha

Veteran Member
TDI
Srirach, i know those other seats may be comfortable but your original seats look absolutely dashing IMO.
Thanks! They look better in person that in the photo above. I agree, they do look nice, they are rather comfortable and the bolsters are supportive. I like the leather D-shaped headrests, from a Snap Orange Beetle. The original cloth seats are noticeably lighter than the leather Beetle seats. Both are mechanical seats. I'm probably going to just write this up as a loss and stick with the original cloth seats.

Hinzipwo

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI (auto)
i finally solved my no charging issue with a new alternator! i think i have the record of longest time to change an alternator, as we were messing around with swapping one from my parts car and changing fuses. i thought the alternator was fine and that i had something else going on. 2 and a half weeks later, i bit the bullet and ordered a new one. And of course that was the problem :rolleyes:. anybody else take longer to swap an alternator? :LOL: