Judson

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta

RexNICO

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Tiguan, 2011 Q7
... I love having homelink. I don't think I paid that much though. Maybe I bought it off of Ebay? I don't remember.
Did something similar using an OEM unit I pulled from a GM (I think it was) and swapped over to the VAG normal button twist on mount. For most of the OEM units out there, all the "brains" are in the mirror and there seems to be a standard ball/socket size, it's just a matter of finding the proper VAG mount for your windshield that supports wires passing through. Of course, some of the GM/Nissan units wires don't go through the mount, so they're even easier.
Ended up selling it off a few years back when I went with a proximity opener that senses my phone and opens ... it's hit or miss, but also allows me to open the garage from a distance if some locks themselves out or gets there before me, etc.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
I ended up getting some B5.5 visors a year ago that had home link in them, they definitely are nice to have.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Picked up IBW at Kraftwerke after it got new control arms, Koni Reds, front springs, tires, brake fluid flush, and the rusted out hitch removed. And new Ocean tail lights.

I really like these lights. It really needed the springs, it sits significantly taller in front. And rides a lot better, too.

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
Also, discovered the USB-RS232 adapter I use to make my HEX-COM VCDS cable work with my USB-only laptop wasn't working. Have to see if a recent Windows update or driver install has messed up the settings, or if the thing's just dead after about 5 years. Ah well, that goes on the to-do list for after I get my taxes filed...
Was able to run a fault scan on the Jetta today through the USB-RS232 adapter to check out the latest VCDS version. Turns out somewhere along the line the "latency timer" setting for the COM port assigned to the adapter got changed from 2nsec to 16nsec. Set it back and I'm back in business again.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Picked up IBW at Kraftwerke after it got new control arms, Koni Reds, front springs, tires, brake fluid flush, and the rusted out hitch removed. And new Ocean tail lights.

I really like these lights. It really needed the springs, it sits significantly taller in front. And rides a lot better, too.
Man, I wish ebay wasn't the only place I could get those lights. Looks super clean.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
These are actually OE Euro, from a company called TMTuning which didn't survive the '08 recession. That's how long I've had them! They were on the car for a long time, but then they weren't. And now they're back!

sriracha

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon 5mt, 1982 Rabbit truck (gas)
Picked up my headliner, with the new fabric. It looks so much better, even just held in place by a couple items for the drive home. I'm going to attempt to shampoo the pillar trim items. They're pretty nasty compared to the new headliner. I'll update the results.

sriracha

Veteran Member
TDI

Coincidentally, I just purchased a set of these Ocean tail lights, off ebay, from Germany, today. They say they are manufactured by TYC. I have the normal tail lights, purchased directly from the VW dealer with OEM part numbers, and they have TYC stamped in the plastic, so I'm hoping I purchased something of similar quality. Just gotta wait a few weeks for them to arrive. Did you do any custom setup with these, like relocating the brake light, the 5th brake mod or rear fog lights?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Didn't do either rear fogs or the 5th brake light. I'm not a 5th brake light fan, and honestly rear fogs didn't occur to me. Other than thinking amber turn indicators are safer, I'm not much into lighting.

sriracha

Veteran Member
TDI
Last night, I cleaned the driver’s side B-Pillar, with dish soap, a sponge and warm water. Upon viewing the dried results this morning, I was greatly satisfied.

Cleaned vs dirty B-Pillars:

sriracha

Veteran Member
TDI
Impressive
Thanks! The driver’s side B pillar was easily twice as dirty so, everything should clean up nicely. Will post pics when everything is done. I’m pretty excited about the interior refresh.

MukGyver

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD
Thanks! The driver’s side B pillar was easily twice as dirty so, everything should clean up nicely. Will post pics when everything is done. I’m pretty excited about the interior refresh.
Cleaned up very nicely. Now just don't get a wild hair and go shoot it all with Febreze!. . stuff should be illegal. 😎

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Replaced my napa rebuilt starter, which had castings on it saying its a bosch, with a wrecking yard bosch starter I've had for a year or so. Tore it apart last week to find it still had new brushes. Got tired of the starter disengaging during cranking.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
So that old adage of "replace both bulbs" when you burn one out? Lol, just came good on my low beam headlights.
Had to replace one 2 weeks ago, now the starboard/passenger side just went. At least it didn't necessitate removing the battery. Had a matching pair, replaced out when I went for "Rally" high beams. I do have some brand new ones,
but after replacing the first one before the Flosser +90% arrived, I thought I'd be consistent and install an albeit used
matched set.

sriracha

Veteran Member
TDI
I finished installing the newly wrapped headliner along with all the pillar trims and everything that bolts to the ceiling. I then proceeded to wash the car. It's looking clean inside and out right now. Too dark to take pics, thought.

MukGyver

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD
I finished installing the newly wrapped headliner along with all the pillar trims and everything that bolts to the ceiling. I then proceeded to wash the car. It's looking clean inside and out right now. Too dark to take pics, thought.
can't wait to see how sweet she looks. You know what they say, without pics it didn't happen ;-)

vandermic07

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Golf 5 spd, 03 Jetta Wagon
So that old adage of "replace both bulbs" when you burn one out? Lol, just came good on my low beam headlights.
Had to replace one 2 weeks ago, now the starboard/passenger side just went. At least it didn't necessitate removing the battery. Had a matching pair, replaced out when I went for "Rally" high beams. I do have some brand new ones,
but after replacing the first one before the Flosser +90% arrived, I thought I'd be consistent and install an albeit used
matched set.
I use to replace mine at the exact same time until they burnt out at the exact same time. Nothing like driving in the dark and suddenly everything goes black. Luckily i was on a straight road. Ran to the store with my high beams (thats another story...). I thought i had an electrical issue so I only replaced 1 light that day. then replaced the 2nd bulb the next day. Months later the one bulb burned out and the next day the second one burned out. So I ran around for 2 weeks with 1 bulb then replaced the second one. I also keep spare bulbs in my car now.

Moral of the story... Offset changing bulbs by a few days... and keep extra bulbs in car!

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Changed my thermostat as temp was slowly creeping up when laying into throttle On my daily driver.
Found the front end clunk on spare bug....... lh upper sway bar lost nut and became disconnected......

C.Powell

TDI
MkIV Jetta Station Wagon
After searching the forum replaced the non functioning antenna base. We now have AM back and improved FM.

sriracha

Veteran Member
TDI
I went to the Pick-n-Pull today. I have problems:

2003 New Beetle Colour Concept seats.

The driver’s side needs re-stitching. They both need cleaning and leather conditioning, but I think they have potential.

MukGyver

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD
I use to replace mine at the exact same time until they burnt out at the exact same time. Nothing like driving in the dark and suddenly everything goes black. Luckily i was on a straight road. Ran to the store with my high beams (thats another story...). I thought i had an electrical issue so I only replaced 1 light that day. then replaced the 2nd bulb the next day. Months later the one bulb burned out and the next day the second one burned out. So I ran around for 2 weeks with 1 bulb then replaced the second one. I also keep spare bulbs in my car now.

Moral of the story... Offset changing bulbs by a few days... and keep extra bulbs in car!
that's crazy. It's like they have a self destruct timer on them, connected at the hip.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB

MukGyver

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD
Did a muffler delete. Was a bit challenging welding from my side under the car but really happy with the result. Once it was stuck on there well enough i fired it up for a preview and knew instantly the muffler was Not going back on.. so I ground off and reused the hanger rods that were on the muffler. The chrome tip resonator ends at about the middle of the bumper. I wanted it to extend at least that far back to make sure I wasn't stuck with cabin drone.

Final verdict: almost as quiet as it was before inside.. and outside has a nice rumble and a bit more whistling... I'm very pleased.

sriracha

Veteran Member
TDI
Did a muffler delete. Was a bit challenging welding from my side under the car but really happy with the result. Once it was stuck on there well enough i fired it up for a preview and knew instantly the muffler was Not going back on.. so I ground off and reused the hanger rods that were on the muffler. The chrome tip resonator ends at about the middle of the bumper. I wanted it to extend at least that far back to make sure I wasn't stuck with cabin drone.

Final verdict: almost as quiet as it was before inside.. and outside has a nice rumble and a bit more whistling... I'm very pleased.
I like the sound of that!
Did you notice any performance gain? I’ve read that there is no gain.
Does this cause any exhaust smoke?
I like the idea of more turbo diesel sound but personally don’t want any smoke.