What did you do to your MKIV today?

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Much of the '70s and '80s are a blur, but I don't ever remember having a car the didn't show faster than actual.

Stupendous60

Veteran Member
TDI
moved this from my other thread, I think the MKIV forum is a better fit.

Recently hit 100k miles, so I decided to give the old girl a wash/clay/polish. Wet sanded the headlights and polished those as well. Garage is a mess, still trying to get organized after the move.

Also picked up a nice set of BBS Montreal 2 wheels (new center caps inbound):

While I had time off from work, I decided to tackle the HVAC blend door foam issue:

Then while I had that all apart, I got the bright idea to run all the wiring and add heated seats, along with an updated console:

I need to replace the tie rods (on order) before getting an alignment. I've really been going back and forth if I want to add a cup kit and new control arm bushings before I get an alignment. Not sure if I should go down the slippery slope of modifying a 20 year old car...
I like your Montreal 2's, I rescued a set from the junkyard, repainted and put them on NC (2000 NB)

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
And that's on the out side of the rotor, betcha' it's even worse on the in side. More condensation and less air flow are the culprits IMO.

03TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
01' NB, 5spd
Finally received the back-tap so I could fix my glow plug issue. New one installed, no leaks - yay!

Also replaced the diesel return hoses (the fabric was disintegrating on the old ones), then shampooed the seats. Hoping the seats clean up nicely.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
It was yesterday, but I did some coding in the ccm and got it where my golf's hatch unlocks with the doors. Yay!

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
What did I do today... blew over $20 worth of power steering fluid, and now wondering if I just need a new line. I used one from a donor vehicle (probably junkyard, but I honestly don't remember) when I did my 02J swap.

Also, is 54mpg fairly normal in an ALH for mixed city/highway (but minimal stoplights for the city)?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Also, is 54mpg fairly normal in an ALH for mixed city/highway (but minimal stoplights for the city)?
Certainly possible, if you keep speeds down. I filled my Wagon yesterday and got 50.4. Better than last time simply because I kept highway speeds under 80.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
Horrible! Just kidding. Wow, that's amazing. Is that with the Malone stage 1? (I hear it can up the MPG)
Malone Stage 4. I also have a new Melett VNT17 and freshly rebuilt injectors with .230 nozzles, so it runs beautifully. Before, I was getting about 34-36mpg (measured both by the MFA and buy hand, filling to the top of the neck). At speeds at 45mph and under, I was averaging 74mpg.

03TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
01' NB, 5spd
Malone Stage 4. I also have a new Melett VNT17 and freshly rebuilt injectors with .230 nozzles, so it runs beautifully. Before, I was getting about 34-36mpg (measured both by the MFA and buy hand, filling to the top of the neck). At speeds at 45mph and under, I was averaging 74mpg.
Very nice! I FINALLY bought a tune. Always wanted to with the Jetta but never did. Got the Beetle around Black Friday and Malone's discount was too good to ignore. Only stage 1, and I haven't installed it yet as I've got a low power problem I need to sort through first (not limp - I think the intake is coked up), but I can't wait for the better mpg and butt dyno results!

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
Very nice! I FINALLY bought a tune. Always wanted to with the Jetta but never did. Got the Beetle around Black Friday and Malone's discount was too good to ignore. Only stage 1, and I haven't installed it yet as I've got a low power problem I need to sort through first (not limp - I think the intake is coked up), but I can't wait for the better mpg and butt dyno results!
That was one of the first things I did on my 2003 Golf, after bringing it back to Texas from Costa Mesa (not sure where you are in So Cal) - ditched the intake/EGR. The previous owner claimed a lot of things, including cleaning the intake, but it was nasty (he claimed he cleaned it 3 months ago, but there was at least 5 years of build-up in there). I shouldn't have that problem anymore.

Have you ever had your injector nozzles changed? That was the primary deal maker for me in terms of mpg.

03TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
01' NB, 5spd
Have you ever had your injector nozzles changed? That was the primary deal maker for me in terms of mpg.
I'm in Ventura. No, not yet. Still original injectors. The Jetta I had, bought with 315K miles and took it to 365K miles, still had it's original injectors and performance on it was quite good, until it wasn't. I never figured out why it suddenly was mediocre. This beetle isn't as bad, but still isn't as strong as the Jetta was when the Jetta was working well.

New nozzles is one area that scares me though, or at least makes me apprehensive. I'm not real versed at looking at stuff in VCDS and figuring out what I need to do if I were to change them from anything other than stock. That and they're pretty expensive. I've got 222K miles on the ones in the beetle, and I hope they're original and the previous owner didn't swap them with another high mileage TDI that he had.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
They're 15s. It's stock height, the camera angle makes it look taller than it is.

That look more normal? Suspension is bone stock, even Sachs OE dampers.

Last edited:

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
Ahhh, yes. Guess I never knew what "normal stock" was. New springs? My car was considerably lower at 123k when I got it, very tired, it was undoubtedly the original equipment.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I don't know how old the springs are. I haven't replaced them, although they appear to be in good shape. The struts and mounts are less than a year old. At least I think they are, I tend to lose track. ;) One co-worker wants me to lower it, but I probably won't do that.

My Wagon is seems to be sitting lower than last year, it's due for a suspension refresh. The Konis in it have about 130K on them, and the front springs are original. I've had other setups in there briefly over the years, but those springs still have to have close to 400K on them. It's time for new ones, I think,

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
Well I'm certainly very happy with the Koni Special Reds & Suplex springs (Vr6 front & Wagon Towing rears) that you sold me coming up on 5 years, 60k, ago. Firm enough for sporty, soft enough around town.
Now need rear bushings though, I think I'll go for OEM after finding an old Dick Shine comment about "upgraded"
bushings. And I know you're a fan of the rear Shine style swaybar. Pull the rear member out and install both bar and bushings.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
Put them on! The look is just what I wanted.'
That doesn't look Indigo Blue. Traitor! Haha, kidding. Only saying that, because I currently one THREE Indigo Blue TDIs. I guess a combination of both getting lucky and the color really wearing on me. Nice looking Golf otherwise though, Peter.

I'm in Ventura. No, not yet. Still original injectors. The Jetta I had, bought with 315K miles and took it to 365K miles, still had it's original injectors and performance on it was quite good, until it wasn't. I never figured out why it suddenly was mediocre. This beetle isn't as bad, but still isn't as strong as the Jetta was when the Jetta was working well.

New nozzles is one area that scares me though, or at least makes me apprehensive. I'm not real versed at looking at stuff in VCDS and figuring out what I need to do if I were to change them from anything other than stock. That and they're pretty expensive. I've got 222K miles on the ones in the beetle, and I hope they're original and the previous owner didn't swap them with another high mileage TDI that he had.
Ahh, same as Neuspeed, who's in Camarillo. I think I was last there in March? Or maybe last year. Picked up some shocks from them (Bilstein didn't want to warranty them, because they were "within spec"), and a bunch of free ALH parts from someone who lived a couple of miles away.

I have no problem helping you install injectors when I'm out in CA next month, as long as you had someone install quality nozzles for you. Honestly, it was quite easy on my car. If I hadn't lost my adapter for my metalnerd slide hammer, I would've saved about 20 minutes on my install time. Remove, clean out the injector hole/crush washer seat as good as you can, reinstall the new injectors, and torque down the hold-down bolts. For me, I opted to pull a vacuum at the return line on the injection pump. Still took several tries to crank, but it was otherwise pretty easy.

If you're staying stock for the California emissions BS, I think a lot of people on here talk about .205 for some fun, or other smaller sizes. Remember, if those are original injectors, and they were such and such value (I think manuals were what, .180 or something like that), doesn't mean they're the same spec 2 decades/365K miles later.

The first time around, I sent my injectors to Frank Irving. The injectors I pulled from the Golf, in turn, went to Able diesel injection service in Denton (@alphaseinor highly recommends them and has used them extensively). When I get those injectors back, they go into the Ute project car, which otherwise has everything I need for a Stage 4.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
Oh yeah, almost forgot... What did I do today...

Brian (@alphaseinor ) came to the ranch today and helped me with a physical walkthrough of an ALH timing belt. Before we start on my Ute tomorrow, I need to install a timesert into the accessory bracket, because the previous owner is a f****** idiot. I need to take some photos of what he calls a timing belt job (like using a used water pump when changing the timing belt., or 20 year old components).

Also appear so far to have fixed my power steering problem by double stacking washers. Not what I wanted, but if it stops leaking, that's a good thing for me!

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
That doesn't look Indigo Blue. Traitor! Haha, kidding. Only saying that, because I currently one THREE Indigo Blue TDIs. I guess a combination of both getting lucky and the color really wearing on me. Nice looking Golf otherwise though, Peter.

Ahh, same as Neuspeed, who's in Camarillo. I think I was last there in March? Or maybe last year. Picked up some shocks from them (Bilstein didn't want to warranty them, because they were "within spec"), and a bunch of free ALH parts from someone who lived a couple of miles away.

I have no problem helping you install injectors when I'm out in CA next month, as long as you had someone install quality nozzles for you. Honestly, it was quite easy on my car. If I hadn't lost my adapter for my metalnerd slide hammer, I would've saved about 20 minutes on my install time. Remove, clean out the injector hole/crush washer seat as good as you can, reinstall the new injectors, and torque down the hold-down bolts. For me, I opted to pull a vacuum at the return line on the injection pump. Still took several tries to crank, but it was otherwise pretty easy.

If you're staying stock for the California emissions BS, I think a lot of people on here talk about .205 for some fun, or other smaller sizes. Remember, if those are original injectors, and they were such and such value (I think manuals were what, .180 or something like that), doesn't mean they're the same spec 2 decades/365K miles later.

The first time around, I sent my injectors to Frank Irving. The injectors I pulled from the Golf, in turn, went to Able diesel injection service in Denton (@alphaseinor highly recommends them and has used them extensively). When I get those injectors back, they go into the Ute project car, which otherwise has everything I need for a Stage 4.
Do two injectors, then start the car and let it run until smooth (a few seconds typically), then do the other two. No vacuum pump, no cracking lines with diesel all over the place, etc

03TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
01' NB, 5spd
Thanks for the offer. If I do anything, it'll be a while. Have to fix the low power issue, then install the stage 1 tune. I might be pleased with just that.

Obligatory "What did I do to my MKIV today" - put a hole in the roof. . . .intentionally. . . . . and installed an NMO mount for a dual band antenna.
The sunroof cleared the mount no problem, but routing the cable out to the side was a bit of a pain. Wish the beetle didn't have a sunroof so the ground plane wasn't interrupted. Drilled the hole 5" back from the rear sunroof edge to clear the stiffener brace.

Now I have to figure out where I'm going to mount a mobile radio - the beetle interior is weird. An ideal spot would the on top of the dash as it's so big, but having the radio in the sun would be bad. What to do, what to do.
(excuse the bird poop - this is the first year crows discovered our orange tree)

Last edited:

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
Do two injectors, then start the car and let it run until smooth (a few seconds typically), then do the other two. No vacuum pump, no cracking lines with diesel all over the place, etc
That's one way to do it. Sometimes, people will crack all four lines until they're all pissing out diesel, and then try to crank. Ultimately, I guess it depends on whats easiest.

Thanks for the offer. If I do anything, it'll be a while. Have to fix the low power issue, then install the stage 1 tune. I might be pleased with just that.
Totally up to you. All I can say is based on my own observed improvement, I'll be doing that in the future, though I don't really plan on owning more than the two ALHs and 1 CJAA...
(excuse the bird poop - this is the first year crows discovered our orange tree)
Lucky you. I'm pretty sure my mother doesn't have citrus at her place next door. I know they don't like frost, and we've had more hard freeze days here than normal. This has been a pretty cold winter in Texas...

Ahhh, yes. Guess I never knew what "normal stock" was. New springs? My car was considerably lower at 123k when I got it, very tired, it was undoubtedly the original equipment.
Do springs actually wear out considerably over time? As soon as I can clear a spot on the driveway, I want to redo the front struts on my Ute Jetta. I put VR6 springs in front and wagon springs in the rear, as I want to raise it up (when it's completed as a Ute, it will be registered and used as a farm truck, for the times that my F-450 is overkill).

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles

A tune, bigger injectors, and a good tdi guru and you'll be kicking yourself for not doing it sooner!

More MPGs and better performance....

if money is tight you could probably be ok with just the new / bigger injectors .... most of my upgrades happened over nearly 200k miles as things wore out and needed replacing.... I just had them replaced with high performance better parts.

Amittedly. some things (like the rear sway bar and exhaust ) were done for the upgrade and performance and not because they wore out.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
A tune, bigger injectors, and a good tdi guru and you'll be kicking yourself for not doing it sooner!

More MPGs and better performance....
Oh yes. Fuel economy changed substantially for me!
if money is tight you could probably be ok with just the new / bigger injectors .... most of my upgrades happened over nearly 200k miles as things wore out and needed replacing.... I just had them replaced with high performance better parts.

Amittedly. some things (like the rear sway bar and exhaust ) were done for the upgrade and performance and not because they wore out.
Well, that and Mk4s never came with rear swaybars.

What is yours? Mine is a 28mm Neuspeed that I got on sale earlier last year from a Neuspeed vendor (cheaper than Neuspeed's list prices).

what did I do today...
@alphaseinor helped me by doing a timesert on the bolt hole for my accessory belt tensioner. We finished up the ALH, I timed it, put new Conti DWS06 on the front, and put what was on it previously (Conti SureContacts) onto mom's BEW Wagon. Then, we started pulling the headliner, flooring airbags, and etc out of the Ute car. We'll probably start cutting and installing next weekend.