What did you do to your MKIV today?

Judson

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Well dropped off my car for the welding of the turbo. Should have it back in a week or two. I will be running stock boost tune at first, then one more powerful (24 or so) and if all seems fine after a while will push her a bit more. 28psi would be the max.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
Finally got around to installing the glass headlights lens. Figured I’d also wire in the fogs and why not add additional fogs down below. Well, UPS broke my heart by delaying the factory headlamp fog harness. Bulbs are in, lower fogs are wired and tested but I plan to tap into the headlamp fog light harness at the euro switch. I think it should be relatively easy to complete when the harness arrives. Anyone know why there are two positions (pull) on the Euro switch, rear fogs? Anyone know pinout numbers on switch? I understand pin 8 is for fogs. Is pin 9 for 2nd set of fogs? Would be cool if I could control fogs separate.
Yes, that second position is for the rear fogs, which are empty as far as I know for all of the US versions.
I don't know the pinout, but you could run that second position that you're not using to wire anything you want out front...ie wire the standard front fogs with the one that is already wired in with the harness, then run your own wire from the rear fog switch out to a relay to control any component you want (lightbar, lower fogs, etc).

I'm going to be doing something similar since I've made use of my "rear fog" bulb holders for the 5th brake light mod on my Golf.

Rapid Transit

Veteran Member
TDI
03 4dr Golf GLS
Yes, that second position is for the rear fogs, which are empty as far as I know for all of the US versions.
I don't know the pinout, but you could run that second position that you're not using to wire anything you want out front...ie wire the standard front fogs with the one that is already wired in with the harness, then run your own wire from the rear fog switch out to a relay to control any component you want (lightbar, lower fogs, etc).

I'm going to be doing something similar since I've made use of my "rear fog" bulb holders for the 5th brake light mod on my Golf.
Thanks for the confirmation. I found a schematic. Pin 8 is fog light in headlamp (1 pull), pin 9 is for rear fog (second pull powers both).

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf

Mozambiquer

TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
I noticed no fuse holder mount on the battery or plastic battery "fence"...did you do the mega battery upgrade too?
Plastic fence and fuse holder holder were awol before I got the car... 😕 I didn't upgrade to the mega battery, but it's more ccas than the one it had before.

Mozambiquer

TDI
Took my golf on a medical call this morning. It's now very nice to be able to see egt so I know I'm not roasting my engine...

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
Took my golf on a medical call this morning. It's now very nice to be able to see egt so I know I'm not roasting my engine...
In the 1st Gen Cummins forums, the guidance is that *BEFORE any fueling mods are made that an EGT is installed with its probe upstream of the turbine. I'm sure that for most stuff the management system on these wee beasties keeps most of that at bay, but I'll not turn my BEW up until I have one... :)

I'd love to have a big VGT on Lurch...even with a 7-blade HX35 and a 16 cm^2 housing, there is a fair bit o' lag with the fuel screw in a bit.
cheers,
Douglas

Mozambiquer

TDI
In the 1st Gen Cummins forums, the guidance is that *BEFORE any fueling mods are made that an EGT is installed with its probe upstream of the turbine. I'm sure that for most stuff the management system on these wee beasties keeps most of that at bay, but I'll not turn my BEW up until I have one... :)

I'd love to have a big VGT on Lurch...even with a 7-blade HX35 and a 16 cm^2 housing, there is a fair bit o' lag with the fuel screw in a bit.
cheers,
Douglas
Yeah, that's probably one of the contributing factors for it having had a bad engine when I got it. It had some unlabeled big injectors with a modified turbo that spiked at 40 psi! No egt gauge or anything. I have it down from what it was and had the gauge, just had to install it.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
Plastic fence and fuse holder holder were awol before I got the car... 😕 I didn't upgrade to the mega battery, but it's more ccas than the one it had before.
Ah ok. We'll shoot your 90% there already! Next time you need a battery, just notch out the corners of the tray then the bohemith fits in there perfectly!

In the 1st Gen Cummins forums, the guidance is that *BEFORE any fueling mods are made that an EGT is installed with its probe upstream of the turbine.
Should be requirement on any gen Cummins. My 3rd gen got all the gauges prior to any other mods as well!

Mozambiquer

TDI
Ah ok. We'll shoot your 90% there already! Next time you need a battery, just notch out the corners of the tray then the bohemith fits in there perfectly!

Should be requirement on any gen Cummins. My 3rd gen got all the gauges prior to any other mods as well!
The battery that was in it was the bigger one, just had lower cca rating? It was a really cheap walmart battery that was in the car when I got it. 490 cca! 😱

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI

cheers,
Douglas
Nothing against more gauges, but with an ALH or BEW (basically anything not common rail) - as long as there isn't a continuous smoke screen behind you, the EGT's won't get high enough for long enough to do any damage. Any on-ramp blast or similar isn't a problem. Even with a trailer/parachute in tow, as long as you don't see smoke continuously, you're good.

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
The battery that was in it was the bigger one, just had lower cca rating? It was a really cheap walmart battery that was in the car when I got it. 490 cca! 😱
I don't think these TDI engines need more than 250cca to turn over. You do need a battery that has sufficient amp hours capacity though.

Mozambiquer

TDI
I don't think these TDI engines need more than 250cca to turn over. You do need a battery that has sufficient amp hours capacity though.
Unless it's cold. Then it requires a lot more. It's getting to winter here, and the battery was worn out and ready to be replaced it only had 300 ca and failed to start twice on the cool mornings.

Midwesthick

Veteran Member
TDI
A3, GSW, 02-Golf
Installed a new MAF(Bosch), air filter(not old but I was right there) and used a new silicone line from the airbox to the N75. Damn does a new MAF truly make a difference. Excited when the ECU adapts to the new one fully. Car felt a little peppier on its 1 mile test drive after install. Highly recommend for the $70 I spent on a new one.

I did not know this but the previous owner had a line that came out from the N75 that was joined together by a fitting and continued to the airbox....literally just did not see it and it was janky as hell. Glad I switched that out.

I closed the business until Monday for a nice little vacation for everyone so I’ll spend some time and replace all the vacuum lines in the bay this weekend. Nice easy beer drinking project.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
Ya I went back and found my post on my upgrade to the H8 (even though the link shows the original post it should take you to my post:

Nothing against more gauges, but with an ALH or BEW (basically anything not common rail) - as long as there isn't a continuous smoke screen behind you, the EGT's won't get high enough for long enough to do any damage. Any on-ramp blast or similar isn't a problem. Even with a trailer/parachute in tow, as long as you don't see smoke continuously, you're good.
I'd agree for a stock TDI probably not. But if you're getting visuals out the pipe signaling you have high EGT's you could be too late.
If I was towing, was heavily modified (where you are messing with the fuel timing, air, etc) I def would be monitoring that. Cheap insurance to a potentially devastating problem.

It's not really what's happening in the rail is what's causing the issues, it's temps inside the cylinder from the tweaks that are happening in the program. Any time that you're advancing your timing you have a longer/more complete burn of fuel in cylinders than was designed and programmed from factory, so your cylinder temps are going to be higher. Whether it's enough to do damage on these cars, I'm not sure. I like to run my truck in "fun" mode, but as soon as I hook something up to it, it goes into grandpa tow mode. I can also control a lot that happens with my foot and since it's a handshaker, I choose the RPM's everything happens at.

At the end of the day though it's down to personal preference. Where money allows, I usually spend it on the supporting mods first and usually that includes the gauges for troubleshooting/monitoring the system. For these cars, boost, egt, fuel pressure, oil pressure. If you're running an auto, maybe a transmission temp. But I'm not sure how many people are trusting an auto to push a heavily modded TDI :)

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
Krash, where is the 'fun mode' lever/button/screw on a VE? I looked all over and all I found was the Power screw that is for some reason missing its limiting collar now... :)
cheers,
Douglas

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Unplugged my drive cam for the long weekend. Now let's see if I have to jump start it Monday.... Smh.

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
Nero, You would be better off measuring voltage a few times a day. Draining a lead-acid battery far enough to require a jump gives them PTSD and shortens their life.
cheers,
Douglas

Mozambiquer

TDI
Unplugged my drive cam for the long weekend. Now let's see if I have to jump start it Monday.... Smh.
I want to set my drive cam up on the ignition switch, since the lighter socket stays on all the time. I also have to relocate where it's mounted so I can mount my lights.

Rapid Transit

Veteran Member
TDI
03 4dr Golf GLS
So, received harness for fog lights and and wired it up. Everything is swell except the euroswitch I’ve been using for 2 years is crap and fogs remain on with switch off. Oh, one of the h3 Hella bulbs I just received from Amazon will not light. To much time troubleshooting fubar equipment. I decided to have both upper and lower fogs come on together. New switch and bulbs ordered.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Completed the 400K mile service on my son's Golf. We've been doing this together for so long we need no discussion, and it takes way less than an hour.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
@everyone who asked, my drive cam is plugged into the cigarette outlet so it's alway powered. Luckily at the moment my battery is under warranty, I've had it replaced once. If my battery is still good after this extended weekend that makes it an easy diagnosis.

Being a mechanic for a living... I have a handful of portable jumpers, so getting my car running again isn't that much of a stress on me. Just irritating is all.

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
NarfBLAST - does your hatch just have DI with the turbo delete instead of TDI?
It probably should, and I did think about that, but it still says TDI...

Funny story tho: this is my second hatch, my first hatch is rusted around the window but its up in the loft above my shed and it says "TDICLUB.COM"

I also bought some chrome letters that say "BIODIESEL" but I haven't had access to that stuff in a long time.

I'm not sure who was selling them, but at one time some vender was offering every letter of the alphabet, so I went ahead and ordered "NARFBLAST" but never did stick those anywhere.

Anyway, back to the "DI"... I figured if it just said "DI" that most people (who noticed it) would think, "That is sad, his "T" fell off, and he did not replace it" which would be the furthest thing from the truth because I literally have and huge horde of chrome letters!!! How ironic would it be that the guy with the huge horde of chrome letters was perceived to be "missing" a letter on the back of his car? No, that would not do.

...BUT... I do have an "N" and an "A" which are a bit blocky and slightly larger than the stock "DI". If it would please the court, I would propose that my hatch could say "NADI"? I would happy to post a picture here, but I would give it at least 10 years before anyone spontaniously struck up a conversation about it in a parking lot or gas station.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
I'm always considering better lighting, but the midwest lighting solutions I didn't like - I felt like I was blinding people, even on low beams.

Anyone run these from ECS Tuning?

Were your Midwest lights projectors? From what I heard they do really good work. Any projector is going to have a better cutoff than a reflector housing. You can't argue that. If you're still blinding people with projectors, they are either aimed wrong, or you're on an incline and they are on a decline, vice versa, etc. That being said, most of the production drop in headlights that have projectors are garbage. They are meant for halogen bulbs (not HID's) and so if you try to run HID's in them it's not the best idea. If you'll be running a halogen in that projector, you're better off sticking with the stock halogen reflector housing. If you want a good set, have someone make you a set of dedicated projectors with a projector meant for HID's. You'll probably be dropping some coin unless you DIY. But I wouldn't pay that price from ECS for what you'll get.

@everyone who asked, my drive cam is plugged into the cigarette outlet so it's alway powered. Luckily at the moment my battery is under warranty, I've had it replaced once. If my battery is still good after this extended weekend that makes it an easy diagnosis.

Being a mechanic for a living... I have a handful of portable jumpers, so getting my car running again isn't that much of a stress on me. Just irritating is all.
Hey @Nero Morg, I was in the same boat when I installed mine. I didn't want to hard wire it in...I wanted to be able to power off or on at any time. I like that our lighter outlets are powered all the time for things like this. But I wanted the ability to cut power when parked for a long time at my house.

I found this on Amazon...it works great:

If you need it connected to power 24-7 for parking monitor, just keep it powered on. If you want to cut power, you can either cut power to the outlet that you're using for the cam via the side button, or you can kill power to the whole unit (usually what I do). I mounted it with some double sided tape on the passenger side of my center console where it would be out of the way. You could mount it on the driver side too.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I have a basic outlet splitter, didn't know they made ones with on/off buttons! I still might consider a switched power source for mine though, because having to remember to turn it on and off each time, I'm sure I'll forget.