What did you do to your MKIV today?

hey_allen

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
I finally found some time when the weather cooperated and was able to remove the aluminum injector seal washers that were stuck in my car's head.

A 6" long 3/8" lag bolt barely bites into the inner diameter, and popped them right out after giving it a slight twist beyond hand right, and then rocking it a little.

No apparent damage to the sealing surfaces below, and after cleaning, a set of copper washers sealed easily.

I found that my main leak wasn't the washers though.
After burping the injector lines, I found a beautiful arching stream of fuel from the end cap on the return hose fittings, landing on the air filter box...

Bobo4255

TDI
2003 Golf GLS TDI Manual
Over the last week or two I've finally committed to some functional and cosmetic refresh upfront;
- new passenger sideview mirror assembly, shell repainted to match
- repainted driver sideview shell to match
- new OEM grille painted to match
- TYC OEM style headlight housings (my old levelers had been broken for years in the originals)
- ECS fog kit and Euro-switch

Night driving is awesome again now that my headlights are pointed in the correct directly. Was pretty impressed with the product from Paintscratch, esp worth it was the 2k Clearcoat.

SB Stage 2 Endurance, 2.5" downpipe, and rear main seal going in today. Original clutch was starting to occasionally slip in 5th at 222k miles.

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
"Upper strut tie bar installed (hopefully this will help to prevent cracking windshields," Judson

Got some rough roads ehhhh, you'll like the way it tightens up the front end. I'll guess you have a skid plate as well,
the combination of top and bottom stiffening makes a big improvement IMO. With the Golf, I have an internal cabin brace as well, don't know if a Jetta needs it.
HI,

I was thinking it was psychological BUT I could feel a difference before and after the skid plate .... maybe it was stiffness but whatever it was it was a positive good feeling beyond just protecting the oil pan.

Anyways, if a top brace is helpful as well , what brand do you use ? I may give it a try too !

Thanks

Andrew

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
"maybe it was stiffness but whatever it was it was a positive good feeling beyond just protecting the oil pan." Andrew

Chassis flex reduction. The problem with monocoque construction. Everything is tied together to reduce weight,
one corner of the car hits a bump and the movement is carried through the whole car, everything flexes to adjust
to the stress. Judson, and people who offroad and race our vehicles, break windshields because there isn't a whole lot
holding the front of the cabin together other than the windshield. I've got an internal bar as well running athwartships from the upper rear seat belt mount points in my Golf. I suspect the bigger box that is the wagon would benefit as well.

It's a subtle improvement, but incrementally it adds up. No brand name on the upper front tower tie bar I got off Ebay years ago. But the concept is simple enough, some plates bolted through the top of the strut mounts and a bar welded across between the two. Mine has an adjustment in the middle, a double ended l/r threaded stud. Someone like Millenium Falcon who fabricates light bar mounts could make one I'm sure. A couple jigs, a mig welder and a bit of
pipe bending and you're off to the races. You can just make out where I had to hog out a bit of the plastic wiring protector on the port side, and how the plate has to be cut to accomadate the hood/bonnet lift strut mount.

Last edited:

Midwesthick

Veteran Member
TDI
A3, GSW, 02-Golf
Had the top 2 seals of the injection pump resealed at Diesel Land. My pump finally has no diesel coming out of it 👍

Startup is a little slower now. I’ll have to keep an eye on that.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Jump started my car the second time in seven days... Now my door locks won't unlock with the fob, but the lights blink. Stupid CCM. Pretty sure my drive cam is killing my battery over the weekend.

STDOUBT

Veteran Member
TDI
dos jettas
^That thing should have a sleep mode.

I garaged my '03 today. fuel pump is sucking air from somewhere.
Really hope it's not the seals, I just changed the 3 likely suspects back in May.
Have a CAT filter kit going in by this weekend. Purists will scoff, but that thermo-t
is a freaking dunsel! (really hope it's just the thermo-t)

Hawkins2015

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Jetta , 00 Jetta
Here's one for you.

I'll start by stating that when my cylinder head coolant flange had to be replaced a couple months ago, I filled the system with distilled water. I planned to use this as a "flush" and then drain and refill with proper coolant mix. Just haven't done it yet.

On my drive in to work this morning, about 30 minutes or so, my ultragauge goes off for high coolant temp. I have it set to alarm at 205F. Now last night was the coldest yet so far this winter. Thermometer at house said 24F. I didn't have any problems starting and the first part of my drive. After the alarm went off, I pulled over and popped the hood to check things. Temp got up to 208 or so. Expansion tank was at proper level, no obvious leaks. Go back in and the car had cooled off back down to 195. The rest of the drive was followed by any hills resulting in 208-212.

Since I replaced my thermostat some time ago, this car normally stays right at 188-194 regardless of conditions. My first obvious thought is that something is freezing up. I wouldn't think that the thermostat area is of any concern, being so close to the engine.

I'm betting that the radiator is freezing up and not letting coolant flow, just figured I'd share with all of you wise folks.

TDIGAZ

Veteran Member
TDI
Current: 2003 Jetta GLS Grey 5 spd. Previous: 2003 Jetta GLS Silver 5 spd (lost in a collision)
Jump started my car the second time in seven days... Now my door locks won't unlock with the fob, but the lights blink. Stupid CCM. Pretty sure my drive cam is killing my battery over the weekend.
Nero try this fix.
It happened to me a few years ago, and just using the passenger door inside unlock/lock button did the reset for me

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
What an interesting fix... I'll have to try it. If not I'll just disconnect the battery momentarily, seems to resolve any CCM issues I have.

TDIGAZ

Veteran Member
TDI
Current: 2003 Jetta GLS Grey 5 spd. Previous: 2003 Jetta GLS Silver 5 spd (lost in a collision)
What an interesting fix... I'll have to try it. If not I'll just disconnect the battery momentarily, seems to resolve any CCM issues I have.
Found the fix...just had to unlock/lock the doors on the passengers side using passengers side switch. Remote now will unlock them.
Just to clarify... ^^^^^, is what worked for me.

hey_allen

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
I finally located a slow coolant leak that had been getting worse in the last week.
It turned out that the hose connection to the heater core closest to the passenger side had a failing o-ring, which was easily visible once I had the connection disconnected.
It looks like someone forced the connector together somewhere in the past, and the only saving grace was that it had twisted the o-ring enough that the damaged portion was turned away from the sealing surfaces until recently.

A bit of searching here turned up the o-ring size, and a dab of silicone o-ring and seal lubrication kept it from having any snagging issues when I installed the o-ring in to the connector and reconnecting the joint.

VW wants $22.xx for the connector, while the o-ring is >$1 if you have to buy one instead of already having an assortment.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Did you ever get your turbo replaced, or are you still n/a slow mobile?

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
I used @gmenounos sweet software to read the skc on my 2002 Jetta wagon. Sadly reprogramming the keys didn't fix the immobilizer issue... On to more diagnostics!

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
My son saw this in his '02 Golf today:

Unlike my Wagon, lots of this car is original. Drivetrain is all original including the turbo and IP. We replaced the front fenders a couple years ago and the rockers aren't perfect, but it still runs great. He says he suspects this will be the best car he'll ever own.

CableJockey

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS
'02 Golf:
Yesterday, brakes.
Replaced seized e-brake cables; rotors (which required drilling the screws and using a tap to clean the hub threads), pads, and hardware on all four corners; brake fluid change (excluding clutch, it got late and I lost motivation)

Today, replacing door-latch micro-switches, all doors (while fixing some broken wires within the accordion boots), and trying to slow the boost/exhaust leaks from the trashy generic turbo the PO installed. (He is a dealership "technician"... Still dumb-founding to me, considering all the BS repairs I've ran across on this car. For some reason, I feel if anyone would understand the benefits of quality parts and correct methods, it would be someone in his position.)
The switches I found were super easy to replace and fit perfectly, however, the rear doors were a huge PITA to get the latch-mechanism out... BUT, my interior lights, accessory power, etc. all work correctly now, so it was worth the effort!
The POS turbo is a lost cause (It is crazy slow to spool, about 2 full seconds, and whistles/gurgles on boost, but luckily doesn't seem to be directly leaking oil. It just pukes ccv oil everywhere!), tightening the housing bolts only seemed to make it worse, if anything... Waiting on funds to replace it, hoping it doesn't detonate before then....

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Today I successfully programmed keys using the skc reader that Greg made! I went from car to car reading the skc... Makes me want to order more key fobs for my other cars. That's one of the next things on the list.

STDOUBT

Veteran Member
TDI
dos jettas
^ My local trusted mechanic told me he programmed his and his Wife's keys to operate their own cars, AND the others' cars!
Now that's fancy.

Tonight I got to install my Dietzl mod (w/CAT filter), and though I have not road tested yet, it primed super easy.
I just want the air to go away forever.

Stupendous60

Veteran Member
TDI
In my 2002- brake booster, brake master, clutch master an clutch slave which was the only one not leaking.....

Judson

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Some quick feedback on the Koni FSDs (aka special actives): like Koni Reds but better bump absorption. So better ride, just as good or better handling. Running them with newish (several years?) stock springs.

03TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
01' NB, 5spd
New to me 01' NB 5 spd with 220K miles, just bought it yesterday. Not enjoying how tight things are under the hood. Worse than our PT Cruiser.

Going through the car:
- new air filter
- vent-ectomy

- fixed the fuel door release cable. Original was SOLIDLY jammed. No amount of light oil would free it up. Started looking at my road bikes and figured I could replace the cable with a shifter cable. Ends up I only needed to replace the inner cable. I was able to uncrimp the motor end of the original to re-use that, then pulled the old cable through. It was rusted mid-span and the diameter expanded to jam it all up. Blew alcohol and oil through the old housing - nice and clean. Bought a Shimano shifter cable and sanded the end to the size needed (note: Campagnolo cable probably would have fit without sanding). Carefully determined the length needed and crimped the old end on. Works like new!

NMO mount on order - will be drilling the roof for a dual band antenna.

Last edited:

RexNICO

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Tiguan, 2011 Q7
(Yesterday) helped my Brother load it onto a trailer. It is gone, as of today.

This is the first time in 7+ years I have not had an MKIV wagon.

Now what to do with all the (non-engine) spare parts??

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Yesterday I picked up complete leather seats both front and back for my golf and......yes the fronts are heated!
Gonna have my heated seat back !!!!...soooo looking forward to install them.

Rapid Transit

Veteran Member
TDI
03 4dr Golf GLS
Finally got around to installing the glass headlights lens. Figured I’d also wire in the fogs and why not add additional fogs down below. Well, UPS broke my heart by delaying the factory headlamp fog harness. Bulbs are in, lower fogs are wired and tested but I plan to tap into the headlamp fog light harness at the euro switch. I think it should be relatively easy to complete when the harness arrives. Anyone know why there are two positions (pull) on the Euro switch, rear fogs? Anyone know pinout numbers on switch? I understand pin 8 is for fogs. Is pin 9 for 2nd set of fogs? Would be cool if I could control fogs separate.

gratuitous pictures

Last edited: