What did you do to your MKIV today?

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
Mythbusters did an episode on that. Proved they all were not very effective. I have an idea. Don't speed? ;)
I wonder if an active slave flash system could work .... like the ones pro photographers use ... the main flash is on the camera and when its flash goes off the auxillary flash units fire practically simultaneously to fill in light etc... of course there is that very brief lag still .... high tech countermeasures! ;-)

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
." I have an idea. Don't speed? " Nero Morg

Say whaaaaaaaaat??????? Sheesh even around here, people are up your a$$ flashing lights and beeping if you're "only"
doing the speed limit. Hit the big urban centers and you get runned over.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
." I have an idea. Don't speed? " Nero Morg

Say whaaaaaaaaat??????? Sheesh even around here, people are up your a$$ flashing lights and beeping if you're "only"
doing the speed limit. Hit the big urban centers and you get runned over.
Not speeding is a good idea, but yeah people are stupid! I was driving i70 and I was going 5 over and people were getting mad at me... I try to not let it bother me.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Pandemic MA highway speeds have skyrocketed. Speed limit on the highway I use for my commute is 60 MPH. At peak (or what passes for peak) times the left lane now runs at 80-85. I regularly drive the Mass Pike and on one particular 30 mile long section the middle lane runs at 85-90. Cops don't seem to care. Glad I got a taller 5th gear earlier this year!

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
We have two flavors of drivers here. The ones that go roughly 5 over, or the ones completely oblivious on the road who are face timing while driving and are slow to accelerate and only go 15 under.
Sure there's the occasional bmw/Mercedes that goes 100+ but they're far and few between.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
Pandemic MA highway speeds have skyrocketed. Speed limit on the highway I use for my commute is 60 MPH. At peak (or what passes for peak) times the left lane now runs at 80-85. I regularly drive the Mass Pike and on one particular 30 mile long section the middle lane runs at 85-90. Cops don't seem to care. Glad I got a taller 5th gear earlier this year!
Ahh the Mass Pike. Basically cut my teeth on driving on that damn thing. Being from Alaska and having all my family in Mass., I spent a summer there for my senior project and was my first experience driving real highway situations. It was insane. Come to think of it, it was in a MKIV (or Maybe V) Jetta...but wasn't a TDI.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
The Pike is interesting, especially near Boston.

Today IBW got a 20K service, for the 21st time:

I think I've got the routine down!

I also replaced the front brakes. The caliper guide pins were pretty jammed up and although I freed them up a couple months ago, the inside pads had worn faster then the outsides, so I put on new pads and rotors. And I did get 130K miles out of the set I just removed.

Mozambiquer

TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
I just got a set of Michelin tires and steelies for my golf. The aftermarket 18" inch rims I have are making a pretty bad vibration and the tires are about worn out. I'm planning to get some bbs rims, but need something cheap to get me by until I get the good rims and fix them up.
Also the other day, I drove my golf to Kansas city. Rush hour traffic was no problem at all. It was actually kinda fun. 😀

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
Mozambiquer,
What diameter are your "steelies"? Personally I'm a fan of 16" rims, too bad you're not closer, I've got a set of 16" NB
rims that might be just the ticket for ya'. I can guarantee those 18" rims are bent.

Mozambiquer

TDI
Mozambiquer,
What diameter are your "steelies"? Personally I'm a fan of 16" rims, too bad you're not closer, I've got a set of 16" NB
rims that might be just the ticket for ya'. I can guarantee those 18" rims are bent.
They are 16"NB wheels. The same guy had a really nice set of 18" beetle 12 spoke alloys with brand new tires, but I'm wanting to get away from the 18"s

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
In my not so humble opinion, I find even 17" rims a bit harsh. If you've got some decent Michelins on those steelies,
I'm not surprised you're enjoying them. Great selection of tires and pricing on 16"R. I've got a set of 16" Le Castellet
that have been painted black and a very nice set of the Santa Monicas.

On the car is an unobtanium set of XXIO racing wheels, dropped ~4#s a wheel when they went on, what a difference in handling! I lust after the Enkei RFP1s at <14#s a rim, but can't justify nearly a grand $ to shave an additional couple pounds.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I have a set of 16" Motegi Tracklites that are forged, not cast, 16x7.5, 12 lbs. each. They have (old) slicks on them, I've never run them on the street. I keep thinking I'll put them on the Golf sometime but haven't yet. With the slicks the wheel/tire combo was 32 lbs. with 225/50-16s on them. Also no longer available.

hey_allen

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
I finally got around to installing the set of sprint 520 injectors in my car, and adjusted the IQ down (up?) Into the 5-6 range.
It's much happier now, rather than the 1.2 it was running before hammer adjustment was done.

That said, I wasn't able to get the old injector washers out of the head.
The last set that I used were aluminum, (when I pulled the 520 injectors due to a broken spring) and seem to have bonded with the head. I couldn't get any of them to budge.
I finally gave up and tapped the injectors into place with a drift to seat them against the old set of seal washers, and they appear to be sealed at the moment...

edit:
I forgot to mention polishing the headlights yesterday as well.
3M headlight kit that I lucked into at Goodwill for $10, plus a can of Meguiar's headlight clear coat.
Just by accident I managed to find a trick to make the polish kit last FAR longer than 3M's instructions suggest it's supposed to.
Keep rinsing the headlight and sand paper free of the plastic being sanded off. That's it.
I have a misting sprayer that I had filled up with distilled water for a tint project I haven't gotten around to yet, and just kept pumping it up and misting the headlight lenses clean after every pass or two with the sanding discs. I never clogged or wore out the first 500 grit disc, and I don't think I really wore out the first 800 grit disc either.
The final step with the polish compound only uses a tiny bit of the package, so that was just stored in a zip close bag for another use in the future (though I might resort to Novus plastic polish if the 3M stuff dries up.)

The whole process did make a HUGE mess, slinging splatters of plastic dust all over the area, some even landed on my windshield.
Masking off with trash bags worked to protect the hood and grill near the lights, but the splatters were far beyond where I though they would spray.

Last edited:

mjydrafter

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Just a note: an ALH crank position sensor will work in a BEW for troubleshooting no start, but it will lead to some other interesting problems if you leave it in and forget about it...

(Car ran fine, but was acting "out of fuel" at ~3800-4000 rpms). It finally threw a CPS code and the light bulb of my mind went off.:mad:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Both MIVs got washed this weekend so they look nice in the garage, along with my poor underused MKVII lurking in the corner.

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
Birth of the American Autobahn ! ;-)

Jard

TDI
99.5 Jetta
So my Jetta when I bought it from the original owner. 189k miles. And they did not really take care of her. TB was sitting at 126k miles. Oil leaks every where. Filters clogged. EGR clogged. Intake clogged. T stat stuck open. Temp sensor bad (it was actually broken on the connector side.). Brakes were metal on metal, and rotors were beyond warped. Vacuum lines frayed and split all over. The interior is falling apart, literally the factory stereo face has been falling button by button into the center consul.

I have fix or repaired all the mechanical parts, and wow does she run much better. I just did a mufflerectomy this morning, and I can actually feel more power after 3k rpm. Before she would just kind of hit a resistance, still rev but it just took more effort.
I have been reading a lot of posts on basics to replace, and check. You guys are awesome! Thank you for your insight. And keep up the great work.

Also, I would love to see an American Autobahn! That would be fun!

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
IBW returns to the twin tip OEM exhaust and rear valance.
Yes, it did, earlier this year. The resonator had died on my 2.5" system, the downpipe flex didn't have a lot of life left in it, and we were having trouble getting new flex pipes. So I threw in the towel and put on a 2" downpipe with no cat and a stock system from there back. No change in performance that I can detect, and the car is so much quieter on long drives. And I still had the OE valence!

Mozambiquer

TDI

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
The only time I've run into issues programming keys was hitting a cluster that was the Bosch/Motometer RB8 - VagTacho wouldn't/couldn't read the PIN, even after leaving the app running to get the "second key" (or whatever the terminology was). Every other time...just a few minutes.

Midwesthick

Veteran Member
TDI
A3, GSW, 02-Golf
I changed out the mounts in the dog bone. Super easy to do and made a significant difference in shifting. Took a lot of the loose play out of my stick shift.

Went with BFI stage 1 mounts for reference 👍

Judson

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Well, got ny car back from the shop. Drilled/slotted rotors up front now. Right rear caliper replaced. Upper strut tie bar installed (hopefully this will help to prevent cracking windshields, of which I’ve hard four in five years).

Plus complete suspension refresh with Koni FSDs. These are like Koni Reds but better in every way. Absorb bumps MUCH better. Still using (newish) stock spring for a better ride.

Was referred to a place in Fort Collins and in the next week or so will drop off the car for the welding/install of the 1752. They work on old British cars so you know for sure they are expert welders and fabricators!

Midwesthick

Veteran Member
TDI
A3, GSW, 02-Golf
Well, got ny car back from the shop. Drilled/slotted rotors up front now. Right rear caliper replaced. Upper strut tie bar installed (hopefully this will help to prevent cracking windshields, of which I’ve hard four in five years).

Plus complete suspension refresh with Koni FSDs. These are like Koni Reds but better in every way. Absorb bumps MUCH better. Still using (newish) stock spring for a better ride.

Was referred to a place in Fort Collins and in the next week or so will drop off the car for the welding/install of the 1752. They work on old British cars so you know for sure they are expert welders and fabricators!
what place to you use in Fort Collins? We have a guy named Anuthee at Diesel Land who is truly epic at these TDI’s down here in Golden.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
"Upper strut tie bar installed (hopefully this will help to prevent cracking windshields," Judson

Got some rough roads ehhhh, you'll like the way it tightens up the front end. I'll guess you have a skid plate as well,
the combination of top and bottom stiffening makes a big improvement IMO. With the Golf, I have an internal cabin brace as well, don't know if a Jetta needs it.

Judson

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
what place to you use in Fort Collins? We have a guy named Anuthee at Diesel Land who is truly epic at these TDI’s down here in Golden.
High Mountain Classic.
I visited the guy down in Golden once. The problem is that I need a ride down to drop it off and another to pick it up, so to impose on friends - well, it’s just too far to Golden.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Last Monday(9th) did oil change, along with fuel,oil,and air filters. I also purchased some Bridgestone Blizzak WS80's from Walmart for about $75 each. I installed them myself then took them to tire shop to have balanced. They informed me one of the wheels was bent. It's one for the right side, so I put it on rear. Didn't notice much wobble when I spun it while it was on car, and I don't feel anything driving. If I put it on front and notice anything, I'll just get a different wheel on ebay and change it out. Filled up today and was 47.7 mpg, still not bad for being a 4spd still....