What did you do to your MKIV today?

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
What size double dins fit our cars? Also did you originally have the dash pocket? I have the dash pocket and a single din in there now (originally had a Monsoon) so I'm guessing I need to delete the dash pocket and use an install kit, but my searching has come up empty. One install I watched a video on said you need a canbus adapter for the MKIV, when I installed my Kenwood I certainly didn't...
DIN is a standard,
From PC Magaine-
A DIN radio (single DIN) measures 2x7", while a double DIN measures 4x7". When factory radio/CD players are replaced with after market units, the DIN standard ensures compatibility; however, new or altered dashboard trim may be required. See DIN and DIN connector.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
DIN is a standard,
From PC Magaine-
A DIN radio (single DIN) measures 2x7", while a double DIN measures 4x7". When factory radio/CD players are replaced with after market units, the DIN standard ensures compatibility; however, new or altered dashboard trim may be required. See DIN and DIN connector.
Yeah but there's a lot of not so standard android units out there if you look. I think they have the general overall pocket size, but some now look like below, with the stumpy backside (good thing as far as space).
So I'm wondering how this would get converted to our cars, ie if a standard double din install kit would work to hold this unit:

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
I installed a similar unit into my wife's nms, using the standard double din mounting hardware it all lined up with the screw holes and is secure. Usually the mounting kits come with 2-3 rails for different versions of mounting screws.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
I installed a similar unit into my wife's nms, using the standard double din mounting hardware it all lined up with the screw holes and is secure. Usually the mounting kits come with 2-3 rails for different versions of mounting screws.
NMS? Not familiar with that term.

I was looking at this install kit:

I'm assuming that android unit would just use the brackets it comes with to mount to the kit above, then that whole kit would slide into the dash and clip in place...

Then again I don't know if anything extra is involved in mounting the linked kit into the version that has the pocket above the radio...I know that pocket comes out easy just not sure if I need to take the whole dash out for this adventure. My truck was wicked easy

300D

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6
What size double dins fit our cars? Also did you originally have the dash pocket? I have the dash pocket and a single din in there now (originally had a Monsoon) so I'm guessing I need to delete the dash pocket and use an install kit, but my searching has come up empty. One install I watched a video on said you need a canbus adapter for the MKIV, when I installed my Kenwood I certainly didn't...
Crutchfield is most excellent where it comes to fitment and necessary bits to make it fit. You can enter your model and it will show you radios that fit and will also point you toward install parts.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
Crutchfield is most excellent where it comes to fitment and necessary bits to make it fit. You can enter your model and it will show you radios that fit and will also point you toward install parts.
Crutchfield has a terrible search interface. I was on there this morning and couldn't even find an install kit for our cars. I entered the make and model and it was bringing up parts for Hondas....
I found that Metra one on Amazon in a matter of minutes.

As well, Crutchfield doesn't deal with Android based head units, so they aren't going to be any help there. If you're just going for a run of the mill Kenwood deck or something like that (which I have in the car already) they are ok for that.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NMS? Not familiar with that term.
Nms is the 7th Gen passat used here in the states. The adapter is just a generic double din insert, then there's three sets of holes to screw in a single or double din head unit. Have a similar one in my car.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
Nms is the 7th Gen passat used here in the states. The adapter is just a generic double din insert, then there's three sets of holes to screw in a single or double din head unit. Have a similar one in my car.
Gotcha thanks I don't know any of the newer gen stuff. I think I know which direction I'm going to go in if I do the conversion.
Android 10.0 HU, Metra Installation adapter, external mic (will have to get creative on this) and I'll have to wire in a controller that will play nice with the HU so I can operate volume on my steering wheel (my car came with a single din Monsoon so everything is a bit different)

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Give axxess adapters a look, they can maintain steering wheel controls, regardless of din size the car originally was. Just about as plug and play as they can get.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
Give axxess adapters a look, they can maintain steering wheel controls, regardless of din size the car originally was. Just about as plug and play as they can get.
I should mention (I may not have) that I don't have any steering wheel controls OEM. So that's why I need to get creative
I just did pull the trigger on an Android 10.1 HU

Here's the list of other things I got for the install:

I already purchased an adapter for my Kenwood install, I'll probably just cut that off the Kenwood plug and wire it in to the Android HU plug.

Or I might be able to make the standard ISO plugs that come with the HU work with my car.
My Golf doesn't have that funky locking connector that I see in almost every VW with the Monsoon system. It also isn't turned on by any canbus box that I've seen either:

It's got these 3 plugs shown below:

If I recall the blue one is just for the CD changer. I yanked that about 6 years ago but kept the wiring in place...because I can hook the "amp" out wire on my HU to the hot of that plug, and it runs to the back of the car where the changer USED to be. I then cut that CD hot wire and added a bit of length, it now provides switched power for the relay that controls the constant power that used to be going to the Monsoon (Ie that constant hot to the amp is now switched power via the CD changer "trigger" wire.). Just had to cut the thick red wire running to the amp and connect the appropriate sides to the relay terminals. So now the amp can't draw any power if the HU is off.

Nice thing about no more CD changer is I can just cut the connections off that bundle of wire, and it gives me really easy ways to move power from the front to the back of the car in the future.

Last edited:

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
I could be wrong but I thought all the double din radios were the same height & width.
Not sure about depth.

I bought a Kenwood DNX571HD multimedia w/ NAV.
It is double din.
Got it from Best Buy clearance with a few parts missing but so cheap even after buying the missing stuff it was a great deal.

Got the dash install kit from Best Buy also.
Metra 99-9011. All plastic.

Took it out when I sold my 03 GSW and just about have it finished installing it in my 14 JSW.
Much better sound then the RCD 510 VW radio.

Bought the adapter cables from Crutchfield this time.
Was well worth it. :)

Last part, I still have to install the Sirius radio unit.
Not sore if the VW antenna will plug into it directly or not.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It won't, you'll have to get an adapter to convert it from the vw connector to a generic universally used antenna. Depending on the year of car (like yours) you'll need the powered amplified adapter. They're like $7

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
It won't, you'll have to get an adapter to convert it from the vw connector to a generic universally used antenna. Depending on the year of car (like yours) you'll need the powered amplified adapter. They're like $7
I see what you mean.
I just opened the Sirius adapter I bought.
Tiny antenna plug.
It does have a small square antenna that sits on the top of the dash but I already have a similar GPS antenna there.
Don't want to attract to much attention to them.

Will have to call Crutchfield for the correct part#.
Thanks. :)

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Replaced the vss on this lady's mkiv wagon I take care of. One of the pins snapped off. Luckily I have a complete 01m in my shed to steal a sensor off of

Fahrvegnugen

Veteran Member
TDI
01 golf 1.9 alh gls silver
Replaced egr valve yesterday that has been spewing all over the timing belt and valve covers. Here is how the egr cooler is looking...

Should I just run it?

Tonight I checked out the new egr valve and noticed great volumes of air blowing towards the firewall. Is this normal on a properly function egr valve?

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
There shouldn't be any 'air' blown out from the egr valve or the piping. As for your cooler, it does look like it's sooted up pretty good, I'd pull it off and clean it.

Fahrvegnugen

Veteran Member
TDI
01 golf 1.9 alh gls silver
Thanks! I think it an occasion for acquiring stubby tools. I fear fouling up the upside down egr bolt install may have occurred, and could be the culprit of the errant ‘air’.

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
Ordered HVAC blower and fan resistor pack from idParts yesterdady - my blower is only running intermittently and when it does, it makes noises that indicate a bearing/bushing failure in progress (after 19 years/417K miles, probably not surprising). Found a youtube video that shows it's not the nightmare job I feared it would be.

Probably don't need the resistor pack, but since I have to go through it to get the blower out, it could have been "overstressed" by the failing blower, and it's only $20, why the heck not and save myself the trouble of going back in there again later...

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
Replaced the vss on this lady's mkiv wagon I take care of. One of the pins snapped off. Luckily I have a complete 01m in my shed to steal a sensor off of
My "new" VSS that I put in when I did my clutch failed right before the weekend. Luckily my OEM was fine and I put it back in and have a speedo back

hey_allen

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Probably don't need the resistor pack, but since I have to go through it to get the blower out, it could have been "overstressed" by the failing blower, and it's only $20, why the heck not and save myself the trouble of going back in there again later...
I agree with your assessment on the "while you're at it" replacing the resistor.
I replaced the fan in my car due to intermittent running, but found some large cracks in the resistor's coating, so it was replaced with a good used one from my parts stash.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Funny thing happened today: I received a call from our local VW dealer to let me know I had an open recall on my "Sportwagen." I assumed she was calling about the 2015, but no, it was for the brake light switch on IBW. Why is VW following up on an open recall on an 18 year old car? What are the odds that they would even reach the current owner? As an aside, I don't think I've ever replaced the brake light switch on that car.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
I remember a recall on my hazard switch I never had done. I wonder if they'll call me about that? Maybe not - I've moved a lot more times since I've owned my Golf than you have, Peter!

Anyway, today I fixed my horn that was screaming incessantly just before I pulled over out of traffic and pulled the fuse. I don't know why it did that - I could see no fault. I also checked the little connector between the steering wheel airbag that came apart when I adjusted the steering wheel. I had replaced the standard 4 spoke with a 3 spoke a while back, but installed it a tooth off. The angle was driving me batty, but when I fixed it, I messed up that cable. When I got it all back together, the airbag light lit. So when I checked the horn, I also checked the plug. Looks like I put it back together correctly, and was able to use my VCDS to reset the light. A test drive showed it to be fixed. And replacing the fuse allowed me to check the horn and be puzzled as to what failed in the first place.

The other thing I fixed was a bounce steer that was making me extremely uneasy. It was introduced when I installed new springs. I found that I had neglected to properly tighten the front control arm bushing bolts. So everything is hunky-dory. Well, almost. I still have to replace the large radiator fan and finish recharging my a/c. Since it got cooler up here, it isn't quite the urgency it was last week. Probably be seeing you tomorrow, Peter. I only have about 2 weeks before the urgency will return because I'll abandon the bridge for better digs down south.

Cheers,

PH

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Did you remove the negative battery terminal before pulling the airbag (which you should always do, of course)? I wonder if having the airbag out, even with the car never turned on, causes an airbag light (?).
(Full disclosure: I did just that (didn't remove battery terminal) the other day and got the airbag light, which went away as soon as I reset it with VCDS.)

benmarks

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS Sedan Platinum Gray
This just arrived from Poland, a brushed aluminum armrest handle. A guy there makes them for various Audi/VW armrests and sells them on eBay. This is the one that fits the VW "telephone" armrest (which is basically an Audi-style armrest on a VW mount,) but he makes the standard VW MK4 width too:

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Funny thing happened today: I received a call from our local VW dealer to let me know I had an open recall on my "Sportwagen." I assumed she was calling about the 2015, but no, it was for the brake light switch on IBW. Why is VW following up on an open recall on an 18 year old car? What are the odds that they would even reach the current owner? As an aside, I don't think I've ever replaced the brake light switch on that car.
A buddy of mine has a 2002 golf and he's been getting letters in the mail for the same recall, guess it only applies to those who never had it done?

MK4 WAGN

TDI
05 MK4 Jetta Wagon TDI Manual 160K km, 03 MK4 Jetta Wagon TDI Manual 162K KM, MK4 Jetta TDI Manual 380K KM, MK5 Jetta TDI DSG 480K km, ( MK2 GTI 8v Tornado Red *sold but not forgotten)
Put a small crack in the front bumper of my MK4 while swapping winter tires for the MK5...

smh

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
Replaced the serpentine belt tensioner on the Jetta, ~350k miles and was the original one as far as I can remember. The damper was loose, could wiggle it around 1/4" or so and there was a random rattling noise that I'm guessing/hoping was the tensioner pulley itself. It was not loose that I could feel, but has a nice rattle to it when you spin it. Still spins free and will spin for a good 10+ seconds if you give it a twist.

Not a particularly bad job (3 bolts), but in a really tight spot so makes it a PITA. Hope it fixes the noise!

300D

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6
Crutchfield has a terrible search interface. I was on there this morning and couldn't even find an install kit for our cars. I entered the make and model and it was bringing up parts for Hondas....
I found that Metra one on Amazon in a matter of minutes.

As well, Crutchfield doesn't deal with Android based head units, so they aren't going to be any help there. If you're just going for a run of the mill Kenwood deck or something like that (which I have in the car already) they are ok for that.
Odd. On the left side of their search you can select Android, and then it will give you every head unit that has android capability. They currently list 38 head units in stock with Android Auto compatibility that fit the MKIVs. There is a link on the listing of every head unit to everything you will need to install that unit. Not sure what went wrong with your search. I find Crutchfield a pretty trusty resource for all things audio.

I am glad you found something you are looking for though. Best of luck with install, sounds like a nice upgrade.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Today I drove my golf nice and hard... I use it as a first responder response vehicle. It's sure cut down on my response time. Today there was an accident--BMW vs tow truck. I haven't put my lights on it yet, that will help get the slow drivers out of the way.