What did you do to your MKIV today?

TDI
2002 1.9L Jetta TDI
I used to work in a tire/exhaust/alignment shop but forget the big tank, all you need is a liquid solution that bubbles when sprayed on the leak. Much more space efficient than a large tank of water, especially when it comes to tractor tires ?
Oops. I just realized that's what you were replying about. I think it's my bedtime

carl20320

TDI
2004 Mk4 Golf GLS TDI 5spd
Approximately how hard was that to install
We had the bumper cover off replacing the core support and installing my VX Tuning headlights so it was really pretty easy. It is harder finding the horns than anything else. My son found a spot he was able to bolt them up in pairs to. I made a couple wiring harnesses so that the VW harness split into the two connectors that came with the horns. IN all, it probably only added about 20-30 minutes to the entire job.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Just got back from a 3300+ mile trip to Florida and back. With the repairs, things were going great, until I found that my repair to the compressor wasn't going so well. That was followed up by what looks to be a failure of the clutch. I'm throwing in the towel and just installing a new compressor. Unfortunately, I don't see the OEM compressor for sale anywhere, and ordered a Nissen. There's some foreboding in there knowing that it isn't going to be as good as the OEM Sanden. Does anyone know where to get one?

In other news, having the a/c out is really inconvenient when you're in the middle of a tropical rain storm, too bloody hot to not have windows open a slice and the fan in the hvac going, but the windscreen fogging. It is devilishly difficult to see because of the 2+ inch per hour rain rate, and having the window fogging only makes it worse. I finally was able to pull off and apply some anti-fog to the inside of the front windscreen, and that helped a lot. If you don't already know, that anti-fog is also called detergent, and my choice was a dab of clear shampoo because that is what I had. Dishwashing liquid also works well. If you read the labels closely, you will usually find out it is the same chemical anyway (usually sodium laurylsulfate or sodium laurethsulfate).

Also one thing learned: if you don't have the time or wherewithal to change those snow tires out for a long road trip, do it anyway. Snow tires at highway speeds will leave you abused and give you permanent hearing loss. Or at least, leave you really grumpy at the other end of your trip because of the noise induced headaches. Yuck!!

So now I find that I'm unsure again if my CV joint swap was completely successful. I'll have to check it out with some real road tires and see what is what. And I have found that the new Moog springs I installed have raised the Golf. Not really what I had in mind, but since there were very few choices available at the time, these are what I bought. I'll have to think about what I want in the end and see. I always have the option of installing these in the Jettachero and buying more appropriate springs for the Golf.

Anyway, for the next 2 months, I'm still trying to throw away stuff and move. Ugh, it is not fun at all. If you want some Mk IV wheels, Golf fenders, or some other stuff at giveaway prices, come get them.

Cheers,

PH

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
We used to stock the Sanden, put one in my Wagon a couple years ago, but I think they may be NLA. Nissens makes a good compressor, however, as does Valeo. Valeo was OE in a bunch of MKIV cars for compressors, alternators, and starters.

zaeli

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 golf 175k (totaled, sold) 2000 golf tdi 375k (Malone 1.5) 2002 green diesel bug
The 2002 green bug got towed over the river and to the shop 5.5mi, running rough. I was on a dirt road and scraped, let the tank get to E. Shop is busy and can’t look at it until next week. My friend and tree guy settled up with rent. I guess that’s spent. No codes, hopefully fuel filter and not TB.

Last edited:

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Changed out the noisy snows for some regular tires on a set of Hakkunamatta(sp?) wheels. Examined the take offs, and I think one of them wasn't even round anymore. No wonder they were so noisy and transmitted so much vibration. This different set is making my car act like it is brand new. Yay!

2003VW

TDI
2003 Jetta
Changed out my alternator last evening with help from Oliver Wegener. Actually Oliver did the job, he really knows what he's doing. Symptoms were alternator light was on although system voltage varied between 11.9 and 13.5. Belt damper was making strange noises although puller seemed to be good. I think the slip ring brushes were worn out. Anyway new alternator and problem and all symptoms are gone.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Valve body swap. Getting torque converter lockup faults. Ordered a cheapo Amazon special to get it by, it'll eventually be manual swapped. Already have the manual trans and such, but it's not my car, they're saving up for the clutch... And actually buying the trans from me.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
One crisp high five. And a free oil change!*

*oil change done in driveway at home, no mechanic travel.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,

Let's see if this works... This is the engine for my golf. It's getting close to ready to install.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
That's a negative on those photo links workin bud

Mozambiquer

TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
That's a negative on those photo links workin bud
That stinks... I hope we get Tapatalk back. I was trying the new forum upload. ?

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Message Derf then about it, he's been tracking these issues and trying to resolve them.

Mozambiquer

TDI

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
If you use a photo hosting service like Flickr, or even Google Photos, you can just post a link directly from there and they show up at least in some form.
For example, here's a Flickr URL (https:// flic.kr/p/2jE2MKS) - added a couple spaces after https:// so you can see what I was pasting.
https://flic.kr/p/2jE2MKS
Or Google photo (https:// photos.app.goo.gl/LFabgCSUU5mvP2UM7)

Jake_S

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW TDI/DSG; 05 Jetta Wagon auto (retired)
Ripped out the moldy carpet and under lament, cleaned out the 2+lbs of crap behind the driver wheel liner, found the water leak source, and replaced the injector harness.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well I get to wait for the car that I just did the valve body to show up.... The local Kroger filled her tank with gasoline.... Smh they need to do away with that stupid law.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Stock. 195-65/15s. That car is unstoppable. He's had it for 6 years, bought with 265K, now has almost 400K. Other than injectors all drivetrain is original. Original clutch replaced at 330K.

Corvairer

TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 360k miles and climbing
2003 Wagon 5spd ALH w/360k
Oil & filter change (Mann & Rot. T6 5W-40)
Drained separator
Drained I/C
Vacuum pump re-seal
Cleared snow screen
Trans drain & fill (2.3L Synchromesh, slightly overfilled for insurance)

Sunday I plan to replace the serp. belt and tensioner, and possibly do a diesel purge treatment. I was going to replace the filter as well, but I need to get a game plan together on replacing the rotted original fuel lines.