What did you do to your MKIV today?

hooville

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GLS, 2016 GTI, 2015 TDI Sportwagen S
Replaced both headlight wiring harnesses yesterday evening: opened up the driver's side to replace the high beam bulb last Saturday and there was a nice little pile of confetti and lots of bare wire! :eek:

Thanks again to Andrew & the gang over at TuneMyEuro for super fast shipping and a nice kit at a good price!

benmarks

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS Sedan Platinum Gray
Haven't installed it yet but found this new-old-stock rear spoiler kit on eBay. I didn't even know this existed. It's identical to the Wolfsburg and GLI spoilers and it comes with all the mounting hardware. Product number ZVW-353-003:

black_slug

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf
Slapped an aftermarket (GSP) on my '04 09A tranny. Keeping and ready to rebuild the oem with a new boot as the joint looks ok to me.

Cptcrnch

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI wagon; 2014 Golf TDI (buyback 7/26/17)
Technically yesterday but just now getting to post. Cleaned and vacuumed the interior (including disinfecting the interior), cleaned the windows, and washed the exterior. For just driving the car back and forth to work it's amazing how dirty it can get.

I also made an appointment to get the windows tinted again here in a few weeks. I had to pull previous tint off to pass my Maryland safety inspection and wasn't planning to put it back on. But this summer heatwave has made me rethink that (along with a failing AC system that probably needs a recharge before next summer) so ceramic tint is going back on to help with keeping the interior cool.

carl20320

TDI
2004 Mk4 Golf GLS TDI 5spd
Finally got around to replacing my core support and lower valence on the front bumper. While I was at it, I cleaned the intercooler & piping and replaced the seals. The new seals definitely made for a tighter fit when reassembling.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
Had my guru swap out my rear springs, went from my Golf Towing to Jetta
Wagon towing. Lifts the rear a good inch. After yet another midadventure
with the Jeep CRD's dreaded Chrysler auto transmission trying to tow my
small teardrop, we set out to Erie with the Golf. No problem with tackling
the Appalachians. With the heavy springs the car sits level and is rock solid
at 70-75.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Continued to wrestle with the wiring on retrofitting a MFSW to my 2003 Golf.
Consulted a couple threads here, at PassatWorld, read, re-read wiring diagrams from Bentley...everything has continuity, but still - no cruise. :(

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Continued to wrestle with the wiring on retrofitting a MFSW to my 2003 Golf.
Consulted a couple threads here, at PassatWorld, read, re-read wiring diagrams from Bentley...everything has continuity, but still - no cruise. :(
If you have VCDS available you can connect to the comfort control and see the inputs if they're working or not. I did the swap on mine and it's essentially wire for wire the same, just instead of going through the stalk it goes through the clock spring.

hey_allen

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Used my VCDS to diagnose a stumble/die at idle problem that's cropped up in the last couple of days.
Any time the RPM would drop to ~900, it would immediately just die.
Turning it off and cranking, then doing it again would get it started, but the first attempt after it died would only crank, not even attempt to fire up.

It appears that the MAF readings had drifted far enough, and were not responding to the changing air flow, and then causing it to stop erratically.

This morning I pulled the MAF and rinsed it out with some MAF cleaner a few times, and had the VCDS MAF readings go from the prior readings that offset ~200 mg/str at idle from the predicted number, and not responding to throttle movements; now it is tracking the commanded/computed value within 5mg/str and responding quickly to throttle movements.

It didn't give me any grief in the morning commute, so here's hoping it stays in good form, at least long enough to get a replacement MAF on hand.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Replaced my front right hand wheel bearing.......took a week to find which one it was....finally got an abs light and the wheel bearing was finally loose.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
In my hunt to convert my tails to all LED bulbs without molesting the factory harness, I came across these on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XP8153Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm running LED's for the reverse, running lights, 5th brake bulbs, and now turn signals thanks to the above. They got here today and work great, no hyperflash with the built in driver. The orange is nice and noticeable. Unfortunately they didn't make one in red/white or I would have gotten a set for the main brake light too, for testing.

I can run LED's on the 5th brake light because I'm still running a halogen for the main brake light, so the car doesn't even notice the LED bulb in the 5th brake light position.

I also have these on order to see if they will work for the "main" brake light bulb since they claim to have an integrated canbus:
https://www.amazon.com/KATUR-1156-B...506+Canbus+red+LED&qid=1594955732&sr=8-2&th=1

So Here's the list right now:
Rear Turn signals: (first link above)

Rear Running Light and 5th brake bulbs: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07W7HQPZF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Reverse Lights: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08311NZV7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Main brake light: (second link above, on order)

I'll report back with my finding on those bulbs if they work out in the main brake bulb position.

As well, the reverse light bulb has an option for red light too instead of white if you want to go that route (to use as running light/5th brake light):
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08311Y4LV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I purchased a couple sets of those for color testing to see if I like the color output better than the white through the red lens. They have an orange version, but you couldn't use those in the turn signals since there is no build in resistors/canbus in those.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Krash, if I'm reading the specs on the KATUR LEDs you could get all three colors right there. The load resistors are to prevent "hyper flash" IIRC, and since all three colors for the KATUR brand say【No hyper flash】then they should have the resistors built in the bulbs.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
Krash, if I'm reading the specs on the KATUR LEDs you could get all three colors right there. The load resistors are to prevent "hyper flash" IIRC, and since all three colors for the KATUR brand say【No hyper flash】then they should have the resistors built in the bulbs.
Correct, you could use the Katur ones for everything, provided they play nice with the car. Some built in resistor LEDs work, and some don't. Notice the LED array on the Katurs though. There is no projector lens on the end. I'm fond of that style of LED which is why I was on the hunt. Plus originally, this project was only supposed to be for reverse bulbs, so I was looking for the most output I could get with the best pattern available, those projectors help with that. But, if they work and you wanted to make it easy on yourself, yeah, you could get/ use those to Katur bulbs all around

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ah, I didn't notice the end lens, but I did see they are 2000 lumens per bulb which is more than the other two brands.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
Ah, I didn't notice the end lens, but I did see they are 2000 lumens per bulb which is more than the other two brands.
Oh yes I'm sure they'll be plenty bright.
I'll be testing everything out, if I like them, I might return the others and stick with 1 brand to make it easy

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Oh yes I'm sure they'll be plenty bright.
I'll be testing everything out, if I like them, I might return the others and stick with 1 brand to make it easy
I sent a question to KaTur asking if there are built-in load resistors.

benmarks

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS Sedan Platinum Gray
FYI, ClustersByLitke sells a replacement hazard switch that addresses hyper flash without the need for any load resistors.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
FYI, ClustersByLitke sells a replacement hazard switch that addresses hyper flash without the need for any load resistors.
Want to post a link?

It's supposedly pretty easy to modify a hazard switch to run them, it's just a precision connection on pin 7 of the microchip on the hazard switch board. You can use an exacto or blade to break the connection. But no point in doing that if we can find bulbs that have them built in.

https://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=4215145&postcount=65

I guess the benefit with having the compatible hazard switch is you can run normal LED's that won't get hot (even chipped internally they will run more hot because now you're shedding power in the form of heat, why external resistors get so hot)

Last edited:

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Want to post a link?

It's supposedly pretty easy to modify a hazard switch to run them, it's just a precision connection on pin 7 of the microchip on the hazard switch board. You can use an exacto or blade to break the connection. But no point in doing that if we can find bulbs that have them built in.

https://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=4215145&postcount=65

I guess the benefit with having the compatible hazard switch is you can run normal LED's that won't get hot (even chipped internally they will run more hot because now you're shedding power in the form of heat, why external resistors get so hot)
Its a Facebook site https://www.facebook.com/ClustersbyLitke/ so you have to sell your soul and all personal data to Mark Zuckerberg if you want to access it.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ah yeah. Welp, I'm out, don't have any social media. If I need one I'll modify what I have
Or if you know someone who already HAS sold their soul to Zuckerberg, maybe you can ask them to call up the store so you can see the flasher unit.

j_martell

Veteran Member
TDI
Reflex Silver 2006 Jetta GLS TDI Wagon
Installed a doggie collar. The clip for the boost pipe broke the bottom half coming home from Sauble Beach. I guess it didn’t appreciate almost 2 hours of full load. Car was packed, roof box was packed, and two mountain bikes on the back.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf

Holy crap. Is that from just one day? Presuming it was clean before?

And as for this thread:

2004 Golf - alternator df terminal signal implausible. I had a broken wire, and one of my wires going to the AC compressor was frayed/almost broken. Replaced all the wires in the harness (thanks to the terminal removal tool) and got that fixed. Also replaced the thermostat a week ago, along with installing my new ColorMFA from another member on here.

2003 Jetta: Pulled the shifter and associated cables and axles. Will be working more on my 5 speed swap tonight.

2010 Jetta (I know it's not an A4, but too bad): replaced the high pressure control switch, and now AC works again.