What did you do to your MKIV today?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
My MKIVs are both getting detailed this week. Even at their age a full interior and exterior detail makes them look new. Well, almost. And they do a great job waxing the car. I do it once a year. And I try to get them inside whenever they're not moving.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
Lets see, started a few things this weekend.

This all started because of a faint clicking I was hearing. It was kind of random but sounded like it had something to do with the serp belt assy.

Got in there to see the lower mount of the tensioner gas strut had oil on it. So I was going to replace the strut (Lifetime warranty on the Litens tensioner that Advanced Auto had). Well, you can't get that bottom bolt off without basically removing the tensioner so I ended up doing that.

But then I realized that something else was off because that tensioner wasn't that old. So I pulled the belly pan, side skirt, and metal cover off the timing belt for room. Checked the alternator pulley for functionality. It did not slip in either direction so it was toast. It couldn't have been like that for long though, the clicking of the failed strut just started happening, so luckily I caught it in time.

Thanks to another member on here (@hey_allen) who is in my area, had the metalnerd tools for pulling the pulley on the car. There's not much room on there and that thing was on TIGHT. I had to use the 17mm box end with a larger box end on it for leverage. The thing popped like a gunshot when it let go. I was almost certain I had broken something, but, it came off nice after it let go.

While I had the belly pan off, noticed the front of the engine was leaking. Again. I had sealed up everything (so I thought) from previous repairs. It was wet on top of the block lip under the oil filter housing that's bolted to the block. It's not coolant as I've sealed up all the connections with new seals (including the hard pipe) and it was dry above that housing. It looked more dry on the driver side which to me meant that it couldn't be the crank position sensor I'll call it CPS for short), but I figured I'd check it anyway. Pulled that, and even though there were no apparent leaks, that o-ring was badly deformed. I replaced it with one that was a TAD larger on the OD that came from a Harbor Freight kit. It fit more snug, so it's not going to leak from there. It looked like the rest of the leak was coming from the housing.

I pulled the housing off and you could see the gasket's life was at it's end. It was flaking and just didn't look like it was doing its job anymore. Luckily @hey_allen saved me some time, he had an extra gasket laying around that he wasn't using so I took it off his hands:). As well, he had that 12 point sockets to remove the small CPS bolt (9mm) which even nice socket sets don't come with.

Cleaned that all up and re-installed.

Then went on to the hybrid pan. I figured while the oil was out, I'd give the bottom end and inspection. I pulled the steel stamped part of the pan, inspected, everything was good under there.

Went to re-seal the pan and noticed some of the paint was flaking on the flange of the sheetmetal, working its way towards the inside of the pan. Not good. If the paint flaked from the inside and clogged the pickup tube, I'd be out an engine.:mad:

I called ECS who I bought the pan from, they don't offer just the steel piece. Why even have a 2 piece pan if the steel portion isn't available?!?! That's one of the selling points!! Anyway, after not being able to find any contact information for the vendor that sells ECS these pans, I reluctantly purchased and entire NEW pan from ECS on a discount (mine was a couple years old it was $65 with the discount. $82 retail). They shipped it free next day air too, which was nice. I'm still not giving up on finding the contact info for the pan mfg (MTC) but it's not looking good. I find it astonishing that you cannot buy the steel stamped part of a 2-piece pan in 2020. Someone makes those parts separately...

Anyway, IDparts is sending me the alternator pulley and crush washers for the turbo feed connection and the rest of the stuff is on the way. This turned into a much bigger project than I anticipated for a tensioner strut.

Edit: Looks like I found the vendor contact for the pans. I shot them an email and left a message, I'll report back on what they say

Last edited:

MORTAMIR

Veteran Member
TDI
MKIV GOLF 05 BEW, DURAMAX LBZ, X5 35D
Bought these Recaro GLI seats today.
Just have to go to Canada and pick them up now.
Probably paid too much but i feel good about them.

sriracha

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon 5mt, 1982 Rabbit truck (gas)
I swapped in brushed-aluminum door levers in place of the chrome levers. I kinda got a little obsessed with the brushed aluminum trim lately.

On a side note, my friend stopped by with his mk7 Golf wagon. The fake brushed aluminum dash trim in his wagon was already pealing up off of the plastic underneath and his seats are stained all over. He was commenting about how the 2005 interior of my wagon looked newer, better and higher quality than the interior of his 2017. Kinda crazy.

OkiHero

TDI
04 Golf BEW
Picked up a block and VNT-17 about a week ago. Head came in a few days later from Frank. I spent Sunday lubing and loosely assembling everything. Still need to strip the old block of the a/c compressor, alternator, and get the car on all four tires to start removing the front clip and get a new turbo feed line. Also got a Rocketchip 1.5 with an EGR delete from Frank as well.

On a side note does anyone know if the Rocketchip tune is a dynamic delete like Malone's or is it set for a delete with block off plates. I know I have more questions but I got my behind kicked at work today and I can't think of them.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
If you delete the EGR cooler you should use block off plates, regardless of the tune. RC shuts down the EGR duty cycle, but Jeff recommends using blockoff plates with a physical cooler delete regardless.

tom2turbo

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI Wagon
Drove to Portland Costco, food and fuel. $2.49/gallon. 45 mpg on mixed city/highway on first refill in 2 months.

Bought an 2006 MB Sprinter with OM 647 5 cyl diesel and automatic. Nice rig, handles great on 700 mile round trip last week. First automatic since the 56 Buick Century back in 1970. MB 922.6 automatic has a shudder requiringa lots of time, love and money. Otherwise she needs all the usual suspects on maintenance.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Filled up today- back down to $2.109 on the reservation, last week it was $2.379. Hand calculated 46.3mpg, still using only gears 1-4. Later in day I finally put the Dieselgeek skidplate back on. I used some Evaporust on the bolts, they were getting a little crusty. Look new again...

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Seeing all your mileages, I hate all the hills I have to drive on a regular basis.

carl20320

TDI
2004 Mk4 Golf GLS TDI 5spd
Installed my home made short shifter. Used an extra we had when my son installed his Sigma 5 in his Golf. Based off calculations, it is a 25% reduction in throw. When I first went through the gears, I thought something was wrong with how short the throw actually was versus stock. :D

Also installed solid bushings on shifter cable bracket, relay bracket, and cable ends. It almost seems wrong how tight shifts are now.

Tomorrow I adjust the toe-in close to where it needs to be then drive in to the alignment shop for a real alignment when I can get an appointment.

Dh4276

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Golf GLS TDI, BEW
Custom center caps coming in today, which should I start with??

Would like some feedback!

These are directional for each side!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cptcrnch

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI wagon; 2014 Golf TDI (buyback 7/26/17)
Ran a can of diesel purge through the injectors hoping it would fix the smoke above 3k rpm/rough running I’ve been having. I looked at block 13 in VCDS and found that the cylinder 3 injector is running at nearly +2 and the others are trying to compensate. Did some research here and found several threads from the last 10 years showing that it could be caused by a bad injector wiring harness. Ordered one from ID Parts and it should be here Monday. Hoping it’s not a bad injector or camshaft. Starting with the cheapest fixes and working towards the most expensive.

Last edited:

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
Got everything buttoned up from the last fiasco (serp tensioner, oil filter housing leak, CPS leak, alt, pulley, steel portion of the hybrid pan). Also, headed to Idaho today so I got everything built up for my CCV delete and catch can. We'll see if it leaks. I jammered the connection at the intake (there's a circular clip that's plastic like a ring) that I broke so it's just basically being held in there by the hose from the catch can and the o ring at that connection.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
@Krash,
Well dang, that looks familiar. Lol, shoulda' patented it.
Haha ya, inspiration. I'm gonna cover the tubing with some wire bundle material I have leftover from making a new set of battery cables for my truck (not the corrugated kind).
Watch it for a bit for leaks!

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
IndigoBlueWagon, out of curiosity what does a complete interior and exterior detail run back there in Massachusetts?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
My guy charges $225. But he does a really good job. I've been going to him for years, but today I noticed for the first time he cleans inside the wheel wells

Today he had a new 911 and a Lotus Evora in there. I think he is willing to detail my old cars because I've known him for so long.

Dh4276

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Golf GLS TDI, BEW
Did oil change and swapped out the crank position sensor since I think it was leaking oil from it or the seal. Seal was really hard when I pulled it out.

Checked alignment 2 days ago also, new suspension has settled nicely and just needed a touch of adjustment on the toe which was due to LCA coming loose on me. Still don’t know why that happened.

BakoTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, MK7
Did oil change and swapped out the crank position sensor since I think it was leaking oil from it or the seal. Seal was really hard when I pulled it out.

Checked alignment 2 days ago also, new suspension has settled nicely and just needed a touch of adjustment on the toe which was due to LCA coming loose on me. Still don’t know why that happened.

Do you guys also have the need to so balancing and alignment as often as my car seems to need it!? Is it possible that hardware is just not of good enough quality? Anything above 60-65 mph I get lots of wheel shake. I know balancing will take care of that but it seems like my car goes out of whack soon after it’s aligned and balanced.

FJ40Jim

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Golf GLS 5MT, '12 JSW DSG
Months ago I rebuilt the turbo and followed the updated VW procedure for adjusting the actuator rod on Turbo.

That's been working fine, so I removed the boostvalve today, and no change. Car still goes to 20# immediately, then pulls back to 18 and stays there.

Pleased that the boostvalve bandaid repair is no longer needed to prevent the occasional overboost and limp mode event.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Do you guys also have the need to so balancing and alignment as often as my car seems to need it!? Is it possible that hardware is just not of good enough quality? Anything above 60-65 mph I get lots of wheel shake. I know balancing will take care of that but it seems like my car goes out of whack soon after it’s aligned and balanced.

I'm a freak when it comes to wheel balance. I've traded in cars in the past when I couldn't get wheels balanced properly. My guru says I can tell when a wheel is 1/2 oz out. Fortunately he's a freak about wheel balance, too., and tolerates me. However, my TDIs hold both balance and alignment really well. Usually when one of my wheels goes out of balance it's because it's bent. I've taken to collecting Avus 1 wheels for the MKIV cars. Cheaper to buy more than have them straightened.