What did you do to your MKIV today?

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Finally had a moment to help my friend get their new to them wagon ready for service. Timing belt and all components, thermostat, replace the intercooler due to parking block damage, vac lines, cam and follower, polish headlights, and 01m fluid/filter service. This trans isn't long for this world, some clown bottomed out the line pressure adjuster. Managed to back it out without breaking it, but who knows where it's set now.

gmenounos

Vendor
TDI
'99.5 Golf GLS, '01 Jetta GLX Wagon (TDI conversion)
Golf: Re-did my (apparently shoddy) ECU socketing job. No issues for 7 years (well, maybe not so shoddy after all) and then all of a sudden it wouldn't start and no glow plug light "wink" when cycling the key. Ordered a spare ECU which was due to arrive today, but it got delayed and I got impatient. Reworked the solder joints with fresh solder and flux and bent the socket contacts toward the inside a bit. Not sure which ultimately fixed it. Tip: Don't bend the contacts too much or the ROM chip will hang up on the pins and jam them down in the socket when inserted (ask me how I know).

TDI Greg

TDI
2002 Jetta ALH
I made my own short shifter. I removed my shift knob and cut 1 inch off of the selector rod. Then I drilled out the alignment notches in the knob. The knob fit very snugly, but I still used a hose clamp at the bottom for double security. The results are pretty cool for no bigger of an investment than I made.

gmenounos

Vendor
TDI
Golf: Replaced the 21-year-old plastic steering wheel with a perforated leather 3-spoke wheel. At some point I replaced the parking brake handle with a perforated leather one so now they match:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/QrWbxfRADvg6Y95m9

I was originally going to install a leather multifunction wheel. I've got all the parts (wheel, clock spring, relay, cruise control stalk, Kufatec harness) but I've been putting it off forever. When I had time I didn't feel like doing all the wiring or else something more important would need to be fixed on one car or the other. This 3-spoke wheel turned out to be so much easier. Didn't need to replace the clock spring or change any wiring or connectors.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Changed the fuel filter. Made a huge difference in my lack of performance. Still having a hard time with my rookie mistake. Meanwhile, I tooefed the MAF and possibly the ECU with my electronic EGR experiment. Sigh...

Cheers,

PH

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Changed the fuel filter. Made a huge difference in my lack of performance. Still having a hard time with my rookie mistake. Meanwhile, I tooefed the MAF and possibly the ECU with my electronic EGR experiment. Sigh...

Cheers,

PH
Sooo got some details about what the hay you were doing? I'm curious.

Caddy 16v

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, 2000 Golf
Changed rear rotors and pads, after almost 10 years of doing brakes on this car found out you can take the rotor off without taking the carrier off... damn mind blown haha, what a waste of time fighting those bolts all those years!!! [emoji849]

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

BakoTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, MK7
After doing TB job, new vacuum pump, removed the EGR valve and put on my block off plate on the exhaust manifold. Put on the race pipe and did some painting under the hood.

However, developed this noise while boosting. I tried tightening the block of plate but I may need to recheck the sealing of the plate. Check it out...

https://youtu.be/BPxZczJA5Jg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Declan023

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI VNT 17, crappy 0.210 nozzles, Malone stage 4 tune, manual swap, 3 Bar map
I have a similar noise when i pull hard in 5th, its alot more muffled sounding tho and lasts longer.

BakoTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, MK7
I have a similar noise when i pull hard in 5th, its alot more muffled sounding tho and lasts longer.

At this point, it does it in 1st through 5th depending on the load. Not sure what else to check. Sometimes it does last longer if I keep it under load

hey_allen

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
I know that noise!

The exhaust gaskets play like reeds if they aren't tightened properly.

On my car, I had this happen when I forgot to tighten the manifold to EGR Cooler joint, but could happen at any of the junctions where there is a gasket between the metal flanges.
(I chased that noise for ~5 days, while driving a loaner vehicle that got AWFUL mileage, before finding the cause...)

BakoTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, MK7
I know that noise!

The exhaust gaskets play like reeds if they aren't tightened properly.

On my car, I had this happen when I forgot to tighten the manifold to EGR Cooler joint, but could happen at any of the junctions where there is a gasket between the metal flanges.

Looks like I may need to take another look at the block off plate gasket!! Thanks guys!!!

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
Changed rear rotors and pads, after almost 10 years of doing brakes on this car found out you can take the rotor off without taking the carrier off... damn mind blown haha, what a waste of time fighting those bolts all those years!!! [emoji849]

How? I'd like to know so I don't have to fight with the carrier next time either

Caddy 16v

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, 2000 Golf
How? I'd like to know so I don't have to fight with the carrier next time either
Just like it shows in the picture: Take the two slide pin bolts out that hold the caliper in place, slide it off with some rubber mallet taps, then pop off the brake pads. After that you can remove the rotor. Don't forget the little screw if you still have it! [emoji6]

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
I've been changing rear brakes that way for many years.
Yeah it probably took me 5+ years to figure it out. Then I got my Cummins in 2012 and the front caliper bracket requires 250 ft-lb, which most torque wrenches don't go up to unless you want to drop some $$ on one (or a torque multiplier). I pulled the caliper bracket/caliper as an assembly and put it back on once before I thought the process through...have been doing it the way posted above ever since.

Dh4276

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Golf GLS TDI, BEW
I've been changing rear brakes that way for many years.

I don’t think I’ve ever do it any different on any vehicle. However when I did my brakes 2 years ok on the golf, I didn’t change the rotors since they were in perfect condition.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
I don’t think I’ve ever do it any different on any vehicle.
Mk5 BRM Jetta with the 286mm rear rotors - no way I could figure out how to get the rotor off without the carriers.
And those bolts at 90Nm+90° (or whatever the spec was) after 300K km....that was fun. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Dh4276

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Golf GLS TDI, BEW
Mk5 BRM Jetta with the 286mm rear rotors - no way I could figure out how to get the rotor off without the carriers.
And those bolts at 90Nm+90° (or whatever the spec was) after 300K km....that was fun. :rolleyes:

That’s good to know if I ever need to pull them!

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
Ok I think I'm mixing my cars up then. On my mk4 golf I'm pretty sure the only reason I took the carrier off was because I was putting on a new one... I was thinking 6th gen Accord, the caliper is very similar style and position to the mk4 but you have to take the carrier off because Honda's have lug nuts, so the studs are in the way of the rotor

leafs

Veteran Member
TDI
alh
Replaced my fan temperature switch. Also reinstalled one the horns as I found it dangling from it's wire one day and I just disconnected it at the time.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Filled her up. 36mpg smh. Need to ease up on the go pedal.

sriracha

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon 5mt, 1982 Rabbit truck (gas)
Washed mine after driving 400 miles in light misty rain. The wagon was so dirty that I washed her twice.
I also filled her up: 41mpg.

Also, I installed a couple more brushed aluminum items: aluminum ashtray and upper cupholder aluminum delete panel.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
Washed mine as well, it gets maybe 2 a year. No salt on the roads last winter,
so the spring clean was delayed. My original Brazilian paint is in great shape still.
I did touch up some rock chips when I got the car 4 yrs ago,
one nick on the hood could use another coat.

My take is, (rightly or wrongly), obsessive washing, compounding, waxing etc etc only accelerates
paint wear and breakdown. Keep it out of the sun as much as possible.

gmenounos

Vendor
TDI
Golf: Replaced both radiator fans. They turned out to both be original, manufactured in '98. Used vice grips to straighten folded over pinch welds (damaged by a body shop who did some rocker panel repair :mad:).

Caddy 16v

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, 2000 Golf
Washed mine as well, it gets maybe 2 a year. No salt on the roads last winter,
so the spring clean was delayed. My original Brazilian paint is in great shape still.
I did touch up some rock chips when I got the car 4 yrs ago,
one nick on the hood could use another coat.

My take is, (rightly or wrongly), obsessive washing, compounding, waxing etc etc only accelerates
paint wear and breakdown. Keep it out of the sun as much as possible.
Once had a 94 Dodge Ram, when I got it the paint was in "pretty" good shape. I kept washing and waxing it maybe once a week and on top of that it was Florida and it was parked outside. Within about 2 years it went from YAY to NAY lol. Peeling down to the metal... then again the 2nd gen Dodges had horrible paint.

Jetta gets rarely washed and waxed. Maybe wax once a year.