What did you do to your MKIV today?

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
From what I learned on the track (using a Scan Gauge) the ECU noticeably dials back fuel and timing when AITs (air intake temps) exceed 120 degrees. On an 80+ degree day that's pretty easy to reach: track surface temps would get above 100 quickly. Same on the street, although since you're not using WOT the power loss isn't that noticeable. Lag and smoke are.

Unexpected consequences of the upgrade. You're a mine of pertinent information sir!

Just reread the "what is handling" thread, after 5yrs.
Lol, found an old post of mine when I read it the first time.
Learned a lot more the 2nd time around. {:eek:)

Still no rear sway bar on my setup, but having the rear lifted and bigger rear brakes has shifted my lateral bias. No wonder I feel no need to stiffen the rear any more. I may even go back to the Golf towing springs
for the winter, a bit lower than the wagon towing springs, should reduce
the tendency to lose the back end in the snow and ice. I don't bother with a dedicated set of snows for this neck of the woods.

sriracha

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon 5mt, 1982 Rabbit truck (gas)
Had new Michelin Pilot Sport tires installed and weighed the Fatty Fives during the process, 23.7 lbs! Ouch

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
Swapped my rear springs, from wagon towing to golf towing. Lowers the
rear to where the car is now sitting level. Sitting up, the car is a bit livelier
in the rear, not something I want in ice and snow. Interesting change in handling dynamics.
I'll swap them again in the spring, when we'll be heading cross country with the camper.

Previewed my alloy SMIC and pd150 airbox install with my guru. If I can come up with a solution to his trying
to get rear MkIV calipers on a worked Corrado, we're square. Apparently the rubber hose is a bit short.

red16vdub

Veteran Member
TDI
03 JSW 5spd
Well yesterday I ran into a couple issues. I started my wagon while I snow blow the driveway, after I was finished I shut the car off but realized I had to move it again, when I tried to restart the battery was completely dead. I hooked up my charger and charged the battery, car started right up. While on the charger I noticed it said 12.1 volts, I blip the throttle and now it idles at 13.9 volts. I really need to replace that voltage regulator.
Second thing is I also noticed my oil cooler o ring seals were shot, good thing I had a set on hand. I decided to tackle the job which took about 45 minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zheking

TDI
02 Golf
I've always been leery of LED headlights, especially without a projector because I've never wanted to be the guy blinding everyone, a Z buddy told me he found some that were apparently new technology and designed to be placed in the stock reflector. Bought some since I had a head light go out the other day anyways to give them a shot, they looked decent in his old Z31, but he never raises the headlights up on it. Put them in tonight. I was shocked by how well the cut off and beam focus was on them. They barely fit with the big heat sink on them. We'll see how long they last enclosed space. Also changed air filter and fuel filter when I was under there for the 290k service.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LDZCO1S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

leafs

Veteran Member
TDI
alh
New bilstein shocks in the rear. Now I have the pleasure of doing the front either tomorrow or friday. Oh yeah will be changing out passenger spindle as well since PO bent something there causing slight positive camber. From what I hear driver side should be cake and passenger shouldn't be too bad since I'm taking off the entire spindle anyway.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 2000 Jetta TDI 2000 New Beetle TDI ALL 5 speeds
Hooked up a vacuum gauge and only saw 19-20 inches, swapped out for a repaired (jb weld collar) pump and it drives much better.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
Installed my upgraded SMIC, or rather I helped. In the process Norm noticed some wear on the serpentine belt, so new belt, and it needs a new clutch on the alternator. That'll be a project for another day. With one fender liner out, I cleaned out in front of the rocker panels on both sides.
Packed damp dirt, but no signs of any rusting.
Very little oil in the old intercooler, the catch can is doing its job.

Fitment on the "new & improved" intercooler was very good. Some juggling with some rubber washers on the mounts and we got a solid, yet isolated from vibration, installation. On the drive home from the shop,
noticeable improvement in air flow and spooling. I'm hoping the PD150
airbox with the bigger MAF will get even more air in. Both upgrades are in the interests of efficiency rather than horsepower.

On the downside, I inadvertenly left my car unlocked, lost a set of harbor freight sockets and wrenches, an ancient Garmin GPS, and my beloved
2D LED Maglite. An opportunistic junkie I suspect.

DMan1198

TDI
02 VW Jetta
Since the nose is off my Jetta while I retrofit projectors (I’m waiting on new ballasts) I decided to finally deal with the p0183 code. I pulled the harness out of the car, tested, and repaired the broken bits, then rewrapped the whole thing. And since I had all of that stuff out of the way I pulled the starter, cleaned it, and greased the planetary (fwiw the ratio is 3.375:1). Got it all put back together and the battery didn’t have enough power to start it, so charger on, and put the trunk back together after figuring out my brake light issue (it was the brake switch). Finally gave starting it a shot and wow what a difference. I should’ve done that two years ago.

Cleenlivin

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI Sedan (DSG) boughtback, 2004 Jetta TDI Sedan (Tiptronic), 2004 Jetta TDI Sedan (5 speed)
04 Jetta BEW Thermostat Change

I changed the thermostat and holder yesterday. My car took a long time to warm up, was giving a P0128 code and the overall performance was down. The mileage per gallon was also down. I replaced it with a factory thermostat. The car warms up like it should and runs much better.

Last edited:

Cleenlivin

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI Sedan (DSG) boughtback, 2004 Jetta TDI Sedan (Tiptronic), 2004 Jetta TDI Sedan (5 speed)
04 Jetta TDI O2 Sensor...

I had a problem passing CA emissions and found out my O2 sensor was bad. I changed the sensor and drove a bit to get all the readiness tests to reset. Finally passed test. I noticed the idle was greatly improved after changing the sensor. Much smoother, less vibrations.

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
Crossed the 400K boundary last Friday night on the way home from work (see 400K club thread over in TDI101).

Replaced PCV valve, hose, and grommet to resolve a slight oil leak. Had hoped that would also eliminate the exhaust smell I'm getting when not moving (that can be blocked by turning on recirc), but no joy. Going to have to arrange to have it put up in the air and the exhaust system gone over...

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
Might be a leaking valve cover. Gets on the exhaust manifold and smells.
It's a fair guess, but if that were the case I'd only smell it when the engine (and, by extension the manifold) were hot, right? The exhaust smell basically appears from the instant I start the car dead cold.

Also, since this started I'm hearing a little more engine noise from the front and decidedly more pronounced turbo whistle than I think I should be hearing, so I was thinking the more likely suspect is the downpipe section...

That said, I will try and get a flashlight on the manifold tonight and see if I can see anything.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
It's a fair guess, but if that were the case I'd only smell it when the engine (and, by extension the manifold) were hot, right? The exhaust smell basically appears from the instant I start the car dead cold.

Also, since this started I'm hearing a little more engine noise from the front and decidedly more pronounced turbo whistle than I think I should be hearing, so I was thinking the more likely suspect is the downpipe section...

That said, I will try and get a flashlight on the manifold tonight and see if I can see anything.
Sounds like your flange gasket isn't sealing...might be loose flange bolts...hope it's not the flex pipe leaking...

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
I just got a set of Monroe MA822 air shocks to install on my Jetta.
Too many miles of dragging the rear due to load in the trunk or back seat, planning to follow DeeJaaa's install thread for the most part.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=363379

Too bad the photos in that thread are so poor - hopefully DeeJaaa will see this thread and upload better quality non-Photobucket photos.

hey_allen

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Too bad the photos in that thread are so poor - hopefully DeeJaaa will see this thread and upload better quality non-Photobucket photos.
Open the thread in chrome with a Photobucket fix add-in installed, and the images look normal again.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Open the thread in chrome with a Photobucket fix add-in installed, and the images look normal again.

Sorry, I refuse to give up privacy and security just to be tracked by Google. If Photobucket now only works in Chrome, then perhaps forums should not allow it to be used on their sites.

Last edited:

hey_allen

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Sorry, I refuse to give up privacy and security just to be tracked by Google.
Heh... You expect privacy anywhere online?

That said, PrivacyBadger, uMatrix, and AdBlock are also in my addons, making browsing a little bit more private.

Back to things done to the MK4, installing new springs all around, and 1" spacers to the front struts. I'm hoping to get a little more clearance, but no intent to add larger tires. I'm just tired of scraping my oil pan on road debris, and it's low enough that I can barely get my jack under the car, with how the springs have settled over the years. I can't put the skid plate on as I only have ~3 inches clearance to the oil pan currently, and that would take another ~3/4" away.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Heh... You expect privacy anywhere online?

That said, PrivacyBadger, uMatrix, and AdBlock are also in my addons, making browsing a little bit more private.

Back to things done to the MK4, installing new springs all around, and 1" spacers to the front struts. I'm hoping to get a little more clearance, but no intent to add larger tires. I'm just tired of scraping my oil pan on road debris, and it's low enough that I can barely get my jack under the car, with how the springs have settled over the years. I can't put the skid plate on as I only have ~3 inches clearance to the oil pan currently, and that would take another ~3/4" away.

Won't the new springs raise it back to where it was originally? That would give you room for a skidplate.

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
I had a problem passing CA emissions and found out my O2 sensor was bad. I changed the sensor and drove a bit to get all the readiness tests to reset. Finally passed test. I noticed the idle was greatly improved after changing the sensor. Much smoother, less vibrations.
Interesting - I've seen a number of BEWs have an O2 sensor code (P2196 typically) with no driving/running impact. Usually shows zero load (engine braking). Since it's used mostly for the EGR, I was surprised mine had the code popped up.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
Sorry, I refuse to give up privacy and security just to be tracked by Google. If Photobucket now only works in Chrome, then perhaps forums should not allow it to be used on their sites.
Ha Ha to thinking that you're not being tracked. But really, what Hey_Allen said.

Photobucket not displaying properly has NOTHING to do with Chrome at all and everything to do with Photobucket hijacking everyone's shared forum photos. They took all the accounts hostage and demanded something like $500/year at first (when the service used to be a free platform)...and all of the images in the forums had the speedometer looking thing on them.

There was a fix to that...it's an extension you download for your browser. You've probably got browser extensions you don't even know about.

So many people complained about this PB pulled their head out and put the images back up, but with a watermark on half the image, and demanded some other absurd amount of money for the accounts and they'd lift the watermark.

The third and most recent iteration that PB has done has made the photos blurry. Images are there but they are horrible quality.

This Chrome (there may be a Firefox one too) extension makes the photos not blurry so you can see them again. I'm a part of many forums where this is an issue and found this most recent fix a while after PB started blurring them out. It has nothing to do with Google, nor is it associated with google, nor does it "track" you. I've been using the extension since it came out during the first iteration. No men in black suits and ties with a laser flash gun have come to my door. So breathe easy and if you'd like your tech writeups (and there are probably hundreds of thousands across all forum platforms on the internet suffering the same thing) back, just download the extension. If you truly want privacy for everything that is connected to your internet, then protect yourself with a VPN.

It doesn't bite

Last edited:

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
When I open Photobucket, I see 6 trackers, one is Google Tag Manager.
I tried out NordVPN last month, didn't work for me, but I did discover some browsers (Firefox) have a VPN plugin available.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
I don't ever visit the PB website. The fix I suggested works if photos are embedded directly into the thread, which is what I like to do when I do tech writeups (you'll notice the blurry photos within the thread). If the OP linked them directly to their PB account, then yes it will take you there.

The extension works on Crome/Mozilla and will fix all of the embedded images, no need to leave this forum or any other for that matter.

VPN's can be finnicky, they can take some setting up/tinkering to optimize them. They are known to really throttle interwebz speeds, which is why you have to use one that allows you to choose servers, capacity, etc. As well, it's not recommended to set them up on a router unless you have lightning fast internet speeds because it will throttle everything connected to the network and what really takes a hit is wifi. Makes sense just to install on the hardware you want to be protected. But yeah I digress, there are ways to protect yourself if you're worried.

One thing I did to my MKIV today is realize I needed some new wipers as mine are shot. And it took me this many years to figure out that I can replace just the silicone wiper insert for $5 and not spend $50 on wipers every year:rolleyes:

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
I've gotten to where I don't care if they track me...I'm not selling secrets so who cares...and the secrets I know, most wouldn't believe them anyway...