What did you do to your MKIV today?

Blacktree

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta 5-spd
Yesterday, I replaced the strut mounts and bearings. The driver side was easy-peasy, passenger side was a PITA.

I also noticed one of the tie rod ends is already bad. It only has 30k miles on it. Meh...

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Finally took some time to figure out why my reverse lights quit working. Fun fact, when you do a manual swap, the TCM fuse is then used instead of fuse 7 for reverse. Found that after I tore out half the harness checking my splices.

ItAintRodKnock

Veteran Member
TDI
01GolfTDi
Wanting to order a high milage kit for my 300K service have acouple questions first

What The Heck is the difference in the Conti, Gates or INA belts???

Is the Camshaft sprocket going to be replaced when i get my head rebuilt, or should it be bought with the timing belt stuff and installed then??

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Wanting to order a high milage kit for my 300K service have acouple questions first

What The Heck is the difference in the Conti, Gates or INA belts???

Is the Camshaft sprocket going to be replaced when i get my head rebuilt, or should it be bought with the timing belt stuff and installed then??
I don't know the difference between belts, but as far as I know whoever builds the head doesn't replace the cam sprocket for you, you have to do it.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Regarding the belts, good as no difference. I'm not sure we've determined who makes the INA belts, but it's not INA. Probably Conti or Gates.

I doubt you'll get a new cam sprocket with a rebuilt head. It's only necessary to replace it if you feel the cam sprocket bolt may have been over-torqued at some time in the car's life. If so, it can deform the sprocket, reduce the contact area between the sprocket and the cam, and possibly cause the sprocket to slip and the engine to lose time.

BakoTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, MK7
During a trip to the beach, noticed a loud hissing sound as I accelerated. Strangely I didn’t see any drop in boost. I started searching for loose hoses at the usual places and found none. The next morning I continued my search under the car and still didn’t find any. After several days of looking and looking, I almost gave up but finally found the problem. I was even getting ready to make my own boost leak tester! It was very obvious I had a leak but was not quite visible. Once I found it, got on Kerma’s page and bought the replacement hose that connects from the top intercooler pipe to the egr valve, the perforation was on the under side of the hose so it was not easily visible .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StevenT

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS TDI Automatic, 2011 Jetta TDI 6 Spd. Manual. Malone Stage 2
TDI Club

I invested in supporting my TDI's performance and maintenance. I purchased a TDI Hat from this site. Thanks, Fred for maintaining an awesome site.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Welded up the exhaust on my wife's '06 NB. It is a gasser, but oh, well.

Anyway, the inspections are a giant PIA. Even so, this car seems to be working very hard to feed the iron termites. The resonator was being held together with road grime it seemed because it was so rusty.

I was able to weld in a section of stainless pipe I bought from IDparts, but mucked up the weld due to trying to weld it in place. I finally decided to get a v-band clamp to put in place where I'd have to cut to remove all the exhaust and weld it up. The pipe back there is really rusty, and I figured the usual band clamps would leak as a good seal is just not possible.

I was able to mark the pipe, cut it, remove the 2 pieces after dropping the shock mount on that (left) side to allow the axle beam to droop enough. I was then able to go to a friend's metal shop and use some of his tools (grinders, welder, an extra pair of hands for a few minutes) to fix my other bad welds and weld in the flanges for the v-band clamp. It all went back together in 90 minutes or so after returning home, including extra time to wipe anti-seize on the bolts and spray a lot of corrosion protection spray. After all this, it will be sold as soon as we can after getting it to pass inspection.

It's a pretty nice low mileage (81.5k) 2.5 NB. Very smooth. Nice power, good driveability. But my wife is hypersensitive to odors, and the previous owner's smoking habit has emerged through the febreeze. Sigh. Much worse than when we bought it to be sure.

Oh, well. It'll be good to get it out of the way.

Cheers,

PH

BakoTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, MK7
But my wife is hypersensitive to odors, and the previous owner's smoking habit has emerged through the febreeze. Sigh. Much worse than when we bought it to be sure.

Have you considered giving it an ozone treatment? Might be able to rent one.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Have you considered giving it an ozone treatment? Might be able to rent one.

I have to second that. My wife's '14 passat, it's original owner was a smoker. Ran a treatment of an ozone generator in it three times, 45 minutes each time, no more smell. They're about $85 from home depot.

BakoTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, MK7
I have to second that. My wife's '14 passat, it's original owner was a smoker. Ran a treatment of an ozone generator in it three times, 45 minutes each time, no more smell. They're about $85 from home depot.
If you make friends with a ServPro or Service Master employee, they might lend you an ozone machine haha (I do not sponsor any of these companies but they also do this for homes when they have smoke damage)
An overnight treatment may be enough. That’s usually the best way to go with odor treatment

Vindiesel6

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 VW Golf GLS TDI & 2015 Q5 TDI
Routine alh fuel filter replacement & diesel purge complete. What a big difference in responsiveness, engine noise and visible smoke at WOT!

Caddy 16v

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, 2000 Golf
Tried to fix my leaking exhaust near the cat, ended up being more rusted than I thought and I was left with a 1ft gap between the cat and the tail section. Pretty loud now, the downpipe where it goes into my cat defeated all my grinders due to clearance and my reciprocating saw didn't have the right blade.

I'll have another try once I get a metal blade. Tempted to get a new bigger downpipe but I'm kind of done spending $$$ on the Jetta.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

skyking1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 beetle 2002 beetle
I installed the hitch off the wreck, the trailer wiring kit on Gandalf the Grey. Did some more investigating on it.
Some enthusiast has it before me. The vent mod was done, and a European headlight switch was installed. I had not seen one before so it took me by surprise.

ItAintRodKnock

Veteran Member
TDI
01GolfTDi
Regarding the belts, good as no difference. I'm not sure we've determined who makes the INA belts, but it's not INA. Probably Conti or Gates.

I doubt you'll get a new cam sprocket with a rebuilt head. It's only necessary to replace it if you feel the cam sprocket bolt may have been over-torqued at some time in the car's life. If so, it can deform the sprocket, reduce the contact area between the sprocket and the cam, and possibly cause the sprocket to slip and the engine to lose time.
Cool! I have no reason to suspect the cam sprocket bolts have been touched at all. So, maybe I'll pass on buying that. Thanks for the heads up.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

ItAintRodKnock

Veteran Member
TDI
01GolfTDi
I don't know the difference between belts, but as far as I know whoever builds the head doesn't replace the cam sprocket for you, you have to do it.
Cool! I hate the choices, and although the price does increase for each, that doesnt correlate to a better product always... I think ill just stick with the Gates belt.
When i get done with the TB/Head, the only thing left to think about should be the AC components and turbo. Exciting to think the car will be essentially rebuilt to new.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Cool! I have no reason to suspect the cam sprocket bolts have been touched at all. So, maybe I'll pass on buying that. Thanks for the heads up.

If the belt's been changed ever, the bolts have been loosened at least. But that doesn't necessarily mean you need to change the sprocket.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
This weekend I swapped my SoloWerks coilovers for a set of Billy TC's, back to stock ride height. What an improved feel.

Also finally fixed all my leaks and the TDI engine is now dry again.

Sigma 5 shift linkage will be here Wednesday.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
This weekend I swapped my SoloWerks coilovers for a set of Billy TC's, back to stock ride height. What an improved feel.
MKIVs are better at stock ride height. May not be trendy, but ride and handling is better. I used to get teased at the track for my "tall Golf". But it works.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
MKIVs are better at stock ride height. May not be trendy, but ride and handling is better. I used to get teased at the track for my "tall Golf". But it works.
Yup this will never be a track car and is stock for now. It's my DD, later I will probably add power once the turbo wears out but for now I don't need a go-fast buggy.

Out here the roads are not taken care of. They eat children. Every time I hit something it broke something else on my car I felt. It was like driving a cinderblock.

The same commute to work today, I hit the same crap that I hit with the coilovers and hardly noticed them. Night and day.

The plus for the coilovers is that they railed corners. I'm sure they would have ridden better if I had lowered the car more because I wouldn't have to use up all the preload (like I did to have to keep the car at the "highest" setting) but I never wanted the car that low in the first place.

Lesson learned. Spendy lesson.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Installed new OEM front fender liners and new OEM front splash guards. The passenger side is a vented fender liner, for increased air flow through the SMIC.

Can you give me the VW part numbers for the liners, especially the vented right one?

dtwbrowne

TDI
jetta
Got more OEM. Parts in. Now to find the time to install them..