What did you do to your MKIV today?

Caddy 16v

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, 2000 Golf
Re Plasti dipped the Jetta wheels in preparation for its revival in a week. $1.64 cad litre for 91 for the guzzling Legacy GT wagon (650km bone dry) is too much for the summer.

Actually surprised but I miss driving the Jetta and can't wait to have all that torque and fuel efficiency again!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

moparvwfrak

TDI
02 Jetta TDI, 99 MK4 Jetta TDI (parts), 99 mk4 Jetta gasser
Not today but yesterday. The headlights off my gasser went on to the TurDI, as well as ANOTHER hood latch. this one actually latches. Next week, new (used but good) EGR valve, trans service, oil change and wheel swap to the 15s off the gasser. Getting the TurDI ready for a road trip to Commiefornia to help my dad move. Gotta get the best mileage, otherwise I would take my BMW.

TDIGAZ

Veteran Member
TDI
Current: 2003 Jetta GLS Grey 5 spd. Previous: 2003 Jetta GLS Silver 5 spd (lost in a collision)
444,444 km

I knew the odometer would be passing the 444,000 km mark, so I reset the trip odometer then to capture an image of all the 4's at 444,444 km.
[/IMG]
That's over 276,00 miles.

JohnTso

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Desert Jetta & 2015 Passat SEL
Fix my A/C problems and replaced the cabin filter. This fall I will have owned the Desert Jetta for 3 years. Based on the nasty condition of the old filter... it's been in there for many years. Oh, it was installed upside down.

Keep in mind my A3 Jetta doesn't have a cabin filter, so it never crossed my mind. Diagnosing A/C problem for the A4 brought it to mind. FWIW - I bought a replacement cabin filter, for the new to me, 2015 Passat SEL Premium TDI at the same time.

Last edited:

CtG

TDI
2002 Jetta 5-spd Sedan
Not my car but Lordurock's-
Cleaned the quantity adjuster and brought IQ into adaptability with the Hammermod.
Then found his fuel supply turns to foam at high RPM- fuel line time!

As for mine, removed the headliner and the dash.

benIV

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 PG 5m Jetta GL Sedan, 2003 RS 5m Jetta GLS Wagon (Golf Variant)
Washed, vacuumed etc Wilbur. Started cleaning up Orville for the long restore.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sriracha

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon 5mt, 1982 Rabbit truck (gas)
I removed the trailer hitch today. I don’t have any hitch accessories or hitch racks. Sick of scraping the hitch. The wagon looks smoother without the hitch.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
Are the 3/4" I.D. hoses you used oil resistant? Where did you get them?

Over time, the pvc will harden, but after 5k, my pipes are still clean. You
actually are dealing with vapors more so than actual fluid, unless you have
a LOT of blowby. The can allows some of that vapor to be cleaned up.
Less coking up of the compressor turbo side, and less oily film through the
whole intake track, haven't pulled my intercooler pipe in a while, but my
bet is very little oil there. A very worthwhile mod IMO.

Turbo is more responsive, and I dialed the IQ back another point to 6.8.
Now a touch of smoke on WOT, which I hardly ever hit. My feeling is that
I've hit practical power limits without stressing the whole vehicle out and
compromising longevity/durability. Not a dragster, but a great GT car.

If the rain ever slows down here in the NE, the next test is towing my 22'
sailboat some 400 miles to Canada, ~2500#.

gmenounos

Vendor
TDI
'99.5 Golf GLS, '01 Jetta GLX Wagon (TDI conversion)
It still idles badly and throws the same QA code as before! So I'm thinking it must be either a flaky wire or else I moronically somehow confused the 2 ECUs and put the bad one back in instead of the good one.
Checked the QA<->ECU wires yesterday and all tested good. Also swapped ECUs and it still idles badly and throws a QA code. Today I'm going to try swapping in the QA from a spare pump and see if that fixes it.

Anyone have any tips for a QA swap? I'm thinking that I should install it as far towards the passenger side as possible (as too far in the other direction could cause a runaway) and then gradually move it towards the driver side to get the IQ to a reasonable value.

Diesel_Man

TDI
2005 Jetta TDI Wagon 1.9l BEW, 5 spd Tiptronic
As for me, I had a brake light out. So I replaced all the bulbs in both rear tail lights. I even removed one of the lenses only to find that part of it was melted and black. That is ok............ I am going to replace both rear lenses with the Euro Ocean lenses and LED bulbs in the future as I slowly update my Jetta :)

Diesel Man

sriracha

Veteran Member
TDI
Washed mine and installed the factory VW OEM tinted turn signals to match the tinted corner markers. Really affordable way to subtly improve the looks of the wagon. I appreciate the understated mk4 design.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Some folks delete the rear wiper on the Mk4 Golf, as they think it looks better without. On the other hand, I appreciate the extra visibility when the wiper clears away rain or snow. My red Golf's wiper motor finally failed so I asked Eric Merker to replace it. (The job looked simple enough that I probably could have done it myself in a half-hour or so.)

Today I changed the oil and the cabin filter. Brake fluid was flushed a few weeks ago; gearbox fluid is due.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Yesterday I unloaded my Stage 3 tune and replaced it with a solid Stage 4. The power difference is huge, and the difference in FE is only 2 MPG's. Boost corrected for my altitude is 22 PSI.

BakoTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, MK7
Yesterday, received the new rear hub & bearing kit from idparts and decided to throw it on in order to be ready for our weekend trip to northern Cal. Didn't want to chance anything happening with only 4 lug bolts on. So it all started well, but totally forgot that I'd need a puller...duh! So drove over to Autozone to rent a puller. Removed the hub but the racer was left on shaft. Went back to AZ and got the race puller. It wedged the part off enough in order to grab the race but the pulling part of the tool did not have enough clearance to grab on so had to run back to AZ and get another type of puller...which did not work. Finally, my brain turned back on and realized I could use the jaw puller with only 2 jaws in order to finish pulling the bearing racer. Ugh, should have taken me 30 mins but ended spending a couple hours driving back and forth to AZ for tools. Now I know exactly what I need once I replace the other side. I also installed the cup holder center console piece and the leather covered e-brake handle I got from the JY a few weeks ago. Little by little, this car is becoming more and more functional in the interior. Man, I wish I would have grabbed the pristine leather seats I came across last week at the JY! My cloth seats need some deep cleaning.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Passed Massachusetts state inspection. Safety only since IBW is more than 15 years old. Inspector looked at the car, looked at me, and said, "386,000 miles? Really?" I said yes, and he asked, "where the hell do you go?" Reasonable question, one I ask myself sometimes.

legendman

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 5sp
Passed Massachusetts state inspection. Safety only since IBW is more than 15 years old. Inspector looked at the car, looked at me, and said, "386,000 miles? Really?" I said yes, and he asked, "where the hell do you go?" Reasonable question, one I ask myself sometimes.

Well when your fuel economy is so good there's no excuse to not take the scenic route. :D

I work from home 3 days a week and somehow still do about 600 miles a week.

BakoTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, MK7
he asked, "where the hell do you go?" Reasonable question, one I ask myself sometimes.

haha I wish I could use my car more because of the economy but with 3 growing kids, it's hard to cram them in the back seat for a road trip and not feel like a tyrant parent. I probably would hate road trips too if I was in the back seat of the Jetta with my two siblings, including a car seat in the middle :D

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
NJ's the opposite of Mass - all they test these days is emissions, and only on 1996 and up where they can plug into the OBDII port. Older than 1995 and under GVWR of 8000 lbs, they send you a letter to carry that says (paraphrasing) "scrape off your current sticker when it expires, and don't come back".

Congrats on 386K miles - I hit that mark a couple days ago myself.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Y'all are lucky. Portland metro area is all light/medium duty cars and trucks from 1974 onward have to test. Past that, no safety inspections for any year. Rest of state is 20 year rule.

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
Anything pre-1995 in NJ that's still subject to testing gets the old-school tailpipe sniffer probe/dynamometer test.

CtG

TDI
2002 Jetta 5-spd Sedan
Pulled the HVAC box to discover a pinhole in the heater core ("A" revision)
Found metallic sheen in the TXV (so much for a co.pressor swap haha)
Found essentially zero foam on any of the 3 doors.

Glad I pulled it now!

sriracha

Veteran Member
TDI
Purchased all factory replacement parts for a timing belt job. The local dealership was pretty much price matching items and made it too convenient to purchase, with parts arriving next day. Everything has a VW emblem on it.