What did you do to your MKIV today?

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
I hope you'll be driving something even more cool in the future, though I can't guess what that might be.
Thanks, I picked up a 2017 Jetta S TSI now that I am retired. It's not too cool, but actually not a bad car. Pretty economical as it gets 38 - 40 MPG depending how I drive it. No hills here so no big torquer is needed.:D

Not much long distance driving going on now that the oilfield projects are over for me. I really don't need a TDI to drive local short trips. We have a 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe that my wife pilots and that will be the vehicle for any distance trips.

So, three cars, two retired drivers...one has to go.:)

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
So, three cars, two retired drivers...one has to go.:)
Blasphemy!

You need a fun vehicle also.

Miata is mine (manual transmission so wife won't drive it) It was my daily driver for almost 19 years before I retired now it has been my fun car for the last 10 years.
Prius is my wife's (but I can drive it also).
Jetta is mine (but being an auto she can drive it) Originally bought in 2011 as I needed something to chauffer my late mother around as the Miata was impracticable for a woman in her 90s.

Judson

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Well, finally got the new Alpine ILX207 in and working, including the backup camera mounted in the alpine license plate holder. Still have to hook up the wire to the reverse lights switch, and install the SiriusXM antenna.

The radio cage wood trim on the top right side is loose and epoxy doesn't fix the issue. I need a plastic glue that's much much stronger.

Decided not to cut the factory harness and move the OBD port. Just didn't like the look of that procedure.

Driver's door grab handle (with the controls) came off the door in my hand - the tabs or whatever holds it in have long since broken, so I guess I'll have to glue that back in too. Sigh.

Anyway, still learning about the Alpine but it does have a volume control for the phone, and does have the option of having the sound come out of all of the speakers. So now, with the volume all the way up, I can actually hear incoming calls. Yay!

The Alpine allows for adjustment of the crossover settings for front, rear, and subwoofer channels - complete control including slope. It also allows for timing of each channel, which I played with a bit, and it actually helped.

Finally, the EQ is pretty dang good as well, allowing adjustment for each individual band (which is a frequency spread) then saving them in presets.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Used a Ram-Mount cup holder base to install my K40 CB radio. Originally the cup holder mount was to be used in the Miata and a seat rail mount in the Jetta, but the Jetta seat mounting precluded that so I swapped mounts.

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
Anyway, still learning about the Alpine but it does have a volume control for the phone, and does have the option of having the sound come out of all of the speakers. So now, with the volume all the way up, I can actually hear incoming calls. Yay!

The Alpine allows for adjustment of the crossover settings for front, rear, and subwoofer channels - complete control including slope. It also allows for timing of each channel, which I played with a bit, and it actually helped.

Finally, the EQ is pretty dang good as well, allowing adjustment for each individual band (which is a frequency spread) then saving them in presets.
The only thing I see there that's unique is distributing phone audio to the rear if the newer Pioneers don't. All the other features (separate volume control for phone audio, etc) are there.

The Pioneer also has an auto-tune function including time alignment; my only complaint with it is that you really ought to use a GOOD microphone for it (rather than the so-so included one) and that the storage of it is volatile, so if you lose DC power entirely the time alignment and auto-tune parameters are lost and must be "re-learned."

If the alpine has an auto-tune function use it first and THEN override it both for EQ (if needed) and such. I have my 4000-NEX set up with a slight level bias to the left and time alignment performed from the driver's position with the mic since I am usually in the car alone. It makes a *major* difference if done carefully.

red16vdub

Veteran Member
TDI
03 JSW 5spd
Yesterday I drove my wagon up north to Falmouth, Maine for a friend's birthday. Wife and I stayed overnight and traveled back this morning. Miss driving the wagon as it's usually sits when the roads are salted, I washed it and parked it back in driveway. It's actually the first real trip since I got water in the ECU. She pass with flying colors .

Bajan

volmaniac

Veteran Member
McFadden's Ford, Stones River NMP M'boro, TN
TDI
02 Golf GLS
Been an eventful two weeks for my little golf.

Jan 15 - New struts and shocks
Jan 16 - Alignment
Jan 17 - My son slides on ice and hits a curb, mangling the LF control arm, torn inner CV boot, and sheared off the stabilizer bar end link. Not his fault, later that day a late model MB sedan hit the exact same ice and curb and had to be towed away.
Jan 23 - replaced CA, end link, and repacked inner CV joint with new boot.
Jan 24 - Alignment and back on the road.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
The radio cage wood trim on the top right side is loose and epoxy doesn't fix the issue. I need a plastic glue that's much much stronger.
JB Weld for Plastic. I used the putty style (less strength - didn't need hardcore strength) to help form and hold a (magnetic) USB cable in the back of a converted in-dash cupholder to create a docking station for my phone (Android Auto): http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=482872

Judson

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Ah! Well, before I read your post I found some JB weld in my cabinet, so that's in the process of drying.

I also velcro'd in my driver's console into the door. The cross brace broke and other pieces have long since lost their ability to hold it in, so when one goes to pull the door close the whole thing comes out in your hand (the control interface). Ooops. I intend to replace it with a wood trimmed version, but those are hard to come by so this does the trick in the meantime.

Replaced my trunk struts with chrome ones I bought a long time ago. Another thing on the list of things to do that's been waiting for years to get done.

Then adjusted the driver's headlight to be a little higher and the passenger's to aim a bit further inwards to close a "gap" in my headlights that is dead straight ahead of the car.

diesabora

TDI
2004 Jetta GL TDI, Spice Red, 2015 Golf Sportwagon SEL
Well, today I installed a leather interior on my 2004 Jetta TDI. I found one in great shape for a reasonable price. Now I have to run the harness for the seat heaters, and install the door cards. this also means upgrading the door speakers. More work ahead!

tjpeterson96

TDI
04 bew jetta
Installed the Darkside FMIC kit on my bew. It fit with my evolution skidplate with a minor modification to mounting post. i took pics so i might post an installation thread

Last edited:

PB_NB

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 New Beetle
Put a MKV GLI steering wheel in the Beetle today. The steering wheel has controls for volume, phone, menu controls and paddle shifters!

Too bad the Beetle is a five speed and not a DSG! Maybe I will hook up the paddles to the high beams as a flash option or use them for my NOS controller :)

sawmilldon

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Wagon
Loaded the Malone stage 4 tune into Flashzilla.
About a week away from driving the 2004 PD wagon with Koni FSD's, Eibach springs a new 5 speed manual with South Bend Stage 2 daily!
I am a bit poorer but this is quite a refresh.

Outlier

TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL
I replaced the t-bolt on the positive battery terminal in the white Golf so I can drive it again. Now I can give the blue Golf some downtime before it goes under the knife.

Judson

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Starter died. Knew it was dying but caught me off guard. So got it towed back to my house and the guys at Big Al's towing actually manipulated the bed and my car to get my car up on my ramps. Very artful.

Anyway, replaced starter, all good now.

Last edited:

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Loaded the Malone stage 4 tune into Flashzilla.
About a week away from driving the 2004 PD wagon with Koni FSD's, Eibach springs a new 5 speed manual with South Bend Stage 2 daily!
I am a bit poorer but this is quite a refresh.
Sounds awesome!

Todd13

TDI
03 golf tdi
I checked my ip timing with BCD’s and found out that I was running out of spec (very retarded ) so after about 20 attempts I have it just above the blue line. I have a 03 golf tdi with egr delete, dlc 520 nozzles, new injection pump, and karmatdi tune. Would my timing of 55 be alright for my mods or so I advance. I’ve been searching all around the last few days and the general concensus seems to be just below the green line, what do you guys think? Oh and also thinking about doing cage mod tomorrow morning.

Todd

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I checked my ip timing with BCD’s and found out that I was running out of spec (very retarded ) so after about 20 attempts I have it just above the blue line. I have a 03 golf tdi with egr delete, dlc 520 nozzles, new injection pump, and karmatdi tune. Would my timing of 55 be alright for my mods or so I advance. I’ve been searching all around the last few days and the general concensus seems to be just below the green line, what do you guys think? Oh and also thinking about doing cage mod tomorrow morning.

Todd
Best setting is always that in which everything works well. I'd drive with it set at 55 and see what you think. I'd like to say that I've heard 60 as being a good number to shoot for, be around, but, again, it depends on how you're specific car reacts. Anything between the upper and lower lines are "in-spec."

Cage mod, as in tweaking the MAF? Why? A properly working MAF will provide full performance. I'm running DLC520 nozzles and Malone Stage 2 tunes in THREE cars and I have excellent performance and FE is 50mpg+. Could I tweak things a bit more? Probably, but the efforts wouldn't likely produce enough difference to be worth my time (and if an adjustment doesn't work out then I'm having to adjust again). If things are working don't break things;) Dive more, worry less.

BTW - I's Kerma, with an "e," tune.

fruitcakesa

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 jetta 5 spd wagon
New cam position sensor cured the long crank starts that I inherited when I bought the car 20k miles ago, what a change:)!
Engine oil and filter changed and I am eyeing the fuel filter next

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Yesterday, drove the Golf to NYC and back. I felt a little out of place in the garage in midtown with the BMWs, Porsches, and Mercedes. And it isn't black or white.

JohnTso

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Desert Jetta & 2015 Passat SEL

Todd
What is the meaning of "BCD's"?