What did you do to your MKIV today?

ACHTUNG TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS Sedan, Silver (sold); 2016 Jetta TSI 1.8t Sport, 5 sp, LP; 2014 BMW 328d xDrive Sport Wagon (wife's)
After 15 years and 8+ months and 340,000+ miles of ownership I sold my 2001 GLS TDI.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Put winter tires on the wife's Golf as well as the new [blue] Golf. First time to use my new garage (though it's not finished yet).

TwinTurboKen

TDI
04 Jetta 5-spd TDI
Installed a Euro switch and upgraded the headlights.

They are ecode housings with mini H1 bi-xenon projectors with 4500k HID bulbs retrofitted into them by jeff @ midwest light creations.

You'll have to forgive the leaves and rain on the car...It's a bit wet and windy today.

Lights off.

City Lights on (parking lights) **Note the housings are Ecode so the amber turn signals don't light up with parking lights anymore since they are single filament bulbs. They use "city lights" instead which are a small 194 3w bulb**

Low beams on

Hi beams on

People who don't already know better would be surprised at the light output difference between proper bi-xenon projectors vs halogen reflector/projectors with HIDs put in them.

I'll get some pics of light output tonight when its dark out with both low beam and hi beam :)

I drove with them last night after making a few short road tests to get them adjusted properly and I was very impressed with hi beam output...WOW! low beams are great as well..they are brighter than my hi beams used to be with the stock halogens. Though it does take a little getting used to seeing that sharp cutoff of light and the slight rainbow effect at the cutoff.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TwinTurboKen, yeah it should be illegal to put HIDs in halogen fixtures. I have a set of headlights from same vendor that I'm needing to install in the daughter's wagon: can't get them in fast enough! A "friend" of hers stuck in HIDs into the stock lenses- grr! Looks like crap. Sadly, most people don't understand that while the light output appears greater it is actually worse for driving performance: great if you want to park and look at all the light output, but for PROJECTING that light down the roadway in a purposeful manner it's crap.

TwinTurboKen

TDI
04 Jetta 5-spd TDI
TwinTurboKen, yeah it should be illegal to put HIDs in halogen fixtures.
Should be? LOL it already IS illegal! Its just not enforced unless you really piss off a police officer.

Worst part is I have seen official marked police cruisers that have illegally retrofitted HIDs into halogen reflector housings *facepalm*

any who; the pics are a little crappy as it was raining and I stopped in the middle of the road (very late at night so no traffic) but I didn't want to stay more than a few seconds to take the pics. and its from a phone camera.

The pictures really do it no justice because of the camera contrast vs how the human eye sees it. everything in the background is much brighter than what the camera can show.

benson4349

TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon (ALH, MT)
Wrapped up a big job under the hood involving a dieselgeek Van Gogh bracket, timing belt & water pump, new engine-side bracket and mount, vac lines all around, new air, cabin, and fuel filters, other minutiae...

I've never done work as involved as a timing belt and mount swap before, but it was made easy using the resources here on the forum. Still, I had to cross my fingers before turning the key and was elated that I hadn't destroyed my head when it fired up (I'd cranked the engine manually after doing the TB, so I knew I'd done the job right... But since this experience has had many firsts for me, there was nervous anticipation aplenty).

Tonight/this weekend I'll be installing new engine skirts (missing when I bought the car) & Evo skid plate, inner front fenders (thrashed by PO), refinishing the headlights, and slapping the front bumper and cover back on.

TDIGAZ

Veteran Member
TDI
Current: 2003 Jetta GLS Grey 5 spd. Previous: 2003 Jetta GLS Silver 5 spd (lost in a collision)
1000 posts... WOW!

I started this thread a little over a year ago, and now over 1000 posts. :D
I've seen and read way too many "Dieselgate" posts, and I do empathize with those folks, but it is great to see us MKIV guys and gals still working on / living with / getting challenged by / but mostly enjoying our good old TDI's.
Now back on topic...
Today my Jetta passed the Ontario emission's test (E-test) with flying colours, so I'm good for another few years. :)

TwinTurboKen

TDI
04 Jetta 5-spd TDI
took the bumper off a few more times. gotten rather good and quick at it lol.

had to rotate the projectors a bit in the headlights to make them both level. It was driving me nuts that the drivers side was off quite a bit. then had to repair one of the HID bulbs as the wire had pulled out of the bulb. ended up having to solder it back on to the pin. all working again and nice and level cutoffs now.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
benson4349, great job!

I completed my winter tire swaps today, got the last of the herd shod for winter.

franklinstower

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 gsw 6mt wagon
Saturday I installed a new clutch - the luk 17-050, amazing light pedal feel. I am going to give it a tank, then I will put the malone 1.5 tune back on. Couldn't run it with the worn out stock clutch. Yesterday was swapping on the Hakka snow tires, reset the torsion from -1 to +3.9. I was having some rough cold weather starts, the advanced cam timing has helped that out.
Today I put the pipe wrap on the front grill.

worldadventurephoto

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 Jetta 6spd Sedan W/Premium
I took it to the self car wash

Car has been sitting for a long time, through most of fall and was quite the mess. So a self-wash was in store. Sad to know this might be one of my last times driving these awesome wheels, before the hand-back.

worldadventurephoto

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 Jetta 6spd Sedan W/Premium
And after the wash...

I pulled the biggest trailer I have to date with the car. The Uhaul 6x12 tandem axle which weighs in almost 2/3 the weight of the car, empty that is.

jmarvin

TDI
2004 JettaTDI
Put the Blizzak's back on for the winter ahead. Replaced the crappy OEM Enertec battery with an EverStart Maxx Lead Acid H7 purchased from Wally World.

Also, got my JL Audio Stealthbox in the mail today. Anybody that's owned one, can you confirm whether or not the bolt that the spare tire attaches to is somewhat loose or not? It doesn't seem like it should be but maybe I'm wrong. Here is a short video I shot of what I'm talking about.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Clean car, but you posted in the wrong forum.;)
Yeah, I've washed my car once this year. Could be worse, I have never washed one of my tractors: the other one is too new to have a time-lapse no-wash video of:D

My wife has, apparently, and after she was saying that SHE was going to be cleaning it, arranged to have the blue Golf cleaned/detailed. We haven't yet figured out how to do this with anything other than a green Golf, so I suppose it'll be a learning experience:rolleyes:

OK, I see that the remark was because it's not an MKIV, not that there's a forum for actual "clean" cars!

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Some new posters don't know what generation car they have, but that's OK. I could not live with that brown color though.
Actually with only a quick glance, it is easy to transpose MKIV and MKVI. Thus it is understandable.

However, the lack of "standardization" on generation nomenclature is a problem: Roman or Arabic numerals? Upper or lower case "k"? I prefer Roman and lowercase.

hey_allen

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
I helped my housemates replace the radiator in their soon to be driving son's car to be (a 2000 Jetta 2.0L) since it sprung a steam leak as soon as they got it home from buying it from a private seller.
Poking about turned up a cracked upper radiator hose fitting, which wobbled alarmingly and then broke off as we were trying to see where the moisture was coming from.

The radiator from my TDI parts car dropped right in, other than having to swap the coolant temp sender, so a few hours of wrenching, (including getting the almost-driver to do a good bit, in the name of learning about car maintenance!) and the "new" radiator was in place.

I have to say, it could have been worse, but what a pain to replace a radiator in a MK4 car!

Beyond that, and on my car, I just replaced the battery this evening. With the temperatures only down around 18*F yesterday it was a bit alarming with slow cranking, and this morning, it barely managed to crank up, giving an ominous slow turn over, then a couple slightly faster, before finally catching. Since I hadn't done anything with it in the couple of years that I've owned the car, I figured that it is maintenance that just has to be done.

We'll have to see how it goes tomorrow morning, but so far the new Diehard Gold AGM seems to be serving well.

Follow up report: the battery did fix the cold weather starting issues, and it cranked up with good speed and no stuttering.

Last edited:

TwinTurboKen

TDI
04 Jetta 5-spd TDI
Made a winter front for it and drove it in the snow.

Did my winter front similar but slightly different than most of them that I have seen in the winter front thread...

I used the 1/2" pipe insulation like others, but I installed it from behind the grille rather than in front of the grille.

Removed the grille, cut and placed the insulation, and zip-tied it in place

then did 1 full slot of the bottom grille insert and just folded the insulation and squished it in there and wrapped with zip ties to hold in place. I didn't block all 3 slots in the bottom one to allow some air since most of the winter it is usually not below freezing here. but this week has been staying around freezing or well below.

It did well in the snow last night. warmed up in about 5 mins.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
Mk4 or not.... It was needed. This will be the 4th snow on them too.

Sent from my S-Off'ed HTC One...

gmenounos

Vendor
TDI
'99.5 Golf GLS, '01 Jetta GLX Wagon (TDI conversion)
Put on the snow tires today. While I had the wheels off, I noticed this on the Golf:

:eek:

I had an alignment done back in June after I replaced the tie rod so it looks like they were careless. I'm guessing I should go back and ask them to redo it in case it worked itself out of alignment.

I'm also unimpressed by the rustproofing on that tie rod (Lemforder). It's only been on the car 6 months (summer and fall). The other side I replaced at the same time with a Genuine VW tie rod and there's no rust on it at all.

While I was putting snow tires on the wagon, I took a peek underneath to see if I could spot why it had gotten so loud lately. Mystery solved:

Glad I picked up a spare downpipe earlier this year.

Last edited:

xoman60

TDI
Passat SEL Premium, 2013 and a jetta GLS, 2002, black, 2011 jetta TDI
Today I got my xm radio working finally. Tomorrow though is much more work. I'm having the suspension refresh from ECS tuning level 3 kit installed. Also news shocks and struts. My 99.5 jetta has 220k so it really needs its. Also probably do the axle beam bushings next week. Can't wait to drive it after the work is done. I drive 130 miles a day so I will be glad when all the rattling is fixed.

TwinTurboKen

TDI
04 Jetta 5-spd TDI
stitched back together my splash guard so it would stop rubbing the belt and pulleys on the engine every time I got the car up to cruise speed.

Previous owner apparently bottomed out pretty hard on something and split, cracked and broke a lot of the bottom of the passenger side splash guard. Drilled holes in both sides of the breaks in the plastic and zip tied it together as a temp fix.

Same time I had the plastic skid pan down I replaced the thermostat. Not too hard to do at all when you have the right tools :) I went out earlier and bought a 10mm 1/4" drive flex socket to get at that bottom bolt without pulling the alternator. Made life much easier.

Holding a solid 190* on the gauge now and nice warm heat now :) where before the swap it would only warm to 160ish....creep up to 190 and quickly drop back down to 160ish.