What did you do to your MKIV today?

underwhelmd

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Beetle
Swapped broken glovebox for a larger interior model from an 05.

I spent a bit of time reading this first:
http://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/glove-box-door-and-handle-faq-and-repair-for-mk4-vw/

much larger.... and less grey:

The light plug is different but it fits in with some effort. The old plunger isn't used.

minus one glovebox

this needs to come out.... I was extremely glad to have a 8mm wratcheting wrench. it's all that will fit in there.

it's in. I travel light. All I need is a USB charging cord a ramones cd and a faith no more cd in case the satellite radio isn't working.

the new style glovebox does not have the arm the attaches here. so one less mount point.

and done

I'll change over the lock mech some day I'm feeling patient.

mazzystr

TDI
2004 Golf GLS Tdi (BEW)
Just gave mine a quick bath.

Tomorrow she gets new shoes... Konig Runtime 18x8's + Conti ExtremeContact DWS06's. Discount tire is doing the install.

BigKevinW

TDI
2001 Beetle
Didn't do it today, but last year. Never shared it on this thread, anyway, so I think I'm clear.

This was just after my lift. 2" front, 2.5" rear. Stock wheels and tires shown.

underwhelmd

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Beetle
I took the battery and tray out to clean the grounds under it. There was some corrosion. Also cleaned the connections at the starter and the ground on the block.

Hopefully when I turn the key, I won't hear the dreaded: rrrr rrrrr click.

underwhelmd

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Beetle
Couple things on the go...

Fuel filter and all the clips to install all the splash guards. Bough these from Roseland Tech... great service.

I bought this driver door mech used. It's from an 04 or 05. The amount of work involved in replacing will make this a ~someday soon when I have nothing else to do~ job. I just wanted it onhand to fix my door when I wanted to.

Also replaced the puddle light and switch bezel on the drive door. Having trouble getting the trim/clip to fit but not giving up.

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
Removed the intake manifold and turbo from the old Beetle today. Goddamn rust...every bolt but one on the EGR piping had to be cut off. I'll have to drill them all out this week.

Intake wasn't too dirty...nothing like my Golf was when I bought it. EGR valve has a little gunk in it, but nothing serious.

These kind of nuts and bolts laugh at penetrating oil:

That'll buff right out...

The bottom bracket on the turbo was already cracked and broken off...

I think I might keep this banjo bolt for a souvenir...lol.

Oh well, a few more parts to remove tomorrow, and then I'll be cleaning parts, intake and EGR, and drilling bolts out all week. My plan is to get the old girl runnin' and rollin' next weekend.

where2

Veteran Member
TDI
One '13 JSW_TDI & One '04 Variant_TDI
Checked the vital fluids and tire pressures. Tossed the 40% lower cushion back into my back seat (has been out for 3+ years) and drove some family and friends around. Upon arriving at our first destination, one rear door wouldn't open, (unlocked, but wouldn't unlatch from either inside or outside). So, when I got home, I managed to get it open and did some maintenance and lubrication on it.

Showed my TDI friend, the guy who got me into VW's, what the serpentine tensioner should look like when your clutched alternator pulley isn't toast. He said his tensioner bobs all over the place. Loaned him my Metalnerd Alt-pulley tool. He can mail the tool back to me from his home in Virginia, after he does the R&R on his '03 Wagon_TDI... At least he had a sense of humor when the rear door of my wagon wouldn't open, having been around VW's for 50+ years.

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
Wow. Huge job. Best of luck that it goes smoothly.

Is the engine out of it?
No, engine is still in the car. I bought it as a project...it came with a bad injection pump and a bad turbo, among other things. It has pretty low kms as old TDI's go...only 208,000 kms, which for a 16 year old diesel VW is not common.

The rust has made things slow...when almost every bolt has to be either cut off, or drilled out, or both...I almost prefer if the heads snap off...at least it's quick...lol.

In any case, it's going pretty good so far. The intake and exhaust ports in the head are relatively clean, and the valves and valve stems appear to be nice and clean as well. I'll spend today and a few evenings this week cleaning and preparing parts so that I can get everything back together next weekend.

underwhelmd

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Beetle
No, engine is still in the car.

I was trying to picture how you would get a drill in that area and have room to work. I guess you are under it... hoist?

Good luck with it. Take pics pls.

I'll be under the Jetta again today adjusting the activator. I don't have a hoist so it's an effort to be safe.... I don't like it but needs to be done. I'll be driving to Yarmouth in the storm tomorrow.

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
I was trying to picture how you would get a drill in that area and have room to work. I guess you are under it... hoist?
No hoist, no. Car is on axle stands.

Well, the only nuts and bolts I had to cut and/or drill on the car were the three for the downpipe flange on the turbo, and the two M8 bolts where the pipe flange is on the inlet side of the EGR cooler.

Luckily, on the three downpipe nuts, the one that is the most difficult to reach snapped off...that was a good thing. As for the other two, I just drill through the side of the nut, and then you can use a hammer and chisel to peel the nut off the stud. Of the remaining two, I did one from below, and one from above.

For the EGR bolts, I cut the head off one with a zip cut disk on the angle grinder, and I drilled through the side of the head on the other. Then you can use a chisel to snap the head off.

And all that is just to get the stuff off the car...lol. It took me another hour and a half to drill what was left of the three broken M8 bolts out of the EGR cooler flanges.

I'm going to make use of the warm weather and go outside to sand blast some rusty parts now. I still have to get the VNT actuator set-up on the turbo I'm installing in the Beetle, but I can do that through the week. It's a little easier to do with the turbo on the bench.:D

I'll post up some before and after pics later.

Rem

TDIGAZ

Veteran Member
TDI
Current: 2003 Jetta GLS Grey 5 spd. Previous: 2003 Jetta GLS Silver 5 spd (lost in a collision)
CEL/MIL Today, P0672 Glow Plug

Car displayed the CEL/MIL light shortly after startup this morning. Scanned car with an OBD code reader and got a P0672 code. This is a glow plug fault. Checked each glow plug tip for resistance to ground and 3rd glow plug from timing belt was the bad one.
I'm all out of spares but called my VW guru (Matt "Volkswheels", member here on TDIClub) and he had a spare used one which he kindly donated. Thanks Matt.
I put the used glow plug in, cleared the CEL and all is good again. Ready for the cold days ahead.
Ordered a new set of 4 glow plugs and will install all 4 when they arrive.

Last edited:

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
Finished cleaning the NB intake and EGR valve this evening. It's nice to have everything all clean and shiny for re-installation.

EGR valve before...

EGR valve after...

Intake manifold as clean as its going to get. Sealing surfaces all buffed up, and all eleven M6 threaded holes all chased and cleaned up as well.

Still have to do the ports in the head, but they're not bad at all. A rag damp with solvent should clean them up nicely. Then it's on to cleaning the sealing surfaces on the cylinder head, and fixing the loose nipple on the vacuum pump.

deejaaa

Veteran Member
TDI
FOR SALE, 2002 Jetta GLS, 5 speed
removed front wheels last week for brake inspect, saw missing sway bar end link bolt. ordered replacement and put it on today. FYI, needs thread locker to prevent them from dropping out.

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
Right on. Nice work. What solvent did you use to clean that?
I use Lacquer Thinner from the paint section at Canadian Tire. It's cheap @ $8/L. Scrape the heavy stuff out first with a flat head screwdriver, then I scrub it out with the thinner and a toothbrush (always save your old toothbrushes for your toolbox:). Spray rinse with brake cleaner, and you're done like dinner.

I remove the ASV actuator from the side of the EGR valve while cleaning so I don't damage it or get any solvent on the rubber/plastic parts. I'm also careful while cleaning to always keep the EGR upright so no solvent ends up running into the top where the EGR diaphragm is.

This EGR valve and intake was actually not that bad...they get much worse than what is in my pics above. This is at 208,000 kms, first cleaning. I bought my Golf with 276,000 kms on it, I could barely fit my index finger through the hole in the center.:D. It wasn't so quick to clean.

If you do clean your EGR and/or intake, do not do them on the car. They have to be removed. If you do use the Lacquer Thinner, make sure you have good gloves. I buy those Grease Monkey 5mil work gloves by the box, and the Lacquer Thinner will eat through them in a minute or two. I usually put two pairs on, and then change them often while using this stuff.

http://bcfasteners.com/shop/watson-gloves-grease-monkey-5554pf-5mil/

If you can remove all the M8 screws from your EGR cooler flanges, you can simply leave it connected to the hoses and tie it out of the way back against the firewall while you remove the intake manifold. $25 bucks will get you all the new gaskets, and Roseland always has them in-stock. It makes for quick...albeit dirty, tune-up work. If those M8 socket heads are bad/rusty...and break or strip, well...the job suddenly becomes much less fun.:cool:

Jetiwarrior

TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon GLS
Replaced lift pump on 2004 BEW Jetta wagon. Vehicle only has 27,000 miles and I was surprised pump failed this early. I will take it apart when I have time and post results. Fuel tank was clean inside after I pumped all fuel out. This made it easier to replace pump.

holysirsalad

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta, 2001 Golf in pieces
Nice photos Rembrant, last page had me laughing at the rot (car must be from Ontario!)

On my '03 Jetta Wagon in the last couple days I managed to do the air filter, fuel filter, and put the PROPER plug on cyl 1 fuel injector (or cyl 4? I can never remember - the one by the belts) instead of my electrical tape and zip tie quick fix.

Fuel filter must've been oooold - limp mode incidents are greatly reduced and it's a little peppier! (first changes done on new-to-me car with 415,000 KM)

Come this spring I'll be cleaning the intake - probably have to drill a bunch of bolts out

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
Replaced lift pump on 2004 BEW Jetta wagon. Vehicle only has 27,000 miles and I was surprised pump failed this early. I will take it apart when I have time and post results. Fuel tank was clean inside after I pumped all fuel out. This made it easier to replace pump.
You only have 27,000 miles on a 2004? Wow. That has to be the newest old TDI around.

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
I took a picture of the odometer rolling 550,000 kms
If there was a "Like" button, I'd hit it for that...lol. My 03 Golf just hit 331,000 kms this week, and I'll put 800k on it if the body will last that long...lol.

Nice photos Rembrant, last page had me laughing at the rot (car must be from Ontario!)
LOL, we live in rust huh? The Maritimes is a bad place for rust. Just the nature of the winters here means lots of salt. I know it's bad in Ontario too.

You only have 27,000 miles on a 2004? Wow. That has to be the newest old TDI around.
Wow 2...that is low mileage for an 04. Nice.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
Removed the intake manifold and turbo from the old Beetle today. Goddamn rust...every bolt but one on the EGR piping had to be cut off. I'll have to drill them all out this week.

Intake wasn't too dirty...nothing like my Golf was when I bought it. EGR valve has a little gunk in it, but nothing serious.

These kind of nuts and bolts laugh at penetrating oil:

That'll buff right out...

The bottom bracket on the turbo was already cracked and broken off...

I think I might keep this banjo bolt for a souvenir...lol.

Oh well, a few more parts to remove tomorrow, and then I'll be cleaning parts, intake and EGR, and drilling bolts out all week. My plan is to get the old girl runnin' and rollin' next weekend.
I'm scared to see what the car itself looks like....

Sent from my One using Tapatalk

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
I'm scared to see what the car itself looks like....
It's a Beetle, the rest of it is made out of plastic...lol.

It's no different than any other 16 year old car around here. The body on this thing isn't all that bad, but the engine and suspension components were pretty rusty. You get used to working on this stuff after a while.:D

hey_allen

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
I just broke down and snagged a deal on a set of Sprint520 injectors...
At 265k/mi, I figure it's probably due for a nozzle refresh, and going a half step larger shouldn't hurt.
(With my luck, the IP or the clutch will decide that, no, that half step was too much.. :p )

underwhelmd

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Beetle
relay 109.... added to the spares I travel with:

oil change. I put 10,000 Km on it already.

Located the last piece I needed to put the splash guards on.

Swapped the last grey panels off my dash for black.

it was sunny today so I was able to wash this off: