What did you do to your MKIV today?

Bradm

Veteran Member
TDI
02,03,05, Jetta 99.5 Golf
Interstate aren't what they used to be, nor Optima. You can fit an H8 in these cars with a minor mod to the battery tray.

I had interested batteries on my truck since 2014 that lasted until this last year. Switched to Deka from a lot of the diesel truck forums (had read a lot about the interstate decline, didn't want to go that route). Put a new Deka in the BMW too. We'll see how they go
Yes, deka’s are good batteries. East penn.

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI

Picked up a trunk lid with the little built in spoiler from a newer Jetta . My current lid has an old rust fix starting to show through. Next on the list will be some better fenders which as soon as I get I’ll be removing the crud pocket.
When I was in a yard looking for a new trunk lid (rust around the lights for the tag, working its way down) I had just completely pulled a “normal” one. Then looked at a second Jetta an aisle over, and it was a late one with the integrated lip spoiler. So I left the old one and pulled the one like yours. +25 ponies!

CanadianALH

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta 5spd 2006 Jetta DSG (wifes)
When I was in a yard looking for a new trunk lid (rust around the lights for the tag, working its way down) I had just completely pulled a “normal” one. Then looked at a second Jetta an aisle over, and it was a late one with the integrated lip spoiler. So I left the old one and pulled the one like yours. +25 ponies!
I was thinking about Jetta a red Tdi badge as well to add even more hp 🤣

CanadianALH

Veteran Member
TDI
My better half loves the fact her mommy wagon goes like stink, but she has no interest in advertising it.
Yeah there is that as well… right now it has no badges the red kinda tips people off to what’s up

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
Yeah there is that as well… right now it has no badges the red kinda tips people off to what’s up
Mine had a red TDI badge when I got it (just 2 letters I believe). Never knew what it meant (PO must have put it on), just liked the theme because it had a red interior sport seats.

I think at this point, it's earned that badge now and some.

CanadianALH

Veteran Member
TDI
Mine had a red TDI badge when I got it (just 2 letters I believe). Never knew what it meant (PO must have put it on), just liked the theme because it had a red interior sport seats.

I think at this point, it's earned that badge now and some.
I think I’ve earned at least two red letters lol. I plan on doing a turbo may as well do all red

dieseldonato

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 jetta
Related to the interstate batteries, my uncle sells them at his shop, previously under their national wide branding. Last year at some point they discontinued the nation wide branding (was a regular interstate battery with a second sticker over the interstate sticker.) Around the same time their whole line up changed, and they no longer offered "seconds" or "reconditioned" batteries. something has definitely changed but idk what all changed.

ducatipaso

Airhead Butcher
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI

Picked up a trunk lid with the little built in spoiler from a newer Jetta . My current lid has an old rust fix starting to show through. Next on the list will be some better fenders which as soon as I get I’ll be removing the crud pocket.
OMG I want one of these lids so bad!

benmarks

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS Sedan Platinum Gray
Interstate aren't what they used to be, nor Optima. You can fit an H8 in these cars with a minor mod to the battery tray.

I had interested batteries on my truck since 2014 that lasted until this last year. Switched to Deka from a lot of the diesel truck forums (had read a lot about the interstate decline, didn't want to go that route). Put a new Deka in the BMW too. We'll see how they go
If you're someone for whom this matters, Deka batteries are still made in the USA too.

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
OMG I want one of these lids so bad!
The later ones like this are missing the finger pocket. If I get the opportunity, one with the OEM addition like posted on Vortex is how I would take it... :) Though I might prefer to avoid obvious 'go faster' bits.
(10) Jetta "Wolfsburg Edition" | VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum

For my black '02 swap that came to me with a fine re-paint, and no badges, I got a blackened, 'red I' TDI badge.
FOR VW TDI GOLF/JETTA METAL BUMPER TRUNK DOOR GRILL EMBLEM DECAL BADGE BLACK RED | eBay

Douglas

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
The later ones like this are missing the finger pocket. If I get the opportunity, one with the OEM addition like posted on Vortex is how I would take it... :) Though I might prefer to avoid obvious 'go faster' bits.
(10) Jetta "Wolfsburg Edition" | VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum

For my black '02 swap that came to me with a fine re-paint, and no badges, I got a blackened, 'red I' TDI badge.
FOR VW TDI GOLF/JETTA METAL BUMPER TRUNK DOOR GRILL EMBLEM DECAL BADGE BLACK RED | eBay

Douglas
What’s the “finger pocket?”

I like the late lip 'spoiler' because it is very subtle. Reminds me of the MkIII trunk lid and the Votex lip spoiler you could get on the MkII Jetta.

benmarks

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS Sedan Platinum Gray
The East Penn/Deka batteries are also sold at Batteries+ stores under the Duracell Platinum brand. I may be mis-remembering, but I don’t think the Gold ones are also Deka.

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
Yesterday I took my wagon for a short drive and put 15 miles on it or so since doing all the recent work to it. Timing belt, cam, intake cleaning, new vacuum lines and delete. Turns out if your car can breath the automatic really isn't all that terrible. I also finished buttoning up the front end left over from the TB change and now there is only a short list of things until it gets driven.
Did you end up recoding the transmission into sport mode without adaptive logic, or is it still on the factory coding?

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)
Did you end up recoding the transmission into sport mode without adaptive logic, or is it still on the factory coding?
I only have a vcds lite ebay dongle. I tried it amd ot wouldn't allow me to. Waiting till i get a actual cable. I still haven't timed the car with vcds either. I think i can use the graph download on rosstech, but I will find out for certain on Saturday.

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Swapped out original right axle (torn inner boot and loose small end of outer boot) with a new (not reground) Chaxle I got for 37$ clearance on Rock Auto. Yes, I saved the original and will rebuild them for when the China crap fails.

Also changed the right output shaft seal, as it was seeping after I pulled the right flange to change the clutch last December. This necessitated draining the tranny fluid, which was fairly new, half redline and half Pennzoil syncromesh. Refilled with the Liqui-Moly 75W manual trans lube got 2 liters in it. I saved what I drained in a clean container.

MORTAMIR

Veteran Member
TDI
MKIV GOLF 05 BEW, 05 Jetta Wagon(not rolling),2000 Golf, DURAMAX LBZ, X5 35D
Went to the yard and pulled a reflex silver front bumper cover off a golf. Mine has 15+ year old 3m clear bra that is not clear anymore. Tried to get it off but it's just not happening. Going after the hood on Saturday.

ducatipaso

Airhead Butcher
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
Went to the yard and pulled a reflex silver front bumper cover off a golf. Mine has 15+ year old 3m clear bra that is not clear anymore. Tried to get it off but it's just not happening. Going after the hood on Saturday.
I just did this with a hood for the Jetta. uniblack is always a perfect match

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,glutton for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Nice looking car!

MORTAMIR

Veteran Member
TDI
MKIV GOLF 05 BEW, 05 Jetta Wagon(not rolling),2000 Golf, DURAMAX LBZ, X5 35D
Almost got my transmission out of the wagon. Stripped one of the bolts on the passanger side axle and just need to drop it at this point. Then it is going into storage. Any suggestions on things to do to help preserve it?

The Cream Dolphin

Veteran Member
TDI
02 VW Golf TDI ALH 245k
Later, daughter brought her gasser 05 Golf over. She couldn’t open her hatch. Had to clear everything out of thr back and take off hatch trim with it shut, which allowed me to open it up.

Issue is that the plastic lever from the handle is too far away from the metal relay lever that opens the catch.

I don’t know if something’s bent or not. I nested a couple vac caps that fit on the plastic lever and wrapped a lot of electrical tape around them, and now it opens. I’m not a fan of this, so I didn’t put the hatch trim back on yet.
Any ideas about what’s wrong? Do I need to get a new latch linkage?
Hey Ƶak you ever get this sorted out? It looks similar to an issue I had, my latch would not reach far enough, so the handle was just loose, not grabbing anything as though I had not clicked the button, or turned the hatch key. I took the ball type end off the servo arm, pushed it in/out several times, lubed it all up, and then it functioned again. I thought something was wrong too, but it worked. I have since rewired it to only lock with the driver door, which I absolutely love. And so far it still swings back and forth all the way, as needed.

Last edited:

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Hey Ƶak you ever get this sorted out? It looks similar to an issue I had, my latch would not reach far enough, so the handle was just loose, not grabbing anything as though I had not clicked the button, or turned the hatch key. I took the ball type end off the servo arm, pushed it in/out several times, lubed it all up, and then it functioned again. I thought something was wrong too, but it worked. I have since rewired it to only lock with the driver door, which I absolutely love. And so far it still swings back and forth all the way, as needed.
I did. It was the lock mechanism. First I noticed the rod that pivots the metal part out so that the plastic finger opens the hatch (from locked to unlocked) had popped out. I snapped it back in and called it fixed, but daughter said she was still having trouble.

Checked it again, and the pivots in the lock mechanism needed lube and exercise. Sprayed a bunch of Fluid Film on it and actuated it a bunch. Seems to be good now.

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Driving up a steep hill in Troy today, I felt a vibration as I went past 3200 rpm. Damn chaxle.

Pulled out my old one and started disassembly. Inner joint was fine and all, but the outer was not. Balls were pitted and there was obvious wear on both the inner and outer races.

Ordered from IDParts a new GKN outer joint and was going only to buy the inner boot, but I decided to go with a new inner anyway, the Metelli one.

I'll install the new joints and swap out the axle before I have to drive 2 1/2 hours for a concert later in the month.